• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #310 - Destiny 2

Mathieran

Banned
If you're enjoying Hellblade who cares if a magazine disagrees with you?

When Destiny was getting 6 and 7 from most reviews, I wasn't mad or outraged, I was enjoying the shit out of it so I didn't care. I don't get why it bothers people

I think there is a reason to care. People make decisions based on reviews they read, and when someone likes a game, they're worried the game they like will not be successful due to their perception of an unfair review. It's also basic human nature to want other people like the things we like.

After reading the Hellblade review, I disagree with their notions of the story being incomprehensible or the end boss being a cheap trick. Much like an art film, I appreciate the game's largely plotless and more character study approach to storytelling. The best aspect is the amount of self-sabotaging Senua's mental illness does to all moments and perceptions of the world she has.
Her relationship to her father, mother, and her lover Dillion
are explored in detail, so I got what the game's story was going for about accepting grief. The review doesn't explain how the story comes close to parody. Senua's descent was effective for me, much like recent games like Rime, Papo and Yo, Spec Ops: The Line, and Brothers, so I hold it in higher regard despite the repetition and gameplay that this EDGE critic didn't like.

Wamb0wneD

Different reviewers review different games and have more weight in certain areas of each game individually. Come on this isn't a hard notion to understand.

Sprachbrooks spoke of EDGE as an entity in one sentence and then said they aren't anything of that sort and that reviewers have different tastes in his next one, blatantly contradicting himself.

? Some of us like magazines - is it really that hard a notion to understand?

Me too liked magazines but if you have no exclusive stuff to publish I'm afraid the masses have no reason to spend their money on them thanks to the internet and besides, the only reasons I can understand for purchasing them now are nostalgia and/or collecting each release of a specific magazine...

Hell blade a 4.

I don't think I've ever once agreed with a single thing Edge have ever done.

Trend continues.

With that said, 80 missions for Destiny 2 with "substantial length" is that stand alone missions or are they including the patrol missions as well? Either way IF that's true.. if.. that makes me a happy bunny.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Me too liked magazines but if you have no exclusive stuff to publish I'm afraid the masses have no reason to spend their money on them thanks to the internet and besides, the only reasons I can understand for purchasing them now are nostalgia and/or collecting each release of a specific magazine...

There are many fantastic exclusive features in every single issue of Edge. It's right there in the OP.

sheaaaa

Edge have the best features, reviews and retrospectives in the entire fucking industry, is that exclusive enough for you?

Why does Ninja Theory continue to push out subpar gameplay when they're repeatedly bollocked about it?
DMC had great gameplay, so yeah

Actually read a damn Edge before posting and get back to us. Your ignorance is showing

And for the reviewer as well it seems.
That's a grand total of two opinions. Stop pretending it's fact.

So Edge do reward games with shit gameplay then, because different reviewers review different games, ergo his original statement was incorrect. It's not a hard notion to understand.

Sprachbrooks spoke of EDGE as an entity in one sentence and then said they aren't anything of that sort and that reviewers have different tastes in his next one, blatantly contradicting himself.
You guys are not very smart. That or you're being deliberately obtuse and terrible at comprehension. Pick your poison.

border

Hellblade must be terrible. Aren't EDGE usually huge fanboys for UK-developed games? They even gave Heavenly Sword a 6.

j^aws

Don't know why this magazine still gets attention these days. I ditched this magazine in the late 90s after buying every volume since its inception in '93. I slowly realised that I what I was reading was a bunch of wishy-washy, namby-pamby, hoity-toity, lardy-dardy, arty-farty pretentious bollocks. So really, if you enjoy a game, don't give a damn what Edge thinks...

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
I know they don't give bylines on reviews, but curious if the Hellblade reviewer was British.

Top Bottom