• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Should you install The Witcher 3's day one patch ( XO version )

kingwingin

This looked much smoother to me. Do you notice any stuttering when riding your horse? That was when I noticed it the most on the XB1 videos.
I just fired the game up and haven't gotten anywhere except that balcony here's another video where I gradually slow the camera down creating judder

No judder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0fCt7nRDUo

With judder
http://youtu.be/jO-O8iKX04s

Anyone who makes a video claiming frame pacing should make sure they have a steady thumb.

I always preorder a game I want to play, I am not claiming the game is universally unplayable. But it is unplayable for me with it's current issues, so I do have to wait for a patch. I am not demanding an instant fix, I simply said CDPR is silent on the games current issues and they are. I will wait patiently until it's patched, I was just hoping to be able to play through it as I just finished a second play through of The Witcher 2 on PC in anticipation of The Witcher 3.

Some people just aren't that susceptible to uneven frame pacing or constantly fluctuating frame rates (in the case of Xbox One's unlocked frame rate of a constantly fluctuating 30fps - 40fps). Unfortunately, I am highly susceptible to uneven frame pacing and a frame rate that is constantly changing.

I understand, and I apologize for treating the issue as trivial when it genuinely affects you. That was wrong of me, I got emotional.

But my advice to you, and it's one I started taking to heart last year, is stop pre-ordering games. We all like games, and we all want to play games that we're waiting for the very minute we can.

It sucks when publishers rush devs and don't give them enough time to complete the products. It sucks for the devs, it sucks for us, and it's probably not going to change anytime soon because it's part of how the industry works right now. The ability to patch games is very much a dual-edged sword, and publishers know they can start taking our money as soon as possible because of our thirst for their games, so that gives them less incentive to delay games until they're done.

The only thing we can do about it is try to exercise patience and not buy a game until issues are resolved. I know it's tough, but we have to make a stand somehow.

I understand, and I apologize for treating the issue as trivial when it genuinely affects you. That was wrong of me, I got emotional.

But my advice to you, and it's one I started taking to heart last year, is stop pre-ordering games. We all like games, and we all want to play games that we're waiting for the very minute we can.

It sucks when publishers rush devs and don't give them enough time to complete the products. It sucks for the devs, it sucks for us, and it's probably not going to change anytime soon because it's part of how the industry works right now. The ability to patch games is very much a dual-edged sword, and publishers know they can start taking our money as soon as possible because of our thirst for their games, so that gives them less incentive to delay games until they're done.

.... I can't stop preordering games I genuinely want to play :). I don't think part of the problem was the game was rushed, but I think in the case of the Xbox One version the frame pacing issue is exacerbated by not having the game capped at 30fps instead of being unlocked. It would at least make that version more in-line with the PS4 version, as the PS4 version doesn't seem to be as bad with regard to frame pacing (based on the videos I have seen).

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I truly am sorry for my rant everyone, it just seems like its becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy to pre-order or buy a game on Day One, and then claim that its unplayable and demand answers from the developer because there are issues with it.

This isn't a new phenomenon, it's a pattern. And it's going to continue down this path until we stop giving the publishers our money for games that end up being unfinished upon release. The only way publishers are going to stop doing this and using the patching system as a money-grabbing crutch is when it starts affecting their bottom line.

why are you correcting the consumer when the problem is publishers and devs pushing unfinished work? Let's maybe point the blame at the reviewers and everyone else who spiked the Witcher 3 football before it could even run properly.

seriously who the hell reviewed this game and gave it praise? Literally, how? why the hell are preoders so high in the first place? What came first the chicken or the egg?

1080p menus tho

why are you correcting the consumer when the problem is publishers and devs pushing unfinished work? Let's maybe point the blame at the reviewers and everyone else who spiked the Witcher 3 football before it could even run properly.

seriously who the hell reviewed this game and gave it praise? Literally, how? why the hell are preoders so high in the first place? What came first the chicken or the egg?

