• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGX 2015: VR Year!!

Spookie

How do you get the Yooka Laylee print and the Jensen figures?

The print is right need the entrance and you can buy it there. There is a stall selling them next to the GAME pirate ship (irony).

Yep, you got the pilot's name right didn't you? ;) I went to presentation too. I wasn't quick enough on my answers.

Yeah that was me haha
highfive.gif

UrbanRats

To be clear, I had a bad time with it because of the nature of the game as a demo and also possibly because I'm inept. I'm not taking it as a reflection on the full game.

Like, if Mirror's Edge had felt pants I'd be skipping that one, but this was just a "ok 20 minutes free-roam have fun!" thing.

Yeah, hopefully it just needs some time to get used to, since flying with the suit looked amazing in the trailers.

JoshHood

To those looking to go to basically anything with a queue, a bit of advice: most queues were closed off at 4pm yesterday, even if they didn't seem that long (namely Halo, Tomb Raider, Battlefront, Mirrors Edge, Need for Speed, and the Ubi games. Seems like a specific arbitrary cut off based on how late they ran on Thursday, so if you want to see those, get queuing before 4pm!

Astrates

To those looking to go to basically anything with a queue, a bit of advice: most queues were closed off at 4pm yesterday, even if they didn't seem that long (namely Halo, Tomb Raider, Battlefront, Mirrors Edge, Need for Speed, and the Ubi games. Seems like a specific arbitrary cut off based on how late they ran on Thursday, so if you want to see those, get queuing before 4pm!

Best advice so far! This us certainly the case for the big games. Seems most stands want to be fully cleared before the 6pm close.

AHA-Lambda

*sigh*

If it wasn't for Yoshida today, this would be a complete disaster.

Managed to try out PSVR not bad at all, eager to try out vive and the rift now.

Managed to get an appointment just by showing the confirmation page even though I didn't get a confirmation email.

DjRalford

Well after having 3 people snatch a t-shirt out of my 7yr old's hands at the YouTube gaming stage, despite the guy actually saying the third time this one's for that little girl, she got some stickers from the nintendo stage so she's cheered up a bit now.

People are animals sometimes

Chille

Well after having 3 people snatch a t-shirt out of my 10yr old's hands at the YouTube gaming stage, despite the guy actually saying the third time this one's for that little girl, she got some stickers from the nintendo stage so she's cheered up a bit now.

Person behind my mate snatched his shirt off him also when they were throwing destiny shirts into crowd

Liamc723

Shu Yoshida's panel was fantastic, and meeting him afterwards was even better!

The amount of kiosks for certain games was rather odd though. The fact there was only 6-8 demo units for Mirror's Edge Catalyst is absolutely insane!

Mideon

Well after having 3 people snatch a t-shirt out of my 10yr old's hands at the YouTube gaming stage, despite the guy actually saying the third time this one's for that little girl, she got some stickers from the nintendo stage so she's cheered up a bit now.

Idiots everywhere you go. Unfortunately people at gaming events seem to lack basic social skills. Sorry to hear about a few people nearly ruining your experience.

T-Rex.

Banned
Enjoyed it today but the queues were horrendous. 2 and a half hours queuing for Halo because they only had 24 units for some reason. Forza on the other hand had plenty and the queue for that wasn't bad at all. I didn't even bother with Battlefront or The Division after Halo cos I knew I'd be stuck there for ages.

XaosWolf

There's been fuck all AAA stuff I care about this year, which makes it easier on queuing. Got in and enjoyed StarFox and Mirrors Edge Catalyst which is looking good.

Apart from that there been a general air of disappointment this year due to the way all the VR stuff has been handled.

Two things have helped get past this though and that's David Bateson and Line Wobbler. (Which I'm committed to buying)

Seriously, check out Line Wobbler at Leftfield and chat with Robin who made it. =D

DjRalford

Idiots everywhere you go. Unfortunately people at gaming events seem to lack basic social skills. Sorry to hear about a few people nearly ruining your experience.

