• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Should you install The Witcher 3's day one patch ( XO version )

Orayn

I guess some people are never going to let that Uncharted 4 video go. And what about Bloodborne? He was right about POM. What was he wrong about? Also, he pointed out a few things DF missed: missing volumetric lighting in FC4 on PS4 after a patch and uncapped frame rate in AC Unity on PS4 before day one patch.

He was right about POM being included but gave "examples" that weren't actually POM, in addition to talking about tessellation which produces similar results but is a different technique.

The rest of what you mentioned are mostly just happenstance based on when he did his analysis versus when DF did.

Conduit

Banned
Had a good giggle at this thread. Warning: This product may contain traces of peanuts and 1080p.

Very good! 10/10

GIF-Amused-funny-laugh-laughing-LOL-GIF.gif

is this why ps4 versions were sent out even though they had marketing deal with xbox?

dynamic resolution 1080p*

*in title screen

i don't even know what to say.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hadn't they basically said the game would be 1080p on PS4 and 900p on XBO?

In the past but the recent video they released said the game had dynamic scaling to 1080p, which usually means that the res would increase in less taxing gameplay sequences but that doesn't happen here.

The Witcher 3 is predominantly a 900p game, and the only scenes we've found to run at a full 1080p are the in-engine rendered title screen, and the video cut-scenes. Even reducing the GPU load by looking directly up to the sky shows the game is still rendering at a native 900p.

Ouch. What was the point is spending time developing a dynamic resolution feature like this when it barley gets used?

ironcreed

Banned
Ouch. What was the point is spending time developing a dynamic resolution feature like this when it barley gets used?

Because it sounds good, I would guess. But if I were playing the Xbox One version I would be more than fine with the title screen and cut scenes also being in 900p, lol. As that is what the game itself is still running at.

Jomjom

Banned
Hmmm disappointed that it's really not dynamic resolution. 1080p title screen and cutscenes? I think this may be the worst example of 1080pr yet.

d9b

Banned
Dang, after Infamous Second Son then First Light, I'm definitely a fan of locked 30 over 30-40s. Dunno why devs prefer to let it float around unlocked. Unless you're hitting a clean 60 a fair % of the time it doesn't seem worth it.

The not-quite1080p thing is kind of funny, I bet it gets less complaints than admitting the game is 900p though sadly. Marketing.

Don't want to go off topic, but there was nothing wrong with Second Son's unlocked frame rate at 1080p. Also there was an option to lock it at 30fps, so I don't get your point at all.

And back on topic, hope they'll fix this ASAP for Xbox One version of TW3.

c0de

This here is a tech-related thread.

Yeah, lol comments contribute way better to a thread about tech.

Sad no one cares about the conclusion but who is surprised? :) it's good that cdpr changed things in favor of frame rate but I hope that they will also fix the stuttering and any technical issues across all versions.

Wereroku

So were DF the only ones to get an Xbox review copy because I thought only PS4 review copies were sent out?

No the actual retail copies being sent out are XBO going by Gamespot and Giantbomb getting retail copies of those to stream and talk about. But for the earlier reviews they were sending out debug ps4 copies with some patching done. It seems to be a really weird situation. Seems like they were still working on the XBO version.

In the past df bought the game versions they didn't get a copy of for comparisons. Last gen ps3 versions, this gen xbone.

It seems weird. A lot of the groups like Gamespot have been streaming the XBO version. It seems like the PS4 version was being sent out was only for the early reviews with debug ps4s.

MUnited83

For you.
Who cares what resolution it is? Just play the game and have fun with it. This game is going to be a huge success regardless of what resolution the PR says it runs at.

This is a darn thread about the tech, framerate and graphics. Stop whining and go elsewhere.

I hope CDPR lock the fps at 30 and fix the frame pacing / stutter. The stutter bothers me a lot more than the game being 900p. I'm willing to wait a couple weeks for them to fix this issue.