1080p menus tho

The reviewers who gave it high praise are at fault too. It's a vicious cycle.

But consumers also share some of the blame for buying something without even seeing it or evaluating it first. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it, or reading consumer reports.

devonodev

The reviewers who gave it high praise are at fault too. It's a vicious cycle.

But consumers also share some of the blame for buying something without even seeing it or evaluating it first. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it, or reading consumer reports.
If a car cost $60 though I might.

Stacey

Banned
Digital Foundry said:
Overall, the fact Xbox One tends to holds a higher frame-rate is misleading in terms of the quality of the end experience; a capped 30fps is by far the preferred option in this case and we still hope to see it implemented in a future update. The PS4 release has the right tactic, but it lets itself down by being unable to stream in world geometry or render effects at a perfect 30fps to take advantage of this. The perceived effect is a judder to motion on both consoles, for cut-scenes and gameplay, though PS4 is capable of smoother passages of play at times. When it comes to performance, and factoring in the game's superior 1920x1080 output, Sony's hardware is a preference - but it's not the clear choice we had expected.

Seems they prefer PS4s performance.

Yeah. that's just put me off buying this for PS4. I'm not massively interested, but would like to play it.

I've preordered Arkham Knight (part of the problem, I know, but I love the RS Arkham games) and I can see it going down the same road as the Witcher on consoles and PC performance-wise. I think next month we're going to see a repeat:

- Unoptimised on consoles
- PC version with added features such as 'higher framerate!', 'more res!', 'better shadows (maybe)!'.
- Buggy open world. Batcar gets stuck on buildings, Batcar clips corners and falls into Burnout world, Visiting the Attic may corrupt guardians in 'Out on a Limb' or cause instant death when visiting The Chapel'.

c0de

So XB1 has framerate advantage, but because of the judder that advantage is worthless.

Yes, I am surprised, too. But taken from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1048758 it seems that Witcher 3 PC is sensible to CPU power with higher resolutions (this doesn't necessarily translate to consoles, though).
CDPR really should cap the framerate (perhaps resulting in a locked framerate) on Xbone with a new patch. I am especially surprised by low fps during cut-scenes.

Stare-Bear

Banned
Does the 1.02 patch for ps4 only contain DLC enabling stuff or are there any performance improvements? Because the digital foundry test is only using 1.01.

Been playing a few hours, haven't noticed the fps drops they are talking about, although some of the early cutscenes did struggle a bit.

CDPR really should cap the framerate (perhaps resulting in a locked framerate) on Xbone with a new patch. I am especially surprised by low fps during cut-scenes.

Cut scenes rendered at 24.97/29.97 fps and somehow Vsync kicking in dropping it to 20fps? I don't know, but it's annoying and odd (PS4 version).

Chobel

Yes, I am surprised, too. But taken from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1048758 it seems that Witcher 3 PC is sensible to CPU power with higher resolutions (this doesn't necessarily translate to consoles, though).

I'm not sure what you mean by the bold text? Because to my knowledge, CPU doesn't affect resolution.

c0de

So PS4 wins by 1 bread:

myhis7ye.png

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I just fired the game up and haven't gotten anywhere except that balcony here's another video where I gradually slow the camera down creating judder

No judder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0fCt7nRDUo

With judder
http://youtu.be/jO-O8iKX04s

Anyone who makes a video claiming frame pacing should make sure they have a steady thumb.

It appears both of your videos have a judder, but one is certainly more apparent (or worse) then the other. Could be part of how YouTube deals with it a 60fps video might help show it better or a natively captured video not garbled by YouTube.

Thanks though as it does show some difference in it's current form.

Chobel

Look at the video in the thread - CPU usage goes down as he changes the resolution down.

So I watched the video, and actually CPU usage goes up as he changes the resolution down, which kinda expected because of the higher framerate.

Condom

Both vids indeed have judder. If you are sensitive to it like me, it's nearly unplayable. Seriously nags me that much and I'm on PC.

c0de

Better texture filtering on ps4 or just the plus side of a higher resolution?

Yes, there are even better images to compare and I am not sure still. Could be better AF AND better resolution... But I guess we can be glad that at least both feature some kind of filtering.

c0de

So I watched the video, and actually CPU usage goes up as he changes the resolution down, which kinda expected because of the higher framerate.

I only "clicked" on several time steps in the video and it showed more cpu usage in higher resolution so perhaps my data points I randomly chose were just bad :(

cHaOs667

The only issues I had with the D1 patch yesterday was, beside the video stuttering, occasionally audio distortions and a nasty graphics bug.

21971312ls.jpg

A restart of the game fixed the graphics bug at least... but the audio distortions lasted :(

You really don't see it? It's constantly stopping and resuming as he is just rotating the cam. That is definitely annoying.
Oh lol the camera stopping repeatedly is the judder? I was looking within the scene itself. I thought the person panning the camera was just rotating it like that. Christ that is bad if that's the judder people are talking about.

Gurish

The only issues I had with the D1 patch yesterday was, beside the video stuttering, occasionally audio distortions and a nasty graphics bug.

21971312ls.jpg

A restart of the game fixed the graphics bug at least... but the audio distortions lasted :(

Lol, almost as good as UNITY's zombie :D

So the XB1 version looks like it rarely drops below 30fps during gameplay, so why didn't the just cap it like the PS4 version? Am I missing an obvious reason.

Anyway, both versions look pretty good to me

Yeah. that's just put me off buying this for PS4. I'm not massively interested, but would like to play it.

I've preordered Arkham Knight (part of the problem, I know, but I love the RS Arkham games) and I can see it going down the same road as the Witcher on consoles and PC performance-wise. I think next month we're going to see a repeat:

- Unoptimised on consoles
- PC version with added features such as 'higher framerate!', 'more res!', 'better shadows (maybe)!'.

- Buggy open world. Batcar gets stuck on buildings, Batcar clips corners and falls into Burnout world, Visiting the Attic may corrupt guardians in 'Out on a Limb' or cause instant death when visiting The Chapel'.

You are in for a long miserable generation....

Gurish

So the XB1 version looks like it rarely drops below 30fps during gameplay, so why didn't the just cap it like the PS4 version? Am I missing an obvious reason.

Anyway, both versions look pretty good to me
Yea me too, if they cap the XB1 than it would run almost 30 locked and much better than the PS4 version?

Yea me too, if they cap the XB1 than it would run almost 30 locked and much better than the PS4 version?

That's what I was thinking but I guess there is a reason why they didn't - also the PS4 run's at a higher res so I guess it would end up a res vs framerate choice as to which version you buy

c0de

Well, "much". The PS4 has problems to keep the framerate at 30 but it doesn't go very deep down to 20 so the difference won't be that much but apparently better, yes.
As to differences between the two versions, the most obvious seems to be resolution (and a bit better filtering) which is by now resposible to the difference in fps.

You are in for a long miserable generation....

I'll be fine, thank you. Even with AAA fuck ups I have more games to play and enjoy than I can ever get through in a lifetime. poor framerates and resolutions don't have a massive impact on my love for gaming, but it's annoying when something as ambitious and beautiful as the witcher 3 manages to stumble at the fps hurdle. I have no doubt it will be fixed in time, but it should have been ready for launch.

FranXico

Seems they prefer PS4s performance.

They do prefer that the PS4 version by virtue of it being capped to 30 fps, but even then there are performance inconsistencies.

I think CDPR might have done better to postpone their release a tad longer, but it is what it is. The way they handled PR, combined with the performance issues impacting all versions have left a lot of people a tad disappointed in them.

Kinyou

Have CDPR announced a second patch yet? That the first one causes the pre-rendered cutscenes to stutter is kind of unacceptable to me.

I am amazed at how tame the comments are on the performance article.

The game seems to have positives and negatives on both consoles, so it sounds like it's mostly a wash.

Top Bottom