• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo Working on Unannounced Wii U Game [Update: Paper Mario]

JazzmanZ

If it is either:

1) Has any Miyamoto influence with that NSMB shit destroying all of the soul and creativity of the worlds and characters

2) Is an amiibo game like that horrible Animal Crossing amiibo Festival

I'm not interested. Sticker Star was bitterly, bitterly disappointing. It completely destroyed the franchise in my opinion.

Even though Paper Mario used to be one of my favorite franchises (A Thousand Year Door is one of my all-time favorite games), I refuse to give it a chance if it follows Nintendo's new development mantra.

Glad you were able to figure out the game on complete text alone.

Drago

I don't care until I see them go back to the classic Paper Mario format. The last Paper Mario game was garbage and I don't want another Super Paper Mario game, Nintendo has enough platformers, changing one of their RPGs into another platformer makes no sense.
SPM really isn't a platformer. It's more of a 2D adventure game with platforming and RPG elements, it plays absoutely nothing like a traditional Nintendo platformer.

How can one game ruin a franchise??? That's nonsensical and more importantly, utterly silly.

Other games by AlphaDream have also started to go in the NSMB direction.

Sticker Star started a trend in Mario RPGs and I fear that it will be another repeat of the NSMB style.

I would LOVE to be proven wrong on this. A return to form for Paper Mario would make me absolutely ecstatic.

Or Sticker Star lol.
that game was shown really early...

yeah, that gives me hope that it's near completion and is a 2016 title. If they announced both this and Paper Jam at E3, it could've taken attention from that game.
So hopefully the game has been in development for a while.

Technically, it's not really the same game - what was shown was scrapped, and a different Paper Mario game entered development.

Yup I remember that thread in here but then it died and nobody talked about it anymore. So it seems it's been in development for more than a year by now. Hope it's not a rushed title.
That's my only concern. If effort is put into it, it'll be cool for me regardless of the direction because I didn't really expect a full fledged new Wii U game.

Fat Goron

If it is either:

1) Has any Miyamoto influence with that NSMB shit destroying all of the soul and creativity of the worlds and characters

I'm not interested. Sticker Star was bitterly, bitterly disappointing. It completely destroyed the franchise in my opinion.

vQOgI3A.jpg

Neoxon

Could this rumor, if true, lend credence to the idea that the NX Handheld could launch first with the NX Console launching early next year? Originally, I was thinking that this could be the case for just Japan. But seeing as the 3DS is receiving less output from Nintendo this year (sans late localizations) than the Wii U, maybe this could mean that we should expect the NX Handheld first worldwide.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Probably won't be a concern. The Amiibo Festival/Federation Force/Triforce Heroes issue only occurred because Nintendo wanted those franchises to appear (again) on their respective systems but didn't have the resources to make full mainline games with everyone on board the NX train. But Intelligent Systems tends to support systems deep into their lifetimes so I imagine only their Rhythm team is on the NX already (and maybe Fire Emblem starting now). Getting a full Paper Mario game wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

RAWi

Oh god... I need a Nintendo Direct. I need release dates. I need trailers. I need screenshots.

Cmon! This is horrible D: Damn you leaks! Now I need something (But thank you leaks, now I know it is happening. Let it be as good as TTYD! Give me my partners. And bring back the Great Gonzalez!)

Neoxon

Probably won't be a concern. The Amiibo Festival/Federation Force/Triforce Heroes issue only occurred because Nintendo wanted those franchises to appear (again) on their respective systems but didn't have the resources to make full mainline games with everyone on board the NX train. But Intelligent Systems tends to support systems deep into their lifetimes so I imagine only their Rhythm team is on the NX already (and maybe Fire Emblem starting now). Getting a full Paper Mario game wouldn't be out of the ordinary.
The Fire Emblem team has been free since mid 2015.

mrmickfran

Intelligent Systems gets WORKED:

In the past few years:

Game & Wario
Fire Emblem Fates
Code Name S.T.E.A.M
Stretchmo
Pushmo World

and now this.

SPM really isn't a platformer. It's more of a 2D adventure game with platforming and RPG elements, it plays absoutely nothing like a traditional Nintendo platformer.

It is at its core a platformer. Nintendo's platformers play differently, Kirby doesn't play like DK but it doesn't change the fact that the last thing that Nintendo needs is another platformer franchise, especially at the expense of one of its RPG franchises.

RK128

yeah, that gives me hope that it's near completion and is a 2016 title. If they announced both this and Paper Jam at E3, it could've taken attention from that game.
So hopefully the game has been in development for a while.

