• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynamic Resolution for Halo 5?

Congratulations, you will be the first ever person I put on the ignore list. In every halo and gears thread you do this.

On topic. I'm far from an expert so is the dynamic resolution better than say, 900p?

You must confuse me with someone else... i havent posted that much in Gears threads.

I took nibs post to be talking about campaign (with the whole vistas, epic sandbox comments) and I still believe that 30 FPS would be better for the campaign if it means larger encounter design and scale, comparable that to something like the older games.

Now, granted, I'd take larger encounter design and scale at 60 FPS over 30 FPS, but the E3 showing was quite poor and I'm still waiting to see such encounters.

evilalien

Wouldn't be better if they settled for 30fps for campaign and 60 for MP?

It does look like they may be doing that since we have screenshots showing the game running at both 30 and 60 fps.

I mean a resolution under 900p this Gen is really disappointed IMO.

832x810 is actually less than half of 900p. Even 832x1080 is about 60% of the pixels of 900p, so come release I hope that that the minimum res is higher or the game doesn't dip that low very frequently.

Kinsella

Banned
To notice a single frame out of 60 per second rendering at a different resolution? Okay. We will see.

Compared to a screen tear, or a drop to sub 60, I'm way more in favour of this solution.

I've played PS4 and Xbox One games that do it and I never once noticed it. Screen tearing and frame dropping, though, is something I almost always see.

Btw im not hating on that solution, its cool that they want to keep 60fps.

But its a bit disappointing that a 1st party titles struggles to mentain a fixd resolution at 60fps.

Yes we have to see this more open scenarios that Frankie talked about.

But at the moment its disappointing to me.

This is only dynamic on the horizontal axis right? At least that's good. But I think the minimum shouldn't be lower than what Halo 2 Anniversary ran at, 1328x1080. Otherwise the difference could be too noticable.

Kayant

Sounds like a great idea to me if it allows them to get great performance at all times. Haven't played a game that dynamically switches res but I think framerate drops would be more noticeable.

Btw im not hating on that solution, its cool that they want to keep 60fps.

But its a bit disappointing that a 1st party titles struggles to mentain a fixd resolution at 60fps.

Yes we have to see this more open scenarios that Frankie talked about.

But at the moment its disappointing to me.

How do you know this? You actually have no idea if it struggles at all. People keep telling you the exact same thing and you simply ignore it. The game is not final. Just stop.

vpance

832x810 is actually less than half of 900p. Even 832x1080 is about 60% of the pixels of 900p, so come release I hope that that the minimum res is higher or the game doesn't dip that low very frequently.

It's just under 720p by about 2%. Guess that's why they had that 720p frame on the whiteboard.

hesido

Guys, think of it this way. Instead of being presented the same frame twice (v-sync) or being presented a portion of a frame laid on top of the previous frame (tearing), the game will present you with a completely new frame albeit at a lesser resolution. I'd choose the latter. Please don't make Halo Devs regret this nice decision.

MaLDo

If AAA budget, first party and not impressive graphics results in incredible low resolution 343i better rethink their tech/visual decissions.

Guys, think of it this way. Instead of being presented the same frame twice (v-sync) or being presented a portion of a frame laid on top of the previous frame (tearing), the game will present you with a completely new frame albeit at a lesser resolution. I'd choose the latter. Please don't make Halo Devs regret this nice decision.

Exactly. It's hard to explain this to people who are hell-bent on twisting this as a negative.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/dynamic-resolution-rendering-sample

Nvidia cards on PC can do this with super sampling as well. That way, you can run a game at 4k on a 1080p screen (supersampled) on a card that may not be able to fully support 4k at all times in every scene. Instead of dropping frames or tearing, the scene is scaled down in output resolution dynamically, maintaining smoothness, while also being almost completely unnoticeable in motion.

krang

This is only dynamic on the horizontal axis right? At least that's good. But I think the minimum shouldn't be lower than what Halo 2 Anniversary ran at, 1328x1080. Otherwise the difference could be too noticable.

H2A had this? Honestly had no idea, even after playing through a couple of times.

EagleEyes

How do you know this? You actually have no idea if it struggles at all. People keep telling you the exact same thing and you simply ignore it. The game is not final. Just stop.
Yeah its getting embarrassing at this point. Frankie came on this very forum and said to take nothing away resolution wise on what was shown at E3. Nothing is finalized at this point.

H2A had this? Honestly had no idea, even after playing through a couple of times.

Not that I'm aware. H2A rendered at a constant 1328x1080 locked @ 60 Hz in the framebuffer. No dynamic resolution scaling. It's better than going for a 900p solution (generally 1600x900) because it only stretches the output in one direction, rather than two, so it looks sharper in the end.

Uhm they have to use a Dynamic Resolution for 60fps... thats a struggle to me.

The game is almost final. Come by release and everything will be the same. And i just told you than i dont believe in magic.

I just think it's hilarious that there are people out there whose first thoughts of a game is if it's 1080p/60fps and that is a majority of what they even think of the game before and after they play it....so sad

VinFTW

Uhm they have to use a Dynamic Resolution for 60fps... thats a struggle to me.

The game is almost final. Come by release and everything will be the same. And i just told you than i dont believe in magic.
Any halo fan, which you're not, who complains against a lower resolution in favor of stable 60fps is NOT the target audience for this game.

Plenty of PC games you can play at high fidelity and 60fps.

343 knows their audience, 60fps above all, anybody who says otherwise hasn't experienced 60fps halo or doesn't know halo at all.

I just think it's hilarious that there are people out there whose first thoughts of a game is if it's 1080p/60fps and that is a majority of what they even think of the game before and after they play it....so sad

If i buy new Hardware, i expect better things ;)

There is nothing wrong with that.

jem0208

Seriously, this is just willful ignorance at this point; you're literally ignoring facts to suit your own reality.

The game is not final, something like resolution is definitely subject to change. Sure they may use a dynamic solution, however you can't take exact resolutions as an indication of what the game will run at.

There was no target resolution. With the beta already at only 720p, things werent looking good.
7 Months later and the game still suffers from Aliasing and on top of that now uses a Dynamic resolution.

Then how the shit do you know that it struggles to maintain a target resolution that doesn't even exist? You're being intentionally obtuse at this point.

832x810 yeah eww...

Yep. Two different screens from a months old debug build of an unfinished game demonstrating a minimum bar in a dynamic scaling solution. Halo 5 runs at 832x810 everyone! Make the thread!

VinFTW

Well that's a load of crap.
No, no it's not.

I'd love to hear an argument in favor of 30fps halo.

But, you know, let's ignore the multiple halo communities around the web who think the best thing to happen to halo was 60fps. Any shooter should be 60fps.

Favoring a stable 60fps over all should be commended in a shooter. I'm glad they stick to their guns rather than listen to the absurd tech threads around the Internet.

Then how the shit do you know that it struggles to maintain a target resolution that doesn't even exist? You're being intentionally obtuse at this point.

Not sure about you, but 900p to 1080p should be a standard now. And they dont hit neither of that. We can probably thank the XboxOne Hardware for that.

There is no need to be agressive buddy... btw

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
If AAA budget, first party and not impressive graphics results in incredible low resolution 343i better rethink their tech/visual decissions.

uhhh Tell this to Bethesda, there is lot more than graphics that makes a AAA games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It is a good decision, but it isn't a free ticket.

If - at the level of detail they've chosen for the game - it drops below 60fps eg 20% of the time and they drop the resolution to comoensate, that is reasonable.

If it drops frames 50% of the time and is therefore dropping resolution all the time, then I would suggest they should have dialled back the graphics.

Detective

832x810 yeah eww...

You are really pushing it now. Like you know everything. You also went so far to say that Gears 4 won't hit 60FPS with UE4.

If you already have a Standard for resolution and You obviously already know the resolution for Halo and Gears 4, Than why bother taking your time posting in here if you don't like it?

ViciousDS

Banned
Resolution is more important than framerate in a shooter?

In call of duty yes....because your trying to snipe something that you can't even tell from a distance

In halo.....not really. Plus it won't look bad when its just the horizontal resolution being affected. This type of technique is great and hardly noticeable for the masses. But for people around here who hyperbole......there experience of shooting sometimes becomes this.

ibqQ9kYAcSDeHH.gif

Keep it 60 and it will still be beautiful and great.

Really wish they would have gone for 1080/30 for campaign (so I can co-op locally) and x/60 for MP. Halo 4 really pushed the 360 and I wish Halo 5 would also go for the max visually.

Yeah I don't really care for 60fps in single player shooters.

Omni

No, no it's not.

I'd love to hear an argument in favor of 30fps halo.

But, you know, let's ignore the multiple halo communities around the web who think the best thing to happen to halo was 60fps. Any shooter should be 60fps.

Favoring a stable 60fps over all should be commended in a shooter. I'm glad they stick to their guns rather than listen to the absurd tech threads around the Internet.
No one is saying 60fps is worse than 30fps. No one at all.

The point is that the trade-offs to reach that framerate are questionable to a lot of people. Not arguing that it will because I realise this is unfinished stuff, but if Halo 5 were to release and have resolution drops to 832x810, well a lot of people aren't going to be happy. If 60fps requires chopping the resolution in half then something is seriously wrong. If the system can't handle it, then lower the poly count in models or change the lighting instead. Or whatever. You get the point.

Throwing their opinions away because you think "they don't get Halo" is a load of bullshit. Halo has always catered towards a wide range of players who care about different things.

Detective

God please stop with that excuse...

What is your excuse when the final game is the same?

Looks like im not off with that. Campaign Demo was 30fps. Dont know the Resolution.

Yeah, either way you can't make a statement like that for a game that's one and half years away from release. That's just pathetic imo.

If you are not happy with your X1, sell it and buy something else. Make yourself a favor. Obviously you spend more time posting than playing.

Yeah, either way you can't make a statement like that for a game that's one and half years away from release. That's just pathetic imo.

If you are not happy with your X1, sell it and buy something else. Make yourself a favor. Obviously you spend more time posting than playing.

LOL
So im not allowed to discuss the tech? Who are you to tell me that?

Calm down...

jem0208

Sry but i have to put you on ignore. If you think that the game will dramaticly change in a 3 months timeframe, believe that.. i wont.

I know you're probably going to ignore this just like you do every other post which categorically proves you wrong, however I'd like to try and push this across to you.

I'm very curious to see what you think about the fact that Destiny was 1080p on the Xbox One at launch.

Especially considering the game went gold on roughly the 25th of August; only 1 month after it's beta on the Xbox which ran at 900p.

Was that magic? Because according to you it would have to be.

Fisty

I know you're probably going to ignore this just like you do every other post which categorically proves you wrong, however I'd like to try and push this across to you.

I'm very curious to see what you think about the fact that Destiny was 1080p on the Xbox One at launch.

Especially considering the game went gold on roughly the 25th of August; only 1 month after it's beta on the Xbox which ran at 900p.

Was that magic? Because according to you it would have to be.

The magic of dropping the Kinect GPU overhead, yes.

Top Bottom