• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PS4K / Neo spec leak is genuine, dev kits on their way to devs

I'm torn on the NEO. On one hand, It's exciting that we'll have an even more powerful PS4. On the other, the NEO is what will prevent me from adopting PSVR (for awhile anyways). I'd rather have the best PS console than a different way to play. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Indeed. That said, it would be a god thing for this to play UHD discs as it would drive adoption.

Agreed. And hence why Sony probably does not have a UHD drive in site this year yet. ;)

This is their UHD drive (hoping) they want to push first. Since it is basically their 'set top box'/games machine in one.

Kawika

Agreed. And hence why Sony probably does not have a UHD drive in site this year yet. ;)

This is their UHD drive (hoping) they want to push first. Since it is basically their 'set top box'/games machine in one.

Having the UHD in the machine is probably the only thing that would make me want to jump in on this. I kind of felt forced in a way to adopt a 4K tv because of the input lag and response time of most none 4K tvs in 2016. If I could have bought a 65" 1080p with nearly the same specs as my 4k I would have in a heart beat ( and probably saved a few hundred dollars). But now that I have a 4K tv, i really do want content for it. Sigh, they tricked me months ago and I didn't even realize it.

Asgaro

Ban them all.

gYjcZms.gif

Beerham

Banned
same discs
I did not know this. Very cool though, its really hard for me to find any down side to this and I'm starting to feel like the naysayers are just uneducated on the subject. It will be interesting to see how Sony markets this a at E3 but I like how the poster above a put it as sort of branding it as a slim console revision with added perks.

THE:MILKMAN

I did not know this. Very cool though, its really hard for me to find any down side to this and I'm starting to feel like the naysayers are just uneducated on the subject. It will be interesting to see how Sony markets this a at E3 but I like how the poster above a put it as sort of branding it as a slim console revision with added perks.

I now wonder if they'll just sell it as a slim without even mentioning performance upgrades or at least downplaying the differences. Sell off existing stock of PS4 fat and PS NEO becomes the new PS4.

I now wonder what they will call this given Osiris says it has a name. Could just be it remains PS4!

AlphaDump

Gold Member
If they are using 50gb as max threshold on the blu ray disks, doesnt that pose a potential bottleneck if games like uncharted 4 are already hitting that max capacity?

DieH@rd

Banned
If they are using 50gb as max threshold on the blu ray disks, doesnt that pose a potential bottleneck if games like uncharted 4 are already hitting that max capacity?

Ps4k has the same ammount of ram, assets will not get much better. 50gb is more than enough, and if someone want more, they can do it viaonline patch or via 2nd disc.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I now wonder if they'll just sell it as a slim without even mentioning performance upgrades or at least downplaying the differences. Sell off existing stock of PS4 fat and PS NEO becomes the new PS4.

I now wonder what they will call this given Osiris says it has a name. Could just be it remains PS4!

Can they actually do that?

Downplaying the differences is one thing but not at least mentioning the performance upgrades..or a reason to buy one...I dont know...

Will be curious how they do this tho.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Ps4k has the same ammount of ram, assets will not get much better. 50gb is more than enough, and if someone want more, they can do it viaonline patch or via 2nd disc.

I meant moreso in terms of pure storage capacity on the bluray itself, like if uncharted 4 hits 49gigs alone, a slight asset bump would clear the max easily. Though you are right about alternative solutions, like online or a 2nd disc.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Downplaying the differences is one thing but not at least mentioning the performance upgrades..or a reason to buy one...I dont know...

It's not about downplaying, it's about not distinguishing it from the current PS4 as a parallel model. So they can say "PS4 is adding x,y,z, same price, same box, same games, now better" not "PS4.5 is coming out with all these cool features at this higher price."

Audioboxer

This is the area where Sony could come unstuck. They can't expect the hardcore to buy into the Neo and then expect them to accept tiny upgrades so OG PS4 owners don't feel bad.

People buy new consoles just because slim revisions and new colours come out. Any upgrade to a games technical performance is going to be lapped up. Especially if all the constant bickering about DF articles are to mean anything.

THE:MILKMAN

I admit it seems unlikely but Sony are going out of their way to make PS NEO look, feel and work like the OG PS4 in every way from a user interface perspective. I don't think they'll completely hide the fact it is more powerful but they may not shout it from the rooftops, either.

Now release date prediction:

I'm going with September if this year. Both PS3 slims launched in this month 3 years apart.

• Project has been in concrete talks for about a year
  • PS4K won't replace the current PS4
  • Current PS4 to have a price drop when PS4K comes out (Sony is reportedly talking about a 'low price' model)
  • PS4K was initially made to boost the VR capability of PSVR
  • CPU and memory will get a boost
  • Games that are already out can get a graphical boost
  • The initial plan was to release the PS4K right after E3 but won't come out until fall 2016 (but no actual release date)
source http://www.gameblog.fr/news/58363-ps4-5-elle-existe-vraiment-nos-infos

• Current PS4 to have a price drop when PS4K comes out (Sony is reportedly talking about a 'low price' model)
  • The initial plan was to release the PS4K right after E3 but won't come out until fall 2016 (but no actual release date)
Can't wait for it!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
PS4K with better 1080p graphics would be epic.
That would be expected. PS4K with 4K native res games running at 60fps would be epic. And we all know that's not happening.

Still, I'd buy a PS4K day one if it can provide Bloodborne 1080P solid 60fps with no frame pacing issues. I'd buy one probably just for that alone and of course for better PSVR performance.

That would be expected. PS4K with 4K native res games running at 60fps would be epic. And we all know that's not happening.

Still, I'd buy a PS4K day one if it can provide Bloodborne 1080P solid 60fps with no frame pacing issues. I'd buy one probably just for that alone and of course for better PSVR performance.

There could be a few. Maybe, maybe Resogun at 4K? Hell they got that to run on a Vita at ~540p30 with all that crazy voxel physics :)

For most games though, 1080p native with strong anti-aliasing would be a god-send... oh my.

Just add a sprinkle of SSAA or MSAA and I am golden :)
PS4K with better 1080p graphics would be epic.
Uncharted 4 NEO mode is gonna be god-like.

You all wanted an affordable PS4 at launch.This comes at a price : subpar hardware.

The PS4 is clearly outdated and except for a few games here and there nothing has ever been impressive.

It's time for you guys to kiss your 5-6 years classic cycle goodbye and welcome the smartphonesque model with an upgrade every 2-3 years building upon the previous models without having to start from scratch again.

Yes Yoshida is right in a way, will there ever be a proper PS5 build up from the ground ? Doubt it.

Technology is moving very fast nowadays even the Neo will be an outdated dinosaur by the time 2019 rolls out.

Give me some Playstation with HBM technology and enough juice power to enable free 4K (I'm dreaming I know) by 2020 and I'll be a happy man.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
There could be a few. Maybe, maybe Resogun at 4K? Hell they got that to run on a Vita at ~540p30 with all that crazy voxel physics :)

For most games though, 1080p native with strong anti-aliasing would be a god-send... oh my.

Just add a sprinkle of SSAA or MSAA and I am golden :)
Uncharted 4 NEO mode is gonna be god-like.
Hahah I knew I should've put Housemarque in there as the exception. I kid you not as I was typing that exact sentence, their name kept flashing in my head as probably the earliest exception to this. IF anyone can do it and do it well with no bullshit/tricks, it'll be them w/out a doubt cause they are absolute technical wizards I feel.

And agreed, 1080P games at solid 60fps or 30fps with extra bells & whistles sounds nice. I better not see any frame pacing issues on the NEO or I will be pissed at the devs.

MuchoMalo

Banned
You all wanted an affordable PS4 at launch.This comes at a price : subpar hardware.

The PS4 is clearly outdated and except for a few games here and there nothing has ever been impressive.

It's time for you guys to kiss your 5-6 years classic cycle goodbye and welcome the smartphonesque model with an upgrade every 2-3 years building upon the previous models without having to start from scratch again.

Yes Yoshida is right in a way, will there ever be a proper PS5 build up from the ground ? Doubt it.

Technology is moving very fast nowadays even the Neo will be an outdated dinosaur by the time 2019 rolls out.