We got tomorrow morning yet, will make sure we get in nice and early tomorrow, littlun wants to play some more nintendo stuff whilst the missus keeps an eye, I can go into the 18+ bit then.

On another note I saw someone in the NEC premier Inn restaurant this evening wearing a master Rahool t shirt, anyone from GAF?

I wouldn't worry about Battlefront, open BETA for all goes up on the 8th October anyway, why I wasn't too bothered about missing that.

Just got back. Queues were too long to play many AAA games, but had good fun with Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Guitar Hero Live was fucking fantastic. Little Monster by Royal Blood sounded absolutely brilliant.

Eitr was disappointing, played pretty poorly.

Xion86

Just got back from EGX, was good fun as expected! Luckily the NEC wasn't too busy with its car park either (got there around 9ish I think). Atmosphere was great, plenty to look at and a good range of titles. That being said, there wasn't too many big titles I was interested in this year, so only had a stupidly long queue for The Division, which wasn't too bad as long as you play as a team, controls were fine too. I think I enjoyed watching Xenoblade Chronicles X and Dragon Quest Heroes and will definitely pick those up.

Got to try out the PlayStation VR....but out of the 4 games, I got placed into EVE Valkyrie, which I was really annoyed about as I played it last year with the Rift (grr). That and I badly wanted to try out Kitchen as I heard good things of that tech demo and there was no display for spectators to see it. So yeah, still a little annoyed about that, even any of the other games would be nice. The VR itself was okay, visually nothing mind blowing though in terms of quality.

So yeah, quite a fun day out!

Stuart444

We got tomorrow morning yet, will make sure we get in nice and early tomorrow, littlun wants to play some more nintendo stuff whilst the missus keeps an eye, I can go into the 18+ bit then.

On another note I saw someone in the NEC premier Inn restaurant this evening wearing a master Rahool t shirt, anyone from GAF?

You here as well? Not me though as I haven't been to the restaurant lol. Sorry about the issues with the shirts :( some people suck

Xion86

Managed to try out PSVR not bad at all, eager to try out vive and the rift now.

Managed to get an appointment just by showing the confirmation page even though I didn't get a confirmation email.

Nice one :D Did you get to play Kitchen at all? If so what was it like. Anyone else here play that? (I'm just really curious about what it's like).

Astrates

I got to play it lol

I played Kitchen. It looked good but didn't scare me or drag me into the work completely. I don't say it didn't scare me out of bravado as frankly I'm a wuss haha. I rink it didn't help they wouldn't let you adjust the headset fully yourself. I sneakily pulled the 'screen area' a little and that cleared up image massively so I think if it was my own kit it'd function well.

Was one part of it where your chararcter is pulled back in a chair so it tilts. I did have a sense of falling/vertigo for a second there.

Xion86

I got to play it lol

What was it like in summary?

Ohh just read Astrates's reply. Sounds interesting :) Would have liked to have tried it out. Oh well, maybe if it ever makes it to be released as a game, or even shipped as a tech demo.

In what way?
The isometric camera and movement makes it difficult to guard and attack. You could look like you are fine to block but then you just get hit with an inescapable combo. It would work far better with free movement with the isometric perspective. It's also so Dark Souls it's ridiculous. Not that I'm complaining, but it had bonfires, Estus and something that seems to be Humanity.

Astrates

Ohh just read Astrates's reply. Sounds interesting :) Would have liked to have tried it out. Oh well, maybe if it ever makes it to be released as a game, or even shipped as a tech demo.

I'll give a full breakdown tomorrow of all I played once I've done my last day.

XaosWolf

The isometric camera and movement makes it difficult to guard and attack. You could look like you are fine to block but then you just get hit with an inescapable combo. It would work far better with free movement with the isometric perspective. It's also so Dark Souls it's ridiculous. Not that I'm complaining, but it had bonfires, Estus and something that seems to be Humanity.

I agree with this, though the most annoying thing to me was the wondering of identical corridors. =/

May have to check out Tomb Raider if the demo involves actually raiding tombs.

As for PSVR with random game assignment, I would have absolutely flipped if I'd got given EVE Valkyrie for the third year running. Occulus last year forced me onto it after a massive queue when the only game I wanted to but hadnt played was Lucky's Tale.

King_Moc

Banned
Good job I'm going again tomorrow, with the insane queues this year. They need to get more units in, or sell less tickets. One or the other. It wasn't this bad before.

I played this. It's quite limited on interactivity, as you're just tied to a chair. Your hands are tied together, which is simulated nicely by you holding the controller, though movement was a little laggy (they said that might be interference on the show floor). The sense of presence was fairly impressive and I did wince a little when the woman stabbed me in the leg in it, as when you look down at your legs, it does kind of feel like you're just looking at your legs.

Couple of note about the headset, I've heard people say the screen door effect is almost gone on it before. This is nonsense. It's maybe very slightly better than on Oculus Dev kit 2. Also, there was heavy aliasing and some judder when panning your head. It most definitely did not feel anywhere near like a 120fps experience. And I say that as a person with a 144fps monitor.

AHA-Lambda

Wasn't impressed with Tomb Raider, was really not clear where you were supposed to go half the time, and I know it wasn't just me as the guy next to me was the same.

Also, giving out surveys in the queue to vote in what a pre order bonus will be is fucking stupid as heck.

Stuart444

Today was enjoyable. Played some Ratchet and Clank which was fun, Assassins Creed which was the usual (happy it was the female AC demo) and some other stuff (not going into detail, hate typing on touch screen for extended periods)

The Worms demo was a bit buggy, one unit crashed to the point that no matter how many times you restarted the demo, after your first move the timer would freeze and you could only go left or right but could do nothing else. Another one was buggy when trying to change weapons. It eventually worked after 10 mins.

Also hung out at the cosplay stage. Some great costumes and it was fun to watch

EGX was awesome!

I played Mirrors Edge, Halo,Forza,Cuphead, Some other random indies. I also went to a Tomb Raider community event after at the All Bar One where I got a free 2 course dinner and drinks, free swag and met the community manager.

Was a good day :D

Xion86

I played this. It's quite limited on interactivity, as you're just tied to a chair. Your hands are tied together, which is simulated nicely by you holding the controller, though movement was a little laggy (they said that might be interference on the show floor).

That explains things...I was watching this guy play and I thought he was just trying to test the technology or something, he was shaking the controller like crazy in a few directions. Even the staff who was there with him was like :|

Thanks for the feedback though :) the leg stab sounds pretty dark!

Well I'm knackered, 4 days standing has done my legs in.

Thanks to the Gaffers who turned up to my stand and said hello, I really appreciate it :) - people were very nice considering I didnt have much of a game to show off.

In terms of the show itself, my family went, they were impressed by:

• Morpheus
  • Battlefront
  • Mirrors Edge
  • Friendly people on the whole :) - especially the Morpheus guy and the Nintendo staff (who were very caring about the games)

What wasn't good from what I could establish

• The noise, that loud speaker, really didn't need to drown everything else out
  • Some people at 10am rushing to get to games, apparently my wife saw one guy literally jump over a guy in a wheel chair to get in front of him, absolutely disgraceful
  • The HTC guy who was really not very helpful to my kids trying to get booked in
  • The queues, in some cases they were terrible for people I talked to, could put people off the show in the future

My friend tried the Vive and said it was very impressive.

AHA-Lambda

Wait a minute!! Where was Cuphead?!?!

Also to echo the above the HTC booth staff really were terrible ignorant people, and yet frankly had the easiest jobs there considering no one could get in >_>
That'll definitely be getting mentioned in the survey.

Came back on Sunday to play more games. Mirror's Edge was the only AAA game I wanted to play. If you wanted to play more than one AAA game here with these 2-3 hour queues, you'd have to go on all days.

Got some footage of the final levels of Thumper (video). I think it was unanimous that Thumper was the best game of EGX 2015, from asking 10 gamers and devs.

Wish I had more time to play RIOT Civil Unrest (video), but looking good as a 2D riot simulator. In the demo, could use police to manage protesters, although it got violent really quickly. Looks stunning.

The 3 hour queue for Mirror's Edge Catalyst was bonkers! We came back around 1pm and then it was 2 hours, so decided to queue. Could play for only 10 minutes (unskippable cutscenes ugh). Graphics are excellent, character models like Icarus' looking impressive, and loving Faith's purple nail polish. Love the LB (hold) for spring jumps on any platform rather than how it was with specific red boxes in the first game. Climbing up pipes is super fast. Exploring around the world and finding a flow around the level design was great, unlike the first game which was stop-and-start, ruining the momentum. Totally sold on the combat as being part of the flow rather than slowing it down. My friend was not as impressed, even said the graphics looked worse, saying it was more of the first game which it really is. He's a big fan of the first game, used it for a project with the level design as he's an architect student. Thought the world looked too futuristic while first game was more current, and story was too generic. I couldn't disagree much, I just like the core parkour gameplay so I didn't mind. I'm sure he'll get the final game anyway.

CP6AQcSWEAAfZSk.jpg

CP6CBI-WIAAXd9K.jpg

Cuphead was awesome. Took a video. The animation is insanely detailed. First time playing it. Quite challenging, think you get 3 hits then you're out. You can press RB (I think) and lock yourself in one position to then shoot in all 8 directions. There didn't seem to be a bubble-like mechanic like Mario or Rayman to revive the other player by hitting them? Maybe we were just dumb. Either way, excited.

CP5-e2xWEAA2Y9W.jpg

SUPERHOT (video) was also awesome! The enemies catching each others' guns is like such a whoa moment. This game has potential to be amazing. The hit reaction feedback because of the crystals is just so satisfying, like putting a hole through a dude's chest and then crumble away.

Kill Box (video), a game about drone warfare but kind of confusing. Set in North Waziristan, Pakistan. It seemed to have a multiplayer thing where the other screen would be the person on the ground (shown as a ball rolling around) but couldn't search for the other player. So all it was on the left screen was pressing some letters to ready a missile and fire. The presentation with the emotionless chatter reflecting how it is in real life was cool, but didn't engage me overall.

CP6n3ovWsAA2Ubx.jpg

CP6n6JoWIAAH6-z.jpg

CP6oceCWoAABetG.jpg

Southbank Portrait (video) - Shifting waveform-based landscapes in this first person adventure/walking sim game. The views can be pretty surreal. Can't hear it here, but the ambient audio is like of real life stuff like a kid talking or police sirens that could be telling a story. At some point you see SALES signs and creepy teeth valleys.

Black and White Bushido (video) is like Samurai Gunn without the guns. If you're a black character and in a black area, you're invisible until you start moving and you're more grey. Same goes for white characters. The black and white areas move around. There are clashes if you both attack each other at the same time. It's pretty simple right now but looks nice.

kYQIS7Q.gif

jztwG8h.gif

Iconoclasts (video; boss video), finally this game is playable! Been following Joakim Sandberg's stuff for a while. It's been years. It shows in a good way, lots of polish and a very long demo. Game must be pretty much done. The animations are too cute. You got a wrench and a gun for weapons, enemies are killed by stomping or charged shots. The wrench can be spun for attacks. Overall, just very stylish.

CP7SrP2WgAEyiz5.jpg

I'm really surprised Bears Can't Drift?! hasn't been picked up by a publisher. Only a year's amount of work on part-time, but already so much polish. Just a really fun kart racer. It's already on Steam early access (most requested thing is online MP...for an indie team of 3 lol), probably will come to PS4. The animations are great.

Spent some time chatting to the Bears Can't Drift guys. Looking forward to this when it comes out. Good luck to them.

I really enjoyed the indie stuff at EGX this year. Very vibrant with loads going on. A nice change from some of the jaded sequels coming from the big publishers.

Happy I got to try PlayStation VR though. Was very lucky and managed to snatch a spare slot.

cm94YG9.gif

https://youtu.be/NgTN2hWGezA

Got more footage of Twin Souls (3D ninja stealth game), this time being played the developer himself David Leon :p The gameplay loop of create shadow near enemy, kill enemy, place shadow over body to disappear is already satisfying. He showed off more of the abilities like ringing the bell to get guards' attention, using a black hole trap, or remote stunning. Can also mark enemies, with a white circle on their head. Since Thursday, they've made the tutorial better, changed some AI, made shadows easier to make. My friend was not hesitant on giving loads of criticism on little things like especially the stiff animations (I already did my fair share on Thursday). Love how receptive and already aware the devs are of the criticisms, but I think that's how it is. Developers know all the criticisms beforehand cause they probably stare at the game for hundreds of hours, they're rarely surprised by feedback unless if it's super positive. The goal is to have 15 levels (right now it's 7), a level editor, and another very ambitious thing that I shouldn't spoil right now :p. Game still has a year of development left. Best of luck.

boswell22

I was lucky enough to get slots on both HTC Vive and Playstation VR.

For the Vive I had the underwater, painting and aperture science demo's. My first time using VR and it was incredible, when people say you have to experience it to understand, they mean it. Hearing the whale behind me and then turning around to see it was amazing. My girlfriend also had a Vive slot but she got the Elite Dangerous demo which didn't sound as good but still enjoyable.

For Playstation VR we both had the Kitchen demo. The graphics were not as good (understandable) and also the headphones were not great so I could hear a lot of background noise. However it was still great, when he tries to cut the rope from your hands it is impossible to not recoil as the knife appears inches from your face. My girlfriend freaked out playing this and was constantly trying to bat the woman away from her face. She enjoyed it much more than Elite Dangerous.

Other games I played were Just Cause 3, AC, Cuphead and Guitar Hero Live. Cuphead looks absolutely stunning. Guitar Hero Live was bit of a surprise, really liked the new guitar and atmosphere of the game. Also saw a video presentation of Deus Ex which also looks very promising.

Definitely could have done with another day, some of the queues were obscene.

AHA-Lambda

K, some impressions on the games and overall show:

First, the organisation this year has been a shit show. I can safely say that I will not be going back next year, as despite enjoying myself with what was there, this has been the worst EGX I've been to. I'll hope to see improvements next year before I go back.

As has been said, organisation was a mess, with too many huge queues for any AAA of note with only some exceptions.
Couple this with:
-Less interesting dev sessions (from what I heard from people only Yoshida's was busy) that couldn't even fill out their own timetable
-Very little presence from 2016 AAA titles (PvZ GW2, Mirror's Edge, Division I think that was it)
-Piss poor planning on some booths part (why on earth did Mirror's Edge have 8 units?! Division had less than 30?)
-VR. Everything about this set up was wrong. Why bother being here if less than 100 people a day, in a venue of thousands, can see your device?
-This is only in hindsight but annoyed that games seemed to be hidden away. I didn't see Cuphead anywhere and it's no on the website or the app!
-With the limited time given all the queuing, I got no chance to even see the indies and only 2 dev talks. Previous years I'd have gotten more done per day than I did here.
-Shocking behaviour from some people as they clamour for free stuff (which has definitely dwindled over the years)
-And a special shout out to the HTC staff for being totally rude dickheads the whole weekend it seemed

Anyway, games/talk impressions:

Homefront 2: wasn't impressed, seems fairly standard open world FPS with Ubisoft design

Just Cause 3: More Just Cause really, not a bad thing.

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate: Liked this more than I thought, but I still recognise this as just Unity 2. I liked the different options given for assassination and infiltration that Unity introduced, but I never played that game.
Game seemed to run ok for me, but man I've not played AC in so long, I forgot how awkward these controls are!

