• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynamic Resolution for Halo 5?

It's also footage of an incomplete game from weeks/months ago.

Yup. I don't know why it needs to be mentioned again but really:

This is literally not at all indicative of the final product.
We have no idea if the final game will have a dynamic or fixed resolution.
If there is dynamic resolutions, we have no idea of what the lower and upper bounds will be.
If the resolution is locked, we have no idea what it will be locked at.

And honestly, in regards to the latter two, 343i probably doesn't know the answer either. They certainly have some sort of internal target, but they won't know exactly until they're done with final polish and optimizing, which is when this kind of stuff gets locked in.

But of course this is going to all be debated for 10 more pages by the time I wake up.

Biggzy

I remember Rage or Doom 3 on ps3 which drops res in the same way in the chaotic scene. It was really annoying from my point of view. I don't understand this obsession for 1080 number in the res when 960x1080p frankly it's quite horrible IQ wise.

So they use this res just for the beta? Not has sense to me.

It helps with upscaling, as you are only changing one of the axises.

omonimo

Banned
Yup. I don't know why it needs to be mentioned again but really:

This is literally not at all indicative of the final product.
We have no idea if the final game will have a dynamic or fixed resolution.
If there is dynamic resolutions, we have no idea of what the lower and upper bounds will be.
If the resolution is locked, we have no idea what it will be locked at.

And honestly, in regards to the latter two, 343i probably doesn't know the answer either. They certainly have some sort of internal target, but they won't know exactly until they're done with final polish and optimizing, which is when this kind of stuff gets locked in.

But of course this is going to all be debated for 10 more pages by the time I wake up.
So just to know how magically hit 60 fps in a bunch of months without dynamic res? Why use 960x1080p if they can hit 60 fps at higher res? I doubt will abandoned it in the final release. If I'm not wrong Wolfenstein used the same range of dynamic res on xbone.

So just to know how magically hit 60 fps in a bunch of months without dynamic res? Why use 960x1080p if they can hit 60 fps at higher res?

I literally said in the post you responded to that resolution won't be locked in until they complete final polish and optimization. It's not "magic", they just aren't yet at the point where the focus is entire on performance enhancements.

omonimo

Banned
I literally said in the post you responded to that resolution won't be locked in until they complete final polish and optimization. It's not "magic", they just aren't yet at the point where the focus is entire on performance enhancements.
You will be quite disappointed if you think it never hit 960x1080p thanks to the future optmization. It's not the first time. It not will be the last.

KieranD

Banned
They've got time to optimise - this game should look good, and run at 1080p @ 60 fps, there shouldn't be any excuse for an exclusive. I could handle even 45fps, with all the bells and whistles - what is wrong with the xbone? Why can't it get the job done?

Name a first party exclusive for PS4 that has hit 1080p 60 frames what is wrong with the PS4?

They've got time to optimise - this game should look good, and run at 1080p @ 60 fps, there shouldn't be any excuse for an exclusive. I could handle even 45fps, with all the bells and whistles - what is wrong with the xbone? Why can't it get the job done?
And play a judder fest that feels worse than 30FPS? Lol.

Uhm this screenshots from the Different Resolutions are from MAY. Its in the last Episode of The Sprint. So it isnt that old.

Btw here is that other snippet someone noticed.

dynamicr6vu5b.png

Sry but at this point there is no doubt.

I don't think there is anything to indicate that this is how the final version will be. I will be disappointed if they don't hit 1080p though.

Skux

Dynamic resolution in a multiplayer game? Gonna be annoying when your target turns into a mush of pixels in front of you.

I'd take a detail reduction over this.

Madness

I don't think there is anything to indicate that this is how the final version will be. I will be disappointed if they don't hit 1080p though.

You will be disappointed if they don't hit 1080p/60FPS on Xbox One? How many first person shooters do you see doing that?