Give me some Playstation with HBM technology and enough juice power to enable free 4K (I'm dreaming I know) by 2020 and I'll be a happy man.

It's because people were expecting a huge loss-leader again. I think at one point some people actually expected a GTX 680 or Titan in the thing due to Epic's threats, and some big-core quad-core Intel or PPC CPU. I can't remember the exact wording though.

Also, something that a lot of people don't realize is that, despite it being mid-range, the PS4's GPU may be the most power-hungry GPU in a console to date and is only offset by the CPU.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just been speaking to my mates about NEO, none are interested they think PS4 does the job.
I imagine a lot will feel this way.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Buying it.

Won't lie, I'd have liked to see the CPU get a bigger boost. Potentially pairing a new technology GPU with an old POS CPU seems like a bit of a letdown.

Its supposed to be a cheap investment for them and easily compatible. We'll get a much bigger boost next time, mark my words about that

"Here is your new PS4 Slim, with enhanced features to take advantage of the blistering 4K adoption, and performance boosts on games and VR with the same PS4 software library you currently enjoy."

This has been my position all along. It just means that finally the slim will have performance features. People pray for this everytime....and now it's non-stop complaining.

This has been my position all along. It just means that finally the slim will have performance features. People pray for this everytime....and now it's non-stop complaining.

Yea I find this very funny, in past generations many people actually asked that if they are releasing a new version of the console, why should it not be a little more powerful.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Guys give me idea cuz I don't know but isn't the PS4K still weak anyway?
I mean even if PS4K was released at launch people would still say it's weak? Right?

Also I asked in the other thread but I'll ask again here, do you guys think backups would work with PS4K?

thelastword

Banned
    [*]The initial plan was to release the PS4K right after E3 but won't come out until fall 2016 (but no actual release date)
I'm thinking they delayed the release after E3 to gauge what type of specs the competition are going to go with. If NX and XB1.5 are below Neo's specs they can launch anytime they want before October, if NX and XB1.5 are close to Neo's specs they can one up them with the CPU upgrade they were considering for $500.00.

I think Neo specs was leaked deliberately to force MS and Nintendo to say something about their upcoming machines, that way Sony can play it's cards to have the upper hand and react accordingly. I imagine If XB1.5 is close to Neo, Sony will announce an advanced CPU with Polaris at $499.99 as an option.

Just been speaking to my mates about NEO, none are interested they think PS4 does the job.
I imagine a lot will feel this way.
Well, that's fine, your buddies can still play all games PS4K will play, only that we may play them at higher resolutions and framerates. So perhaps the games you play at 30fps, Neo owners will play at 60fps. That's ok because all PS4 owners will still play online together, Neo or OG, so nothing changes except the hardware benefits mostly in SP. When these friends are finally ready to upgrade to those benefits, the NEO will most likely be cheaper for them too.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Yea I find this very funny, in past generations many people actually asked that if they are releasing a new version of the console, why should it not be a little more powerful.

Ironic isn't it. The masked 'Ice Cream argument', when all the other FUD excuses fail.

Inuhanyou

so we got another 400+ console to look forward to ? wow that sounds amazing

It'll be 399.

By definition the next unit will be far more powerful than the PS4 or 4K...just cause of how technology is advancing. HBM will be viable at that time, far more ram will be viable, Zen will hopefully be out and mainstream, the single GPU's will be over 15+Tflops.

And then devs will no longer have to worry about Jaguar, lower end bandwidth or what have you holding things back in their games.

Philippo

Any realistic chance Sony will put a faster CPU than the leaked one, to better match the upgrades of the GPU, while keeping the 399$ price tag?
Or now that they sent the first devkits is too late?
Altough i think they did something similar with the 8GB before iirc

Inuhanyou

Any realistic chance Sony will put a faster CPU than the leaked one while keeping the 399$ price tag?
Or now that they sent the first devkits is too late?
Altough i think they did something similar with the 8GB before iirc

What faster CPU is there? The only one AMD has out right now is Puma, and that is only a marginal upgrade over Jaguar. You have to wait till Zen which is not ready yet.

Top Bottom