• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014: $399 Xbox Ones "Flying Off The Shelves" at GameStop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biker19

Banned
Guys, remember that this wasn't really a price drop. It was an unbundling of products to achieve a lower base price point.

For many, the XB1 is simply a weaker PS4. Kinect was the primary differentiator between the two, and many of those that chose an XB1 over a PS4 did so for it. For those consumers, this "price drop" does not impact their decision at all, as the product they're interested in remains $499. For everyone else, the new $399 SKU is still just a weaker PS4.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a real price drop going into the holidays.

I agree. Why buy a Xbox One at $400 when you can get the PS4 at the same price tag? The console with more superior hardware?

Without the Kinect, there really is no purpose for consumers to get one, unless it's for exclusives of Microsoft's, of course.

Rhindle

Really? Even with that $100 price drop and that Halo collection announcement?
The "price drop" was too little, too late. The public perception is that it is an inferior weaker console. That's not going to change anytime soon.

Microsoft needs to significantly underprice the PS4 to have a shot at parity. They have not come through.

Guys, remember that this wasn't really a price drop. It was an unbundling of products to achieve a lower base price point.

For many, the XB1 is simply a weaker PS4. Kinect was the primary differantiator between the two, and many of those that chose an XB1 over a PS4 did so for it. For those consumers, this "price drop" does not impact their decision at all, as the product they're interested in remains $499. For everyone else, the new $399 SKU is still just a weaker PS4.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a real price drop going into the holidays.

$299 Kinectless, $399 Kinect? I think at that price point they could definitely turn things around. It'd be enough to make a reaction from Sony necessary, in my opinion.

I agree. Why buy a Xbox One at $400 when you can get the PS4 at the same price tag? The console with more superior hardware?

Without the Kinect, there really is no purpose for consumers to get one.
you buy it for their exclusives and if they prefer the controller.

hwy_61

Banned
It's not like the games on both systems are 100% the same though.

Yep. And this is where Microsoft has a lot more opportunities to make the Xbox One a much more attractive console. If they're smart, they'd push all those great indies they showed during the press conference. A game like cuphead, for example, can get a lot of attention. Not to mention sunset overdrive, which also looks awesome.

Hawk269

Joke post?

Perhaps some people like the games that offered on the Xbox platform? Perhaps some like Live more than PSN? I can think of a lot of reasons. Don't know what else to say about your post other than it is very questionable at what your attempting to do.

lem0n

I did just that. But I ended up trading it in for an Xbox. Better hardware =/= better system. I'm an Xbox guy though so I'm biased towards the exclusives. That and E3 was great this year for MS.

watership

The "price drop" was too little, too late. The public perception is that it is an inferior weaker console. That's not going to change anytime soon.

Microsoft needs to significantly underprice the PS4 to have a shot at parity. They have not come through.

Edit: I should read what i respond too.

You're right perception out there is that the Xbox One is somehow in Wii U power territory. Casuals seem to believe this.

It's not like the games on both systems are 100% the same though.

Oh, of course. But I think the lion's share of consumers aren't particularly swayed by the handful of exclusives released, much like how the 360 thrashed the ps3 in the US even in years when the ps3 had a much more robust exclusive library.

I think the new SKU will tip the needle some, at least for a time, but long term they're going to have to undercut Sony on price if they have any interest in nearing Sony's marketshare in the US.

Biker19

Banned
Joke post?

Perhaps some people like the games that offered on the Xbox platform? Perhaps some like Live more than PSN? I can think of a lot of reasons. Don't know what else to say about your post other than it is very questionable at what your attempting to do.

I edited my post a bit while ago to include Microsoft's exclusives. Look back.

And no drama, please.

Joke post?

I think the post was leaning more towards the idea that the $100 price difference wasn't the only reason PS4 was outselling X1, and that without the hardware differentiation it makes comparing them much easier in the PS4's favor due to power.

People that want Halo will buy Xbox regardless of Kinect or not.

Console gets better every month. Games with Gold helps. I just started playing Max and it's a really cool little game. I think folks are loading up on PS4's now (rightfully so after we all got Mattricked) and serious gamers will undoubtedly pick up an XBOX one at some point too. I couldn't wait so I got both right away. The system just needs one runaway hit to get into the mainstreams subconscious - I'm curious to see if Halo will do it or if it will be piecemeal pickups one game at a time: Forza Horizon II, Halo, Sunset OD, QB, Crackdown, GOW, etc. with each game bringing on some gamers.

I don't care who wins but I def want XBOX to do well to have a healthy community and for the developers to make good money.

Without the Kinect, there really is no purpose for consumers to get one, unless it's for exclusives of Microsoft's, of course.

Why did people buy a PS3 then?

For games.

Yoda

Said kind of statements are usually nothing more than PR. Wait for NPD if you want to know if X1 got a bump from E3.

For games.

But that's the point, even with all those games the 360 still dominated in NA, often times outselling the PS3 2-1. No amount of exclusives helped.

Back in Sept. the PS3 broke the 360's streak, but not because of any exclusives.It did so because of the GTA bundle.

You get it?

Halo, Crackdown, Scalebound, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizons 2, Phantom Dust, Quantum Break etc. lots of reasons to get get an Xbox One... this year. 2015 and beyond look great for both consoles. Also not everyone is dedicated to some ridiculous console war like you apparently are.

Biker19

Banned
Halo, Crackdown, Scalebound, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizons 2, Phantom Dust, Quantum Break etc. lots of reasons to get get an Xbox One... this year. 2015 and beyond look great for both consoles. Also not everyone is dedicated to some ridiculous console war like you apparently are.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, start any damn drama. People will always have opinions, regardless.

Kssio_Aug

Console gets better every month. Games with Gold helps. I just started playing Max and it's a really cool little game. I think folks are loading up on PS4's now (rightfully so after we all got Mattricked) and serious gamers will undoubtedly pick up an XBOX one at some point too. I couldn't wait so I got both right away. The system just needs one runaway hit to get into the mainstreams subconscious - I'm curious to see if Halo will do it or if it will be piecemeal pickups one game at a time: Forza Horizon II, Halo, Sunset OD, QB, Crackdown, GOW, etc. with each game bringing on some gamers.

I don't care who wins but I def want XBOX to do well to have a healthy community and for the developers to make good money.

I make your words mine!.

Exclusives sway some people, but neither console has them in a volume large enough to over come other factors like price, hardware, etc. for the majority of consumers.

Metfanant

For games.

There were many reasons to buy a PS3..but a couple of the big ones that are not just "the games"

- it actually had the stronger hardware
- even at launch for $600 it was an INSANE value for the hardware in the box...remember that stand alone Sony Bluray players were selling for around $900-$1000 at the time...the PS3 was BY FAR the cheapest way to get yourself a ticket to the Bluray party..and was the only Bluray player at the time that was able to continually be updated to the newer profiles

Not interested in getting caught up in a list war...and everyone has their own opinions...but your post doesn't exactly read like a list of reasons to get an Xbone NOW...2015? Yes...but now?...idk...

It's probably not going to sway many PS4 owners to drop another $500+ (after games, controllers, online fees etc)...and idk if it's enough to get people to chose the Xbone over the PS4 at the same price when multiplats are better there...

i expect xbox one to take june.last npd was closer than expected despite the price difference.

Everyone expect Xbox to take march and they didn't. If TitanFall didn't win them a month, with numerous bundles basically putting the system at 399 WITH KINECT! Just a new sku isn't going to win the month

Cru

What are you talking about?

Lemondish

I did just that. But I ended up trading it in for an Xbox. Better hardware =/= better system. I'm an Xbox guy though so I'm biased towards the exclusives. That and E3 was great this year for MS.

For MS fans, sure. Sunset Overdrive was the only thing that appealed to me, a PlayStation gamer. The rest were a bunch of old Xbox franchises I never played.

At $399 without the one thing that made the product unique, I still don't see it as worth it compared to the PS4 unless you're really attached to those franchises. The first for DLC tactic seems like a nice move to attempt to add value to the technically inferior third party titles. Feels like a thank you to the current MS faithful more than an attempt to sway potential buyers or current owners of the other machine.

I'll be watching with interest, though. I may not have played these old Xbox properties, but if they turn out awesome I may be swayed. Just have to wait until mid 2015 to see, though.

Klocker

Edit: I should read what i respond too.

You're right perception out there is that the Xbox One is somehow in Wii U power territory. Casuals seem to believe this.

That's crazy. All they need to do is look at the games... you can hardly tell unless you are looking for it and /or told about it or are hardcore and A/B switch them

Hawk269

I edited my post a bit while ago to include Microsoft's exclusives. Look back.

And no drama, please.

Prior to your edit and reading your post as is, that is exactly what you were trying to create. But good that you edited your post because it was pretty fan boyish without the edit.

Biker19

Banned
Maybe what I posted was a bad idea, as I seem to have offended some posters. I was only just agreeing with what makingmusic476 (along with some others) are saying in terms of Xbox One & PS4 being at the same price as each other. That's all it is.

Personally I'm still hesitant to predict a winner for June. A month or two ago I would've sworn a $399 SKU announcement would've won MS at least a month's victory NPD-wise but I'm not certain anymore. Considering they likely moved some sales of XB1 from May into June by announcing the Kinectless SKU available on June 9th early in May, I would've thought it be easy to pick a winner but I'm still unsure.

I top all of your Xbox Amazon numbers
In Germany

Kinect Xbox one = place 315
Xbox one without Kinect = place 294

image.php

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, start any damn drama. People will always have opinions, regardless.

Kind of seems like your post started the drama, no? Let's be real, you know what you were doing...

There are reasons beyond the exclusives to own an XB1, but I don't particularly want to turn this thread into that. The XB1 does have a perception issue, though, you're right about that.

BigDug13

For games.

Yeah and Sony went from domination and complete worldwide mindsharewith PS2 to barely pulling second place this past gen with PS3 because of it.

There are people who will buy a system for exclusives, but that number is really not the main bulk of console buyers.

leehom

If stores couldn't sell out when the Xbone with Kinect was $399 for a couple of weeks, I don't see how this is going to make a big impact.

Hawk269

Maybe what I posted was a bad idea, as I seem to have offended some posters. I was only just agreeing with what makingmusic476 (along with some others) are saying in terms of Xbox One & PS4 being at the same price as each other. That's all it is.

It is all good man. You just have to realize that your original post was basically telling all the millions of people that bought the Xbox One and any new owners that there is no reason why anyone should buy one instead of a PS4. It was pretty fan boyish and troll/bait type of post.

But you edited your post and you followed it up, so in my book when people do that, it is a good thing.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
There have been better deals in the past, especially if you sold off the Kinect.
The people who waited for this must be bad at math.

Stormy

I actually traded in my ps4 and my copy of black flag for a wii u today. The Zelda announcement got to me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Of course it'll get a boost - from the price cut, from demand held over from may with people waiting for the cut, and now from a good conference.

The big question will be - how big is the boost, and how long will it last? If it gives them an uptick that hangs on until the fall, that would be good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom