• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ adds Trunks

Nah, Elphelt does.

It's not that they can't do it. Just that they don't. It's a lot work according to them.

For some reason they felt in the transition from Sign to Revelator, Elphelt needed a new costume so they did one for her, and just provided her old one as an alt.

But it's not something you should expect them to do for the entire roster.

The goat
tumblr_inline_n13jtgSNpR1s6nw8r.gif

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Pretty sure most DBS fans prefer the look of android saga Trunks so this post just looks dumb.

Still a chance that he'll have some things from DBS incorporated into his moveset btw.
I specifically meant people who wanted his DBS look, lol. If the subject matter at hand didn't make that clear enough

I also want him to have DBS moves. More sword use = good

RRockman

Banned
If he's from the future, how come he has a 90s haircut?

Except Golden Frieza is from a Dragon Ball Z movie.

The same reason gundam 0079 is set in the far future but has a track like this in their soundtrack.

Becauseit'scoolshutup :p

Z trunks was best trunks. I'm so in!!!

Skbzi

Neo Member
Trunks is cool but he was a jobber in DBZ, just like his pops.

Trunks in DBS is the shit though. I hope he has his SSR transformation as a super ;)

Alienous

I'm holding out for Dabura 'til the end of the night
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight

They aren't going to miss out on including another sword-wielding character. Plus Dabura's visual design works on his favour.

So it's him or Yajirobe.

Big One

Banned
I'm really curious what they mean by unexpected characters. Are we gonna get some crazy shit like Mr. Popo playable or something like that? Or are they just talking about Super characters like Caulifla (who is VERY likely to be in the game due to the director's comments)? Hope we get some crazy confirmations.

Big One

Banned
Golden Frieza is confirmation that it's not happening.
Somebody's going to say, "Oh well that debuted in a Z movie, not Super!" to wave this off.

But they're forgetting Super and the movies are essentially made the exact same way, and while the Super adaptations of the two movies are pretty bad for the most part, the actual original arcs in Super are done in the same way Toriyama did those two movies. It's all canon content from Toriyama either way, and both Super and the new Z movies are popular in the fandom right now.

Justinh

Happy they went with the Trunks for which I have the most nostalgia. I kinda hope the roster stays all Z focused too, since there's a Z at the end. (I hadn't noticed Goku's boots, though. edit: idunno, just looking at E3 gameplay #2 video. looks like he's wearing Z boots) Golden Freeza though? ugh, at least he's not a separate character...

Now I really hope we get "Future Gohan", the man needs to be in the spot light.
but with both arms
I think I hope he only has one arm. I didn't like it in Xenoverse 2 where he still had both. I think he's more interesting with just one arm.
Bardock, please! That's all I asked for.

Bardock's one of my favorite characters, but I'm not so sure if I care if he's in this game for some reason. I think Popo could be interesting though.

Somebody's going to say, "Oh well that debuted in a Z movie, not Super!" to wave this off.

But they're forgetting Super and the movies are essentially made the exact same way, and while the Super adaptations of the two movies are pretty bad for the most part, the actual original arcs in Super are done in the same way Toriyama did those two movies.

How does that in any way debunk the fact that Golden Frieza debuted in a Dragon Ball Z movie, not in Dragon Ball Super?

It's all canon content from Toriyama either way,

Irrelevant, Broly is probably going to be in this game and neither Toei, nor Toriyama, appear to care about what's "canon" and what isn't.

Kreed

See this is the sort of stuff I'd rather not see - the Super versions of the characters are pretty much the Z versions with new abilities/moves/transformations and maybe a design tweak. To accommodate stuff from Z and Super separately you're going to have to fill the roster with clones. Frieza in this game basically incorporates all his Super and Z stuff, why not the other characters?

Agreed, and most people just want to play the strongest forms anyway. I'd rather they focus on making a diverse fighting game roster and give current Goku, Vegeta, etc... additional transformations via button inputs/energy bars or upgrade them in the sequel.

J-Skee

I'm really curious what they mean by unexpected characters. Are we gonna get some crazy shit like Mr. Popo playable or something like that? Or are they just talking about Super characters like Caulifla (who is VERY likely to be in the game due to the director's comments)? Hope we get some crazy confirmations.

