• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGX 2015: VR Year!!

Stuart444

Enjoying it so far. Only a few more games I want to play so I can check them off the list tomorrow.

Busier than ever though and going to be worse over next few days. Wish I'd had the same idea as many others to bring fold up chairs.

I'm used to sitting on the ground haha

2nd day at EGX and only just getting around to uploading a couple of videos from our first day. If you'd like a walk through of the first half of the expo the video is below.

https://youtu.be/T5Q-X9TEDDc

Managed to check out Halo 5 multiplayer on the first day which was amazing. I really wasn't a fan of the Beta, really put off Halo 5 but playing the new Multiplayer mode instantly sold me on it. Tomb Raider was really good as well, an instant buy again. In fact the whole Xbox stand was really well done.

Nintendo have a great stand too but not spent too much time at Sonys yet, saving that for tomorrow. If you have any questions about the games on show such as Mirrors Edge feel free to ask.

Stuart444

I am too now haha. I just hate not having back support, very uncomfortable.

Know what games you are heading for first?

Edit: Vault boy masks are from the Xbox Stand.

Nope, I just plan on looking around at first so I know where the Morpheus stand is (first slot for today lol) and so I know where the dev sessions area is lol

Super hyped for tomorrow.

I don't think ima play Battlefront because of the super long ques and the beta is so close.

Game Viewing Order:

1. Tomb Raider
  2. Halo
  3. Mirrors Edge

Then random stuff but they are my most wanted to play. I hope I can get them done in a day.

Queuing for Tomb Raider atm.
How big is the que?
Also is it in the 18+ Section, I've heard its not. Hoping to get in even though I'm 17.

Mideon

Wtf why is everything so busy?!?

It's never been THIS bad before!
Almost everything is 3 hours!

Yeah I'm heading home already came on Thursday saw most things walked straight into Warhammer and Just Cause today and watched a live demo of Battlefront.

Tomb Raider and The Division the ones I wanted to play are 3 hour queues so forget that!

AHA-Lambda

I find myself even more disappointed as it goes, I've vented in the thread earlier after all, but this is ludicrous.

Wtf happened this year???
Something has went really wrong.

Super hyped for tomorrow.

I don't think ima play Battlefront because of the super long ques and the beta is so close.

Game Viewing Order:

1. Tomb Raider
  2. Halo
  3. Mirrors Edge

Then random stuff but they are my most wanted to play. I hope I can get them done in a day.

How big is the que?
Also is it in the 18+ Section, I've heard its not. Hoping to get in even though I'm 17.

It's in the MS section, but curtained off behind an 18+ bit.

also, just Nate drake collection, which looks very nice for a port, textures and character model bumps are fantastic.

Bumhead

Banned
The queues bothered me more this year than any other year I've been.

Not sure why or what happened, but there seemed to be lengthy queues for literally everything.

They also didn't have the queue time estimate placards up, as far as I could see.

Be interested to know what the attendance figures are for this year. The NEC absolutley did not feel bigger to me as a venue, or more comfortable in accommodating crowds.

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
Be interested to know what the attendance figures are for this year. The NEC absolutley did not feel bigger to me as a venue, or more comfortable in accommodating crowds.

If anything it actually felt smaller this year to me! Definatley didn't feel like there was as much there as previous years.

Felt the NEC was a better venue though as much as I loved Earls Court. Also felt the queue to get in was better organised than previous years.

Not too sure if I'm going to go back next year as I just didn't enjoy myself as much this year, the whole thing was just exhausting to me (although me being I'll probably didn't help)

I only played about 3, maybe 5 games at most, decided to watch people playing the big AAA stuff like battlefront most of the time. Missed the dev sessions I wanted to attend though cause of the queuing for those as well. Felt off latter half of day cause I was waiting on Witherspoons to serve my lunch food for over 45 mins. It wasn't the best time, I miss the ECTS days... but trying out HTC VIVE was ace, was so lucky to get in on that due to a last minute cancellation.

The queues are so bad because the publishers honestly did not bring enough demo units for their biggest games. SE did good with JC3 and I believe the waiting time for that is around 40 mins. but there's only like 7 units for Mirrors Edge, the same for NFS (another 3 or 4 NFS PS4 units by the Playstation booth though).

