• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGX (Eurogamer Expo) 2016 - Longer Queues Than Disneyworld

Baleoce

Going Friday and Saturday. Surprised to see no Breath of the Wild or Nintendo at all there. I'd have thought they'd have gone just to market that, like they did at E3. Also Microsoft is just bringing Gears? I didn't see Forza on the showfloor map, unless I missed it.

Regardless, still tons to play. Can't wait.

Definitely going to be giving FFXV and XII HD a go. Dawn of War III as well. Sonic Mania, Yooka-Laylee, Worms WMD, in my veins. Probably give Dragon Quest Builders a go too. I think there's something crazy like 136 indie games there this year. Will be spending most of my time there not queuing xD

Audioboxer

Ace that'd be grand. I'm staying at a hotel near New Street I think. Should probably find that out. My phone's internet is wonky as fuck so will probably have to sort something out beforehand.

Also it does make me laugh when people describe B'ham as north. xD

I've never been to Birmingham so I have no idea where that is. Just booked something right next to the NEC so I'm walking distance.

Think I got like one of the last rooms as it gave me a disabled room even although I'm going on my own and said even a single room would be fine. Ah well, more room for me!!! But yeah hotels around the NEC sold out quickly.

hodgy100

I've never been to Birmingham so I have no idea where that is. Just booked something right next to the NEC so I'm walking distance.

Think I got like one of the last rooms as it gave me a disabled room even although I'm going on my own and said even a single room would be fine. Ah well, more room for me!!! But yeah hotels around the NEC sold out quickly.

me and my mates managed to grab a hotel in the jewelry quarter for £88 in total (there are 4 of us) so pretty good deal all things considered. we will jsut wander into the city centre and try to find a decent balti house :)

Audioboxer

me and my mates managed to grab a hotel in the jewelry quarter for £88 in total (there are 4 of us) so pretty good deal all things considered. we will jsut wander into the city centre and try to find a decent balti house :)

lol I had to pay that like per night, for myself.

I used to come down with my ex for EGX at London but as it's just me this year it's pricier all in. I didn't go last year, sold my ticket to a GAFer for his friend.

hodgy100

lol I had to pay that like per night, for myself.

I used to come down with my ex for EGX at London but as it's just me this year it's pricier all in. I didn't go last year, sold my ticket to a GAFer for his friend.

Yeah I've been going every year for the last ~5 years. I much preferred it when it was in London. makes for a better evening out, Not that Birmingham is bad, it's just not London!

Going this Friday with my buds! If we get there for around 10-11 will there be huge qs to get in?

Hope everyone going has great time.

Would be amazing if we heard something from Nintendo before Friday.

Mr Git

Ah okay - New Street is the central train station - I'll just get a train from International near the NEC but I'd imagine it'll be better boozing in the city rather than near the NEC.

Audioboxer

Ah okay - New Street is the central train station - I'll just get a train from International near the NEC but I'd imagine it'll be better boozing in the city rather than near the NEC.

Probably will be but I'll check what is in the area. It'll be handy for me staying nearby. I'm sure a taxi into the centre will be cheap enough though.

BTW nice avatar. Black Lagoon is fucking awesome!

Stuart444

I'll see you at the weekend Stuart!

Yeah, dev sessions are absolutely garbage this year. I booked a PSVR session for 1.30pm on the Friday.

I travel down tomorrow morning, wasn't spending more money to go down today.

Hehe, see ya then.

I travel on Friday and should be at the Ibis hotel by 9pm. (Late train)

I enjoy the experience of these events. :)

Mr Git

Probably will be but I'll check what is in the area. It'll be handy for me staying nearby. I'm sure a taxi into the centre will be cheap enough though.

BTW nice avatar. Black Lagoon is fucking awesome!

Ha cheers! And agreed it's bloody marvellous!

I'll try and keep an eye out for ya'll - but otherwise could always arrange a drinking hole in here. Or is everyone using the Whatsapp group jobby? Although I have zero faith in my phone's ability to reliably connect to the internet.

Astrates

I enjoked day 1 all in all, made way straight got Horizon.

I am a bit disappointed Sony haven't done more with PS4 Pro though, so far only know of a demo reel and 6 consoles playing COD.

Gears and Dishonoured are next priorities.

Newlove

Something I noticed is that Xbox really don't have much of a presence this year. Sony have a rather large section. I'm sure that will change next year with the Scorpio though. I didn't queue for any of the big games. Titanfall 2 was the pre-alpha tech test, which I've played already. I seen BF1 was the pre-alpha, a build which is a few months old now. Big queue for Gears 4. I played a couple of indie games, and played a few in the retro section where you can easily jump on an old console with none of those queues. I saw the Horizon demo on a PS4 Pro, looked nice with the colours and picture clarity. I felt like it was slightly scaled back this year and there wasn't anything I wanted to seriously jump at the chance of playing.

Oh and I also said hello to a GAF developer who made a thread last night about his game Dead of Day.

Seraphym

Been to them all so far.
Disappointed with no Nintendo this year especially as last year their stand was great fun.
Tend to use it as a meet up with friends and curry, but if the queues are as bad as last year I may take a punt on Gamescom in the future.
I would recommend that everyone visit the "indie" section and left field stuff.

Something I noticed is that Xbox really don't have much of a presence this year. Sony have a rather large section. I'm sure that will change next year with the Scorpio though. I didn't queue for any of the big games. Titanfall 2 was the pre-alpha tech test, which I've played already. I seen BF1 was the pre-alpha, a build which is a few months old now. Big queue for Gears 4. I played a couple of indie games, and played a few in the retro section where you can easily jump on an old console with none of those queues. I saw the Horizon demo on a PS4 Pro, looked nice with the colours and picture clarity. I felt like it was slightly scaled back this year and there wasn't anything I wanted to seriously jump at the chance of playing.

Oh and I also said hello to a GAF developer who made a thread last night about his game Dead of Day.

Appreciate you popping over to the game and saying hello, shame I didnt have more of the game to show, but thats the fun of indie development...lol.

Jezbollah

I along with three of my mates are going up there tomorrow afternoon, staying over two nights - spending the Saturday at the show (got early passes). Going to be plenty of games to be consumed, as well as plenty of booze and food.

Nice little mancation for us. Looking forward to it.

Chille

I am skipping egx this year, first time in 5 years but been way to busy too go with other things, which sucks.

MouldyK

Did you come by our booth and check it out? We had some Gaffers like iammikeside come by and say what's up. I'm the bald Asian guy at the booth, so hit me up. :)

Also, here's our EGX trailer for it: https://youtu.be/rxkBnIEG8Lc

Yeah! Got all 20 things at like 10:45am and earned myself a toy snake! You peeps were like "Have you got the shiny thing in the hole near the water?"...and I saw no hole there before haha.

Might return tomorrow to get a better handling of the grip mechanic and my friend asked if you could use Keyboard and Mouse for the controls, so gonna see that also.

Yeah! Got all 20 things at like 10:45am and earned myself a toy snake! You peeps were like "Have you got the shiny thing in the hole near the water?"...and I saw no hole there before haha.

Might return tomorrow to get a better handling of the grip mechanic and my friend asked if you could use Keyboard and Mouse for the controls, so gonna see that also.
Haha nice. Definitely say what's up if you can. Just ask for David. ^^
Zahra is really looking forward to giving it a go. We gonna ssssssnake it up, baby
Sssick. I'm sure she'll enjoy it! We'll be sure to block all the creepy cosplay zombies from the booth, haha.
I'll try and pop by Saturday and maybe Sunday lol. Looks interesting
Hope to see you there too!

Mideon

Snake Pass was awesome best game I played yesterday. Got helped through by a really cute girl who worked at the stand too which is always a bonus!

HT UK

What are the queues actually like this year then?

(Both in and outside the venue)

Spoilers:

p0qcqfM.jpg

MouldyK

Got helped through by a really cute girl who worked at the stand too which is always a bonus!

This is always a bonus, especially if they know their stuff haha.

There was a cute girl at the JCB Pioneers game booth who kept coming over to me when I got stuck and was like "Yeah, there's no tutorial yet!" and she never was there to help me.

It's 3rd on my list of games today after GT Sport and Snake Pass and she better help this time!

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
I don't know if anyone else does this, but when I go to things like this I tend to not play games that are out in the next couple of weeks - such as gears 4 - and concentrate on stuff that is a bit further out.

No point in queuing for 2 hours to play it when I know I'm getting it in the next fortnight.

I'll happily queue for 2 hours to play Sonic Mania again though.

MouldyK

No Nintendo this year? Kind of glad I skipped this year if so.

Nope, no Nintendo. Year off probably...but I wanted my Zelda!

But that also means no Nintendo Booth Girls who never know what they are presenting.

The only people I've seen more out of touch in gaming than Nintendo haha!

I don't know if anyone else does this, but when I go to things like this I tend to not play games that are out in the next couple of weeks - such as gears 4 - and concentrate on stuff that is a bit further out.

No point in queuing for 2 hours to play it when I know I'm getting it in the next fortnight.

I'll happily queue for 2 hours to play Sonic Mania again though.

Yeah this how I feel got invited to the COD beta yesterday so I'll happily wait.

Sparse

If anyone gets a chance, give Laser Disco Defenders and Living the Deal a go -- I think they're both in the general indie area, and LDD has (had?) coasters to give away!

Did you come by our booth and check it out? We had some Gaffers like iammikeside come by and say what's up. I'm the bald Asian guy at the booth, so hit me up. :)

Also, here's our EGX trailer for it: https://youtu.be/rxkBnIEG8Lc

Wishing I was going this year, cuz oh boy that looks fun.

PtKid

Banned
So far it hasn't been too bad with queues. I avoided the usual suspects like CoD, Final Fantasy XV, Titanfall 2 and Gears as queues are massive.

Everything else seems quite fast, even GT Sport with only 12 setups.

Massively disappointed I couldn't play Horizon as it has to be booked due to demand and all slots filled for today.

Seraphym

Queues brutal and just got worse after 11, Yooka-Laylee us awesome and what I saw of the Snake game looked great, the stand was very busy.
This year did feel like a very Sonycentric show, observation not a criticism.
Those of you going over the weekend enjoy!

Stuart444

So far it hasn't been too bad with queues. I avoided the usual suspects like CoD, Final Fantasy XV, Titanfall 2 and Gears as queues are massive.

Everything else seems quite fast, even GT Sport with only 12 setups.

Massively disappointed I couldn't play Horizon as it has to be booked due to demand and all slots filled for today.

Thanks for the warning about Horizon. My fiancee wants to give that a go.

Mob

Thanks for the warning about Horizon. My fiancee wants to give that a go.

As a further warning, the slots go fast and you don't sign up at the Horizon Stand (that would make too much sense).
Both yesterday and today the Horizon sign-ups were next to the PSVR sign-ups right at the front of the PlayStation area, by the big litup PlayStation symbols, circle, triangle, etc.
It's 2 people per unit when you do get in, 15 minutes for first person, then you switch for 15 minutes.

Mikeside

This year is a shitshow

Indies are great as ever, but you had to get here early to register to play Horizon. We tried at 11:15 and we're too late. Wtf.
Had to register ahead to play PS VR, which luckily I did. But still not cool.

Also, not many games there (aside from great indies) and the atmosphere was less upbeat and buzzing.

I'll come next year in hope it improves, but if it doesn't I think I'm done. Gamescom here I come, I guess.

Edit: Game of the show was easily Snake Pass. I thought it'd be a sort of shovelware between projects thing (sorry donkeyshow!) But it turned out to be the evolution of 3d character platformers a la Banjo Kazooie. And it plays smoother than Yooka (which was also fun)

Extra mention for Beasts of Balance, which somehow convinced my non game playing fiancée to spend £70 on an iPad party game. Will be great after dinner when we have people over.

Tesser

No Nintendo this year? Kind of glad I skipped this year if so.

Not necessarily an objectively bad thing. I'm glad I don't have to see a soft-play area - masquerading as Nintendo's booth - this year. Plus there's only so many times you can listen to an announcer screaming about random people winning..."A FREE SPLATOON T-SHIIIIIIIIRT!!" before you commit sudoku.

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
This year certainly soured me on the EGX experience, just seemed like there wasn't a lot there and what was there there wasn't much of.

Jezbollah

Got here, having a few beers right now at The World Bar. Can't wait to get going early doors tomorrow. Plenty of good stuff to see I hope.

Tesser

Got here, having a few beers right now at The World Bar. Can't wait to get going early doors tomorrow. Plenty of good stuff to see I hope.

I'll offer you a helpful heads-up - the Indie/Rezzed sections (to avoid the obvious choices) are your friends this year:

Snake Pass
Aragami
Dead Cells
Black The Fall
HoPiKo
Little Nightmares

Top Bottom