• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014: $399 Xbox Ones "Flying Off The Shelves" at GameStop

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMfvD2q.jpg

statham

Xbox selling is all good news, good for the industry. You can wait for NPD, but atleast gamestop seems happy.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Even scarier, realize that May's NPDs is going to be a reflection of people waiting a full month for the $399 bundle.

So however bad it was going to be with the $499 model, subtract the sales of people that decided to wait for the $399 bundle.
That will be interesting.

It's no where near the 360 gap in America. Xbox 360 was at around 3 million sold in America before the PS3 launched according to NPD. The extra year helped the 360 establish its online userbase and gaming library which made people be attracted to the system more (outside of its cheaper price).

Both the PS4 and Xbox One should do well in America during the Xmas season and I really can't see the gap in America being as big as the PS3 vs. Xbox 360 gap was in America... At least not enough to make one console be known as the "more of my friends play online on this console" in the same fashion as the 360. Both services have large userbases.

I agree, the gap won't be as large this gen as it was last gen (last gen it was almost 2 to 1 I think), but it will still be significant. That is made worse since NA is the only strong territory for MS. Outside of US/UK, it's dead everywhere else. So if there's a biggish gap in NA, the WW gap will be rather large.

isnt crackdown 2016?

According to ntkrl, yea. I don't think MS has given a date for any of the CGI trio

Last gen's totals were an anomaly for Nintendo. GameCube and Wii-U are more comparable, being a second console for hardcore gamers and hardcore Nintendo fans. Wii was this weird "your grandma wants to bowl" system and they've pretty much abandoned waggle and that audience.

I see them doing similar numbers as the GameCube overall.

I think they can do better. Maybe 40mil.

Dominator

Well that's something. Did that one system "fly off the shelf"?
Not really. I had to convince the guy to buy it, even after he had $100 down on the pre-order.

wtf? Wasn't there pre-orders available for this for like a month and a half? How the hell did you sell just one with the pent up demand.
There were, we had 2 pre-orders. The other one hasn't been picked up yet and who knows if it will. Its only been 2 days though.

How many did you sell before today, during the month of May?
That I do not know. I know that we had about 5 of the Kinect bundle in early May and we only have 1 left so some simple math would lead me to believe only 4.

USC-fan

Banned
I would be shocked if this really sold well when you could have forza or titanfall with kinect for $400-$450 recently.

$399 with no games doesn't seem like a good deal.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Pretty sure they will beat the PS4 at least for a month. Sony doesn't have a new SKU to drive additional interest.

If not, well, MS will just be relegated to second place worldwide.

Sony doesn't need a new SKU to drive additional interest, apparently.

Metfanant

I can't even believe I'm typing this because for months I've been saying Ms needs to drop Kinect and get the price under $400...but the $399 Kinectless bundle makes me want the console even less...I'm now feeling like Kinect was what made the Xbone what it is...it's never going to win a horsepower war with the PS4...multiplats are always going to look better on the PS4...but at least Kinect added some sort of differentiation to the package...

Crap...lol

AmyS

This is good news (PS4 owner here) and if NPD shows Xbox One sales are really good through the summer going into fall, all I can say is: competition is good, very good. We all benefit from it at the end of the day.

Wow, I just checked. Sitting at #92 just above Wii Sports Club U and behind Sniper Elite III for PS4? Do people know the price dropped?

ib1NCM8n8b1oiT.png
Holy shit, that's brutal. I'm genuinely surprised, I thought the price drop would make a huge difference. I guess it could just be due to lack of awareness.

EDIT: It's #42 in the US videogame best sellers. That's still awful compared to the PS4 being at 8.

Bgamer90

Banned
It's not even in the top 20 selling items on Gamestop.com. http://www.gamestop.com/browse/StoreSearch

XONE was, and continues to be, in serious trouble.

Seems to be rated higher than the PS4, with the PS3 and 360 rated higher than both the PS4 and Xbox One. Guess the PS4 and Xbox One will be selling under 100k this upcoming NPD (heh).

What happens if June NPD hits and PS4 still outsells X1? GAF meltdown?

I think it's expected... As long as the system gets a boost and continues on doing solid in NPD into the Xmas season due to the new $400 SKU then I don't really see why it matters much.

Conan819

Banned
I can't even believe I'm typing this because for months I've been saying Ms needs to drop Kinect and get the price under $400...but the $399 Kinectless bundle makes me want the console even less...I'm now feeling like Kinect was what made the Xbone what it is...it's never going to win a horsepower war with the PS4...multiplats are always going to look better on the PS4...but at least Kinect added some sort of differentiation to the package...

Crap...lol

Games are what make a system, that's always been the case. I'm glad they seem to be shifting the focus in that direction.

ypo

Lol You know it's bullshit PR when they used "still very vibrant" to describe the abysmal $499 xbone sales..

Kssio_Aug

Well deserved!! Microsoft conference was a blast, and tons of good and interesting games will be arriving now! Well done!
Edit: Well, nevermind. It looks, by these Amazon numbers, that its still doing pretty bad! What is trully sad, because it deserves to sell very well now, its a very nice console. I hope people realize that soon.

Guys, remember that this wasn't really a price drop. It was an unbundling of products to achieve a lower base price point.

For many, the XB1 is simply a weaker PS4. Kinect was the primary differantiator between the two, and many of those that chose an XB1 over a PS4 did so for it. For those consumers, this "price drop" does not impact their decision at all, as the product they're interested in remains $499. For everyone else, the new $399 SKU is still just a weaker PS4.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a real price drop going into the holidays.

Bgamer90

Banned
Guys, remember that this wasn't really a price drop. It was an unbundling of products to achieve a lower base price point.

For many, the XB1 is simply a weaker PS4. Kinect was the primary differantiator between the two, and many of those that chose an XB1 over a PS4 did so for it. For those consumers, this "price drop" does not impact their decision at all, as the product they're interested in remains $499. For everyone else, the new $399 SKU is still just a weaker PS4.

It's not like the games on both systems are 100% the same though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom