• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs DriveClub

Anyone remember those times when people said this was the best looking game ever made? Like ever?
Even though dozens of people pointed out how those were probably photomode bullshots?

Good times, good times.

There is never going to be consensus on that. People are entitled to their opinions. I am sure you have yours, and quite possibly I will disagree with that. Having said that, I do think it has the best lighting I have seen in a game and the best environmental assets in a racing game. IQ could definitely be better. I certainly wouldn't say best looking, as I prefer games with more spectacle and car games aren't top of my pops.

Also, you make it sound like the game was trashed in this analysis. On the contrary, they were praising the visuals. It is good to have a racing game which finally gives equal attention to proper trackside assets. I have been to most of the locations in this game, and this is the first time I can say that the environments are beginning to get close to real vistas. Still a long way to go obviously. But for me this is a Crysis moment in car games. In fact I think if this was on PC it would be the Crysis of car games on a visual front.

Utter bullshit. I've noticed DF have made gameplay critiques on both this and Infamous: Second Son. Do they do this with games from other publishers, or is it an anti-Sony bias?

Eh, they seem to do this with all of their analyses, regardless of publisher or platform. It's clearly their way of more deeply cross-threading their relationship with their host, Eurogamer, which does want traffic for their reviews.

jett

D-Member
Utter bullshit. I've noticed DF have made gameplay critiques on both this and Infamous: Second Son. Do they do this with games from other publishers, or is it an anti-Sony bias?

Did you even read the article? It's more positive about the game than most actual reviews.

nib95

Banned
Got any direct feeds of that`?

iboqeO5r5mErVQ.jpg

driveclubschermafbeelxcf6z.png

ibmoM847Vbj4Kc.jpg

ibwal03kDVPhCE.jpg

iUdSK8pdwufnF.jpg

ib1b9xseI9ygTI.jpg

iffRQeozzPS83.jpg

i3wr2xD4No620.jpg

BzWhdkRIYAALUAV.jpg:orig

3cmXJB.jpg

ipSIsPqJah8TD.jpg~original

iNIpz90anEeeC.jpg

ibuD7xqVInkGEa.jpg

il3rwHP5ofhwH.jpg

Thrakier

FXAA. And console people go nuts about the image quality in small GIFs, praising it like it's the second coming. And then it's using...FXAA. Wow.

Those are pretty compressed, are there any uncompressed shots anywhere?
There is never going to be consensus on that. People are entitled to their opinions. I am sure you have yours, and quite possibly I will disagree with that. Having said that, I do think it has the best lighting I have seen in a game and the best environmental assets in a racing game. IQ could definitely be better. I certainly wouldn't say best looking, as I prefer games with more spectacle and car games aren't top of my pops.

Also, you make it sound like the game was trashed in this analysis. On the contrary, they were praising the visuals. It is good to have a racing game which finally gives equal attention to proper trackside assets. I have been to most of the locations in this game, and this is the first time I can say that the environments are beginning to get close to real vistas. Still a long way to go obviously. But for me this is a Crysis moment in car games. In fact I think if this was on PC it would be the Crysis of car games on a visual front.
I get the feeling the game is suffering on an IQ level (aliasing/ AF / lods). Obviously the shading is great though.

Anyone remember those times when people said this was the best looking game ever made? Like ever?
Even though dozens of people pointed out how those were probably photomode bullshots?

Good times, good times.

Uhmm, no, I dont remember that. Do you have a link to those comments, either of the ones that you are remembering so fondly?

Such Good Times!

VanWinkle

FXAA. And console people go nuts about the image quality in small GIFs, praising it like it's the second coming. And then it's using...FXAA. Wow.

What? People don't go crazy about the image quality. Its the one thing most of us have an issue with.

I love it when people try to dance around the fact that this is the best-looking console (and IQ aside, PC too) racer ever.

pixlexic

Banned
I love it when people try to dance around the fact that this is the best-looking console (and IQ aside, PC too) racer ever.

Why not refute the statements instead of making drive by accusations with no merit?

The game has a lot of flaws graphically. People have shown that.

Oh damn, missed that post. But whatever, this is obviously to be ignored completely. Yes, the game isn't perfectly polished, visible LOD and pop-in but overall looks extraordinary great.

Not happy about that at all. Sounds unoptimized. Why is now becoming more common in games? GTA5 had shit loads of it. KZ:SF had some in it.

Note to Developers. Get. Rid. Of. This. Shit.

:-(

Although, maybe it's not as bad to me personally when I play the game - I sure hope not...

Nice tech analysis, till they had to spew that open world bullshit. Cmon DF, that had to be the dumbest critique of driveclub yet. Please next time stick to the tech.

Gestault

WOW! I thought this type of stuff would have been left behind in the last gen.

idTXHbFUrapTK.jpg

To be fair, that's just a practical reality of the hardware used, and the underlying priorities. Depending on the situation, you'll see that in any of the best looking games. That's a real reflection, not just a Screen-Space reflection, so unless the hardware can handle running a scene several times over, you need a lower resolution framebuffer for it.

VanWinkle

Lol come on now....

What? Are you serious? Pretty much every single person who plays it brings up the aliasing, nobody mentions that the IQ is great, and you can't tell IQ from a downsampled GIF so very few people would have made such an illogical conclusion.

EGM1966

I'd say Need for Speed kinda rules this out.
Unless I'm missing something they aren't full open world and they're not really racing games in the sense of Gran Tourismo, F1, Forza (main series), Project Gotham, etc.

if you're looking for a game focused on the act of driving you are majority looking at an experience involving tracks/roads and that remains the main focus (even including stuff like NFS and Burnout Paradise which provide multiple open roads/tracks but are not true open world).

To be fair, that's just a practical reality of the hardware used, and the underlying priorities. Depending on the situation, you'll see that in any of the best looking games.
Glaringly distracting and ugly effects like that are usually kept hidden in the background though and aren't shoved in your face whilst covering 90% of the screen.

WOW! I thought this type of stuff would have been left behind in the last gen.

idTXHbFUrapTK.jpg

Reminds me of GT5.

iltXpGuBXArbY.jpg

That's bad and if it looks as bad as that to my eyes on a 42" screen from @ 8ft away, I'm not going to be happy.

I think Evo should do some explaining here as this looks like another version of their duping again.

If developers continue to do this, they are gonna lose support and this will fuck them in the long run.

Explain this shitty IQ Rushy!

Btw, looking at a lot of the comments which criticize the IQ, could this be down to how big their screen is and/or how close they sit to it? I remember playing MK8 at Game and it was a fucking JAGGFEST of the highest order. Jaggiest piece of shit I'd EVER seen. HOWEVER, when I got it home, as per my settings above, looks extremely clean where for the most part, I have to 'look' for the jaggies. Night and Day comparison.

What TV Size/Distance are people playing this game who dislike or like the IQ?

Raistlin

Except it's using multiple types of AA, not just FXAA ... and the article directly states that while it may not be perfect it is in fact a cut above other PS4/XBone titles.

In other words, some of the best or the best AA on a console title thus far.

In gameplay terms, the lack of open world exploration and use of fixed tracks may seem a little behind the times...

*breaks all the things*

Open world is not necessary for racing games! A racing game isn't worse because it has tracks. How many racing series are open world? When was the last time you saw Lewis Hamilton driving his Mercedes F1 car through some farm land?

pixlexic

Banned
Except it's using multiple types of AA, not just FXAA ... and the article directly states that while it may not be perfect it is in fact a cut above other PS4/XBone titles.

Whaaa..?? This thread is full of people complaining about the aa!

cyen

Sorry, no even close.

Raistlin

Whaaa..?? This thread is full of people complaining about the aa!
I admittedly haven't played it yet, but am going by the specifics of the DF article. That's what they said.

Apparently their critique is wrong then in subjective terms? That being the case, the poster I was responding to was specifically stating FXAA as the culprit and seemed to be implying it was the only AA mech. That is factually wrong ... and all I was trying to point out.

Woah there buddy.

Sorry, no even close.
see above

I shouldn't have been so strong ... 'cut above' was their phrasing.

Gestault

Might just be a glitch. They did say they didn't notice that in any other part of the game besides when you first get in the car. Else reflections look nice.

Not a glitch, it's the difference between SSR (Screen-Space Reflections, which use a mirror of previous full-screen frames to create the reflection layer), and an actual real-time scene reflection, which generally will need a smaller frame-buffer because of rendering the scene twice or more. SSR works great when you're reflecting a scene at either horizontal or vertical angles, but it won't work when you hit a certain angle outside of that. It's why when you look down far enough in something like Shadowfall, horizontal reflections for the environment fade out.

Edit: Also, the player's avatar is a vampire.

hawk2025

It's like this thread belongs in the bizarro world where DF has absolutely slammed the tech accomplishments of the game.

Why not refute the statements instead of making drive by accusations with no merit?

The game has a lot of flaws graphically. People have shown that.
Not more than most other games. Though i was hoping for better iq myself, it looks great in motion.
But yeah, it's the worst aliassing you have seen this gen...

Uhmm, no, I dont remember that. Do you have a link to those comments, either of the ones that you are remembering so fondly?

Such Good Times!
just use the search "best looking" "driveclub"
I disagree with that. I think DriveClub is pretty much the best looking game out there, period.
Omfg. This is the best looking racer I've ever seen...and I tempted to say best looking game I've ever seen. Just incredible.
The best graphics ever imo.
Looks incredible. Best looking racer I've ever seen -

anyone find some some uncompressed shots yet?

It's like this thread belongs in the bizarro world where DF has absolutely slammed the tech accomplishments of the game.

Pretty much haha I think some people assumed they would have slammed it and didn't bother to read the article or quote in the OP.

As expected, the experience is delivered in native 1080p with some impressive image quality gains courtesy of a complex anti-aliasing system that covers several bases. Evolution Studios uses a variety of anti-aliasing passes, including a post-process FXAA, temporal and pixel-based passes, along with further algorithms that work directly on materials themselves. Most edges appear clean and smooth giving the title a distinctly super-sampled appearance across many objects, although this level of quality doesn't quite extend across the entire scene.

As impressive as this sounds, unfortunately there are still some noticeable jaggies around the bodywork of the cars, on fences and some of the walls surrounding the track, where the post-process anti-aliasing algorithm appears to miss quite a few edges at certain angles. However, beyond these artefacts the results are generally excellent and a cut above most PS4 and Xbox One releases.

pixlexic

Banned
Not more than most other games. Though i was hoping for better iq myself, it looks great.
But yeah, it's the worst aliassing you have seen this gen...

I said worst af this gen. Which it is mostly because it's mixed with very low res textures. It just ends up solid colors at a short distance.

That first track is worse than others. it was not a good track to lead with.

Corine

Sorry but I'd give that to Project Cars PC. The screenshots are on another level for that game in the PC screenshot thread.

The Gifs of Driveclub floating around were very misleading.

Of course they are, how can a low res embedded gif properly represent the way a game actually looks?

There's been a ton of HQ direct feed gameplay around for ages, it just seems like some people didn't bother to watch it. The game looks as good as better than it did in any of those videos.

Quotient

I am confused too. DF seem to praise the technological accomplishments of the game, yet the last few pages seem to indicate as though it was the opposite.

Top Bottom