• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - PS4 and Xbox One in 2015 review

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PS4 is being carried by multiplats and Bloodborne. Yes Bloodborne is the highest rated exclusive and a great one at that but it is just one title. Since launch, Bloodborne is the only big name title that really is worth shouting about on the PS4.

Others are all forgettable experiences including Infamous;SS, The order, Driveclub, LBP3 etc.

'Barely moving the needle in terms of sales isn't a good metric when Eurogamer are talking about quality. You use the metric interchangeably.

Bloodborne. That's it. That's the only big AAA title I see worthy of mention. In that regard, Eurogamer are spot on imo.

And yet Everybody's Gone to the Rapture made their Games of the Year list.

But no, my point - perhaps poorly presented - was that multiplatform games are "carrying" both consoles. Star Wars Battlefront, Call of Duty: Black Ops III, and Fallout 4 are selling systems this holiday - not Bloodborne, Halo 5, Uncharted Collection, or Rise of the Tomb Raider.

nib95

Banned
You'd think so with folks going wild on the knack requests for PS plus each month. Seems like I missed out on one of the top games ever.

I think that's just a meme or joke at this point. Not sure people actually regard Knack as a super high quality title, but I could be wrong.

Completely agree with you! Love the Nacho Libre avatar guy's comments about games being memorable and not, though! :D

The problem with some people on GAF is they fail to take a step outside of hardcore land and see what the big picture is. Slamming Sony for no "memorable" games is stupid. They don't care. They had exclusive marketing for COD, Destiny and Battlefront.

That is what sells consoles and pushes software.

Nameless

Bloodborne, The Order : 1886, MLB 15, Tearaway Unfolded, Dragon Quest Heroes, Tales of Zestiria, Disgaea 5, Nathan Drake Collection, Until Dawn, Toukiden Kiwami, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture...

Fine by me!

Throw in Galak Z, Talos Principle, Axiom Verge, SOMA, N++, Volume, Fat Princess, and Hell Divers on the console exclusive front. 2015 was pretty amazing, especially if you value consoles for more than just 1st party retail exclusives.

tzare

The PS4 is being carried by multiplats and Bloodborne. Yes Bloodborne is the highest rated exclusive and a great one at that but it is just one title. Since launch, Bloodborne is the only big name title that really is worth shouting about on the PS4.

Others are all forgettable experiences including Infamous;SS, The order, Driveclub, LBP3 etc.

'Barely moving the needle in terms of sales isn't a good metric when Eurogamer are talking about quality. You use the metric interchangeably.

Bloodborne. That's it. That's the only big AAA title I see worthy of mention. In that regard, Eurogamer are spot on imo.

Most platforms, except Nintendo maybe (and we can see how does that mean in console sales), are carried by multiplatform games. So those are games to play on PS4 or XBO or PC. Exclusives are icing on the cake, and i really think the sony approach focusing on not million seller games or niche/experimental ones is much better that just adding another 'AAA' FPS to the huge list.

And consider Driveclub forgetable..... well, forgetable are most MS exclusives then too including Forza and Sunset Overdrive

Hasney

Tell me this isn't true.

It is, of course it is. Wii U shat the bed and Knack was bundled heavily with PS4 at launch when they were mostly out of stock.

I got a Knack bundle as it's the one I found closest to me. Pretty fun game, but obviously not as 3D World level. After buying Killzone later, MUCH happier that was the bundle I found as Killzone was a little poo.

Mr Git

Number one hasn't been revealed yet. IIRC Bloodborne 'only' got a recommended, so Sunless Sea now seems just as possible (or more likely as they often follow Simon Parkins number one).

Also, 'best version' is not a real argument.

It got an essential, as did Old Hunters.

Throw in Galak Z, Talos Principle, Axiom Verge, SOMA, N++, Volume, Fat Princess, and Hell Divers on the console exclusive front. 2015 was pretty amazing, especially if you value consoles for more than just 1st party retail exclusives.