They definitely should not include anyway who hasn't seen a fight. Not Mr. Popo, not Whis & definitely not Caulifla. We haven't seen anything she can do yet. Unless they got the storyboards from Toei for future episodes & they know her fighting style, keep her out of it for now. Let's focus on the skills of characters & not the characters themselves.

I think I hope he only has one arm. I didn't like it in Xenoverse 2 where he still had both. I think he's more interesting with just one arm.

blame japanese age rating systems, showing characters with missing body parts makes that rating go up quite easily

jett

D-Member
...wait why is Trunks' hair not purple in Super?

See this is the sort of stuff I'd rather not see - the Super versions of the characters are pretty much the Z versions with new abilities/moves/transformations and maybe a design tweak. To accommodate stuff from Z and Super separately you're going to have to fill the roster with clones. Frieza in this game basically incorporates all his Super and Z stuff, why not the other characters?

Honestly people that actually want multiple cloned characters are kind of on the crazy side. I'd rather have a roster made of unique characters, not endless Saiyan variations.

Fj0823

Playing with him will be all the rage.

Hehehehe

...wait why is Trunks' hair not purple in Super?

In the manga his main characteristic is having the same hair color as his mother

The anime changed Bulma's hair color from lavender to Blue, so Toriyama's been trying to make Trunks match since the DB revival movie battle of Gods, he draws him with Blue hair all the time now.

He got his way in Super because he has more control on the designs

Does it make a difference? it's being old shit or new shit is the only difference

Kinda?

DBZ and you've got SSG, SSB, Beerus, Golden Frieza, Whis, which are all fair inclusions in the roster.

DBS would be characters like Hit, Kale, Claulifla, Black, Zamasu, Jiren etc and, so far, there's no evidence they will make it into the base game.

Big One

Banned
How does that in any way debunk the fact that Golden Frieza debuted in a Dragon Ball Z movie, not in Dragon Ball Super?
Because where it debuted is irrelevant to whether or not it's in this game or not. What's relevant is popularity and importance to the franchise above all else. You even pretty much say this in your other response:
Irrelevant, Broly is probably going to be in this game and neither Toei, nor Toriyama, appear to care about what's "canon" and what isn't.
If it doesn't matter if Broly is canon or not, why would it matter if a character debuted exclusively in Super? The characters from Super are just as popular in the modern Dragon Ball fandom as any other popular Dragon Ball character.
They definitely should not include anyway who hasn't seen a fight. Not Mr. Popo, not Whis & definitely not Caulifla. We haven't seen anything she can do yet. Unless they got the storyboards from Toei for future episodes & they know her fighting style, keep her out of it for now. Let's focus on the skills of characters & not the characters themselves.
Since the game is releasing in 2018 it's very likely the Universal Survival arc will be finished or close to be finished by the time this game is released.

Alienous

If it doesn't matter if Broly is canon or not, why would it matter if a character debuted exclusively in Super? The characters from Super are just as popular in the modern Dragon Ball fandom as any other popular Dragon Ball character.

No they aren't. Kale, a Broly parody character, is not nearly as popular as Broly. Not even remotely close.

Goku Black isn't fractionally as popular as Cell. He couldn't be.

And it goes on.

Big One

Banned
No they aren't. Kale, a Broly parody character, is not nearly as popular as Broly. Not even remotely close.
I mean sure compared to Broly and other iconic Dragon Ball characters she isn't, but the fact that people ask for her and others at all on nearly every forum, comment section, and etc. on the internet from people all across the world should be telling there's a pretty big and growing fanbase for the Super characters.

Alienous

I mean sure compared to Broly and other iconic Dragon Ball characters she isn't, but the fact that people ask for her and others at all on nearly every forum, comment section, and etc. on the internet should be telling there's a pretty big and growing fanbase for the Super characters.

Yeah, but they were asking for Cabba not too long ago, yet he isn't appearing on a ton of lists now.

People like novelty, sure, but not over popularity.

Top Bottom