• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGX 2015: VR Year!!

I managed to try out PlayStation VR at EGX with a demo of EVE Valkyrie.

I found the headset itself to be surprisingly light, very comfortable and easily adjustable to suit your own eyesight. it's also intuitive to use - looking around the environment was completely natural and convincing with no noticeable lag and no sign of the dreaded VR nausea.

It's often said the key to a successful VR experience is to create "presence" - a sense of actually being there - and this certainly worked for me. Tellingly, as I looked down at my avatar's legs in the cockpit, I felt compelled to move my own legs to match that position. That was weird.

The demo itself was a fairly basic, yet enthralling experience, piloting a small fighter craft amongst a debris field of wrecked space cruisers, while using a combination of guns and missiles you hunt down enemy targets. The difference here is the ability to move your head in any direction to track targets as they move around, and above your ship. Very cool.

I'm fully aware that what I used is not the final consumer version of either the hardware or software. Being objective, there are a couple of minor points I should mention. Firstly, being so close to a screen it's inevitable that the screen's pixels are visible, giving a slight "screendoor" effect. Also, the game itself suffered with some noticeable aliasing. That said, once I was immersed in that world those issues mattered little and, for me, the advantages of playing in VR far outweighed any negatives.

Overall it was an amazing experience and one I am eager to try again. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

The Phil Fish-ish dude (@HYPYRYL) who was walking around with a portable screen and controllers was awesome. We were in the Mirror's Edge queue, and he showed off his game Redshift Blueshift (pong + galaga), nice way to pass the time. He's from Richmond, Virginia, actually has a tiny indie scene now after a few game jams. Sounds like a nice place. He's addicted to karoake, I might have to try it sometime hehe.

uD7p9A.gif

CP6iYm_WgAAbQWs.jpg

dh4niel

I had a pretty good time. Queued for about an hour for Just Cause 3 which turned out to be really fun. Played some indie stuff around the event including the ID@XBOX booth that had barely a queue! Lots of interest in Cuphead though. Gave up on the queue for Halo 5 after just over an hour, which was ridiculous.

Saw a lot of people walking around with Fallout 4 vault boy masks but me an a friend couldn't find them. :(

Sparse

I had a pretty good time. Queued for about an hour for Just Cause 3 which turned out to be really fun. Played some indie stuff around the event including the ID@XBOX booth that had barely a queue! Lots of interest in Cuphead though. Gave up on the queue for Halo 5 after just over an hour, which was ridiculous.

Saw a lot of people walking around with Fallout 4 vault boy masks but me an a friend couldn't find them. :(
At the Microsoft stage, you had to get your photo taken with Vault Boy, and then a rep at the desk next to it would hand out a mask. Spoke to them and it was done in waves.

Flamesword

Neo Member
Hoping everyone enjoyed EGX 2015 this year.

My second time attending following on from last year and overall I have to say it was a much more enjoyable experience than it was going to London and Earls Court last year, hoping it is held here going forwards.

In terms of the event being held in Birmingham, I much preferred it. Not a huge fan of London and found it rather unfriendly and very overpriced. Birmingham was just as easy to travel to and we stayed on Broad Street which had a massive choice of hotels, places to eat and pubs/bars to go to all of which were pretty reasonable price wise. The Rugby World Cup being on meant it was nice and lively too with plenty of different people to talk to over a beer.

Obviously the NEC is out of the city but New Street train station was a ten minute walk and there were regular trains to get there; a lot cheaper than travelling on the tube in London too. Obviously with it being at the NEC travelling by car was a good option for lots of people and there was plenty of parking. £12.00 a day to park but it's cheaper than a lot of city parking and if you are car pooling not much at all.

I found the event overall to be a lot better organised than at Earls Court; queuing to get in was much better (and inside instead of out in a car park) and when the doors opened we got in pretty much straight away instead of having to go through 3 different queues like last time.

The NEC facilities were also a lot better, plenty of places to get food and drinks, bathrooms etc and I didn't think the prices were too bad although we did think ahead a bit and went to Morrison's or Sainsbury's on the morning and grabbed a few things to take along.

We went on Friday and Saturday this time round and I didn't find Friday too bad in terms of queues but Saturday was lot busier what with kids being off school etc. I'll definitely be going on Thursday and Friday next year, a lot of people I spoke to had gone on Thursday and got in to see the most popular stuff, The Division, Star Wars etc pretty quickly on Thursday morning.

We did the same thing and got round the stuff we thought would be busiest first thing Friday, excluding The Division, which was a 4 hour queue and we just skipped. My friend insisted on queuing to see the MP Star Wars stuff on Saturday and spent 4 1/2 hours waiting but to be honest it's not something I'm interest in buying so I left him to it and went off to see the other things I fancied.

It wasn't all positive though and there were a couple of negatives

- I found the way they had organised the VR stuff i.e. by appointment, was pretty disappointing, I didn't see any mention of it until we arrived at the booths, didn't get any emails about it and didn't see it mentioned on Twitter. Might have missed it of course or maybe I should have checked GAF beforehand. My friend did manage to play the Playstation VR after someone hadn't turned up but he thought it was like a bad version of the Occulus Rift we tried last year. All in all I'm not really fussed about any of them, I tried EVE Valkyrie last year and it was pretty good but yet to see anything from any of them (Occulus, HTC, Morpheus) which screams must buy. Kind of hard to raise awareness about your products when only a few dozen out of thousands at an event get to see them, no screens to watch people playing them either.

- The Developer Sessions weren't as good as last year but that was probably because there wasn't anything on from anyone I was interested in seeing so that's half the battle.

- As I mentioned previously queues for some of the AAA titles were too long with no cards up saying an expected wait time, The Division, Star Wars, AC Syndicate, Halo etc. I think in a large part this was down to the developers not bringing enough units with them so that's down to them I guess. The longest queue I was in was about an hour for Tomb Raider and out of all the stuff I wanted to see there was only the The Division which I didn't.

I did manage to get round all of the following though

Star Wars Battlefront (30 minute queue) - Played the co-op wave based mode and it was alright, looked ok but feels like a dumbed down version of BF4 and I don't have any faith in DICE delivering a stable online experience so it's not something I'll be picking up.

Homefront (40 minute queue) - Looked like an Alpha build running on Xbox 360 but was still pretty impressed with it. There were a couple of bugs, again Alpha, but the gunplay was nice and solid, gadgets and crafting was pretty cool and the open map seems interesting, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Warhammer Total War (5 minute queue) - Only the Battle Map was playable rather than the Strategy Map too but looks good. Think they've done a good job recreating the units from the universe, played nice and smoothly and again another one I'll be keeping an eye on.

Rise of the Tomb Raider (70 minute queue) - Looks like a good follow on from last years game which I really enjoyed. Graphics were nice, controlled well and puzzles were pretty good. Will be looking at getting it when it comes out on PC.

Deus Ex (10 minute queue) - Demonstration video from Square Enix with one of their team talking through the video. Again an alpha build but looks like something else I will be picking up. 100% passive game play is possible and there seems to be plenty of new abilities and ways to play with an interesting story.

Hitman (15 minute queue) - Again bit a of a demo video much like Deus Ex so another one I might look at getting.

Rainbow Six Siege (40 minute queue) - Don't think this will be pulling up any trees when it comes to CS GO etc but enjoyed playing it. Plenty of scope for teamwork, tactical gameplay and the shooting through all the cover adds a nice element. They had some teams playing competitions live with a casting team for the queue to watch which I thought was a good idea and would have liked some of the other games to do the same.

Also managed to get round all the stuff on the Indy Booths and Leftfield collections.

Warhammer Vermintide - Really enjoyed playing this and probably the best thing I played. Like Left for Dead but focussed on smashing Skaven in the head with a hammer rather than guns. Co-Op game and the beta is on at the moment.

Riot Civil Unrest - Think this uses a similar engine to Project Zomboid but looks like it could be a fun little game to pick up and go back to. You control a team of Police and deploy them to break up riots, clues in the title really.

Eden Star - Kinda like futuristic Minecraft in full 3D and first person. You use an gravity glove to strip resources from rocks, trees etc and then craft items, bases, weapons. Day Night cycle where it's pretty safe to explore during the day and hostile creatures make things more difficult at night. You can use the glove as a weapon too and throwing creatures into the sky to fall to their death didn't really get old.

Red Solstice - Top down RTS similar to how Baldur's Gate would look but set on Mars with a team of soldiers fighting aliens. There was a tactical mode to slow down time and deploy your team with levelling up to unlock abilities, weapons etc.

Also got round all the merchandise stands which were similar to last year, good selection of stuff and the prices weren't too bad. Nvidia, Asus and some of the uk computer shops all had stands with discounts and you were able to order stuff for delivery.

Careers fair was interesting too. Talked to a couple of universities and staff from Creative Assembly who all seemed really nice.

Seemed like there was a lot more cosplay this time round too including one guy wearing life size Space Marine Power Armour which looked ridiculous.

All in all enjoyed it more than I did last year and will definitely be going again, especially if it isn't in London.

goonergaz

Can't say I agree, I thought the organisation was awful - we paid a premium for express parking £20, they need to look up the word 'express'. Not only did they make us drive the long way around (for what looked like no apparent reason) whilst driving aimlessly (no signage) we passed the normal car park (note-closer to the event) where a member of staff was helping people cross the zebra crossing "where is the express car park 3?" I asked "no idea" was the helpful reply - 100 yards later I arrived at the car park...at the end of the road she was working on. On the zebra crossing she was at was a sign pointing it the car park - yet she had no idea where it was!? Then there was little to no signage from the cark park we just followed the crowds with no idea there were several events on nor a clue as to how big the venue was. Last year we parked up, closer, and walked straight to the entrance - nice and easy.

Also the qs were far worse as far as I can remember, but then last year I went on the Friday so probably not a fair comparison. Nothing seemed overly clear and the way they just 'opened the floodgates' at 10am was simply not a safe way to do things. Last year was a little frustrating but the delays meant you got to go on some things before the qs started building up, then building up slowly after 11 - whereas this year you had bad qs from 10:15ish then at 11 they were horendous.

Rant over and onto some impressions...

So I managed to get to try PSVR yesterday. After missing out on a pre-booking place I thought I'd beg at the stand so they put me on a list with 'no promises' - however to my surprise within half hour I had a text saying there was a space! So I was really excited to get the chane to try it out :)

Initially the setup took a little while, I wear glasses for TV/gaming (don't really need them all the time) but heard the set could be adjusted to compensate. I have to say initial impressions left me a little underwhelmed, I could see the gap by my nose and even tho I was told that could be adjusted it seemed there was no 'sweet spot' that got rid of the light and gave me good focus. In the end I found a compromise and put the issue down to time restraints, overuse of the set (with many different shaped heads!) and being in a lighter room than I would actually be playing in.

So first thing I noticed was the blocky text and thinking to myself "I though this thing was supposed to be 1080p? Why can I see pixels!?" Anyway, not a great start...the demo I was playing was the kitchen tech demo by Capcom.

I have to say after my initial excitement to actually get a place to the dissapointment of the setup I have to say I was really impressed. For some reason I didn't expect a fully 3D experience, I was just expecting a flat 3D world - the graphics were good, maybe not as good as I'd expected due to the weird 'pixel' effect but within a few seconds I was there, in the kitchen, tied to a chair - 'fighting' for my life! It was really surreal, apparently quite entertaining to watch but unfortunately the Mrs didn't record it! Even though this was just a small demo I could see fantastic potential...I hope the price is right because I'm sold!

My daughter got to play the tank game which she also enjoyed, I noticed an Elite type space shooter which looked like it'd be quite good and there was another booth with the Rigs game FWIW.

Other than that it was nice meeting Charles Cecil for a very breif chat and signed comic book...along with getting a few signed Destiny posters for my daughter and son who love the game. It also was nice that when I asked about getting a CoD t-shirt for my 17yo son they said to come back in 90 mins and he would be given one.

I hope to god EGX is at the NEC next year! It's literally 10-15 min car journey or about 30 mins on the bus. I'll go Sat and Sun next year if it's at the NEC. :D

Paganmoon

Just got back home to Sweden after a trip I most likely won't be doing again anytime soon (Gothenburg->London->Liverpool->Birmingham->Liverpool>London->Gothenburg), too much traveling for a long weekend.

Was at EGX on Sunday, got to try AC:Syndicate (shortest AAA line there was), which seemed much better frameratewise than Unity. Not sure about the grapnel hook, almost became Batman, but it does make traversal much easier and enjoyable.

Also got to test PSVR, got the Battlezone demo. Early impressions were that you could see the pixels on the screen ("screendoor effect"), and there were jaggies pretty much everywhere.
As soon as the gameplay itself started, all of that was out of the window, did not notice, or register the screendoor effect, or notice/think about the aliasing. Was really fun. No nausea, even when the tank fell off a small rise (got a bit of vertigo, but settled pretty much instantly). Not sure how I would've felt if the demo was longer though (with regards to nausea). Didn't time it but it felt like it couldn't have been longer than 5 minutes (maybe 10?).
But I can really seem myself playing this game a lot, felt like I was inside Tron's world, and I can see them adding lightcycle races and what not to the mix.

Got to meet TrebuchetGames and see Dead of Day as well. Seemed really interesting, can see myself spending quite some time with the game when it releases, Best of luck on Steam Greenlight next week, and your current kickstarter (you didn't mention it at the booth though).
Also grats on becoming a member, I see you just got over 300 posts so you weren't that far off then :)

Spookie

Just got back home to Sweden after a trip I most likely won't be doing again anytime soon (Gothenburg->London->Liverpool->Birmingham->Liverpool>London->Gothenburg), too much traveling for a long weekend.

No idea why you did that trip, you could get plenty of London-Midland trains straight to Euston (London) from Birmingham.

God why would you come to Liverpool? D:

EpicBox

Did anyone else turn on Doge Mode in the options menu of Just Cause 3?

Must explosion
Many shoot
Wow

Brilliant addition.

Another thing I have to say about Mirror's Edge Catalyst is that the enemy AI sucks. They keep trying to shoot you even when you get up close. I saw some players fumbling with the controls and when they did actually look at the enemy, the guy was stood with his gun pointing in the wrong direction when the player was less than a metre away.

Another thing I have to say about Mirror's Edge Catalyst is that the enemy AI sucks. They keep trying to shoot you even when you get up close. I saw some players fumbling with the controls and when they did actually look at the enemy, the guy was stood with his gun pointing in the wrong direction when the player was less than a metre away.
I did not notice this, as the combat side mission was so short and quick, but I'm almost glad the AI is worse than the first game where they were so lethal that it'd just be frustrating.

Paganmoon

No idea why you did that trip, you could get plenty of London-Midland trains straight to Euston (London) from Birmingham.

God why would you come to Liverpool? D:

My friend is a Liverpool FC nut, so we were in Liverpool on Saturday for the game against Aston Villa, so that many changes wasn't in one day fortunately, still was way too much traveling for a weekend.

cabot

Hello,

I went this year. I'd been to Rezzed the last two years, made the switch to EGX because I really don't want to go to London (went for Wimbledon last year and it was nice but expensive)

Points I'll mention:

- I liked the NEC as a venue before, still do. EGX was much, much bigger than Rezzed. It was suited to it. Birmingham is so easy to travel to from Glasgow as well.
- Didn't like the Rezzed sessions being out in the open, went to the Tango Fiesta launch and it was quite hard to concentrate with the rabble around. I hope they fix this
- Wasted money at the after parties on Friday/Saturday. Me and my friends were the only ones actually standing and trying to dance, then about 10 minutes later some guy asked me to sit down so he can see the stage. A stage where some silly meta app game was being played. It was exactly how you'd think a night out with stereotypical 'gamers' would go. Frustrating.
- The queues were pretty ridiculous, and some games having like 5 units was shit. Mirror's Edge? Also damn a lot of people wanted to play Garden Warfare 2
- The normal sessions were kind of weak, though the Prison Architect launch was worth it, and we got a sweet hardcover art book as swag. Also laughed at Elite not taking questions, I imagine it's due to horizon's pretty shitty deal for loyal players.
- Deus Ex and Hitman both hands off? Annoying, both demoes looked good though.
- The board game section still rules.
- I liked the cosplay stuff too, and the Chaos Space Marine walking around on saturday was the best.
- I liked Rezzed a bit more because it focused more on the backend and development. The indie stuff was still there at EGX, but I felt i missed a lot of that other stuff.
- Felt the PS, Xbox and Ninty booths kind of locked out a few exclusive demo games due to the structure of the booths, hope it's not as closed next year.

I'll go back, maybe try to stay in the city as opposed to on the outside to get a bit of that fun city night life.

AHA-Lambda

Wasted money at the after parties on Friday/Saturday. Me and my friends were the only ones actually standing and trying to dance, then about 10 minutes later some guy asked me to sit down so he can see the stage. A stage where some silly meta app game was being played. It was exactly how you'd think a night out with stereotypical 'gamers' would go. Frustrating.

I never went but someone I talked to in the Mirror's Edge queue said this too. Funny how conventions like this really can cement stereotypes.

Got to meet TrebuchetGames and see Dead of Day as well. Seemed really interesting, can see myself spending quite some time with the game when it releases, Best of luck on Steam Greenlight next week, and your current kickstarter (you didn't mention it at the booth though).
Also grats on becoming a member, I see you just got over 300 posts so you weren't that far off then :)

It was awesome meeting you :) - thanks for the kind words - it really helps motivate... it was also nice to finally meet a NeoGaf user!!

Yeah, funny that we talked about being a neogaf member and it finally happened... hah!

Bumhead

Banned
Well that explains the queues.

Guess I'm in the 10%. Too much shit went wrong this year.

It's alright boasting about attendance numbers rising if they're prepared to back that up with a bigger space, more units per game and/or more games available.

I don't think the queues this year were acceptable, nor was the management of those queues (previous years all had signs up saying "1 hour from this point", didn't see any of that this year). Really soured the experience for me.

MouldyK

AHA-Lambda

It's alright boasting about attendance numbers rising if they're prepared to back that up with a bigger space, more units per game and/or more games available.

I don't think the queues this year were acceptable, nor was the management of those queues (previous years all had signs up saying "1 hour from this point", didn't see any of that this year). Really soured the experience for me.

I seen only 2 times where there were signs: Division and Mirror's Edge 2, both saying 3 hours.

AHA-Lambda

How the fuck can Vive be number 2 when less than 1% of the attendees got to test it out?

Exactly, wtf happened with these results? I smell shite frankly >_>

Also, in 2015 why are we still distinguishing indie games? I expected more from you Eurogamer.

AmyS

AMD: Sony bringing PlayStation VR to market as its own vision

Computer processor manufacturer AMD has been working with virtual reality technology for some time now, having been seen working with both Oculus VR and Valve and HTC on the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive head-mounted displays respectively. Of course, the company has also worked closely with Sony Computer Entertainment in the past, making its AMD x86-64 Accelerated Processing Unit a part of the PlayStation 4 console. Does this mean that the company is also working with SCE on PlayStation VR?

It would appear not. That is at least according to AMD’s Head of VR Marketing, Sasa Marinkovic. Speaking in an interview with Tom’s Hardware, he confirmed that the company isn’t working with SCE on PlayStation VR. “Obviously, PlayStation 4 is powered by AMD,” Marinkovic said. “But Sony controls its VR ecosystem, and they are bringing it to the market as their vision.

When asked if a relevant partnership could perhaps be formed in the future he replied: “I have no visibility into it. But it could be, but like I said, I have no visibility into future plans. But I have tried Morpheus [PlayStation VR] by myself, and I really loved it. It was a very good experience.”

http://vrfocus.com/archives/23003/amd-sony-bringing-playstation-vr-to-market-as-its-own-vision/

Top Bottom