• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Should you install The Witcher 3's day one patch ( XO version )

My XBOX ONE version has not shipped yet, I assume by the time I get it there will be a fix available..my friend has the PC version and he said there are so many issues with the game he's never seen anything like it so I guess its affecting all versions of this game

neurophd

My XBOX ONE version has not shipped yet, I assume by the time I get it there will be a fix available..my friend has the PC version and he said there are so many issues with the game he's never seen anything like it so I guess its affecting all versions of this game
How did all these issues get past reviewers?

Piggus

I had a couple crashes, but I haven't had any performance issues in the PC version. The game is very scalable and well-optimized on PC.

I had a couple crashes, but I haven't had any performance issues in the PC version. The game is very scalable and well-optimized on PC.

My X1 version is coming on Thursday, I ordered the comic book bundle from amazon and since its taking longer to arrive my free shipping got upgraded to next day shipping..this patch 1.01 is the problem or do they need to release another patch to overwrite that one?

Three

There doesn't appear to be many, if any, drops below 30fps on the XO version with the latest patch, if DF's pre-comparison video is anything to go by. I seriously doubt they'd have to drop down past 900p at all.

For 900p/30fps sure but the 1080p cutscenes do drop below 30 after the patch.
These videos weave in seamlessly amongst in-engine scenes, and do a great job of hiding loading screens. The catch: it's very easy to tell which type of scene is in play based on the frame-rate. Encoded video files stutter horribly after patch 1.01 is installed, with drops to as low as 22fps causing the playback to lurch in a manner that's impossible to ignore during any action.

Three

How did all these issues get past reviewers?

I can't even launch my PC version. :(

Keep getting "Witcher 3 has stopped working" error when I try to launch it. I don't have time to troubleshoot it right now but I've really had a bad experience with GOG.

That is most likely a bug and should be patched ASAP as well (considering the PS4 isn't as bad with it's pre-rendered cut-scenes). Alien Isolation suffered from the same thing with it's pre-rendered cut-scenes on Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

They also noted that could be related to data loading in the background during those cutscenes, which is why I want to wait for their next patch to make any judgements.

Three

As it happens on encoded video files this seems more and more like a patch that hasn't been tested thoroughly.

They also noted that could be related to data loading in the background during those cutscenes, which is why I want to wait for their next patch to make any judgements.

probable and fair enough, just wanted to point out that the latest patch does drop below 30 for whatever reason.

Snorlocs

I would say 90% is the ideal percentage. If your game is not meeting the optimum resolution + framerate the majority of the time, then it makes very little sense to implement a DR fixture in your engine. The purpose of DR is to curtail drops under the largest and most intense scenes in your game (in essence, when the shit hits the fan), you want to maintain your framerate even in these scenes.

The way Witcher 3 does it is on the flipside, which makes no sense for DR. It runs 900p 99.5% of the time, then what's the point of DR in that game at all. If anything, it should be doing dynamic resolution from 900p to 720P as I'm sure there will be drops below 30fps on the xbone version at 900p.

If it could hold "optimal resolution" 90% of the time then there would be no point to dynamic resolution. More optimizing could/would take care of the other 10%, wouldn't it? As to your last paragraph wouldn't that apply to the ps4 too as it drops below 30fps at 1080?

It appears as though the PS4 version also suffers from some of the same atrocious frame pacing issues as the Xbox One version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRWucJBiq00&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEloiaMtsQI&feature=youtu.be

CD Projekt Red better fix this ASAP, with the Xbox One version suffering from frame pacing issues and unlocked frame rate. It makes the game unplayable and the silence from CDPR on the issue is deafening.

Okay, first off, the frame pacing issues do not make the game unplayable. It may be slightly unpleasant to some, but it still plays fine, and thousands upon thousands of people are playing it this very minute without complaining about it.

Second, the game just came out today. How about you give CD Projekt Red some time to analyze the issues?

Geez, entitled much?

Okay, first off, the frame pacing issues do not make the game unplayable. It still plays fine, and thousands upon thousands of people are playing it this very minute without complaining about it.

Second, the game just came out today. How about you give them some time to analyze the issues?

Geez, entitled much?

Not entitled, just want to know what they plan on doing and an ETA on when it will be fixed. And, yes, to me the game is unplayable because I cannot enjoy it because of constant stuttering. That causes me to not play the game at all. The issues were brought up yesterday, not today. When you pay $60 for a game you expect some kind response for a fix to the issues.

And if you look at the CDPR forums, there are a number of people that cannot enjoy the game because of it crashing or completely failing to load (on console and PC).

Not entitled, just want to know what they plan on doing and an ETA on when it will be fixed. And, yes, to me the game is unplayable because I cannot enjoy it because of constant stuttering. That causes me to not play the game at all. The issues were brought up yesterday, not today. When you pay $60 for a game you expect some kind response for a fix to the issues.