The Division: Weird, it seems like a solid cover based shooter and I had fun playing it, but it was difficult to tell why we were doing what we were doing. I thought extraction was to get our team out safely and win the match but it was just for getting loot out? By the time the demo was over I couldn't honestly tell you how our team did compared to others, did we win?
Also no indication for the game's grander MMO elements.

Star Wars: Battlefront: I did not get to try the 20v20 mode as it was far too busy, I did play the co-op horde mode. Really liked it, weird to see a big game like this in 2015 using pick ups found on the map. You're given an assault rifle that has to cooldown if you overheat it, no ammo clips. Also some extra equipment on a cooldown (jetpack, lock-on rocket launcher and a shield on a timer to give you some respite from the battle) and by the 3rd wave I was just given a thermal grenade that was just a 1 limited use.
Felt a little easy, most enemies died quick enough and they didn't seem very smart, and I think I would have finished it, but my mate kept dying and I accidentally jumped off the cliff miscontrolling my jetpack =/

Rise of the Tomb Raider: Didn't like this, but I wasn't a fan of the 2013 title either. Story was already stupid from the small snippet (No, Lara, don't hide in the place the enemies are definitely going to look!), and I found the pathfinding a little difficult. I don't think this was just me as the guy next to me had trouble also.

Mirror's Edge 2: Probably my favourite game of the show, even if it's just more Mirror's Edge. I do worry about the Ubisoftification of the game now it's went open world though.

PSVR: Really liked what I experienced here but there's not enough to convince me to buy one yet. I was sat down at a random demo, and I was given the London Heist Getaway demo. As a game, it's not very good, but that's not fair, it's only a proof of concept clearly; just an on rails shooter where you couldn't die.
If anything I was more impressed at how PS Move was implemented with the headset, I've never used it before and it's so responsive! I had one for each hand, left for the gun and right to grab ammo and reload the clip into the gun, felt great! The headset itself felt close to my experience with Oculus DK1, immersive and impressive but improvements can clearly be made. The headset didn't fit fully around my head and if I looked down I could see under the screen at the floor, vision was blurry at the edges and graphical fidelity was not a strongpoint of this demo - PS4 graphics these are not. But it seemed to have a high framerate (I felt no motion sickness anyway), and I couldn't notice any obvious pixelation.
The slot was for a half hour but the demo was only 10 minutes and I was off after that =/

Deus Ex Mankind Divided booth: Really liked it, was an expanded look at the E3 demo

Hitman booth: pointless, it's just the walkthrough that's on youtube.

Yoshida talk: Really interesting, can really tell his passion came across! Compared very favourably to the Kojima talk from a few years back where he wasn't very engaging to be frank.

Some great and some really dumb questions afterwards. I'm glad people asked about Wipeout and Sony Bend, but congrats to the Killzone 2 guy for giving me and my mates laughs as the dumbest question we heard all weekend.

Sadly I and others were turned away from the mic, as questions ran over.
Went to the meet and greet after, and got a photo, but you had no opportunity to talk to him, it was all very much get up and go so they could get through the queue.

Eurogamer Podcast: Found it quite funny, and interesting to see their thoughts on this year as a whole; 2015 really has been great.
If anyone was there, I was the guy asking Chriss Bratt about his Videogamer work :p

Xion86

The Division: Weird, it seems like a solid cover based shooter and I had fun playing it, but it was difficult to tell why we were doing what we were doing. I thought extraction was to get our team out safely and win the match but it was just for getting loot out? By the time the demo was over I couldn't honestly tell you how our team did compared to others, did we win?

This is one thing I definitely felt from The Division. I had fun playing it, especially with my two friends, and we were trying to work as a team. But honestly I wasn't sure exactly what the objective was and why we were doing it (I was kind of just moving to the enemy area to take them out). By the end of it, I wasn't sure what the overall outcome was. In terms of the MMO element, well, I levelled up...yey.

Top Bottom