Battlefront nowhere near enough, considering the size of the franchise (but also some demo units in PS area). BLOPS3 had a huge area. Halo 5 hardly anything really, and long wait times because of it. Ubisoft brought too few demo kiosks except for AC:S (there were a few in Playstation area as well). Everyone wanted to play the Devision and rainbow 6 though and what did UBi bring for R6, enough for two teams to play at one time.

AHA-Lambda

Resigned myself to not even getting to see the (limited) AAA I want to see now.

Also props to HTC for having a completely pointless stand staffed by ignorant gits, who wouldn't answer the simple question as to how to get in the Vive.
"We're fully booked for today." And then just walked away from me.

This is gash.

Resigned myself to not even getting to see the (limited) AAA I want to see now.

Also props to HTC for having a completely pointless stand staffed by ignorant gits, who wouldn't answer the simple question as to how to get in the Vive.
"We're fully booked for today." And then just walked away from me.

This is gash.

Did you try the nVidia booth as well? they're several HTC units. You might be lucky like me with a cancellation.

I only played about 3, maybe 5 games at most, decided to watch people playing the big AAA stuff like battlefront most of the time. Missed the dev sessions I wanted to attend though cause of the queuing for those as well. Felt off latter half of day cause I was waiting on Witherspoons to serve my lunch food for over 45 mins. It wasn't the best time, I miss the ECTS days... but trying out HTC VIVE was ace, was so lucky to get in on that due to a last minute cancellation.

The queues are so bad because the publishers honestly did not bring enough demo units for their biggest games. SE did good with JC3 and I believe the waiting time for that is around 40 mins. but there's only like 7 units for Mirrors Edge, the same for NFS (another 3 or 4 NFS PS4 units by the Playstation booth though).

Battlefront nowhere near enough, considering the size of the franchise (but also some demo units in PS area). BLOPS3 had a huge area. Halo 5 hardly anything really, and long wait times because of it. Ubisoft brought too few demo kiosks except for AC:S (there were a few in Playstation area as well). Everyone wanted to play the Devision and rainbow 6 though and what did UBi bring for R6, enough for two teams to play at one time.

Dayum, is it really that bad?

Hopefully next year they sort it out and I kinda hope its at the NEC again since I just have to take one short bus journey.

And only 7 for Mirrors Edge? o_O I'll have to get to that first then.

Thanks to the OP, I got to try out the Vive (with GAF/Sumo's Donkey Show no less!) yesterday and... fuck me. Had to cancel going today because I'm ill, but man. That was worth it. That shit is so the future. I could only laugh after playing that.

Everything else I played:

- Street Fighter V: Got my arsed kicked. Felt good though, and looks wonderful. Eager to play the real thing.
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst: Don't know what they did but this felt a LOT easier to get the hang of than the original. Or maybe I just remember more of the original than I thought, given I haven't touched it for at least 3 years. But this felt really, really nice. The combat seemed a little... awkward, but divekicks and stuff is fun, and you can basically run away from everything still so that's fine. 2 hour queue, though... Yeah, still worth it.
- Iconoclasts: Everyone at EGX needs to go play this! It's in the Leftfield section. It's basically a successor to Monster World IV, with gorgeous sprite art to match. Loved playing it, with some solid puzzles and decent combat. Scraped my way through the first boss... or I thought I did, until it went into its second form. Ouch.
- Just Cause 3: Disappointed with this one, due to the physics seemingly having changed quite heavily, so getting the hang of swinging along with the parachute was hard. The wingsuit didn't seem very easy either. Kind of felt like I spent 20 minutes just learning the controls, and not even succeeding. Bleh. Still excited for the full game though, I 100%d JC2.

Dayum, is it really that bad?

Hopefully next year they sort it out and I kinda hope its at the NEC again since I just have to take one short bus journey.

And only 7 for Mirrors Edge? o_O I'll have to get to that first then.

Friday was bad, pretty much every new AAA game was a minimum of a 2-3 hour wait except JC3 at 40 minutes (cause they brought enough units). I think Halo 5 at one point someone mentioned it was 5 hour wait (though i think that was exaggeration). SFV you could get on straight away though :p and they're giving out free red headbands.

AHA-Lambda

Just to put things in perspective, this is my 3rd EGX and I've been to Rezzed once. The first year I was there was the launch of the new consoles and even then the queues were not as bad as this.

Thanks to the OP, I got to try out the Vive (with GAF/Sumo's Donkey Show no less!) yesterday and... fuck me. Had to cancel going today because I'm ill, but man. That was worth it. That shit is so the future. I could only laugh after playing that.

Everything else I played:

- Street Fighter V: Got my arsed kicked. Felt good though, and looks wonderful. Eager to play the real thing.
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst: Don't know what they did but this felt a LOT easier to get the hang of than the original. Or maybe I just remember more of the original than I thought, given I haven't touched it for at least 3 years. But this felt really, really nice. The combat seemed a little... awkward, but divekicks and stuff is fun, and you can basically run away from everything still so that's fine. 2 hour queue, though... Yeah, still worth it.
- Iconoclasts: Everyone at EGX needs to go play this! It's in the Leftfield section. It's basically a successor to Monster World IV, with gorgeous sprite art to match. Loved playing it, with some solid puzzles and decent combat. Scraped my way through the first boss... or I thought I did, until it went into its second form. Ouch.
- Just Cause 3: Disappointed with this one, due to the physics seemingly having changed quite heavily, so getting the hang of swinging along with the parachute was hard. The wingsuit didn't seem very easy either. Kind of felt like I spent 20 minutes just learning the controls, and not even succeeding. Bleh. Still excited for the full game though, I 100%d JC2.

Thom? Is that you? The one I helped to bear out the Mirrors Edge queue

Just to put things in perspective, this is my 3rd EGX and I've been to Rezzed once. The first year I was there was the launch of the new consoles and even then the queues were not as bad as this.

I think they seriously underestimated how much demand there'd be for Mirror's Edge. 8 units!

Thom? Is that you? The one I helped to bear out the Mirrors Edge queue

Yeah! Also I was the guy who said Halo was 5 hours, but that was probably bollocks, ahaha

Spookie

So EGX15 is over for me again (I did Thursday to Friday). I guess this is my annual write up and thoughts.

Well this year was officially my 5 year anniversary of going to Eurogamer Expo, or EGX as they are now calling it. Gone is Earls Court, Jesus (a running joke from the last two years) and the city of London. Instead it's been replaced by the grey monolith that is the NEC.

I had mixed views initially on the relocation, we all know Earls Court as we know it has been bulldozed to make flats for some Chinese investment bankers who are going to price UK folks out of the capital. Lots of us have some amazing memories from London and the NEC will never replace them. But after Thursday night I welcomed the change, enjoyed it. I can't believe I'm saying this but: it is the superior location. Eurogamer had simply out grown Earls Court, while it felt more personal and the community behind the event had grown there it needs to mature to grow and change can't be denied.
It wasn't all roses though, wednesday night was a nightmare. Getting off at Birmingham International having no clue where to go for the hotel and quickly realising our choice of food consisted of Subway I wasn't too impressed. But learning that Birmingham International is literally 10 minutes away from Birmingham New Street station and is only £2.80 on the train opened a lot of doors for us. Not only does Birmingham offer more food locations in a more condensed area it also offers the Bullring, a huge shopping complex on the door of the station. Needless to say me and Lauren ate like fucking royalty the two days we were there (Handmade Burger Co needs repping because that food was incredible). I understand people are protesting this year by not going, but fuck them, just because you live in London doesn't mean your entitled to every event in the country being held there. I've heard more accents from around the country this year than ever before. If this means more people are able to go, that's a good thing. Gaming is an accommodating hobby, so should any events around it.

So far so good, but about the event itself. The NEC felt like it had a much easier job of accommodating for everyone who comes to EGX. A job Earls Court staff met the challenge of but it wasn't the most elegant solution, putting us in the ant farm underground to queue. I got there at 8am for Thursday, Subway in hand and began queuing. Little disappointed we didn't get our usual programmes we are so accustomed to but I can see why they just gave us maps after that huge hour long video they played to keep us distracted.

Anyway inside we plodded and the first thing we ran like Usain Bolt towards was the HTC Vive, I had already won an appointment but the GF needed one for her self. After getting there the queue was closed immediately almost right behind us cutting off at 10:10am about 200 disappointed people. The communication about the appointment system was piss poor with myself only knowing because Mike(side) had told us about it. Anyway appointment booked off I went to look at Mirrors Edge. Not much I can say about Mirrors edge if you're played the last one it's well more of the same, a running theme with some games this year, the combat seems more realised and less like it was jury rigged to fit in the free running mechanic like last time. No doubt will be another amazing game.

This put me on track with my HTC Vive appointment. I have real difficulty articulating how fucking astounding this piece of kit was. The tracking was 1:1, none of the difficulties I had with the Occulus and to top it off we were able to use the new remotes and walk around.
Let me start with the remotes. They felt like TV remotes to hold with a trigger on the bottom, much like a playstation move if you have that reference. The circle on the top had a lightly coarse texture like a very fine sand which you used for either selecting things by tapping it or you could use it to flick through menus (like you would do a phone) or used it to select radial options. It had haptic feedback built in so it would vibrate like your phone but the controller itself would also vibrate. So when you were selecting options you would feel a click each time it alternated. It felt great and the tracking was nailed down. No matter how much I tried to make it lag I couldn't. The thing followed me like I was using my own hands and felt like a natural extension to my body.
Moving on to the VR headset itself, at the moment, is a bit top heavy. After using it for 30 minutes I could really feel it's weight towards the end, but at the end of the day it is a development kit. With the level of accuracy they have already crammed in to this small box you can say they might be forgiven for making it as big as it is at the moment. As many of you know the big thing Valve is pushing is being able to move around your living room. As a person who lives in what can best be described as a wider coffin I put the question to the staff: what about me? I was told that the software will scale your movement to compensate for any changes in size so you don't miss out like the move or Kinect. The demos themselves made good use of the space, forcing you to go down on the floor to pick things up or really extend yourself to reach for things. It felt unusual from the more sedate way we've seen VR demonstrated so far but felt like a natural progression and evolution of the tech. I won't go in to much depth about the demos since you can see them all filed professionally on Youtube. What I will say is: while you can see the demo, you can't see the depth. That whale you see on the underwater demo, is not only visually incredible, but also physically huge. My brain was intimidated by the sheer size of the beast, when you move in to 3D and you can move around it adds a sense of scale you simply cannot get from a screen.
One thing which was unique for me to see was Laurens reaction to the Vive, she had watched me use the hardware and while impressed by the tech wasn't exactly ecstatic about trying it out, though after the thirty minute demo she was sold too. She isn't really a gamer, hell she's only really played Pillars of Eternity, but after the demo she was prompting me to buy one on release. The barrier to entry, the pad, had been removed from gaming and she could literally jump right in and enjoy her self. There wasn't any control scheme to learn she naturally pointed, picked and selected her way through the demos and really enjoyed herself. Like me, she is now a convert to the church of VR and ready for the sermon from HTC and Valve. If this is the future of gaming I'm ready for it and can't sign myself up quick enough.

Really need to say thanks for the HTC/Valve staff for coming along and showing the demo and being so god damn nice!

After our Vive demo, the rest of what we saw kind of paled in comparison and couldn't reach the same highs. Not to say there weren't any stand outs. In the interest of time I'll summarise some of them below.

Tomb Raider: As mentioned above, more of the same. The demo shown was more of a return of the tomb raiding we know returning to tombs solving jumping and adventure like puzzles, climbing about everything in site like a monkey who had devoured too many of those energy drinks given away at the show.
Just Cause 3: Very, very polished already it seems like much was learned from JC2 taking all the benefits the mods had given us and putting them inside the game. While it was freeroam the video shown to us before we played alluded to that there was going to be more of a structure to the game to accommodate for your rampant destruction of property.
Tom Clancys- 3rd Person Destiny: Oh sorry I mean, The Division. This desperately needed more booths, the queue was four hours on Friday afternoon. The game itself as I alluded to feels much like the controls of Splinter Cell meets Destiny. This isn't a bad thing mind you, the demo given was the PvP area. You entered the "Dark Zone" killed a couple of NPCs to steal some loot before trying to extract where you met two other teams of three trying to escape as well. This led to a unique situation of the three groups trying to outflank each other while using sam fisher esq technology to out wit each other. A solid game I'm now genuinely looking forward to.
Total War: Warhammer: There isn't much to be said about this, it does feel much like Total War with a Warhammer skin, I might be selling it sort with that description but it doesn't make the game any less entertaining. It's something I'll need to sit down with playing the campaign before I can make a proper judgement on.
Rainbow 6: Siege: I know the beta is out, but I still hadn't received my code so gave it a go anyway. It was a much slower game than I expected, very fatalistic with you dying very very quickly. I'm going to need to sit down at my PC to play it to really get an idea though.

To conclude this very long post: better venue, still has some new issues they need to work out and still suffers from some old ones. Mainly queues, they were MUCH worse this year leading to some awfully long waits which is usually only subject to one or two games maximum but this time effected 5+. The shops have finally began to sell some more interesting merch. I'm really happy with my Yooka Laylee limited edition EGX print though they could do with diversifying more though. Good to see the video at the start of the event in the queue to keep us distracted from clock watching as well. Most criticisms are aimed at individual exhibitors than the event itself.

In short: Can't say we don't miss Earls Court, but change is good and should be welcomed. A good new start to a hopefully happy relationship with the NEC. Here is to another happy 5 years!

Nice Laylee print, I really should of got myself a momento in addition to my SFV headband.

Shit, I didn't know they flattened Earls Court for shitty flats, they do this to music venues all the time, memories... are they building anything in London for exhibitions somewhere else to replace it?

There's a girl here in Quiet cosplay :-o
If its the one I saw friday, she was quite attractive, decent costume. There was a guy as Drake and also a girl dressed up as Elena Fisher, she was pretty too. All great cosplays, I'm surprised though, thought they'd be more cosplay about, maybe more at the weekend, that I haven't seen.

Spaghetti

shame people got caught out by getting hotels close to the NEC instead of just getting ones in birmingham city centre and just catching the train to the expo. i told everybody who'd listen about it if they weren't local.

Spookie

Nice Laylee print, I really should of got myself a momento in addition to my SFV headband.

It's my gimmick to buy something each year, I've now got a flat full of figures and a portal plushy.

Well proud of my mini-Adam Jensen though, they only had a handful and you had to get the mini quiz right to get one. :D

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I had to skip EGX this year because of laser eye surgery recovery (which one of the reasons I got it for, ironically, is to use VR headsets). I'm not keen on how EGX is mostly a corporate showcase with some basic indie involvement, I enjoyed it the first few years it was on then decided to skip it last year. I know Yogscast is involved this year, but I really want to see some community panel accommodation like how PAX does. Ah well, at least the Birmingham NEC sounds like a better venue than anywhere in London was. Roll on MCM London October.

Oh, did people not realise its only a 10 minute train journey from the city centre? Shame :(, makes a big difference. Coming home it was nice to have a wonder around the new john lewis and stop by at Ed's Diner :p

It's my gimmick to buy something each year, I've now got a flat full of figures and a portal plushy.

Well proud of my mini-Adam Jensen though, they only had a handful and you had to get the mini quiz right to get one. :D

Yep, you got the pilot's name right didn't you? ;) I went to presentation too. I wasn't quick enough on my answers.

*sorry didn't mean to double post guys.

UrbanRats

Don't do this to me man, only game left i'm excited about!

Don't do this to me man, only game left i'm excited about!

To be clear, I had a bad time with it because of the nature of the game as a demo and also possibly because I'm inept. I'm not taking it as a reflection on the full game.

Like, if Mirror's Edge had felt pants I'd be skipping that one, but this was just a "ok 20 minutes free-roam have fun!" thing.

Top Bottom