• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Should you install The Witcher 3's day one patch ( XO version )

Conduit

Banned
PS4 update :

We've now had the opportunity to test the 1.01 patch on PlayStation 4, and can report that the FMV stuttering issue introduced in the Xbox One day one patch is much less of an issue on the Sony platform - video playback is much more consistent. Engine visual settings appear to be a match between the two consoles but curiously, the PS4 version does appear to run with a capped 30fps, giving a more consistent update than its Xbox One counterpart. We can also confirm native 1080p resolution throughout. We'll have head-to-head performance tests online as soon as possible.

After a weekend of testing The Witcher 3 on Xbox One, it's fair to say installing its day one patch (version 1.01) is something of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, the 588MB file improves frame-rates slightly during play, while fixing minor bugs scattered across the game. In many ways it's a more polished experience with the patch - notably we have less geometry pop-in during cut-scenes, fewer instances of flickering shadows, and a great many more tweaks elsewhere.

But the downsides pack a punch too. It's apparent after switching between the game's default and patched states that these improvements come at a cost. Chief among these is the aggressive stuttering during pre-rendered cut-scenes. Essentially, encoded video files are used to portray the game's bigger plot points - such as the opening scene, re-caps after loading a save, and the dramatic end to the tutorial - while the game's engine is used for smaller beats in the story.

These videos weave in seamlessly amongst in-engine scenes, and do a great job of hiding loading screens. The catch: it's very easy to tell which type of scene is in play based on the frame-rate. Encoded video files stutter horribly after patch 1.01 is installed, with drops to as low as 22fps causing the playback to lurch in a manner that's impossible to ignore during any action. We've tested this several times with and without the update, and in every case an unpatched build of The Witcher 3 delivers a much smoother return, even if it's not perfectly locked at the intended 30fps.

Shadows also take a minor hit. Even accounting for variances in cloud positions (causing lighting to shift across plains), a perfect match in the time of day shows shadows are missing in spots on patch 1.01. This is likely related to optimising draw distances on Xbox One, as most patches of shade eventually fade in on approach - it's simply the case that the rendering range isn't as far-reaching as The Witcher 3's vanilla state. As a result, dithering is easier to catch on the patched release, at points where shadows make a transition to a fully filled-out state as you walk forward.

On balance, this downgrade only stands out when placing both versions side-by-side, especially given that the switch occurs at quite a distance. The only exception to this is around the Witcher's castle training ground - where foliage produces heavier shade across castle walls. Matching woodland shots also show a slight tail-off in the shadow density the further we look into the thickets, though quality up-close is the same. Besides these cases, it's clear CD Projekt makes an effort to improve Xbox One's performance during play, while not detracting too much from the visuals.

The big positive point for patch 1.01 is in performance, though it's not entirely ideal. What we get on Xbox One is an uncapped frame-rate that varies between 30-40fps, with v-sync engaged to avoid tearing. The unfortunate side-effect of not capping this at a straight 30fps is that frame-pacing wanders up and down the graph, causing the perception of stutter. Many of the frame-rate issues reported in The Witcher 3's early reviews are perhaps attributable to the game going over 30fps, rather than dipping beneath. It's something we'll check out once we are hands-on with the PS4 version - as that's the format used for most of the reviews highlighting the issue.

Xbox One's dynamic resolution scaling may also help to uphold this level of performance - in effect before and after the patch. In theory, this allows the framebuffer to switch between a 1600x900 resolution to a native 1920x1080 on the fly, seemingly based on GPU load at any given point. However, in practice this doesn't switch as much as we'd expected - The Witcher 3 is predominantly a 900p game, and the only scenes we've found to run at a full 1080p are the in-engine rendered title screen, and the video cut-scenes. Even reducing the GPU load by looking directly up to the sky shows the game is still rendering at a native 900p. We do notice some indoors scenes rendering at what seems to be a higher resolution than 900p, but even here, it is clearly not a full, native 1080p output.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-install-the-witcher-3-day-one-patch#comments

Well, framerate counter compared to NX Gamer's performance analysis is really spot on.

SerTapTap

Dang, after Infamous Second Son then First Light, I'm definitely a fan of locked 30 over 30-40s. Dunno why devs prefer to let it float around unlocked. Unless you're hitting a clean 60 a fair % of the time it doesn't seem worth it.

The not-quite1080p thing is kind of funny, I bet it gets less complaints than admitting the game is 900p though sadly. Marketing.

NXGamer already did his analysis and he was mostly correct regarding day 1 patch and Xbox One frame rate.

I wonder if the day 1 patch has any effect on the PS4.

1080pr. The spin is making me dizzy.

1319739110_squirrel_gets_dizzy_from_spinning.gif

bombshell

Many of the frame-rate issues reported in The Witcher 3's early reviews are perhaps attributable to the game going over 30fps, rather than dipping beneath. It's something we'll check out once we are hands-on with the PS4 version - as that's the format used for most of the reviews highlighting the issue.

Uhm, every single review has been of the PS4 version, not just most.

We need that 1.02 patch STAT! Feels like this patch was a bit rushed for that PR marketing. Quite sad only the cut scenes and menu are 1080p :( But overall performance with the patch is welcome.

oh well im not actually sad, im still gonna enjoy it. WOOO HOOO!!!!!

glaurung

"Good enough!", Microsoft uttered.
More like: "Box art 1080p label validated!"

This boggles my mind. Why the hell would they do something like this. It's like releasing a patch that allows the FMV clips to play at full HD instead of being squished into 900p.

Xbox One's dynamic resolution scaling may also help to uphold this level of performance - in effect before and after the patch. In theory, this allows the framebuffer to switch between a 1600x900 resolution to a native 1920x1080 on the fly, seemingly based on GPU load at any given point. However, in practice this doesn't switch as much as we'd expected - The Witcher 3 is predominantly a 900p game, and the only scenes we've found to run at a full 1080p are the in-engine rendered title screen, and the video cut-scenes. Even reducing the GPU load by looking directly up to the sky shows the game is still rendering at a native 900p.

lol

Sounds like they just need to add a frame rate cap. Dynamic res seems to be working for resolutions in between 900p and 1080p which is good.

shandy706

Everyone focusing on the stupid resolution thing they implemented versus the part that I would think is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT.

What we get on Xbox One is an uncapped frame-rate that varies between 30-40fps, with v-sync engaged to avoid tearing. The unfortunate side-effect of not capping this at a straight 30fps is that frame-pacing wanders up and down the graph, causing the perception of stutter. Many of the frame-rate issues reported in The Witcher 3's early reviews are perhaps attributable to the game going over 30fps, rather than dipping beneath.

So it struggles to keep pacing due to going over 30fps. That means, cap the darn thing. It's not struggling with drops all the time, lock it. You may still get rare drops, but perhaps you can fix the stuttering.

nib95

Banned
What's the point in that dynamic resolution then? Why not just lock it at 900p for consistencies sake? Menu's and video cut scenes? Really?

Everyone focusing on the stupid resolution thing they implemented versus the part that I would think is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT.

Perfectly coincides with what NXGamer showed and stated as well.

Xbudz

I bet if I didn't read this thread I wouldn't even care... Now I'll probably notice this stuff.

Yeah, I thought the framepacing issues might have been mistaken as framerate drops. Here's hoping they implement a 30fps cap. I might wait for a couple more patches before I start playing this.

So 1080p title screens and pre rendered videos makes a 1080p game now?

Also frame rate pacing and a smooth even play experience is much more important than resolution.

You didn't read the snippet where DF said the game pretty much sits at 900p did you?

I did, and I also read the part that said the resolution was higher than 900p but lower than 1080p in some cases. I'm glad to see this. Also, OP forgot this part in the final analysis.

Overall, the notion that any element of The Witcher 3's visual presentation being compromised in a patch is sure to be controversial, but having played the unpatched and patched versions side-by-side on Xbox One, the updated code is clearly preferable in most regards.

WarMacheen

What's the point in that dynamic resolution then? Why not just lock it at 900p for consistencies sake? Menu's and video cut scenes? Really?

There is a subset of gamers that won't touch a game without a 1080p menu.

thatsmyfetish.jpg

bombshell

So it struggles to keep pacing due to going over 30fps. That means, cap the darn thing. It's not struggling with drops all the time, lock it. You may still get rare drops, but perhaps you can fix the stuttering.

Except where they completely miss that there hasn't been any reviews of the Xbox One version, so that sentence makes no sense.

MS must really push for 1080 on the X1 to match the PS4 then, logic be damned.

Who cares what resolution it is? Just play the game and have fun with it. This game is going to be a huge success regardless of what resolution the PR says it runs at.

Please don't come in to tech threads with "fun" arguments.

Who cares what resolution it is? Just play the game and have fun with it. This game is going to be a huge success regardless of what resolution the PR says it runs at.

statham

could care less about resolution but give me a 30 FPS cap and SOON.
MS must really push for 1080 on the X1 to match the PS4 then, logic be damned.
If you can make the game look better why not? they also mention some indoor scenes run higher then 900p

Look at the bright side, the 1080pr is still an improvement from just 900p. If not due to the cleaner menus, then because it gets rid of the black crush some upscaled games suffer on the system.

Still stupid though, since it's not actually dynamic.

BigDug13

We care about false advertising. MS pushing a company to get a game running at 1080p so much to the point where they add "dynamic resolution" and only have it at 1080p when you're not playing the game just so MS can say 1080p. It's the false advertising that is laughable.

Honestly if they just said "900p" on XBO, nobody would give a shit because it's pretty much expected now on these types of game genres. The 1080pr spin is just silly and is worthy of mockery.

Guymelef

Remember...

Diablo III on Xbox One was originally set to launch with a resolution of 900p, but Blizzard was told this was "unacceptable" by Microsoft.

The Witcher 3 is predominantly a 900p game, and the only scenes we've found to run at a full 1080p are the in-engine rendered title screen, and the video cut-scenes.
lol, what the hell?

This here is a tech-related thread.

Played this on my C64 as a small kid.
Loved it!

BigDug13

the game on X1 still suffer from framepacing issues with or without the patch, right?

The way I understand it is that the frame pacing issues are still there because it's not locked to 30. But with the patch, the overall framerate is higher so the framerate dips below 30 aren't as bad.

Top Bottom