EGM1966

Hadn't they basically said the game would be 1080p on PS4 and 900p on XBO?
They had, but then they changed the message late in the day to "it's dynamic". To be fair it's easy to believe MS pushed for the dynamic and the chance to claim "1080p variable" more than the actual devs themselves would have chosen on their own.

It's certainly a new angle on 1080pr if DF analysis is correct (and there seems no reason to doubt it) that's for sure.

Is is that some of you enjoy being purposefully obtuse or what?

We do notice some indoors scenes rendering at what seems to be a higher resolution than 900p, but even here, it is clearly not a full, native 1080p output.

GASP, DYNAMIC RESOLUTION!

The 1080p bit is funny but yeah, the bigger issue is framepacing. I hope they get that part under control. Does PS4 suffer from framepacing issues as well?

Wereroku

So what your saying is Dynamic 1080p isn't misleading even if you can only find anything higher than 900p in 4 places of an at least 80hr game? Having less than 1% of the game ever being over 900p and calling it dynamic 1080p is just false advertising to me. Also it's not even 1080p in those rare occasions the only times it is 1080p is the title screen and some prerendered cutscenes.

Mindman

Don't want to go off topic, but there was nothing wrong with Second Son's unlocked frame rate at 1080p. Also there was an option to lock it at 30fps, so I don't get your point at all.

And back on topic, hope they'll fix this ASAP for Xbox One version of TW3.

You kind of contradicted yourself here. Infamous SS has the same judder as Witcher 3 when the framerate is left unlocked.... the option to lock it came after the community pleaded for it. Witcher 3 either needs the same option, or just a hard lock on 30 fps.

c0de

Well, it doesn't even look or seem like dynamic at all but more like scene to scene. Anyone believing the xbone can't render a scene with only sky at 1080p probably thinking it can't because of this part in the article but I think the approach from cdpr is just totally different to what AW did.

Wereroku

Well, it doesn't even look or seem like dynamic at all but more like scene to scene. Anyone believing the xbone can't render a scene with only sky at 1080p probably thinking it can't because of this part in the article but I think the approach from cdpr is just totally different to what AW did.

Seems like they optimized the game for 900p and threw the 1080 title and cutscenes in.

Mindman

Originally Posted by Blimblim

Well the comparison thread has been locked as I was posting this, hopefully this will be ok in here, otherwise please feel free to remove this post.
Anyway, I've just finished the first prototype of my frame rate analysis system, it's extremely rough right now, but I think it's not too bad in terms of accuracy.
So I use the two clips from the comparison video I did yesterday, and it yielded some pretty interesting results:
This is PS4:

This is X1:

Quick explanation for the last 3 info. Max dupes is the maximum of times a frame was duplicated in the video, the two pace info show how many times (and why) the game deviated from a perfect 29.97 fps. Short pace means a frame was shown immediately after the one before (at 29.97 each frame is supposed to be duplicated once), long pace means that a frame has been duplicated at least twice. Obviously you want these to be as close to 0 zero as possible for the game to look smooth.
So yeah, the X1 version is unlocked, and (at least for me) it leads to very very ugly frame pacing problems, and in the end it looks way less smooth than on PS4.

So what your saying is Dynamic 1080p isn't misleading even if you can only find anything higher than 900p in 4 places of an at least 80hr game? Having less than 1% of the game ever being over 900p and calling it dynamic 1080p is just false advertising to me. Also it's not even 1080p in those rare occasions the only times it is 1080p is the title screen and some prerendered cutscenes.

Did you misread my post? I didn't mention anything about 1080p. I'm was referring to someone talking about dynamic resolution not being used in the game, when if fact, right in the OP it is clearly stated that dynamic resolution is indeed being used in the game.

cakely

I'm with you, it feels like they're barely giving lip service to "dynamic resolution" if the vast majority (99%?) of the game is presented in 900p.

We're certainly not being "purposefully obtuse".

Top Bottom