• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Titanfall sold 7 million, expecting 9-10 million for Titanfall 2, 15M for BF1

EGM1966

So if we assume that 7m figure is boosted by EA Access and deep discount copies, how can they be so confident of 10m for the sequel? :/

Ah I see, thanks :)

For one thing it'll be launching to the PS4's much larger install base this time around. For another this time it seems they'll be delivering a finished game with extensive content instead of a bare minimum MP only title.

The core game was good mechanically and the brand image is solid enough. It just launched at too high a price for the content level and saw steep early discounting and it skipped PS4 first time around which was a mistake albeit one that seemed unavoidable due to how development and funding played out.

If they market it well and the game is solid it should easily manage 10 million across PC and PS4 and XB1 install base LTD (how much of that 10 million is reduced price or next to nothing will depending on the quality of the final game and the content level of course).

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm really looking forward to TF2, of the 3 big shooters I'm fairly certain it will have the best campaign by some distance.

Still think they should release in March though.

Bluth54

AHA-Lambda

For one thing it'll be launching to the PS4's much larger install base this time around. For another this time it seems they'll be delivering a finished game with extensive content instead of a bare minimum MP only title.

The core game was good mechanically and the brand image is solid enough. It just launched at too high a price for the content level and saw steep early discounting and it skipped PS4 first time around which was a mistake albeit one that seemed unavoidable due to how development and funding played out.

If they market it well and the game is solid it should easily manage 10 million across PC and PS4 and XB1 install base LTD (how much of that 10 million is reduced price or next to nothing will depending on the quality of the final game and the content level of course).

Yeah, seems a lot will be running on the ps4's performance

I just wonder if the original skipping ps4 and it being released next to BF1 (seriously EA, why?) will hurt its legs :/
Just need to wait and see

Fishook

I think they are living in cloud cuckoo land with these sales figures. BF1 seems quite good, I just thing the period is completely wrong for the modern gamer, most players will have bolt-action rifles, and not machine guns. I can really see how unlockable's will work. Unless it has decent single player mode it will struggle.

Titanfall will be a average title, I suppose the masses just lap up any old stuff as long as its advertised, I wont be touching them unless BF1 has a 12 hour plus campaign as EA over charge for there stuff, I got burnt by SW:Battlefront. They need to get rid of the unlockables IMO but I understand why others want all that rubbish I just want something to have a quick blast every so often and not feel uselsss because I haven't got the time to grind for enhancements.

EGM1966

I just wonder if the original skipping ps4 and it being released next to BF1 (seriously EA, why?) will hurt its legs :/
What they've got going for them ironically is the first release had no SP and little to no context. It was pure MP really. With the sequel actually having full SP campaign and sounding a lot more rounded out it seems they can launch it almost as a new IP on PS4 without usual sense you're coming to the IP too late.

I expect their marketing to emphasize this on PS4 side: that you miss nothing if you didn't play TitanFall.

What they've got going for them ironically is the first release had no SP and little to no context. It was pure MP really. With the sequel actually having full SP campaign and sounding a lot more rounded out it seems they can launch it almost as a new IP on PS4 without usual sense you're coming to the IP too late.

I expect their marketing to emphasize this on PS4 side: that you miss nothing if you didn't play TitanFall.

have you seen TitanFall (again)

Titanfall is by far my absolute favorite game of this gen. I got it a launch on PC and again later on X1 (well, it was really cheap by then).

7 million, even if 5 million was at $10, is still a decent seller. It wasn't a massive team by most accounts and so it probably did quite well for a new IP (It could have done better, but new MP only IP is a hard sell in the AAA space)

I still think EA are being total idiots with regards to the release dates of TF2 and BF1.

mocoworm

If they sold 7m on XONE , surely they will sell more than 10m if it's going multi-platform. I would think this will hit 12-14m easily over it's lifetime. Wonder how they work out their forecasts?

Titanfall is in the top 3 FPS shooters of all time. Cannot wait for this sequel.

Dutchman

Neo Member
Purely anekdotal, but looking at the amount of orders we're getting for Titanfall 2 in the store I work at 9-10mil is a long stretch. BF1 will be fine.

If they sold 7m on XONE , surely they will sell more than 10m if it's going multi-platform. I would think this will hit 12-14m easily over it's lifetime. Wonder how they work out their forecasts?

Titanfall is in the top 3 FPS shooters of all time. Cannot wait for this sequel.

X1, 360 and PC combined, not X1. Has any game sold 5 million on X1 yet?

As for how publishers come up with projections they use this methodology.

1- Look at how the last one sold (if there was a last one)
2- look at how the competition sold
3- add the sales figures from the first game and the competing game
4- snort a giant bag of cocaine off a stripper's ass
5. "we can totally *sniff* outsell CoD even with a lower metacritic."

I'm pretty sure all unmet projections can be explained by cocaine. Apart from Square Enix who, after some bad quarters a few years back, have to make to do with meth.

sounds pretty low for a game that will available on an additional platform compared to its predecessor. Granted, they're up against more established franchises now than before. They really messed up by making the first one exclusive.

isn't it on the same number of platforms as its predecessor, but just replacing 360 with PS4?

Fdkn

yeah that's about people who didn't get caught on the unique users rambling could expect.

I'd estimate at least half of that was on bargain bin pricing because of how fast it dropped but still a great result for a new ip.

Can't say I'm excited for TF2 tho, as I didn't like what I played on that first free weekend promotion on Origin, but the game should be good for those who liked the first.

Titanfall 2 won't sell that much especially considering the time it's dropping. There can only be so many of those games at one. Can't wait for these types of games to decline.
You must be a blast at parties

Those are good numbers, especially for a new IP early in the console cycle (yes I know it was on PC)

Can't wait for Titanfall 2

I don't recall many sticking with the game, sure a lot tried it. Even it's fans said it was the type of game you burn out on quickly.

Certainly has potential to go again although the hype created originally was quite incredible. How many intrigued to check out the first one considering the hype and unanimous pre release feedback who didn't stick around will go back for seconds? Then you have a crowded release window.

No doubt it will be major title though.

Chris1

I don't recall many sticking with the game, sure a lot tried it. Even it's fans said it was the type of game you burn out on quickly.

Certainly has potential to go again although the hype created originally was quite incredible. How many intrigued to check out the first one considering the hype and unanimous pre release feedback who didn't stick around will go back for seconds? Then you have a crowded release window.

No doubt it will be major title though.

To be fair they have a campaign, most likely horde mode (has this been confirmed?) and what looks to be far more content from launch. Add in all the free DLC they will be releasing and it should hold players for longer than the first.

Releasing against CoD is smart IMO, I just don't know about releasing so close to BF1 aswell, I think that should get delayed. But maybe EA has the analysed their stats and realize there's not much of a player overlapse between the two.

10m should be done easy this time around with a bigger install base on xbox, changes I listed above plus there's PS4 now aswell...could even see it reach 11-12M when all is said and done if CoD reviews poorly while Titanfall gets critical praise again.

I can't see all three big shooters hitting 10 million. I think Titanfall 2 is the game most likely to under-perform(based on expectations). I don't think it can compete.

Call Of Duty Infinite Warfare will sale more than Battlefield 1.

Chris1

Titanfall has never been free, although I'm not sure why that would matter anyways if it were true, as that wouldn't be a copy sold?

There has been free game weekends on Origin I think, but that's not copies sold and it stops working after 10 hours or so.

Xater

Are there people still playing it on Xbox One? I almost want to pick it up because I saw it for 5,99.

Chris1

Yeah I edited the free weekend thing in.. that's basically a glorified demo and stops working after 10 hours or whatever, not really free and definitely not counting in these sales.

It's on both Origin and EA Access but that's not free, you have to pay :p Jk, I know what you mean, but I don't think that's included since it's not a sale for Titanfall, it's a "sale" for EA Access.

Both of those things pad the unique players, sure, but not the sales figures I'd have to imagine.

Hip Hop

Titanfall 2 won't sell that much especially considering the time it's dropping. There can only be so many of those games at one. Can't wait for these types of games to decline.
Why would they decline? Multiplayer games or shooters?
And why do give a shit to wait on a "decline" if you're not a fan?

They are not some kind of fad, they are here to stay. These type of titles are staples of video games. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Kill3r7

Not just that, this time it is a fall/holiday release vs a Spring release. I am hoping it does well, loved the first, but I would not be surprised if it is squeezed out by BF1, COD4 and Gears. Ultimately, there is only so much time a FPS junkie can invest in any one of these MP focused games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So if we assume that 7m figure is boosted by EA Access and deep discount copies, how can they be so confident of 10m for the sequel? :/

Most publishers have very extensive forecasting formulas based on pre-orders, social media interest, past performance, market research, and how their various partners (console vendors, retailers) report back to them.

You will notice most major Western publishers don't actually report software underperforming anymore, since by the time the game launches, they have long since adjusted sales projections down to match because they know how it's going to go.

Smaller publishers don't have millions to spend on this so they're surprised more often, but still not as much as once upon a time.

Mind, this is not to say that they meet the projections that were set when a game was first greenlit. That can still be very different.

It was such a great game plagued by some weird decisions. Splitting the player base on a brand new franchise for so long before offering the DLC for free was a bad idea. Also no campaign really soured the game for me and my buddies. Hoping Tf2 is better in that regard.

Dysun

Lofty goal considering the time frame of release. Any other period I think it hits it easily but sandwiched in between BF1 and two CoD's is another story

Kaji AF16

Could it be about 5 million in Xbox One, and 1 million in 360 and PC each? In that case, the attach rate for Xbox One would be enormous.

Revas

The Titanfall slander in this thread.

7 million is good for Titanfall considering what all it offered, regardless as to if the sales came at full price or on sale or if the game was traded in frequently. It's an amazing game with a really high skill ceiling and yes, people still play it.

I think it's completely reasonable that R2 sells 10 million units, seems like Respawn checked enough boxes this time around to satisfy what people expect from a console FPS. They also slowed the game down, which I don't care for but I imagine will make the game a lot more accessible to people accustomed to BF and COD. The tech test needs to be impressive and the game needs to be marketed though.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Could it be about 5 million in Xbox One, and 1 million in 360 and PC each? In that case, the attach rate for Xbox One would be enormous.

No fucking way.

The 360 version sold way better than what many people expect. Not at One level, but it's easy a big contribution of that 7 million.

If i should say my estimate:

XBO < 4m
360 > 2m
PC ~ 1m

WaterAstro

Well they forgot to add in these factors: Titanfall released in March, and there was no Battlefield that year.

With Battlefield 1 releasing right next to Titanfall 2, it's going to be struggles.

Neonep

What do you guys think sells the most?
Titanfall 2
BF1
COD IW
Gears 4

Also does anyone of them hurts the sells of others?

Top Bottom