• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo Working on Unannounced Wii U Game [Update: Paper Mario]

Anth0ny

Eh... Everything that's supposed to come out to wii u now just has me feeling it should be on NX. Oh well, I can't blame Nintendo's commitment to give their current consoles SOMETHING

Between Pokken, Star Fox, SMTxFE and Zelda, I think this is a decent final year for Wii U as it is.

Announcing a new Wii U exclusive game this late would be crazy to me. Should be cross gen, at least. Unless it's just a Mario Party or Kirby sidescroller that they shit out to fill in their release schedule.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
After much deliberation I've come to the only logical conclusion the wiiU title nintendo are surely working on is Geist 2.

Vena

Between Pokken, Star Fox, SMTxFE and Zelda, I think this is a decent final year for Wii U as it is.

Announcing a new Wii U exclusive game this late would be crazy to me. Should be cross gen, at least. Unless it's just a Mario Party or Kirby sidescroller that they shit out to fill in their release schedule.

You take that back! Heartless monster...

Neoxon

It's too soon after Mario Party 10, but it could be a Kirby sidescroller.

If it's Next Level Games doing Strikers Charged U or whatever, I hope that there's a much more robust season mode, maybe with tables and relegation across a set amount of seasons like five or ten.

KingBroly

Banned

It wouldn't be a main seller, I'd think.

Another 'oh, that's nice to have' kinda games. Probably one step above NSMB for most people.

Metroid Party for Wii U. Ridley's not too big to join in on the fun!

I think this would be super cool but I still am not convinced it will ever happen. I understand translating the controls to dual stick analog would be useful but I also think it would decrease precision vs. what you can get with the stylus. If you could still use the stylus for the Wii U version, it would defeat the purpose of remastering the game since you'd be looking at the GamePad so much. It's also hard to see how you'd be able to appreciate the ongoing story as well if you had to look all the way down at the GamePad to all the facial expressions of the characters that were normally on the lower 3DS screen.

There's always other ways to get the game working perfectly.

Put the character portraits and subtitles on the tv like in Smash Wii U's Guidances

Make it where the bottom screen is only the aiming screen, it's not like you're going to look at the gamepad often

Put the icons for the power ups on the up left part of the screen, underneath the health bar.

Map other icons like exit the exo tank to a button

Give me Wiimote aim or bust.

fhqwhgads

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Wii U Animal Crossing, long lasting games have worked wonders for the system (Mario Kart and Smash DLC, Splatoon and Mario Maker updates) so a game like Animal Crossing is right up that alley.

Malus

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Wii U Animal Crossing, long lasting games have worked wonders for the system (Mario Kart and Smash DLC, Splatoon and Mario Maker updates) so a game like Animal Crossing is right up that alley.

Aw shit let's go. Didn't play New Leaf.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Looking forward to it, could be really small and on the eShop like Pushmo or Boxboy though instead of something larger, unfortunately.

Neoxon

There's always other ways to get the game working perfectly.

Put the character portraits and subtitles on the tv like in Smash Wii U's Guidances

Make it where the bottom screen is only the aiming screen, it's not like you're going to look at the gamepad often

Put the icons for the power ups on the up left part of the screen, underneath the health bar.

Map other icons like exit the exo tank to a button

Give me Wiimote aim or bust.
You could also go the Splatoon route with aiming accurately via motion controls if you wanted to.

atom519

I would love to see a Luigi's Mansion or Punch Out title be announced. I would rather they push Pikmin 4 to NX launch since we already had one this gen.

I bet it's a western game.

Tamaki for one has constantly gotten stuff on the western-end. I don't think he's really covered any developments from a Japanese team.

This means the game is by:

- Retro Studios
- NST
- Next Level Games
- Monster Games

If we're only considering 1st and 2nd party teams.

NST can be ruled out as they're extremely low-priority and this is not an eShop game.

Next Level Games is very busy with Federation Force, and especially after the utter disastrous reaction at E3, I think they're even busier trying to make sure it rocks our world. So too busy for a Wii U game right now.

Retro I feel if they're on a major new game (they are obviously), it'll be for NX, hopefully ASAP.

That leaves Monster. Who've done nothing but Wii -> 3DS ports since Excitebike World Rally. Yes, that includes Pilotwings Resort, which was just a glorified Wii Sports Resort: Airplane port.

They've been CONSTANTLY rumored to be working on Diddy Kong Racing 2 for Wii U, and Retro has also been rumored to be helping out (makes sense since Monster Games is tiny).

So unless this game is by a western dev not listed and hence would be a surprise western 3rd-party collab published by Nintendo, it has to be one of the above. And DKR is a franchise with fans obviously.

My two cents.

cyba89

Eh... Everything that's supposed to come out to wii u now just has me feeling it should be on NX.

Why? What's wrong with supporting a console until the end of its lifecycle?
NX isn't out for almost another year (or maybe longer) and people still want to play games on their WiiU.

Isn't Nintendo regulary being criticized for dropping support for their plattforms too soon? And Sony got praised for supporting their platforms with big titles for a long time.

Scum

Advance Wars.
1080 Snowboarding.
F Zero.

I have no idea why it's being held for a few days. Maybe to sure up sources. Since I wasn't the one with the initial inquiry, I'll respect the self-imposed embargo.

Also I won't sit here and tease because that's dumb.
Damn it! Why do you have to be sensible about it? :<

Most likely bets for this are it being one of the following:
-New Donkey Kong Game; 2D or 3D platformer/Diddy Kong Racing 2
-HD Remaster of a Mario Series game (Sunshine, TTYD, Luigi's Mansion)
-Pikmin 4
-Eternal Darkness HD
-F-Zero GX HD

Edit: Also willing to bet a new Animal Crossing and Kirby game might be on the table for Wii U, mainly if the NX is coming out in 2017.

Definitely think something along these lines. Not a big gun like 3D Mario or Metroid, those will be saved for the NX. I would really love Luigi's Mansion, either an HD remaster (never played the Gamecube version) or a new one.

Banned
Fire Emblem Radiance Collection. To hop on the FE hype train and milk it as much as possible with the smash representation, the FE Fates, the amiibos and #FE.
Pikmin 4 seems like a safe bet. I hope this is it, with a possible NX version on the cards.
Pikmin 4 was already announced being worked on by Miyamoto though. This game hasn't even been mentioned.

If you really want to know what game would be, just think about your favorite Nintendo franchise that desserves a comeback or a sequel and then just imagine a weird spin-off game of that franchise that nobody asked for and that would be the game they will announce since that's the only reasonable types of games they could still bring to Wii U at this point. So yeah expectations pretty low over here.

Oh god it's Punch-Out Puzzle Fighter

Vena

Advance Wars.
1080 Snowboarding.
F Zero.

Shit. I too would love an Advanced Wars game featuring 1080-degree snowboarding sections and some F-Zero style/speed combat. What a great idea!

Now hopefully the characters can also shout "BOOST POWER!" at every opportunity.

Top Bottom