• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Should you install The Witcher 3's day one patch ( XO version )

c0de

Did you misread my post? I didn't mention anything about 1080p. I'm was referring to someone talking about dynamic resolution not being used in the game, when if fact, right in the OP it is clearly stated that dynamic resolution is indeed being used in the game.

Well, “dynamic“. It features different resolutions and I put the blame on df for using the word while in fact it isn't.

Wereroku

Did you misread my post? I didn't mention anything about 1080p. I'm was referring to someone talking about dynamic resolution not being used in the game, when if fact, right in the OP it is clearly stated that dynamic resolution is indeed being used in the game.

It's not really dynamic though. AW adjusts the res by engine load. CDPR seems to have adjusted res manually in certain areas and DF isn't even sure what they adjusted it to or even really sure right now it just seems like it. Either way it is complete bullshit. It's as stupid as claiming you have a variable 60fps game but it only hit 60fps in the menus while in gameplay it's a locked 30.

Steroyd

What you quoted stated the "dynamic resolution" is so pitiful they shouldn't have bothered.

And? Doesn't make or better in any way.
So why is it DF's fault for using the term when they're simply parroting what CDPR told them?
I don't agree with the use of the term either, but the fault should really lie with the people who originally coined it.

it doesn't say ps4 suffers from below 30 fps issues.

it says ps4 suffers way less than the xbone in frame pacing because ps4 runs close to the 29.97 fps and has way more consistency with frames.

I think you're misreading it. PS4 averages less than a perfect 29.97, meaning that it spends roughly half less than 30. Maybe it's at 28 or 27, but it's still like that half the time. At the same time, XB1 averages at 32, meaning half the time it spends below 32. This can mean 31, 30, or below 30, but mathematically it's clear that PS4 spends more time below 30 than XB1. The conclusion made is that if both were capped at 29.97, like they should be, XB1 would have a near perfect 30 fps framerate, while PS4 would not, or at least XB1 would be closer to it than PS4. It's not that PS4 is doing better because it's trying to get a perfect framerate--rather, it's performing worse and as a side effect it appears to hit a lower target than what it was aiming for better than XB1.

I think you're misreading it. PS4 averages less than a perfect 29.97, meaning that it spends roughly half less than 30. Maybe it's at 28 or 27, but it's still like that half the time. At the same time, XB1 averages at 32, meaning half the time it spends below 32. This can mean 31, 30, or below 30, but mathematically it's clear that PS4 spends more time below 30 than XB1.
Does the PS4 version go above 30fps too? Or is it locked at a max of 30?

nib95

Banned
Haha it's amazing how quickly CDPR has tarnished their immaculate reputation with their PR bullshit.

When they went up on stage during the Microsoft presser, amidst all the used games and online only malarkey, things started looking ropey. CDP being devs that always strongly rejected forms of DRM. Since then things have only gotten worse for them on the PR front, for numerous reasons.

I think you're misreading it. PS4 averages less than a perfect 29.97, meaning that it spends roughly half less than 30. Maybe it's at 28 or 27, but it's still like that half the time. At the same time, XB1 averages at 32, meaning half the time it spends below 32. This can mean 31, 30, or below 30, but mathematically it's clear that PS4 spends more time below 30 than XB1. The conclusion made is that if both were capped at 29.97, like they should be, XB1 would have a near perfect 30 fps framerate, while PS4 would not, or at least XB1 would be closer to it than PS4. It's not that PS4 is doing better because it's trying to get a perfect framerate--rather, it's performing worse and as a side effect it appears to hit a lower target than what it was aiming for.

The ps4 version might be capped though...

Because DF is usually about objective, consumer-first reasoning and detailed analysis.
Not parroting PR when it's aimed to misdirect potential buyers.

Could've fooled me.
After all the bullshit Leadbetter spewed at the start of this console generation in line with Microsoft PR, I dont see you could say that with a straight(or should I say 'balanced') face.

c0de

So why is it DF's fault for using the term when they're simply parroting what CDPR told them?
I don't agree with the use of the term either, but the fault should really lie with the people who originally coined it.
They shouldn't parrot but do an analysis.
Fact: xbone doesn't even render sky at 1080p. Question: is it capable of doing so? Answer: surely. Conclusion: game doesn't use dynamic scaling, like at all and what people imagined it to be.

I think you're misreading it. PS4 averages less than a perfect 29.97, meaning that it spends roughly half less than 30. Maybe it's at 28 or 27, but it's still like that half the time. At the same time, XB1 averages at 32, meaning half the time it spends below 32. This can mean 31, 30, or below 30, but mathematically it's clear that PS4 spends more time below 30 than XB1. The conclusion made is that if both were capped at 29.97, like they should be, XB1 would have a near perfect 30 fps framerate, while PS4 would not, or at least XB1 would be closer to it than PS4. It's not that PS4 is doing better because it's trying to get a perfect framerate--rather, it's performing worse and as a side effect it appears to hit a lower target than what it was aiming for better than XB1.

lol performing worse.

it is capped. if you bothered reading the post, the ps4 ran at 29.55 fps, not 27.

and you are trying to put it in a different light. running 0.5 fps below 30 fps. you make it sound like it's a ninja theory game level of performance.

it isn't performing worse. it is running at a higher resolution, very close to 29.97 fps and has way, way less frame pacing issues. is that "performing worse"?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Without the patch:

90pPU5c.gif

With the patch:

Cwnfu4H.gif

ok... it´s a joke
Seeing Death Sword/Barbarian this early in the morning fills me with such joy.

lol performing worse.

it is capped. if you bothered reading the post, the ps4 ran at 29.55 fps, not 27.

and you are trying to put it in a different light. running 0.5 fps below 30 fps. you make it sound like it's a ninja theory game level of performance.

it isn't performing worse. it is running at a higher resolution, very close to 29.97 fps and has way, way less frame pacing issues. is that "performing worse"?

Do you know how averages work? It doesn't just run at 29.55, it runs at a variety of framerates and those, when added up and divided by the number of framerates, average out at 29.55. On average it has 29.55 frames per second--one second might be 10 frames, the next could be 49.1 frames, and it'll still average out to 29.55. Obviously, this isn't how it's running (just an extreme example) but just because the average is 29.55 doesn't mean it's always running at that FR.

Also, it doesn't matter what resolution it's running at--when just talking about framerate, a higher average means higher performing. Bringing in other factors is a completely different story.

It appears as though they went a bit further than what the Xbox One could comfortably handle, and have had to dial it back for post launch performance.

Amused

Mhm, dynamic resolution. If DF continues to use that term in the full analysis I guess we should all know something is up.

This is some bullshit from multiple sources.

Gurish

Do you know how averages work? It doesn't just run at 29.55, it runs at a variety of framerates and those, when added up and divided by the number of framerates, average out at 29.55. On average it has 29.55 frames per second--one second might be 10 frames, the next could be 49.1 frames, and it'll still average out to 29.55. Obviously, this isn't how it's running (just an extreme example) but just because the average is 29.55 doesn't mean it's always running at that FR.

Also, it doesn't matter what resolution it's running at--when just talking about framerate, a higher average means higher performing. Bringing in other factors is a completely different story.

Yea it sounds to me like we might have another case of DA:I in regards to the PS4 and XB1 versions, still for me it's good enough if it's running at 30 most of the time on the PS4, but i get why some might prefer the better performance option if indeed XB1 is 30 locked when capped.

it is capped at 30 and is averaging 29.55. read that again for me please.

do i know how averages work? talk about irony.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Since it's relevant to this patch, why do effects need to be turned down in cutscenes versus in gameplay in order to save performance? Shouldn't a huge game like this be able to handle more effects in cutscenes than in gameplay? Normally I would chalk it up to differences in LOD models but the model quality difference in this game seems negligible.

pastrami

I know you asked Emptyspace if he knew how averages work, but I have to ask if you know how averages work.

Cidd

Wait wut?

BokehKing

Banned
Did anyone say yet of ps4 will have similar issues with the day 1 patch? Still not sure which system to buy it for. I figured marketing deal with Microsoft (on consoles) so they may have put more care into that one?

Someone needs to look up some khan academy videos on statistics.

Yea it sounds to me like we might have another case of DA:I in regards to the PS4 and XB1 versions, still for me it's good enough if it's running at 30 most of the time on the PS4, but i get why some might prefer the better performance option if indeed XB1 is 30 locked when capped.

No it sounds like the PS4 version is capped but the Xbone version isn't.

Top Bottom