• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Hands-on with DriveClub (second tech preview)

I dont want to ...defend nfs:rivals :D but we have to remember two things: a) nfs is open road b) day one launch game, and multiplat on top.
not too bad, considering it also sports day/night, weather, nice damage modeling (more than just changing textures), much more busy than your average racer with helicopter chases and road blocks, etc etc.
but as a negative, as I said above, eventhough motion blur is done quite nicely, just a switch to/from forza is very telling of what it masks.

a) considering the draw distances in DC and the large bandwidth of the PS4, that doesn't mean much
b) NFS's weather means jack shit for gameplay, and "nice damage modelling" is frankly hilarious since it's still very, very basic. And its chases got nothing on the sheer amount of roadside detail of DC.

I don't even know what's the point in comparing. Driveclub simply has much, much more thought put into it, while Rivals was another pump-another-one-out-every-year EA game: nice, but obviously not really thought through.

The mere fact that DC doesn't have horribly unbalanced gadgets, bogus stats (A Huayra has a higher top speed than a P1 since when?) and the strange tinkering they did with cops' cars so cop gameplay could actually work - cop cars on average have an enormous advantage on top speed and disadvantage on handling, which wouldn't normally be an issue if they had all cars available for both sides. - by itself puts DC on another level. Its technical superiority is just icing on the cake.

And the reason those features are there are because the engine hasn't got to deal with the additional technical demands and open world game has.
The game has been built from the ground up for eye candy, which is exactly why it isn't open world.

That doesn't make any sense.

2670750-4269673729-Excel.gif

19810-Wtf-Deandre-jordan-gif-Dafuq-g-yfoO.gif

i-Lo

Still seeing quite a bit of aliasing. That said, all else look good (can't be overstated).

Now, it's up to Evolution Studios to show what they can do at 30fps and (quasi) non-linearity with the next Motorstorm game.

Do you think that Uncharted or The Last of Us would have looked as good if they were free roam?

It's no coincidence that Infamous doesn't look as good as Killzone.

But what you said doesn't make sense, because eye candy and open worlds aren't mutually exclusive.

Infamous SS proves that.

S1kkZ

Relax. To some people, if a racer requires to use brakes, it's a sim.

Oh, come on, man.
Like laying off people once a game is released isn't common practice in this industry.

30-40% (?) of the team after you delivered a million seller? i dont care if its common, its a shitty thing to do. i didnt expect that shit from sony.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Do you think that Uncharted or The Last of Us would have looked as good if they were free roam?

Yes. I mean GTAV basically looks as good as some of the nicer looking linear games.

Modern streaming technology means open world doesn't necessarily mean uglier. I think it does mean that the assets take more time to create tho.

EvB

Yes. I mean GTAV basically looks as good as some of the nicer looking linear games.

Modern streaming technology means open world doesn't necessarily mean uglier. I think it does mean that the assets take more time to create tho.

GTA V is a lovely looking game, but it certainly wouldn't perform the same if you replaced all of the characters and NPC's with Ellen Page's Beyond model and all of the vehicles with the cars from Gran Turismo 6.

Case in point, Forza Horizon doesn't look as good as Forza Motorsport. Totally objectively if we looked purely at polycount and frame rate.

Right now, Drive Club would not look as good if it was an open world game, something has got to give. This isn't a criticism of Drive Club in any way, it is simply a fact.
People have mentioned the draw distance being huge, but are perhaps misunderstanding the function of reduced draw distances. You don't need to reduce the draw distance if the assets being rendered aren't demanding. In the case of background mountains, they are likely to be low geometry and low texture resolution, as anything higher quality would be wasted.

If the photo mode allows you to fly out of the car and get a foot away from distant trees and mountains that you wouldn't otherwise get near, then people are free to dig up this post.

Since always. The P1 really isn't geared for top speed.

It's still the best car ever made though. Just in case you were wondering.

True, the P1 isn't a dick-measuring speed contest like a Veyron, a Venom GT or a One:1 is, but it still has an advantage in power with the electric motor added in. I would expect them to have at least similar top speeds, not have the P1 behind the Huayra by what was, IIRC, a 0.5 different in speed scores in Rivals.

