• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Should you install The Witcher 3's day one patch ( XO version )

omonimo

Banned
How is there any relation between upper and lower boandaries whether or not fps is capped? Fps is a measurement of “load“ on the engine, giving us a direct relation of how many ms the engine to render an image. How does this change when running a game with fps uncapped? The load to the engine is the same.
I don't know tech wise how works exactly. But capped fps, it could drops more often if the average higher fps it's not that high. I don't think to say something of new. But of course I don't know if CD did it intentionally. It's just a suspect.

phyrlord

Without the patch:

90pPU5c.gif

Every PS4/XBONE game by comparison when you have a 980GTX:

Cwnfu4H.gif

Fixed.

c0de

I don't know tech wise how works exactly. But capped fps, it could drops more often if the average higher fps it's not that high. I don't think to say something of new. But of course I don't know if CD did it intentionally. It's just a suspect.

I haven't seen anyone supporting your thesis from yesterday and I don't see anyone doing it now with this new thesis.

omonimo

Banned
I haven't seen anyone supporting your thesis from yesterday and I don't see anyone doing it now with this new thesis.
What thesis? About the capped matter? It's the same DF guy who said on GTA V thread the ps4 version it's 30 steady probably because uncapped average fps it's very high. Why it doesn't works in the same way for this game?

Noobcraft

So I'm wrong because I don't know precisely how works? Wat?
It's more that what you're implying doesn't make much sense. The only thing an unlocked framerate "improves" is the average framerate. It shouldn't make any difference to the lowest framerate, except for maybe improving the bottom end in cases where throttling may happen.
If anything the unlocked framerate is a testament to how buggy the release of this game is, because it makes no sense to implement a dynamic resolution system alongside an unlocked framerate.

AlStrong

4) The modern consoles have 2 display planes (think the X1 has 3 due to it's OS requirements). This means that there's multiple canvases for the final image, and can be rendered at different resolutions, but then scaled to create the final image. This has happened on a couple of 1st party games: SO and Ryse. I'm also pretty sure COD and FC4 do this with the HUD's between dynamic scaling on the platform.
Multiple display planes aren't required, but it makes it easier (and also allows using the HW scaler without mucking up the HUD). Last gen, quite a few devs would scale the frame manually and then overlay the native 720p HUD before presenting to the scaler/video out.

What they mean is, capping frame rate to 30fps will not bring the average below 30fps. On Xbox One the game maintains frame rates above 30fps most of the time, so capping to 30fps would mean it would be consistent most of the time. As Digital Foundry noted, it rarely drops below 30fps. As a result, to your point, it would not drop frames more often. In fact, it would rarely drop frames unlike an unlocked frame rate with a variable 30fps - 40fps instead of a ~90% locked 30fps.

Nephtes

Ugh... Why wouldn't they cap it to 30 FPS on both platforms?

It looks like it's performing well enough to cap it on the Xbox like they did with the PS4. This is so goofy...

AlStrong

It looks like it's performing well enough to cap it on the Xbox like they did with the PS4. This is so goofy...

Wouldn't be a tried and true CDPR launch without bugs. :p Just gotta hope they're aware of the issues.

omonimo

Banned
What they mean is, capping frame rate to 30fps will not bring the average below 30fps. On Xbox One the game maintains frame rates above 30fps most of the time, so capping to 30fps would mean it would be consistent most of the time. As Digital Foundry noted, it rarely drops below 30fps. As a result, to your point, it would not drop frames more often. In fact, it would rarely drop frames unlike an unlocked frame rate with a variable 30fps - 40fps instead of a ~90% locked 30fps.
That's not true at all. And they have tested xbone version partially. Ps4 drops quite frequently in the struggle scenario. We need to see what happens on xbone in the same conditions. But of course could be just a weird choose of the developers.

That's not true at all. And they have tested xbone version partially. Ps4 drops quite frequently in the struggle scenario. We need to see what happens on xbone in the same conditions

That is why I said ~90%, we still need to wait for Digital Foundry to release their full performance analysis to see how The Witcher 3 performs in more demanding scenes.

m@cross

Sooo....

XBONE version is best because it has a higher frame rate average and offers an equal resolution!

I mean if you are going to mislead people with the resolution, why not go all in?

c0de

So I'm wrong because I don't know precisely how works? Wat?

No, because you are acting like “I don't have a clue but I have an opinion“. This is totally fine in discussions and sometimes this is an integral part of a discussion, people often do this. But expect to get responses if you can't argue for your opinion. The other thing is ignoring or not understanding what other people say to you to show you why you are wrong. I don't say you're intentionally ignoring but guess people didn't explain to you good enough.
Either way, this is a tech thread and at least we had a small discussion about tech which this thread is not really populated with :)

I have the game on XB1 and played an hour and a half into it. This is one of my first experiences with a detailed rpg world in an open world setting, having missed out on Mass Effect and other titles similar in vein. It's pretty thrilling so far. The image quality and draw distance are pretty awesome, though sometimes I do feel as if the picture gets better optimized and I'm not sure if that's the dynamic scaling or if the textures are just better optimized in some scenes.

Even though I am a much- maligned 'casual', I noticed the jutter; some people seem to suggest they are scientists for being able to notice the jutter. It came right away in the first cut scene, near the immediate intro. As soon as actual gameplay came along, I was training, then riding the horse to go kill the Griffon, and the jutter was either completely gone or barely discernible. In actual gameplay, this game feels smooth, combat she action are gratifying, and cut scenes vary in their impact from the jutter. The worst sequence for juttering for me so far, occurred in the early intro.

This is not a broken game or an unplayable experience, imo. Those that do have this point of view, perhaps they are exaggerating, haven't played the actual game, are incredibly sensitive to movement of any kind, need to find things to complain aabout, or just want to be 'concerned'.

There were many who were offended by my earlier post, and I simply don't have time to address them all. There were several posts that took issue with my claim that people shouldn't ignore other people's rights to feel differently, because they thought I was doing the same thing. I was able to post and read hundreds or perhaps thousands of posts taking on the issue of the gulf and extreme disparity of 900p v 1080p, before ever laying down myopinion on the matter. So those opinions are already stated and have already been heard and accepted thousands of times, on this board. I was not ignoring that people who think differently on the matter could exist; I simply just didn't write about them because my point of view disagrees with them.

Z3M0G

Right, because the Killzone one ended so well. ;)

I see your point, simply because the courts probably won't care...

But in terms of the customer being given what they are being sold, it's a much different situation.

Killzone - a unique and "controversial" technique was used to reach 1080p, which many argued was not true 1080p. It was something more complex than simply up-scaling.

W3 - box says "1080", yet 100% of the time you are actually seeing real-time graphics the game will be 900 up-scaled.

I see your point, simply because the courts probably won't care...

But in terms of the customer being given what they are being sold, it's a much different situation.

Killzone - a unique and "controversial" technique was used to reach 1080p, which many argued was not true 1080p. It was something more complex than simply up-scaling.

W3 - box says "1080", yet 100% of the time you are actually seeing real-time graphics the game will be 900 up-scaled.

I also refuse to believe the devs are done patching the game, with the unpolished state it seems to be in. It may be too early to call foul play on this one.

playXray

Does it? None of my Xbox or Wii U cases say that. Only my PS4 cases include the resolution.

I'm pretty sure every 360 game I ever owned had 1080p on the back of the box, yet all of them were 720p or less. It's all about output vs internal rendering.

Yep. It runs terribly on PS4 from what I've read so far as well. Considering the fact that they're still working to improve the framerate on Day One, makes me wonder if the game was even finished in the first place. But it's year 2015. This is the norm today. XD

It really doesn't.

aaaaaand i'm back :)

aaand holy shit at the framepacing of XBO version. REALLY wanted that one too but guess i'm picking up PS4 version here shortly now :/

If you have a PS4 and an Xbox One, get the PS4 version.

If you have a PS4, Xbox One and a capable PC, get the PC version.

If you have an Xbox One and nothing else, buy the Xbox One version, just know you're getting a slightly bumpier and less impressive presentation even though the game remains the same.

Pretty simple if you ask me since this has been true of almost every multiplatform game released so far this generation.

No matter what, it's The Witcher 3, it kicks ass, you're gonna have a blast and CDPR will do it's best to fix what it can.

Intrigue

Banned

If you have an Xbox One and nothing else, buy the Xbox One version, just know you're getting a slightly bumpier and less impressive presentation even though the game remains the same.

Pretty simple if you ask me since this has been true of almost every multiplatform game released so far this generation.

No matter what, it's The Witcher 3, it kicks ass, you're gonna have a blast and CDPR will do it's best to fix what it can.

Isn't this common knowledge by now? The exceptions prove the rule!

/thread

There really isn't much else to say.

thelastword

Banned
I noticed you neglected to mention how well dynamic resolution works in Wolfenstein TNO.

Maybe because it doesn't match the narrative you're going for here?
I actually did mention wolfenstein, so it seems I'm not going for any narrative after all. The way Wolfenstein does dynamic resolution and the way W3 does dynamic resolution is at opposite ends of the wave length. One makes sense the other doesn't.

I actually did mention wolfenstein, so it seems I'm not going for any narrative after all. The way Wolfenstein does dynamic resolution and the way W3 does dynamic resolution is at opposite ends of the wave length. One makes sense the other doesn't.

A purely subjective statement. Both are implemented to keep frame rate steady when GPU is under heavy load, and both appear to be doing what they set out to do. The problem right now is the XO build of W3 isn't capping frame rate in a way to address stutter, which I'm sure they'll address.

Metfanant

A purely subjective statement. Both are implemented to keep frame rate steady when GPU is under heavy load, and both appear to be doing what they set out to do. The problem right now is the XO build of W3 isn't capping frame rate in a way to address stutter, which I'm sure they'll address.

i think the other problem people are having with this is the idea of calling the game 1080p with a variable resolution, if its only really 1080p in the menus and some random rare scenes throughout the game...in that case just make the thing 900p and call it a day

i think the other problem people are having with this is the idea of calling the game 1080p with a variable resolution, if its only really 1080p in the menus and some random rare scenes throughout the game...in that case just make the thing 900p and call it a day

Sounds to me like it's more a problem of semantics, but let's go with that scenario for a second.

How much of the game would actually have to be 1080p in order to satisfy the naysayers? Are we talking 40%? 50%? More than 50%? Who decides?

AlexTrevelyan

Neo Member
I've played the XB1 version for about 5 hours or so, and the cutscenes run really poorly but I'm confident that can be fixed with a patch. The game itself runs just fine.

DF says its capped to 30FPS in PS4 in patch 1, but for XB1 may be its hard to do because of dynamic resolution scaling to control FPS. So they have to work really hard to fix this Cap in XB1 with dynamic scaling (thats why they might have missed in the firs patch) or lock game at 900p30 by disabling dynamic scaling.

Piggus

Maybe because lower resolution, they wanted to provide something "better" with FPS?

More like it runs at a lower resolution because the Xbox has a weaker GPU and that's what the system is capable of without sacrificing other details. Just a thought.

A framerate that hovers slightly above 30 fps creates a mess of stuttering. It's not "better" than a locked 30 fps in any way whatsoever.

Metfanant

Sounds to me like it's more a problem of semantics, but let's go with that scenario for a second.

How much of the game would actually have to be 1080p in order to satisfy the naysayers? Are we talking 40%? 50%? More than 50%? Who decides?

i dont have the answer to that...and frankly it doesnt effect me at all since i doubt ill be buying the game on any platform...but while it may be semantics in a sense...its probably just a smidge deceiving to call a game 1080p w/ dynamic resolution if its only 1080p in the menus...you would have to agree with that right?...

if i HAD to throw a number out there id say it would have to be north of 50% of the time for me to feel comfortable with that statement...

i dont have the answer to that...and frankly it doesnt effect me at all since i doubt ill be buying the game on any platform...but while it may be semantics in a sense...its probably just a smidge deceiving to call a game 1080p w/ dynamic resolution if its only 1080p in the menus...you would have to agree with that right?...

I suppose, maybe a little. However, it also kind of feels like the 1.01 patch is problematic in general and there's still touch-ups and optimizations to be done. The game just came out today. I think we should give them some time to make adjustments before jumping down their throat.

thelastword

Banned
It's not about naysayers, it's about logic or what makes sense. Apparently you missed my post on the prior page (hence you thought I never mentioned Wolfenstein), but I also did take a stab at your question, though a bit pre-emptively.

I would say 90% is the ideal percentage. If your game is not meeting the optimum resolution + framerate the majority of the time, then it makes very little sense to implement a DR fixture in your engine. The purpose of DR is to curtail drops under the largest and most intense scenes in your game (in essence, when the shit hits the fan), you want to maintain your framerate even in these scenes.

The way Witcher 3 does it is on the flipside, which makes no sense for DR. It runs 900p 99.5% of the time, then what's the point of DR in that game at all. If anything, it should be doing dynamic resolution from 900p to 720P as I'm sure there will be drops below 30fps on the xbone version at 900p.

The way Witcher 3 does it is on the flipside, which makes no sense for DR. It runs 900p 99.5% of the time, then what's the point of DR in that game at all. If anything, it should be doing dynamic resolution from 900p to 720P as I'm sure there will be drops below 30fps on the xbone version at 900p.

There doesn't appear to be many, if any, drops below 30fps on the XO version with the latest patch, if DF's pre-comparison video is anything to go by. I seriously doubt they'd have to drop down past 900p at all.

Top Bottom