• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Should you install The Witcher 3's day one patch ( XO version )

Orayn

A mandatory patch making the framerate unlocked is weird. For XB1 owners' sakes, I hope they iron out the framepacing issues and add the option to cap it at 30.

Who cares what resolution it is? Just play the game and have fun with it. This game is going to be a huge success regardless of what resolution the PR says it runs at.

You apparently don't, so why are you posting in a thread about it?

ohlawd

The way I understand it is that the frame pacing issues are still there because it's not locked to 30. But with the patch, the overall framerate is higher so the framerate dips below 30 aren't as bad.

yeah I read the article three times lol still didn't get a solid on the framerate. thanks for answering

I'll patch it then

SerTapTap

What's the point in that dynamic resolution then? Why not just lock it at 900p for consistencies sake? Menu's and video cut scenes? Really?

Perfectly coincides with what NXGamer showed and stated as well.

If they're prerendered videos they might as well show 'em at 1080p

Remember...

They're crazy if they're approaching devs about that, and it seems like they are. The hardware is weaker, people know it, they're not going to win that fight. Let devs dev, and admit when a game cat hit 1080p at the targeted graphics/performance balance. This situation is way stupider than just saying "yep it's 900p"

The Witcher 3 is predominantly a 900p game, and the only scenes we've found to run at a full 1080p are the in-engine rendered title screen, and the video cut-scenes.

TyP5EK9.gif

RowdyReverb

So, it sounds like maybe I should wait for the second patch if I want to avoid stuttering and pacing issues. I still have a ways to go in Witcher 2 anyway.

cakely

Why wouldn't they just call it "900p" and be done with it? /boggle

Consumers seem to be fine with other console games at that resolution.

Prine

Banned
Yep, resolution being 900/1080 is trivial, I just want a smooth experience. Hope CDPR sort this out, forget variable FPS, seems like it creates more issues then it solves.

Orayn

So once again NXGamer's analysis seems in line with DF's. Can't wait for the full face off from both of them.

Looking forward to NXGamer missing obvious issues and presenting plenty of questionable speculation about which graphics tech is being used, just like Bloodborne.

Stacey

Banned
Looking forward to NXGamer missing obvious issues and presenting plenty of questionable speculation about which graphics tech is being used, just like Bloodborne.

And also pointing out glaring issues that digital foundry completely forget to mention.

We've been working to give gamers an even better experience on Xbox One and, on day 1, we'll bring you dynamic scaling from 900p to 1080p. We're not much more than a week before launch, but we're still fighting for every line of code - we want gamers to get the best possible experience we can deliver."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-one-uses-dynamic-scaling-to-boost-resolution

You have to feel sorry for the guys and girls at CDP. I'm sure MS was pressing them really hard on this point.

Orayn

And also pointing out glaring issues that digital foundry completely forget to mention.

Like what? The only thing I can think of is the previously-unlocked framerate in Assassin's Creed Unity and that's because DF didn't get a chance to do a full round of tests with that pre-patched version.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that someone else is trying to do what DF does, I just roll my eyes at "OMG BASED NXGAMER PRESENTING THE REAL FACTS UNLIKE HORRIBLE BIASED DF" when he's been shown to have made mistakes and incorrect speculation.

Javin98

Banned
It's going to be amazing. No system will come out of it unscathed.
Yep, it will be a bloodbath for sure, man.

I guess some people are never going to let that Uncharted 4 video go. And what about Bloodborne? He was right about POM. What was he wrong about? Also, he pointed out a few things DF missed: missing volumetric lighting in FC4 on PS4 after a patch and uncapped frame rate in AC Unity on PS4 before day one patch.

SerTapTap

Yep, resolution being 900/1080 is trivial, I just want a smooth experience. Hope CDPR sort this out, forget variable FPS, seems like it creates more issues then it solves.

Does it actually solve anything if you don't actually get to 60? Unless it's really, really consistent I can't imagine it looks smoother than 30 FPS, even a consistent 40 has some frames onscreen longer than others.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Strange that the prerendered scenes stutter and the framerate is uncapped. Both of those are very unexpected.

Strange that the prerendered scenes stutter and the framerate is uncapped. Both of those are very unexpected.

I wonder if it's some type of issue that arrived alongside the dynamic res change. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed quickly with an fps cap. The gameplay should be very smooth in that case since it seems to stay above 30.

RowdyReverb

It's interesting how dynamic resolution from 900p to 1080p that doesn't often reach 1080p is almost akin to an unlocked 60fps that generally stays in the 40's. Although screen tearing is more irritating than pixel crawl IMO.
I think we're going to see more and more "dynamic 1080p" titles in the future. It's not just PR though; it sounds like a smart way to put wasted time between frames to use in games locked to 30fps.
I'm coining "unlocked resolution"

Knuf

The only scenes we've found to run at a full 1080p are the in-engine rendered title screen, and the video cut-scenes.

black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif.gif

DAT dynamic resolution: so much so that it almost feels like static.

Who cares what resolution it is? Just play the game and have fun with it. This game is going to be a huge success regardless of what resolution the PR says it runs at.

1. Go into a tech thread
2. Post a random "who cares about tech, game is fun!" comment
3. ???
4. Profit

Tripolygon

Banned
Like what? The only thing I can think of is the previously-unlocked framerate in Assassin's Creed Unity and that's because DF didn't get a chance to do a full round of tests with that pre-patched version.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that someone else is trying to do what DF does, I just roll my eyes at "OMG BASED NXGAMER PRESENTING THE REAL FACTS UNLIKE HORRIBLE BIASED DF" when he's been shown to have made mistakes and incorrect speculation.
But it is a fact that he is not biased or at least his preferences are not shown to influence his analysis, does he make mistakes? Yes, but so do Digital Foundry, but there have been things that draw into question whether DF is biased like when a company has based their entire reputation on scrutinizing the tiniest differences between platforms even if it were 2 frames (the differences were so tiny during last gen) write an article saying 1080p doesn't matter and many other articles that were written during the start of this gen that could come off pro Microsoft. Then yes a second opinion is important hence OMG BASED NXGAMER.

You're sure? What have you heard?
1) past history

Blizzard's John Hight said:
We did find it challenging early on to get [Diablo III] to 1080p. That’s why we made the decision to drop to 900. That’s what we demoed and were showing around E3 time. And Microsoft was just like, ‘This is unacceptable. You need to figure out a way to get a better resolution.’
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...o-3-xbox-one-1080p-patch-performance-analysis

2) MS has a marketing deal with this game

Artex

Banned
The only scenes we've found to run at a full 1080p are the in-engine rendered title screen, and the video cut-scenes.

So the dynamic resolution is just marketing bullshit. 1080p title screen....what in the fuck.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think this is a case where the term "1080pr" makes way more sense. It's annoyed me that games running at x1080 have been called that since it is a higher resolution and it helps limit scaling artifacts.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Well, Microsoft an CDPR care enough to lie about it and imply that gameplay would go up to 1080P.

ironcreed

Banned
The dynamic resolution bit is embarrassing. Why even bother when you know sites like this will discover it? Should have just let it ride, while improving everything else that was in need. The game looks fine at 900p anyway and I am sure those playing the Xbox One version will be pleased.

CD Projekt RED, oh how you have fallen.

I think you're being unfair to CDPR. Besides the frame pacing issue it seems like they've optimized the game quite a bit and the writer of the article in this thread agrees that the recent patch is an improvement overall.

The dynamic resolution bit is embarrassing. Why even bother when you know sites like this will discover it? Should have just let it ride, while improving everything else that was in need. The game looks fine at 900p anyway and I am sure those playing the Xbox One version will be pleased.

My guess is that CDPR was trying to get every last little bit of performance out of the console. The FPS actually improved quite a lot with the last patch as well.

Top Bottom