What Kev said: GTA V is a marvel of 'game engineering' in no small part thanks to its efficient streaming, something that's much easier this gen on the PS4, as I've pointed out extensively, due to its large memory bandwidth and reliance on complete HDD installs rather than loading mostly from slower optical drives.

GTA V was achieved with 25.6 GBps memory bw on PS3. PS4's is 196GBps. Sure, asset size is also increased, but it's still a large improvement. And yes, if you didn't have to worry about a larger map, you would have some extra resources to work with. That's undeniable. But it's not nearly as big a difference as many people on this thread are implying
with the intent of making FH2 seem like an equal marvel of coding, which is a tad childish

I must have mentioned this three times now, but have you seen how big is the map that Driveclub already has in its current, "closed" incarnation? Evo wouldn't have to worry about loading/unloading messing with draw distance, that's for sure.

No actual subsamples does that. Perhaps they should look into Phone-wire AA.

Curious why they chose FXAA for their PPAA instead of SMAA given everything we know about the two now. Surely their 30fps budget could allow that.

Maybe they want a softer look?

I agree. SMAA is better and most importantly not as soft as FXAA is. I´m always meh when i hear a game is using FXAA as its post process solution.

The game looks fantastic and I'm starting to feel a little hype for it. Most of it has to do with the white PS4 + DriveClub bundle. Is there a car list? And does it really not have any PGR-style city tracks?

E: 50 cars, according to the official PS blog. And looking at the revealed cars so far, it's mostly modern cars. That's definitely a bummer.

EvB

I think Second Son looks better than KZSF.

Again, it's a really pretty looking game (at a distance, which is obviously how you spend much of the game viewing the world/characters) The NPC's still have flying squirrel wingsuit armpits when they lift their arms, Delsin's face doesn't hold up to great scrutiny if you get close, the world doesn't have real time reflections and the lighting is mostly pre-baked.
Again, not a criticism, but these are all nips and tucks that have to be made in order to get the game to run and look the way they want it to look.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
GTA V is a lovely looking game, but it certainly wouldn't perform the same if you replaced all of the characters and NPC's with Ellen Page's Beyond model and all of the vehicles with the cars from Gran Turismo 6.

Well, yeah, that's true of all games (no game would perform well with Beyond's models). But all games don't do constant closeups or depend on little facial animations to tell stories, etc. The overall visual impression a game like GTA makes is why it is so effective. I don't think there's anything about GTA that a prudent man would point to and identify as lacking compared to a standard game.

Case in point, Forza Horizon doesn't look as good as Forza Motorsport. Totally objectively if we looked purely at polycount and frame rate.

Do you actually have details on the poly count of cars in Forza Horizon? I would think Forza Motorsport would be far more limited given the framerate. If you put Forza Horizon in a thread against Forza Motorsport and asked people to vote, I bet people would pick Forza Horizon as the better looking game. Seems sort of contentious.

Right now, Drive Club would not look as good if it was an open world game, something has got to give. This isn't a criticism of Drive Club in any way, it is simply a fact.

People have mentioned the draw distance being huge, but are perhaps misunderstanding the function of reduced draw distances. You don't need to reduce the draw distance if the assets being rendered aren't demanding. In the case of background mountains, they are likely to be low geometry and low texture resolution, as anything higher quality would be wasted.

If the photo mode allows you to fly out of the car and get a foot away from distant trees and mountains that you wouldn't otherwise get near, then people are free to dig up this post.

Based on what, though? Your conclusion seems to be based on the idea that open world must mean lower levels of detail in a way that would affect this particular type of game. I am not sure this is something that is a priori true. Again, maybe a game can't have Beyond character models in a dense, open world city. But what about having high levels of geometry elsewhere in the world or high resolution textures elsewhere in the world is immediately precluded by being open world? Why couldn't they just be streamed in as other parts of the world are streamed out?

I'm just confused since I have seen a number of open world games recently look as good as some of the best looking third party games and I'm wondering why, as a necessary and sufficient condition, an open world game cannot look as good as a more directed experience.

Again, it's a really pretty looking game (at a distance, which is obviously how you spend much of the game viewing the world/characters) The NPC's still have flying squirrel wingsuit armpits when they lift their arms, Delsin's face doesn't hold up to great scrutiny if you get close, the world doesn't have real time reflections and the lighting is mostly pre-baked.
Again, not a criticism, but these are all nips and tucks that have to be made in order to get the game to run and look the way they want it to look.

But so what? 99% of linear games' character models don't hold up to scrutiny when the camera gets up close. The same is true of prebaked lighting. There are many more design compromises here than those made solely for the sake of going open world.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I agree. SMAA is better and most importantly not as soft as FXAA is. I´m always meh when i hear a game is using FXAA as its post process solution.
It's not even the softness of FXAA I don't like, it's the combination of that and the fact it barely touches aliasing in motion.

I strongly disagree with the bolded.

EvB

Your conclusion seems to be based on the idea that open world must mean lower levels of detail in a way that would affect this particular type of game. I am not sure this is something that is a priori true. Again, maybe a game can't have Beyond character models in a dense, open world city. But what about having high levels of geometry elsewhere in the world or high resolution textures elsewhere in the world is immediately precluded by being open world? Why couldn't they just be streamed in as other parts of the world are streamed out?

I don't know, but I'm sure there are people that do know the reasons for why it doesn't happen. You only have to look at the campaign from say Battlefield and the Multiplayer mode to see that the overall quality isn't interchangeable between the title scripted corridors and the open world warfare.

But I do know that the mods for games like GTA and Skyrim that replace games with better quality assets, whether that be models, shaders, textures that this has an adverse effect on the performance of the game on the same hardware, therefore draw the conclusion (alongside my own observations)

le-seb

technologically, it is really not though (although its particle authoring system is more flexible).
No matter how better technologically speaking the KZ:SF engine is when its rain looks like big stinky 8 bit style shit.
The previous sentence may contain a bit of hyperbole.

The game looks fantastic and I'm starting to feel a little hype for it. Most of it has to do with the white PS4 + DriveClub bundle. Is there a car list? And does it really not have any PGR-style city tracks?
There's some car list on IGCD, that's been built from car appearance on trailers and P.R. pictures, and which should be close to the real thing (I'm pretty sure the Lambo won't make into the game, they referenced it from some design artwork, not trailers).
And no city racing, I'm afraid.

Cuyejo

I've been scrutinizing the clips from here: http://www.gamersyde.com/news_3_hq_driveclub_gameplay_clips-15752_en.html as they're pretty high quality, 1080p and the latest released and I can indeed vouch that their AA solution is pretty damn good, geometry gets excellent coverage, even thin assets in the distance, as does foliage. It falls short though in very specific cases such as the top and bottom of the rear glass and those dreary power lines.
From the article it seems they are still working on another layer, maybe those little issues will be solved at release.

This is nitpicking up to eleven, because otherwise the game looks amazing and far beyond anything in the genre.

No matter how better technologically speaking the KZ:SF engine is when its rain looks like big stinky 8 bit style shit.
This sentence may contain a bit of hyperbole.

There's some car list on IGCD, that's been build from car appearance on trailers and some pictures, and which should be close to the real thing.
And no city racing, I'm afraid.

Thank you! That car list is definitely not that hot. I get that the game is made in Europe, but a wider selection of international and more classic cars would've been really great. Maybe in the sequel. Evo has to start somewhere after all.

OsirisBlack

Banned
The graphics are really impressive but the gameplay doesn't feel like it's nexgen.

I think they focused to much on the looks and forgot about the fact that it's a game. It plays just like any other game where you drive a car and we've had plenty of those last gen.

The track design is just uninspired, I can see plenty of chest-high walls on the side of the road, I thought we were past that point.

I thought I was back in the Order 1886 thread then I looked at the title and laughed my ass off.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

E: 50 cars, according to the official PS blog. And looking at the revealed cars so far, it's mostly modern cars. That's definitely a bummer.

What's this about a bundle? I have the destiny bundle preorder but would potentially wait for a driveclub one as I'm not that into destiny

le-seb

Evo has to start somewhere after all.
Exactly. And they also probably want you to buy some DLC later.

What about some Mitsubishi/Subaru/Mazda/Nissan cars pack to come along the Japan location DLC?
And these California roads, guys, wouldn't they be better driven with some Mustang/Chevy/Tesla?

Tales from my ass. Just making sense to me.

Exactly. And they also probably want you to buy some DLC later.

What about some Mitsubishi/Subaru/Mazda/Nissan cars pack to come along the Japan location DLC?
And these California roads, guys, wouldn't they be better driven with some Mustang/Chevy/Tesla?

Tales from my ass. Just making sense to me.

It does make sense, but I'd probably rather wait for the sequel.

What's this about a bundle? I have the destiny bundle preorder but would potentially wait for a driveclub one as I'm not that into destiny

Amazon.de is offering a White PS4 + Driveclub bundle for €439. It's only interesting, because the solo white PS4 is apparently launching November 7th (according to Amazon) and the bundle is coming a month earlier.

qoexPZr.png

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00BIYAO3K/

Having DC packed in, even with that little of a discount, would be interesting to me. But I'll definitely wait for Amazon's Cyber Monday deals. I hope it gets some sort of sale then.

OmegaDL50

Thank you! That car list is definitely not that hot. I get that the game is made in Europe, but a wider selection of international and more classic cars would've been really great. Maybe in the sequel. Evo has to start somewhere after all.

Well to be honest, I'd rather have the approach of having a smaller focused car roster which all of the cars are useful in some fashion, compared to other games with inflated car lists and maybe only 30% of them are actually used.

I still think the complete lack of any JDM or American models is concerning.

I would have liked at least to see a Lexus LFA, Subaru BRZ, Toyota Supra Mk. IV, or the Skyline R34 for Japanese makes.

American would have been nice to see the Corvette Stingray, SRT Viper, or Ford GT.

The number of cars isn't an issue but rather the lack of international variety.

Well to be honest, I'd rather have the approach of having a smaller focused car roster which all of the cars are useful in some fashion, compared to other games with inflated car lists and maybe only 30% of them are actually used.

I still think the complete lack of any JDM or American models is concerning.

I would have liked at least to see a Lexus LFA, Subaru BRZ, Toyota Supra Mk. IV, or the Skyline R34 for Japanese makes.

American would have been nice to see the Corvette Stingray, SRT Viper, or Ford GT.

The number of cars isn't an issue but rather the lack of international variety.

That's what I meant. I'm not after a 500+ car count in a game like this, but a selection from the international market would've been great, plus cars that are considered classics, like the Supra Mark IV or Ford Mustang. It's like making a driving simulator and not including certain tracks like the Nordschleife. Sure, it's been done to death, but it seem like some kind of requirement at this point.

GoaThief

Looks so good, the bouncing off walls doesn't bode well for game play however.

Just hope that they don't screw it up after creating such a gorgeous thing.

Metfanant

#1 this is probably the PC version
#2 this is more arcade racing than "Rush 64"
#3 it's not open world
#4 there is not dynamics weather, only pre-processed weather changes, nothing random
#5 light is artificial (Good point for FH2)
#6 how much cars?
#7 no body or motor customization? Only paint? Paint its not the strongest point of Forza series?
#8 damage is softly creep
#9 the grass, or dirt, or tarmac, are the same thing
#10 washed colors and contrast
#11 there is some chances that not be 1080p
#12 its a more than 1 year delayed game
#13 there some cars to buy via micro transition right?
#14 there is only PS4 version, not old gen version (as FH2 on Xbox 360)
#15 the XO controller is a mile away better to "racing games" than PS4
#16 the XO console is better
#17 olny how much in the clubs?
(...)
#99 "I got 99 problems..."

Can anyone guess where this list came from in response to the DF article?

Top Bottom