I have a feeling this rumored Paper Mario game is releasing very shortly, like sometime in July or August.

Nintendo needs more games for the Wii U to tide people over before the NX launches this fall (if it does come out this year, which a lot points to being the case), so having Paper Mario Wii U being the big summer game (and closing things out in the summer with Mario & Sonic and #FE) is a good move.

I feel that Nintendo will announce this in a February Direct as one of the first announcements, stating "I'm sure you all enjoyed Paper Jam, a title released last month in NA and last fall in EU, but we have more for fans of Paper Mario in the works. Here is a new announcement that might make you all happy *Que Paper Mario U trailer*. This releases Summer 2016 and comes with Paper Mario Amiibo!"

The thing I'm at a complete loss over is WHAT this is going to play like. We all want it to be like TTYD or the original N64 game but what if its another Gimmick-filled installment like Super Paper Mario or Sticker Star? People will......not be happy, to put it lightly and it would end up being pointless to release a game that will get a lot of backlash toward. Nintendo dealt with this last E3 with Federation Force....they likely don't want to deal with that again.

My bet is that the following will happen for the series:
-Trailer of new Paper Mario Wii U game shown off at the start of February Direct
-Game is one of the following: Its like the original/TTYD or its like Sticker Star
-If its the former, game releases on Wii U in the Summer with amiibo
-If its the latter, game releases on Wii U in the Summer with amiibo....but TTYD comes to the Wii U and 3DS thanks to Grezzo and Monster Games making a port of the title for both platforms.
-Regardless of whatever happens, Super Paper Mario lands on the E-Shop

I'm going to be honest here, I really don't care about this announcement :l. I didn't hate Sticker Star, as it looked interesting from footage I saw online, but the original Paper Mario was amazing on my Wii (VC version) and I had a great time with Super Paper Mario. Seeing the series become so 'lifeless' with Sticker Star was sad, as it was one of the more creative series from Nintendo.

Will have an open mind for this announcement but honestly don't care about this until we start seeing footage of the game in action or a trailer.

I'm still mad at Nintendo for how they handled Sticker Star. Is it so wrong if I have no faith in Intelligent Systems this time around?

It's be bit wrong. Mainly because how they handled Sticker Star was a combination of misinterpretation of fan feedback (Club Nintendo surveys) and an older handheld gaming mentality (where story for handheld games that can be played any time is considered less important). A proper home console release currently would be free of that.

Could this rumor, if true, lend credence to the idea that the NX Handheld could launch first with the NX Console launching early next year? Originally, I was thinking that this could be the case for just Japan. But seeing as the 3DS is receiving less output from Nintendo this year (sans late localizations) than the Wii U, maybe this could mean that we should expect the NX Handheld first worldwide.

I was thinking this earlier. Maybe the handheld launches this year with the home console launching next year. That would avoid them cannabilizing HW sales? Something to at least consider.

KingBroly

Banned
I did and it was ok. Way worse than the Prime games but it doesn't make me hate Metroid or anything.

You said one game can't ruin a franchise. That is definitely one game that can, and did, ruin a franchise. It's not only possible, it's easy if you don't pull any punches.

I don't think Sticker Star did that for Paper Mario cuz Mario's really a different kinda beast.

FTF

This is fanart, not a screenshot.
But we could have something like this...

X605vD9.jpg

Goddamn. Sticker star looked incredible on its own. I can't wait to see how they realize the paper aesthetic on Wii U. Man.

Damn it, I don't think the game will live up to this and I think we're setting ourselves up for disappointment thinking it will look this good.

Hope the game turns out really well though.

TreIII

Maybe the Koopalings are your teammates. Maybe Mario and the Koopalings throw a coup d'état of the Koopa Kingdom to oust Bowser Jr.

Either that, or Bowser's been kidnapped/possessed by someone else, and so it's on Mario and the Koopalings to (grudgingly) work together to see the return of the Koopa patriarch.

Make Jr. the "Goombario", and go on down the line with making the others much more specialized in form and function. It'd be a return to the more "typical" Mario partners formula, but just using the Koopalings instead of Goombas, Troopas and etc., again.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

To be fair, if this rumor is indeed true, this brings up the total number of announced internally developed Nintendo retail titles slated for this year to two on Wii U (Zelda and Paper Mario; three if Pikmin 4 is a Wii U exclusive). I guess compared to 3DS, that's a lot (zero unless you count NLG as internal and the possible Pokémon Z), but 3DS also has more third party support and is less on first-party life support.

This isn't to say your idea is wrong. I just think that neither system has enough development resources going into it from Nintendo to suggest that they're keeping it around.

Neoxon

I was thinking this earlier. Maybe the handheld launches this year with the home console launching next year. That would avoid them cannabilizing HW sales? Something to at least consider.
Though my biggest fear with that scenario is that people would see the NX Console as a glorified Vita TV. But either way, it seems weird that a Paper Mario game is coming so late in the Wii U's life. Though I suppose Intelligent Systems is a bit like Game Freak in that they support older systems until the bitter end (something that grandjedi6 brought to my attention).

To be fair, if this rumor is indeed true, this brings up the total number of announced internally developed Nintendo retail titles slated for this year to two on Wii U (Zelda and Paper Mario; three if Pikmin 4 is a Wii U exclusive). I guess compared to 3DS, that's a lot (zero unless you count NLG as internal and the possible Pokémon Z), but 3DS also has more third party support and is less on first-party life support.

This isn't to say your idea is wrong. I just think that neither system has enough development resources going into it from Nintendo to suggest that they're keeping it around.
That's the thing. The 3DS is getting away with the lack of Nintendo support thanks to its Japanese third party support, which will likely linger for another year or two after the NX Platform launches (like with the DS when the 3DS dropped). Take that & the late localizations away & you have a similarly dire situation. And if this rumor is true, even the Wii U has it better in terms of Nintendo support.

RK128

Though my biggest fear with that scenario is that people would see the NX Console as a glorified Vita TV. But either way, it seems weird that a Paper Mario game is coming so late in the Wii U's life. Though I suppose Intelligent Systems is a bit like Game Freak in that they support older systems until the bitter end (something that grandjedi6 brought to my attention).

That really wouldn't be an issue; Nintendo handhelds are the ones that get the best overall support across first and third party. The console version just having better looking versions of the handheld games is not only ideal for many, but would be a nice way for Nintendo to do well; handheld is inexpensive (200 bucks) and console is slightly higher price wise (250+) but both play the same games at different specs.

I am more interested in future Nintendo handhelds then consoles as they always support the handhelds better. To me personally at least.

Neoxon

That really wouldn't be an issue; Nintendo handhelds are the ones that get the best overall support across first and third party. The console version just having better looking versions of the handheld games is not only ideal for many, but would be a nice way for Nintendo to do well; handheld is inexpensive (200 bucks) and console is slightly higher price wise (250+) but both play the same games at different specs.

I am more interested in future Nintendo handhelds then consoles as they always support the handhelds better. To me personally at least.
We'd understand that perfectly fine, but I'm more concerned about the average joe.

Malus

Damn it, I don't think the game will live up to this and I think we're setting ourselves up for disappointment thinking it will look this good.

Hope the game turns out really well though.

Just seems like Paper Mario with a bit more lighting and detail.

Here's hoping for a Kirby's Epic Yarn -> Woolly World leap.

AdanVC

That's my only concern. If effort is put into it, it'll be cool for me regardless of the direction because I didn't really expect a full fledged new Wii U game.

Games done by IS tend to be polished and have nice soundtracks so even if they implement some weird gimmicks to the gameplay like they did with Sticker, I'm sure it will be a decent one at least. Hope it looks pretty too.

How many teams does Intelligent Systems have?

Loads. In fact they recently moved into their own building so that's the reason they have been doing lot's of games recently.

intelligent_systems_building.jpg

RK128

We'd understand that perfectly fine, but I'm more concerned about the average joe.

That is Nintendo's issue to work out, not the consumers job. Nintendo could easily send a good message by saying "We are making two consoles; a handheld and a console but both play the same games! You buy the games on the handheld, which we are launching this November, you get cross-buy, save and play support with the console version!"

That works for Sony, so maybe it could work for Nintendo.

Neoxon

That is Nintendo's issue to work out, not the consumers job. Nintendo could easily send a good message by saying "We are making two consoles; a handheld and a console but both play the same games! You buy the games on the handheld, which we are launching this November, you get cross-buy, save and play support with the console version!"

That works for Sony, so maybe it could work for Nintendo.
I suppose you're right. But back on-topic...

Haven't played a Paper Mario since TTYD, hopefully this is a return to form.
Same here, though I did play Super Paper Mario.

RK128

So is this supposed to get an official reveal on monday?

No, originally this leak was supposed to be on Monday but Emily decided to spill the beans far earlier to avoid disappointing people (aka having people think for three days that the Wii U is getting Prime 4 or F-Zero).

Top Bottom