• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Should you install The Witcher 3's day one patch ( XO version )

FranXico

I am amazed at how tame the comments are on the performance article.

The game seems to have positives and negatives on both consoles, so it sounds like it's mostly a wash.

Pretty much. People expected more from CDPR, especially on PC.

According to the article, the PS4 version has higher resolution and better performance than the Xbox One version. If you're basing your purchase decision on that, it appears that the PS4 version is the clear choice.

They do explicitly say that it isn't as clear as one would expect. The PS4 version performance also is far from ideal.

RowdyReverb

According to the article, the PS4 version has higher resolution and better performance than the Xbox One version. If you're basing your purchase decision on that, it appears that the PS4 version is the clear choice.
The only drawback they mentioned about the PS4 version is that in instances where the framerate drops below 30, it gets locked to 20 fps until you leave that area/situation. It sounds like both console ports could use another patch.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
The only drawback they mentioned about the PS4 version is that in instances where the framerate drops below 30, it gets locked to 20 fps until you leave that area/situation. It sounds like both console ports could use another patch.

That's not at all what DF says or happens, so spreading BS.

Citadel

Cutscenes (pre-rendered and in-game) were noticeably choppier after installing the patch, but I didn't want to spend my time playing TW 3 offline. The actual gameplay is smooth and fun, that's what counts. Would prefer if the XB1 version actually had a locked framerate though - hopefully that's one of the many things being patched.

Noobcraft

what does it say on the xbox game package? FULL1080p or just 1080p?
I don't think it says either. I can't confirm since my game isn't coming until tomorrow, but my other Xbox One games don't mention resolution on the back. Nor do my Wii U games.

Edit: it doesn't mention it at all.

thelastword

Banned
Yea me too, if they cap the XB1 than it would run almost 30 locked and much better than the PS4 version?
No, watching the video, the xbone version usually hovers in the 31-33fps region, that's cutting it pretty close to 30fps for an uncapped game. I've also seen many instances of the un-capped game at 29fps in that video as well or just buck on 30fps in many instances. If the Xbone version had the same implementation of vysnc like the PS4 has it would fall lower than where the PS4 falls in gameplay.

The truth is, vysnc does have a performance penalty, if it didn't there would never be something like adaptive vysnc or devs would not let their games tear to keep framerates high. In essence, if the PS4 version was un-capped just like the xbone version it would have a higher framerate on average.

Noobcraft

So my impressions of the Xbox version are pretty mixed. The opening cinematic (the one on YouTube) ran ridiculously poorly and stuttered throughout, but the gameplay is actually pretty much fine. The stuttering isn't as bad as I thought it would be but a 30 fps cap is welcome if it improves the feel of the game. To me the gameplay feels no jankier than something like Bloodborne, but that doesn't mean it's great. They should also do something about the trees blowing in the wind because currently they look pretty bad.

Glomby

I just finished the fight against the
gryphon
in the starting area and I must say, the frame pacing issues were never so bad for me.

I said it before. I'm very sensitive to this so it might not be the same for everyone but this fight was not enjoyable for me at all. It felt really bad, like I wasn't really in control anymore. Inputs feel very slippery when the frame pacing jumps all around. I actually stopped playing after this fight because I couldn't stand it anymore. I'm actually considering not playing until they fix this.

I love this game so far and I don't wanna ruin it for myself. But this was kinda game breaking today. Sadly you can feel that the frame rates are good and above 30, but I have never experienced so much frame pacing issues before. I actually can't remember a single game where this was so bad.

Top Bottom