Game should be going gold in about 2.5/3 months. They're probably spending this last bit of time on polish. Plus this is the new era of games we all know development is going to be continuing while the discs are being printed for maybe launch day or launch night patches.

Jumper, what do the images above suggest? 832x1080 is game resolution?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Uhm this screenshots from the Different Resolutions are from MAY. Its in the last Episode of The Sprint. So it isnt that old.

dynamicr6vu5b.png

This is spotted in a Halo ViDoc or something? That's pretty hilarious.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Why is it hilarious?

That the video includes some crude napkin-scribbles like this, when they (to my knowledge) never outright stated what the final resolution of the game will be.

I don't know why I think it's funny, perhaps I always felt like the resolution of games these days is a hot topic for discussion. I like that it's there. Just shows that they are working hard and not tapdancing around the fact that it might be dynamic or 900p or whatever.

krang

It's only hilarious if you think that it's genuinely important, and think that having everyone know what performance enhancing techniques is used is some sort of scandal.

It's really not.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's only hilarious if you think that it's genuinely important, and think that having everyone know what performance enhancing techniques is used is some sort of scandal.

It's really not.

Don't put words in my mouth. It's no scandal, I don't think many really expected this to run at a flawless 1080p/60.
But for all the tip-toeing game developers have done around the hot-topic resolution issue this generation, it's funny to me that they are just leaving that little nugget in a ViDoc. Disagree if you want.

evilalien

That just sounds ridiculous. Why would it fluctuate THAT much? It's going to look worse than Halo 4 and 2 Anniversary by a large margin.

That's the minimum for multiplayer when it is running at 60 fps. They obviously felt that maintaining framerate was more important than resolution. The minimum resolution for when it is running at 30 fps is of course a bit higher (832x1080).

dynamicr6vu5b.png

well that is interesting. It makes you wonder what exactly this game will be running at most of the time resolution wise if they were putting it against 720p in this comparison...

dan2026

I dont own an XB1 and I dont like Halo but bravo for them sticking to their guns and prioritising 60fps over all.

Framerate>>>>>Graphics always.

Shin-Ra

These promo videos showing major studio interiors and debug footage are checked over with a fine toothcomb. 343i must've wanted this out in the open.

So we go from 832x810 to 1920x810

*In a pre-release build from weeks/months ago for a game still in development

832x810... What��
Well I don't agree with the decision. That amount of upscaling just sounds awful. Having 60fps means shit all when everything is a pixelated mess and you can't see what's happening 30 feet in front of you. The beta looked AWFUL.

I dunno. Will wait for 343i to release official details before complaining too much, I suppose.

Dynamic resolution scaling works to maintain the 60 fps lock, rather than go for a screen-tear or lose that framerate temporarily.

Basically, say the game runs at 1920x1080@60fps in ideal circumstances, the engine is able to scale down the vertical or horizontal resolution for a few frames out of 60 (per second) in order to maintain smoothness. It's not like the game is running like that always or even the full 60 frames in a second - no one knows. (In a single second, that is, 60 frames, it could run at 960x1080 for 5 frames, 830x816 for 20 frames, 1920x1080 for 10 frames, etc.) Even then, this is pre-release stuff that hasn't gone through polish. They're showing debug screens of a game still in development and as such, EVERYTHING in the video should be taken with a grain of salt. We will see what it looks like and how it runs upon release Oct 27th. Nothing here is final.

Hoo-doo

Banned
These promo videos showing major studio interiors and debug footage are checked over with a fine toothcomb. 343i must've wanted this out in the open.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

They are really not going to chance it by accidentally revealing a major plotpoint or ending spoiler because it's scribbled on a whiteboard in the background or shown in a concept image laying on a desk somewhere.
So yeah, they probably want people to know. Smart.

Omni

That's the minimum for multiplayer when it is running at 60 fps. They obviously felt that maintaining framerate was more important than resolution. The minimum resolution for when it is running at 30 fps is of course a bit higher (832x1080).
Well I don't agree with the decision. That amount of upscaling just sounds awful. Having 60fps means shit all when everything is a pixelated mess and you can't see what's happening 30 feet in front of you. The beta looked AWFUL.

I dunno. Will wait for 343i to release official details before complaining too much, I suppose.

Oppo

Some of you people need to stop. Halo 5 should be played in 60fps end of story!

many people have articulated why this is not necessarily the case despite the deluge of foot stomping posts like this. nib95 had a good post a few pages back with reasoning and he just got a giant pile of "no." And other super dumb answers. don't be defensive, it's a tech thread, that's the point.

or at least be honest and just post "leave Halo alone!!!"

hesido

Again, every game should employ this instead of dropping frames (either 30fps or 60fps), but I guess DF needs to churn out a separate chart depicting how much time is spent at what resolution (total number of pixels), but I don't know automating the pixel counting process is possible or not.

evilalien

Why don't they keep full 1080 height and just scale horizontally? Isn't that better?

They would have to have a horizontal res of ~624 to maintain the same number of pixels as 832x810 if they stuck with 1080 vertical res. Scaling in one direction generally looks better, but not when you have to scale that much. They probably thought that 832x810 looked better than 624x1080. They do maintain a minimum of 832x1080 when the game is running at 30 fps judging by the screens in the OP.

rrc1594

many people have articulated why this is not necessarily the case despite the deluge of foot stomping posts like this. nib95 had a good post a few pages back with reasoning and he just got a giant pile of "no." And other super dumb answers. don't be defensive, it's a tech thread, that's the point.

I'm not being defensive of Halo, I just can't imagine anyone who has played MMC or Halo 5 beta will tell you 30fps is okay. Is Halo a twitch shooter no, but speed and movement is very important in Halo. Why you think there was a big fuss about ADS, because many feel it slows the pace down. Halo is at it's best when it's run n' gun, 60fps allows Halo to be very smooth. That's why it's silly for anyone to say they rather have 30fps in Halo. It's silly say that in any shooter TBH.

Do you srsly believe that this will change? Cmon buddy...

Will be funny when everything will be same in the final release, but sure its always the "its not finished" excuse i hear....

What are you even on about? Excuse? I don't even...?

What I'm saying is it's pointless to look at a clear development debug build of a game and extrapolate... pretty much anything final from it. It's a common technique to scale resolution while in development in order to test gameplay before a "polish phase". It ensures the game will maintain a target fps before optimization (even though dynamic scaling is a form of optimization itself).

Personally, I will srsly not be disappointed if it turns out the game is "dynamically" scaling resolution in favour of framerate. That's the right call, in my opinion more devs should opt for this in favour of smooth gameplay if they can't maintain a locked fps otherwise. Why do you insist on twisting this as if it's some sort of negative thing? They promised 60fps - dynamic res scaling (if it even does that in final) is all good in my books to maintain that smooth gameplay in the end.

jem0208

You mean this post?
Agreed. I know a lot of people think otherwise, but Halo does not, and has not ever needed 60fps. It's not a twitch shooter, in fact it's focus is slightly slower paced, sandboxy, epic goodness. Those massive battles, vehicles, all out wars, crazy vista's, epic interiors etc, all would be better served by going 30fps.

In any case, if they have settled on it, a dynamic resolution to ensure it stays at a fairly consistent 60fps is welcome. Though I don't see why they can't just lock the resolution for consistencies sake (900p would be sufficient). If the frame rate is wonky, not consistent at 60fps (Eg Titanfall), it'd be tragic lol. Not because I'd care much about the drops, but because it'd bother me that they didn't just go 30fps instead.

The reason it received a "giant pile of no" is because it's just false. The focus of Halo's multiplayer is most certainly not massive, epic battles; BTB has always been the far more casual side of Halo. The 'hardcore' Halo players are all about 4v4 competitive Arena. Which most certainly has fast paced "twitchy" elements. It's not a twitch shooter (more of an Arena hybrid) however it benefits massively from 60fps.

Compare the games in the MCC with their 360 counterparts and you'll see why almost every Halo fan is clamouring for 60fps. The smoothness it brings makes it extremely difficult to go back to the older versions.

Will be funny when everything will be same in the final release, but sure its always the "its not finished" excuse i hear....

Are you seriously still peddling this rubbish? People have told you time and time again that games get polished up towards the end of their dev cycle, the resolution is an aspect which is constantly subject to change. People have given you multiple examples and you just ignore them.

Kinsella

Banned

Nice attempt to dismiss other people's opinions by intimating they're being babies. "Super dumb" indeed.

evilalien

I am pretty confident that the dynamic resolution scaling will still be in place when this game launches. What they can still do in the time they have before launch is optimize the game to make sure that resolution drops happen as infrequently as possible. I consider this a good solution to the framerate problem, and as long as the game isn't sitting on the minimum resolution constantly, I will be happy.

Again, every game should employ this instead of dropping frames (either 30fps or 60fps), but I guess DF needs to churn out a separate chart depicting how much time is spent at what resolution (total number of pixels), but I don't know automating the pixel counting process is possible or not.

Agreed. It's a much more elegant solution than frame drops or loading fractions of a frame at a time (tearing).

ps3ud0

I personally think having a dynamic res based off 1080p is a good idea, hell even with games that are say 99% 1080p it wouldnt be such a bad idea to have them have a renderer that can dynamically shift for such rare moments (well maybe not 99% but you understand my reasoning).

When it comes to MS and the XO, maybe this approach should be a requirement for most games.

I understand some concern that it might make some devs not go the whole hog to hit 1080p proper, but I hope thats just an ill-found one. I really dont care about the marketing plus that surrounds this.

Perhaps some kind of indication of the extremes (because analogous 720p is still way too low) and medial points (a box plot would be awesome :p) of the resolution changes would be a nice to understand when it comes to specific games

ps3ud0 8)

I would be cool with it, if that stuff would be only in campaign, but its happening in MP too. While playing.

And you must be blind when you dont notice the switch in resolutions while playing.

rrc1594

You mean this post?

The reason it received a "giant pile of no" is because it's just false. The focus of Halo's multiplayer is most certainly not massive, epic battles; BTB has always been the far more casual side of Halo. The 'hardcore' Halo players are all about 4v4 competitive Arena, which most certainly has fast paced "twitchy" elements. It's not a twitch shooter (more of an Arena hybrid) however it benefits massively from 60fps.

Compare the games in the MCC with their 360 counterparts and you'll see why almost every Halo fan is clamouring for 60fps. The smoothness it brings makes it extremely difficult to go back to the older versions.

Are you seriously still peddling this rubbish? People have told you time and time again that games get polished up towards the end of their dev cycle, the resolution is an aspect which is constantly subject to change. People have given you multiple examples and you just ignore them.

All of this and a bag of skittles. That's why people made a fuss over ADS, many people feel it slows the pace down

Detective

Wouldn't be better if they settled for 30fps for campaign and 60 for MP?

I mean a resolution under 900p this Gen is really disappointed IMO.

Am all for Gameplay> Graphics but come on, There is a limit for that too.

Of course, All of this is just a speculation and nothing is confirmed yet, but that's my opinion of it if its the real deal though..sucks..

Congratulations, you will be the first ever person I put on the ignore list. In every halo and gears thread you do this.

On topic. I'm far from an expert so is the dynamic resolution better than say, 900p?

And you must be blind when you dont notice the switch in resolutions while playing.

To notice a single frame out of 60 per second rendering at a different resolution? Okay. We will see.

Compared to a screen tear, or a drop to sub 60, I'm way more in favour of this solution.

Top Bottom