Buuuut they aren't AAA like Rise of the tomb raider therefore they don't count.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Exactly!! Rise of the tomb raider being a good example right?

The Market leader will always get unwarranted hate and people will make any excuse under the sun to put it down. The market has spoken and they want the PS4. As evident from GOTY lists, Sony are doing everything right. 3rd party games run better on the PS4 and their exclusive games are getting better reception than their counterparts.

The usual excuse is "But the PS4 has no 1st party games"

100% wrong but Sony and the general consumer don't give a shit. They are selling more 3rd party games and consoles than Microsoft.

Next year is going to be a bloodbath

There will only be a bloodbath in the minds of console warriors. Most people will buy the games they like for the consoles they own and life will go on.

There's really no need to defend the PS4 so heavily. It's clear people want it and are buying it. Keyboard warriors are not a threat to PS4.

True Fire

So they are saying ps4 got lucky on good sales and needs to deliver on promises in 2016?

Whut

They know perfectly well what's releasing for PS4 in 2016. They're just playing Nostrodamus.

Year end reviews are so mindless. 2016 is tomorrow, not a year from now. We know what tomorrow is going to look like. Make predictions for where Sony and Microsoft will stand in 2017, which would make for a far more interesting debate.

Eurogamer's top 10 game of the year list is as follows:

1. Bloodborne (PS4 exclusive)
2. Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain (PS4, best console version)
3. Splatoon
4. Rocket League (PS4 console exclusive)
5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4, best console version)
6. Her Story
7. Invisible, Inc. (coming soon to PS4)
8. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
9. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4 exclusive)
10. Life is Strange (PS4, best console version)

6 PS4 games, 3 exclusive.
3 Xbox games, 0 exclusives.
Lol at counting multiplats because PS4 is the best version. Xbox versions are still good. Witcher 3 had worse performance on PS4 for months.

Elandyll

Banned
The way I see it, it's again about the story of a company that got it so wrong they had to reinvent their product and work hard at it, while the other got it right from the start and continued working normally on its own trajectory with a few hiccups on the way (Order panned, DC server problems, some delays).
The first one is getting lauded for trying hard, while the other is "coasting" for getting it right (though not perfect, but nothing is).

Classic.

Most platforms, except Nintendo maybe (and we can see how does that mean in console sales), are carried by multiplatform games. So those are games to play on PS4 or XBO or PC. Exclusives are icing on the cake, and i really think the sony approach focusing on not million seller games or niche/experimental ones is much better that just adding another 'AAA' FPS to the huge list.

And consider Driveclub forgetable..... well, forgetable are most MS exclusives then too

I agree with you, but Sony still does plunk money down on niche and experimental games. Tomorrow Children, Rime (which has no combat), and rebooting Hardware Rivals and sending out a Diablo Fat Princess game still cater to the niches. And promotional wise, they mention that stuff quite heavily on their PS Blog and social media accounts, so it's not sent to die completely.

At least when something strikes gold, they seem to be more apt to notice and continue with it. I feel like MS does a great job of curating what does well and making sure it survives, in most cases.

EBreda

Sony's first party efforts have been lackluster so far, so yes, I agree with the article.

MS has been releasing quality first party games for 2 years now, while Sony has been relying on 3rd party only (some exclusives, but 3rd party nonetheless).

2016 seems to be a pretty big year for Sony's internal studios, so it's pretty sure next year's article is gonna be different. Hopefully.

The problem with some people on GAF is they fail to take a step outside of hardcore land and see what the big picture is. Slamming Sony for no "memorable" games is stupid. They don't care. They had exclusive marketing for COD, Destiny and Battlefront.

That is what sells consoles and pushes software.

Exactly, multiplats carry a console(s) and that it is a fact which can not be disputed!

Little Timmy begged his mom a whole year so he can join the CoD and BattleFront multiplayer madness and when his mom got to the store, she got him either X1 or PS4 with the said game!

Still laughing at the luchador comment, though! :D Memorable oh boy! :D

Zemm

3. Splatoon
6. Her Story

How riled were you by this article that you had to make that list? Haha.