And if you look at the CDPR forums, there are a number of people that cannot enjoy the game because of it crashing or completely failing to load (on console and PC).

And if you look at Twitch.TV, you'll see there's over 40,000 streams of the game going on right now.

I understand you're frustrated that the game doesn't perform to your expectation on Day One. But we hardly have a Colonial Marines, Driveclub, or MCC situation here, so give the devs a break and drop the hyperbole.

Dargor

DF said one of the areas where its 1080p on XO is the title screen.

Simple joke for simple people.

Best joke ever, and its simplicity throws people off at first. But then, when they finally get it:

wjANVCD.jpg

And if you look at Twitch.TV, you'll see there's over 40,000 streams of the game going on right now.

I understand you're frustrated that the game doesn't perform to your expectation on Day One. But we hardly have a Colonial Marines, Driveclub, or MCC situation here, so give the devs a break and drop the hyperbole.

Heh, what? I only stated an issue everyone is experiencing. Whether some people can look past the constant frame pacing issues, well then good for them. I am glad they are enjoying the game. It is just too jarring for me and stopped playing after a few minutes. The only thing I can do is wait for a patch to fix it (I waited over two weeks for Skyrim to be patched).

FATALITY

Banned
It appears as though the PS4 version also suffers from some of the same atrocious frame pacing issues as the Xbox One version:

CD Projekt Red better fix this ASAP, with the Xbox One version suffering from frame pacing issues and unlocked frame rate. It makes the game unplayable and the silence from CDPR on the issue is deafening.

that hyperbole

that hyperbole

It is atrocious. There is nothing more I can say about it, it is some of the worst frame pacing I have experienced. Instantly noticeable as soon as gameplay starts, after a few minutes I had to quit the game.

Edit: I should say, the PS4 version may not be as bad as the Xbox One version when you throw an unlocked frame rate into the mix.

Chobel

Okay, first off, the frame pacing issues do not make the game unplayable. It still plays fine, and thousands upon thousands of people are playing it this very minute without complaining about it.

Second, the game just came out today. How about you give CD Projekt Red some time to analyze the issues?

Geez, entitled much?

Really? Like seriously? You're better than this.

1) For many people, framerate pacing issues are very annoying, to the point it kills any enjoyment for the game, rendering it unplayable.

2) Not sure where do you get the idea that it's acceptable for the game to have major issues in the day of release. These issues shouldn't be in the game in the first place.

3) A person who wants the games he buys to work perfectly (within the standards of the industry) is now entitled?

Piggus

My X1 version is coming on Thursday, I ordered the comic book bundle from amazon and since its taking longer to arrive my free shipping got upgraded to next day shipping..this patch 1.01 is the problem or do they need to release another patch to overwrite that one?

I don't think 1.01 addressed or was meant to address this particular issue with the Bone version, but I can't imagine it will take long for them to figure out a fix.

Really? Like seriously? You're better than this.

1) For many people, framerate pacing issues are very annoying, to the point it kills any enjoyment for the game, rendering it unplayable.

2) Not sure where do you get the idea that it's acceptable for the game to have major issues in the day of release. These issues shouldn't be in the game in the first place.

3) A person who wants the games he buys to work perfectly (within the standards of the industry) is now entitled?

A person who literally demands that devs respond to minor issues on the day of a game's release is entitled, yes.

I'm not saying it's acceptable for games to have bugs upon release, but come on... this is far from the first game this gen to have Day One bugs, and it sure as hell won't be the last. And, as far as game bugs go, this one could not be more minor in the grand scheme. If a person is THAT sensitive about these kinds of things, stop buying games until the issues are fixed. Stop giving publishers your money until the game is to your satisfaction.

Sorry for the rant, but I've become more sensitive to these kinds of things after personally witnessing how game production literally sucks the life out of people I care about.

Mastperf

I was wanting to get this soon but I think I'm better off waiting until they fix this. I want my first time through the game to be as enjoyable as possible.

kingwingin

I just fired my ps4 copy and I don't have that same issue in the videos. When I slowly pan the camera around it Is so smooth. Nothing like those videos

Edit: after playing around a bit more it's not a framerate issue from those videos but the camera slowing down. If I hold the stick steady I have no issue but the second I slow down even a bit it hiccups like that but as long as you don't slow down anymore it's fine

A person who literally demands that devs respond to minor issues on the day of a game's release is entitled, yes.

I'm not saying it's acceptable for games to have bugs upon release, but come on... this is far from the first game this gen to have Day One bugs, and it sure as hell won't be the last. And, as far as game bugs go, this one could not be more minor in the grand scheme. If a person is THAT sensitive about these kinds of things, stop buying games until the issues are fixed. Stop giving devs your money until the game is to your satisfaction.

I had the game preordered and preloaded weeks ago, how was anyone to know that the game would ship with these kinds of frame pacing issues? It wasn't even brought up in reviews, aside from the minor mentions of frame rate issues... of which CDPR assured would be cleared up in the Day 1 patch.

I would like some kind of acknowledgement that they are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. I don't expect an immediate remedy, like I said, I waited 2+ weeks for Skyrim to be patched. I hope I don't have to wait that long, but I will if I have to.

I just fired my ps4 copy and I don't have that same issue in the videos. When I slowly pan the camera around it Is so smooth. Nothing like those videos

I found those from a person on the CDPR forums: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...n-Target-Vita-Controls)?p=1677285#post1677285

Chobel

I'm not saying it's acceptable for games to have bugs upon release, but come on... this is far from the first game this gen to have Day One bugs, and it sure as hell won't be the last. And, as far as game bugs go, this one could not be more minor in the grand scheme. If a person is THAT sensitive about these kinds of things, stop buying games until the issues are fixed. Stop giving devs your money until the game is to your satisfaction.

Here is where we disagree, constant and persistent frame pacing issues are not a minor thing.

Sorry for the rant, but I've become more sensitive to these kinds of things after personally witnessing how game production literally sucks the life out of people I care about.

No problem, and I'm also tying to be not insensitive about the lives of game developers, however I believe there are some standards that we should uphold these devs to.

orochi91

If a person is THAT sensitive about these kinds of things, stop buying games until the issues are fixed. Stop giving devs your money until the game is to your satisfaction.

I agree.

It's why I've completely stopped buying games on release day for years now.

It's far more prudent to pick them up months down the line, after (if?) they've been sufficiently patched.

Besides, the issues with TW3 should have been expected, especially given the downgrade threads and general scope of massive games like these.

Mastperf

Can you record a video and upload it to youtube? I'm wanting the PS4 version but I'm afraid of the stuttering problem.

kingwingin

Can you record a video and upload it to youtube? I'm wanting the PS4 version but I'm afraid of the stuttering problem.
I edited my post explaining the issue. The the camera slowing down while panning. Rather than a gradual decline in speed it stops for a split second then resumes the new speed and only does it while slowing down and not speeding up.

I'll try to post a video

Mastperf

I edited my post explaining the issue. The the camera slowing down while panning. Rather than a gradual decline in speed it stops for a split second then resumes the new speed and only does it while slowing down and not speeding up.

I'll try to post a video
Thank you.

I truly am sorry for my rant everyone, it just seems like its becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy to pre-order or buy a game on Day One, and then claim that its unplayable and demand answers from the developer because there are issues with it.

This isn't a new phenomenon, it's a pattern. And it's going to continue down this path until we stop giving the publishers our money for games that end up being unfinished upon release. The only way publishers are going to stop doing this and using the patching system as a money-grabbing crutch is when it starts affecting their bottom line.

orochi91

I truly am sorry for my rant everyone, it just seems like its becoming a self-fulling prophecy to pre-order or buy a game on Day One, and then claim that its unplayable and demand answers from the developer because there are issues with it.

This isn't a new phenomenon, it's a pattern. And it's going to continue down this path until we stop giving the publishers our money for games that end up being unfinished upon release. The only way publishers are going to stop doing this and using the patching system as a money-grabbing crutch is when it starts affecting their bottom line.

Well said.

RoKKeR

Have had zero performance issues and haven't noticed any stuttering on the XBO version, but maybe I don't have a critical enough eye.

Mastperf

Have had zero performance issues and haven't noticed any stuttering on the XBO version, but maybe I don't have a critical enough eye.
I'm glad you aren't bothered by the stuttering. I'm usually that way with most issues (except for tearing) but for some reason this drives me crazy.
^^^Thank you, kingwingin.

I truly am sorry for my rant everyone, it just seems like its becoming a self-fulling prophecy to pre-order or buy a game on Day One, and then claim that its unplayable and demand answers from the developer because there are issues with it.

I always preorder a game I want to play, I am not claiming the game is universally unplayable. But it is unplayable for me with it's current issues, so I do have to wait for a patch. I am not demanding an instant fix, I simply said CDPR is silent on the games current issues and they are. I will wait patiently until it's patched, I was just hoping to be able to play through it as I just finished a second play through of The Witcher 2 on PC in anticipation of The Witcher 3.

Some people just aren't that susceptible to uneven frame pacing or constantly fluctuating frame rates (in the case of Xbox One's unlocked frame rate of a constantly fluctuating 30fps - 40fps). Unfortunately, I am highly susceptible to uneven frame pacing and a frame rate that is constantly changing.

MaulerX

Okay, first off, the frame pacing issues do not make the game unplayable. It may be slightly unpleasant to some, but it still plays fine, and thousands upon thousands of people are playing it this very minute without complaining about it.

Geez, entitled much?

You're right. Not sure where these "unplayable" comments are coming from. I'm a few hours into the XB1 version and so far the game looks great and It's pretty darn smooth overall.

Top Bottom