• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo Working on Unannounced Wii U Game [Update: Paper Mario]

Not at all. Emily Rogers had planned to spill the beans about this rumor on monday but they better did it today. We don't know when it's going to be oficially revealed : /

E3 will have the unveil of the NX and only show one game---Nintendogs.

The Wii U will only have Paper Mario(Zelda still not ready to be fully shown).

The 3DS will only have Federation Force.

Sagittal

Banned
If it is either:

1) Has any Miyamoto influence with that NSMB shit destroying all of the soul and creativity of the worlds and characters

2) Is an amiibo game like that horrible Animal Crossing amiibo Festival

I'm not interested. Sticker Star was bitterly, bitterly disappointing. It completely destroyed the franchise in my opinion.

Even though Paper Mario used to be one of my favorite franchises (A Thousand Year Door is one of my all-time favorite games), I refuse to give it a chance if it follows Nintendo's new development mantra.

The NSMB aesthetic needs to disappear fast, if I hear vapid brass instrumentals in Paper Mario U's trailer that will be it for me. Outside of Mario Kart 8, the Wii era has been synonymous with sleep inducing trumpet and saxophones scores. Coupled with the thought of Miyomoto trying to ruin the game at every corner, I can't help but feel very worried about a game I should be overjoyed for.

Chapter 1: Grass
Chapter 2: Desert
Chapter 3: Beach
Chapter 4: Jungle
Chapter 5: Mountain
Chapter 6: Snow
Chapter 7: Sky
Chapter 8: Lava

I can see it now.

AdanVC

E3 will have the unveil of the NX and only show one game---Nintendogs.

The Wii U will only have Paper Mario(Zelda still not ready to be fully shown).

The 3DS will only have Federation Force.

Nintendo leaves gaming business to go back to hotel love business in 2018 confirmed.

I can see it now.

image.php

Yeah hope they mix things up a bit this time : /

Sure it does.

If you don't pull your punches, you're going to make a mess of things. Why? Because you're not thinking about what you're doing, you're just punching.

You're not getting it and you are not understanding what RUINING and ENTIRE FRANCHISE means.

If any style of Metroid was done again and by Retro, everyone(or most) would be excited.

Mory Dunz

The NSMB aesthetic needs to disappear fast, if I hear vapid brass instrumentals in Paper Mario U's trailer that will be it for me. Outside of Mario Kart 8, the Wii era has been synonymous with sleep inducing trumpet and saxophones scores. Coupled with the thought of Miyomoto trying to ruin the game at every corner, I can't help but feel very worried about a game I should be overjoyed for.

Paper Mario's music has been the most consistent thing about the franchise. It's probably the one thing I'm not worried about.

KingBroly

Banned
You're not getting it and you are not understanding what RUINING and ENTIRE FRANCHISE means.

If any style of Metroid was done again and by Retro, everyone(or most) would be excited.

Other M ties itself into multiple games. Sticker Star is self-contained. So it's very easy to get excited for another one as long as the premise 'no fucking Sticker Star and probably no Super Paper Mario.'

If Retro made another Metroid game, as excited as a lot of people would be for it, the rules of the game have changed, and because Retro does not have that kind of clout at Nintendo, they would have to follow those new rules, whatever they may be. If that new Retro Metroid game had any ties to Other M at all, people would be as pissed as they were for Federation Force being announced.

Games done by IS tend to be polished and have nice soundtracks so even if they implement some weird gimmicks to the gameplay like they did with Sticker, I'm sure it will be a decent one at least. Hope it looks pretty too.

Loads. In fact they recently moved into their own building so that's the reason they have been doing lot's of games recently.

intelligent_systems_building.jpg

I knew they were big, but do we have an actual number of teams? Something I was thinking about the other day as well.

watershed

Banned

I can see it now.

I seriously hope they return to building an interesting world. Sticker Star was so bland in this regard even though the environments were really nice looking.

Was it not? If I recall, IS was working on Paper Mario, but Miyamoto felt that it rehashed TTYD too much and they had to start again, which is what set them back so far.
The initial reveal already had stickers, so it wasn't the original TTYD esque version they showed Miyamoto. Partners made it through the initial change to sticker gameplay but were dropped when they couldn't make them properly fit in the battle system. The initial reveal seems to be their first go at the changed gameplay before stripping down the characters and settings even further.

killroy87

I'll wait and see to get excited. This has the potential to be incredible (if they bring it back to the RPG roots of the first two) or really disappointing (if they do anything else)

I initially said "destroyed the franchise," not "irreparably ruined it." Obviously if Nintendo returns to form at any point it would always make people (especially me) really happy. Previous beloved titles never cease to exist. They always hold fond memories in our hearts and building on their creativity would revive that goodwill.

By "destroyed" I mean that Sticker Star:

A) Garnered a lot of negativity towards the Paper Mario franchise

2) Started a nasty trend where Mario RPGs have started to become NSMB-influenced and increasingly soulless in the process

I played Paper Mario FOR THOSE characters and the fascinating worlds and the whole experience oozing with charm. The Mario universe is a fantastic setting for a game but bashing our skulls in with the same exact fucking thing over and over and over with NSMB influences has been my biggest disappointment with Nintendo to date.

A massive universe filled with opportunities.

But what do we get instead? This:

I can see it now.

For me, that's the essence of "destroying" my favorite RPG franchise.

Mmmm cautiously optimistic.

The fact that Paper Jam is continuing with the "Mario characters only" philosophy doesn't bode well, but we will see.

udivision

Mmmm cautiously optimistic.

The fact that Paper Jam is continuing with the "Mario characters only" philosophy doesn't bode well, but we will see.

Even sticking with established Mario characters can be okay (not preferred though) if you're allowed to be creative? I didn't really care about the piantas introduced in Sunshine (well, I didn't really like them to be honest) but I felt like they were redeemed in TTYD when the writers used them as a shady mafia. That kind of stuff adds flavor to the world.

Mory Dunz

I initially said "destroyed the franchise," not "irreparably ruined it." Obviously if Nintendo returns to form at any point it would always make people (especially me) really happy. Previous beloved titles never cease to exist. They always hold fond memories in our hearts and building on their creativity would revive that goodwill.

By "destroyed" I mean that Sticker Star:

A) Garnered a lot of negativity towards the Paper Mario franchise

2) Started a nasty trend where Mario RPGs have started to become NSMB-influenced and increasingly soulless in the process

I played Paper Mario FOR THOSE characters and the fascinating worlds and the whole experience oozing with charm. The Mario universe is a fantastic setting for a game but bashing our skulls in with the same exact fucking thing over and over and over with NSMB influences has been my biggest disappointment with Nintendo to date.

A massive universe filled with opportunities.

But what do we get instead? This:

For me, that's the essence of "destroying" my favorite RPG franchise.

more of the "other" environments please:

Oh yeah, I forgot that Sticker Star also completely redesigned nearly every enemy to look more like their NSMB designs. So even if it's a return to gameplay form, the best Boo design ever is gone, for instance...
qkwmg1j.jpg

stuck with these things:
CKZoLUP.png

Fuckin' Sticker Star.

udivision

Oh yeah, I forgot that Sticker Star also completely redesigned nearly every enemy to look more like their NSMB designs. So even if it's a return to gameplay form, the best Boo design ever is gone, for instance...
qkwmg1j.jpg

stuck with these things:
CKZoLUP.png

Fuckin' Sticker Star.

Some NSMB designs are better. This is not one of them, sheesh.

Overside

Banned
get out.

edit:
wait, it says Paper Mario in the title. I don't get the gif...

Because when I first saw the thread, it didn't, and there was still hope it could have been anything else.

Whoopee, another entry in a series with no shortage of consecutively worse recent entries. On the damn Wii u now instead of the 3ds. Its not like there aren't completely neglected franchises that couldn't make hella better use out of the Wii u's power over the 3ds then paper Mario.

Because when I first saw the thread, it didn't, and there was still hope it could have been anything else.

Whoopee, another entry in a series with no shortage of consecutively worse recent entries. On the damn Wii u now instead of the 3ds. Its not like there aren't completely neglected franchises that couldn't make hella better use out of the Wii u's power over the 3ds then paper Mario.

You really think spending a lot of money on the Wii U at this point is smart and realistic???

Sagittal

Banned
Paper Mario's music has been the most consistent thing about the franchise. It's probably the one thing I'm not worried about.

My aforementioned issue crept its way into Sticker Star on various occasions:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQVi2HW1JOQ&list=PL6akIKaXBeU2Z8r3Gm2kaI5Q6Emz0DRkc&index=31

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmEay7Ys83g

just of the top of my head

You mean that thing that sells more than any other version of mario?

Ah yes, that 'thing' that Nintendo pumps out every so often in place of ambitious titles as to avoid risk and to inflate the appearance of their line-up. NSMB started well but seems to have become a filler series that people buy because there just isn't any other decent Mario title around. And of course, sales equals quality.

I leave for a few hours and this happens? Fantastic news, I love the Paper Mario series (yes, even Sticker Star, IDGAF) and this would be a great farewell to an unsuccessful but truly amazing console.

It's funny how if this ends up as a traditional Paper Mario title every entry in the series will be shoehorned into the end of the respective consoles life cycle. Both Paper Mario 1 and 2 were destined for mediocre success with the death of their systems.

The NSMB games get progressively better as they make more. They're hardly padding. Level design in particular is far above anything from the NES or SNES era.

Even sticking with established Mario characters can be okay (not preferred though) if you're allowed to be creative? I didn't really care about the piantas introduced in Sunshine (well, I didn't really like them to be honest) but I felt like they were redeemed in TTYD when the writers used them as a shady mafia. That kind of stuff adds flavor to the world.

Well I said characters, but it flows over into the world themes and the like as well. I don't want my RPG to just go with the predictable Mario world themes.

Top Bottom