Sony's first party efforts have been lackluster so far, so yes, I agree with the article.

MS has been releasing quality first party games for 2 years now, while Sony has been relying on 3rd party only (some exclusives, but 3rd party nonetheless).

2016 seems to be a pretty big year for Sony's internal studios, so it's pretty sure next year's article is gonna be different. Hopefully.
What first party games? Most X1 exclusives so far are third party. There's Halo, Forza and what else? There's KI, forgot about that and Rare Replay/Gears HD but that's about all I can recall.

Opinions.

For me I preferred the exclusives that came out on the Xbox One.

Microsoft had some great exclusives around the end of the Year:
Tomb Raider, Halo 5, Forza, Gears of War remaster, Rare Replay (which was more Summer) ori and the blind forest whereas all I remember the PS4 having is Uncharted collection.

And there was backwards compatibility which is also a neat feature to have.

Over the course of the year both have underperformed, that's the bottom line!

I expect good things for next year on both consoles.

3. Splatoon
6. Her Story

I find the "best version" and "coming soon" parts very amusing.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Opinions.

Microsoft had some great exclusives around the end of the Year:
Tomb Raider, Halo 5, Forza, Gears of War remaster, Rare Replay (which was more Summer) ori and the blind forest whereas all I remember the PS4 having is Uncharted collection.

You have a bad memory.

There will only be a bloodbath in the minds of console warriors. Most people will buy the games they like for the consoles they own and life will go on.

There's really no need to defend the PS4 so heavily. It's clear people want it and are buying it. Keyboard warriors are not a threat to PS4.

Console warriors and keyboard warriors? No need for that TBH.

I am not defending the PS4, there is no need to. It is the people defending the Xbox one and thus trying to put the PS4 in a bad light that is the issue.

I see the same comment all the time about the Xbox one.

"This is all Don Matricks fault" " the reason the Xbox is selling so bad is because of the initial message"

Was the rise of the tomb raider deal due to the Don Matrick or the initial message? No it wasn't.

The deal was made on Spencer's watch

leeh

Console warriors and keyboard warriors? No need for that TBH.

I am not defending the PS4, there is no need to. It is the people defending the Xbox one and thus trying to put the PS4 in a bad that is the issue.

I see the same comment all the time about the Xbox one.

"This is all Don Matricks fault" " the reason the Xbox is selling so bad is because of the initial message"

Was the rise of the tomb raider deal due to the Don Matrick or the initial message? No it wasn't.

The deal was made on Spencer's watch
How do you know? That contract could of been signed before the console even got announced.

Angel_DvA

It was a good year for Sony because I've never played old franchise like Uncharted or else and I could do it with remastered edition, Bloodborne was amazing and Until Dawn was a surprise hit but if you owned a PS3 at the time, it's a poor year in westerner AAA blockbuster type for Sony.

The Xbox One had nothing until the end of the year, forza is still great, Halo 5 was the most disappointing game of 2015 for me but Gears of War UE was the best game on Xbox this year, 2016 looks more interesting than 2015 for me with Scalebound, Quantum break and Gears 4, we'll see.

I'm waiting for more from both of them for 2016, I think the 3rd parties were the one who delivered the most this year with Witcher 3, MGSV, TRR, BO3, Destiny TKK etc...

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
How riled were you by this article that you had to make that list? Haha.
How is looking at Eurogamer's year in review to what they say in this article in any way shape or form about being riled up?

It's not different from calling them out when they give high scores to games and then call them shit at the end of the year. It's about consistency. The only consistency they have is trying to get the clicks.

But yeah, as ReBurn says the keyboard warriors are no threat to the PS4 nor will they help the Xbox One. As sobering as that is, these applied lenses don't change anything.

leeh

How is looking at Eurogamer's year in review to what they say in this article in any way shape or form about being riled up?

It's not different from calling them out when they give high scores to games and then call them shit at the end of the year. It's about consistency. The only consistency they have is trying to get the clicks.

But yeah, as ReBurn says the keyboard warriors are no threat to the PS4 nor will they help the Xbox One. As sobering as that is, these applied lenses don't change anything.
How have they been inconsistent?

mj-thriller-popcorn-o.gif

Lol.

At least I'm finding lots of new extremists to add to the ignore list.

oSoLucky

It seems these sort of opinions keep adding limiting adjectives until it fits their conclusion. Big, AAA, retail, exclusive, etc. are pointless since 3rd parties do exist and dominate no matter what.

GnawtyDog

Banned

You do have to wonder why companies still invest in turfers...they must surely be seeing some data that suggest it's worth spending x amount on them. Mods have caught them here but in forums with light moderation, they're overrun if they're worth a cent.

How do you know? That contract could of been signed before the console even got announced.

Well one thing is for sure, Spencer was on board with Matrick when the whole original x1 concept blew in their faces! So any way, Spencer has a lot to do with the shitty decisions made at the xbox division!

leeh

Then don't blame the Xbox mess on one man! The excuses are incredible
What? Did I? I'm talking about speaking factually regarding RoTR when we don't know anything about how it went down.
Well one thing is for sure, Spencer was on board with Matrick when the whole original x1 concept blew in their faces! So any way, Spencer has a lot to do with the shitty decisions made at the xbox division!
He was probably just nodding along to his superiors. The fact that Dom left and Phil took over shows that he probably doesn't share the same ideology as him.

Zemm

"best console version" and "coming soon to PS4" is definitely the sign of a man whose jimmies have been rustled.

sono

Invisible, Inc is supposed to be coming to PS4 in 2016. So not sure how this helps the 2015 debate, unless you are saying that PS4 2015 lineup includes 2016 releases - so why not include more ?

After he set the fasted lap in qualifying, his racing engineer asked Juan Manuel Fangio if his car's setup could be improved before the race. Fangio then just asked "why, wasn't I fast enough?".

Same applies for PS4. It sold like crazy, dominated the competition, it had crazy marketing deals, it had a proper price dumb. If you outsell your next competitor 2:1 you don't have to ask yourself what you did wrong.

I think both of the consoles were lackluster outside Bloodborne release on ps4. I think 2016 will be the best year for both of them.

Pop

Multiplatform games don't count; you know that. Neither do digital games, Japanese games, third party exclusives unless published first party and anything released outside of September through November

I guess PS4 really has no games then.

Srs though it's pretty crazy how some view which games are important and which ones aren't.

What? Did I? I'm talking about speaking factually regarding RoTR when we don't know anything about how it went down.

I am guessing the deal was more reactionary when the PS4 started outselling the Xbox one and Uncharted 5 was announced. There was no reason to make it exclusive if it was the opposite way around

leeh

I am guessing the deal was more reactionary when the PS4 started outselling the Xbox one and Uncharted 5 was announced. There was no reason to make it exclusive if it was the opposite way around
It sure could of been, and yeah, definitely. It also could of been SE/CD who reached out to MS, not the other way round.

Chobel

Please! The contract was signed after E3 2014, otherwise MS would have announced the game being exclusive right at the reveal (E3 2014)

It sure could of been, and yeah, definitely. It also could of been SE/CD who reached out to MS, not the other way round.

The rumor is MS approached SE with the help of CD.

keidashxd

First things first, I'm an Xbox fan, second: I do have a ps4 (and a WiiU).

I don't think we can limit the list only by games, Xbox One has offered not only a bunch of exclusive titles (Halo 5, Forza 6, GoW, Rare Replay...)... it has the EA Access, it has a new expensive but absolutely awesome toy called Elite controller, it has launched a free backwards compatibility which works more or less... Not everything is perfect, they could be better but at least they're trying... I don't see Sony even trying to improve their service for example. Don't get me wrong 2016 is gonna be awesome with more games than I can play on both systems but this year Xbox One has brought me more joy than ps4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom