• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - PS4 and Xbox One in 2015 review

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEaMkb

Not Sony's greatest year...

Bloodborne
MLB 15: The Show
Helldivers
The Order: 1886
Tearaway Unfolded
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Guns Up!
LittleBigPlanet 3
Until Dawn

...but not bad either.

Perhaps if Sony released everything they had during Q4, these end-of-year reports wouldn't sound so negative :p

leeh

Please! The contract was signed after E3 2014, otherwise MS would have announced the game being exclusive right at the reveal (E3 2014)
You don't know that, they may of just pushed it back simply due to show schedulings and timings of different material to use. Too many factors to be definitive.

EGM1966

Western media really loves the "PS4 somehow sells despite lazy Sony while MS and XB1 deserves forgiveness because look at all the innovation and effort".

I suspect its more of a common reaction to a fairly boring situation and a clearly attempt to drive views/clicks than anything else but it sure is getting boring itself as a narrative.

I wish one of the gaming sites would actually fess up that in fact only a niche care about exclusives, majority of market just wants to pick console that plays big multi-platforms best and that's that. Given PS4 by default delivers on that the gen is done. MS exclusives and innovation won't change that trend and yes it also means Sony don't have to rush out the exclusives either.

XB1 lost the gen - in hindsight - the moment it had lower specs than PS4. Other factors played into it: horrible XB1 reveal and all the 180s made it easy for Sony for example. But ongoing majority are going to gravitate to console they perceive runs big games better and every time something like Battlefront releases with a resolution advantage for PS4 the status quo is confirmed and the gen's trends continue unaltered.

It's kind of dull but that's the market reality. Not gonna generate a lot of interest and reading of articles I admit!

I guess PS4 really has no games then.

Srs though it's pretty crazy how some view which games are important and which ones aren't.

I sorta get where people come from, to a point. Like, if you only play AAA games, or one particular genre exclusive to that console, then you might feel slighted, I guess? But those who partake in a wider range of taste have much more to play and experience.

I imported a game that was on both the PS4 and PS3. Because of that, it doesn't make it exclusive, and because it's an import, it largely goes ignored to the rest of the community. Despite all that, it was the best fucking game I played all year.

Sane goes for a console's worth. I don't care about BC, but others probably do. So therefore, the Xbox One offers them a pretty damn good value, but that gets panned too.

I think people lack perspective and a wider image of things. These reviews are useless because they are too narrow in scope and largely depend on personal taste.

But the true issue comes from the refusal to gain that perspective and just have a lists war back and forth for validation. Just enjoy video games, man.

Console warriors and keyboard warriors? No need for that TBH.

I am not defending the PS4, there is no need to. It is the people defending the Xbox one and thus trying to put the PS4 in a bad light that is the issue.

I see the same comment all the time about the Xbox one.

"This is all Don Matricks fault" " the reason the Xbox is selling so bad is because of the initial message"

Was the rise of the tomb raider deal due to the Don Matrick or the initial message? No it wasn't.

The deal was made on Spencer's watch

What was wrong with the Rise of Tomb Raider deal?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I am guessing the deal was more reactionary when the PS4 started outselling the Xbox one and Uncharted 5 was announced. There was no reason to make it exclusive if it was the opposite way around

It really doesn't matter why. Timed exclusives have always been a thing. Microsoft likely saw it as an opportunity to snag some console sales by having a game that people wanted only be available on their platform. It's normal and these companies do it all the time. It's not a conspiracy or anything.

Reactionary is probably a bad word for this kind of decision. The word is strategic. Not all strategy is sound and I'm willing to bet that Microsoft lost money on the deal. But I'm also guessing that at least some people bought an Xbox in order to play the game, though probably not as many as Microsoft hoped would.

Sadist

*reads the PS4 article*

Seems... pretty reasonable right? I can't help but agree. After the release of the PS4 its somewhat strange to see how succesful the machine is. Well sure, Wii U failed to recapture earlier succes and Xbox One made an awful first impression, but when you look at it rationally Sony made a bunch of promises and two years later we're still waiting. Sure 2016 looks great, but lets be honest, it's time to finally deliver right? Third party software is more than okay, but in terms of first party software I can understand why Eurogamer is pointing out that particular output. Eurogamer are enthousiasts like us and they are a bit underwhelmed by Sony. What's so weird about that?

And honestly, on several sites I still more and more people complaining about the value of PlayStation Plus.

They might be the king right now, but there is always room for improvement.

GHG

Western media really loves the "PS4 somehow sells despite lazy Sony while MS and XB1 deserves forgiveness because look at all the innovation and effort".

I suspect its more of a common reaction to a fairly boring situation and a clearly attempt to drive views/clicks than anything else but it sure is getting boring itself as a narrative.

I wish one of the gaming sites would actually fess up that in fact only a niche care about exclusives, majority of market just wants to pick console that plays big multi-platforms best and that's that. Given PS4 by default delivers on that the gen is done. MS exclusives and innovation won't change that trend and yes it also means Sony don't have to rush out the exclusives either.

XB1 lost the gen - in hindsight - the moment it had lower specs than PS4. Other factors played into it: horrible XB1 reveal and all the 180s made it easy for Sony for example. But ongoing majority are going to gravitate to console they perceive runs big games better and every time something like Battlefront releases with a resolution advantage for PS4 the status quo is confirmed and the gen's trends continue unaltered.

It's kind of dull but that's the market reality. Not gonna generate a lot of interest and reading of articles I admit!

The "effort over efficiency" narrative is a common theme in all walks of western society.

It's baffling really. Got to appear to be "busy"' all the time, if not you are seen to be doing nothing at all.

He was probably just nodding along to his superiors. The fact that Dom left and Phil took over shows that he probably doesn't share the same ideology as him.

Nice way to spin things! Phill was part of the team that thought that an always online console will be great, no used games etc. that is a fact! Phill took charge of the xbox division as he was the only(at least most clalified) who could take the position, not because they did not share the same ideology as Phill was part of it!

You should take your own advice! ;)
Well don't speak in a factual manner regarding it then, when no-one does know.

Honestly, the only XO exclusive that appealed to me was RotTR, and that'll be out on PS4 next year.

Compared to Bloodborne, Until Dawn, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, various Indies and Tearaway Unfolded, I'd actually say the XO's sequel heavy 2015 was pretty disappointing if you're not already a fan of those series.

That's without even getting to the fact the PS4 is hands down the better system for multiplats.

*reads the PS4 article*

Seems... pretty reasonable right? I can't help but agree. After the release of the PS4 its somewhat strange to see how succesful the machine is. Well sure, Wii U failed to recapture earlier succes and Xbox One made an awful first impression, but when you look at it rationally Sony made a bunch of promises and two years later we're still waiting. Sure 2016 looks great, but lets be honest, it's time to finally deliver right? Third party software is more than okay, but in terms of first party software I can understand why Eurogamer is pointing out that particular output. Eurogamer are enthousiasts like us and they are a bit underwhelmed by Sony. What's so weird about that?

And honestly, on several sites I still more and more people complaining about the value of PlayStation Plus.

One of these things is not like the other.

One of these things just doesn't belong.

So they have games, but not the type of games us gamers like, which are just first-party titles?

Some of y'all are moving that goalpost.

leeh

Well don't speak in a factual manner regarding it then, when no-one does know.
probably

Also, you don't hire a manager which shares the same views of the previous one which just got sacked.

There were pre orders for all 3 versions shortly after E3 lol.
Thankyou. Someone who actually posted something which disproves me. Other than LOLLOLOLLOL. Keep it classy GAF.

Just for the record, I think the exclusivity deals are good, both for SFV, RoTR.

kpaadet

*reads the PS4 article*

Just for the sake of my curiosity, would you mind telling me all these promises Sony have made you? I am fascinated to know what kind of contract you signed when you bought a PS4.

Rad-

Oh lord...PS4's 2015 was pretty fantastic. I have no idea what they are talking about.

Opinions and all but I thought PS4's year was very weak again. If we start comparing it to other platforms then I can only compare it to 3DS (also very weak year) and PC (pretty good year) which I own on top of PS4.

GHG

One of these things is not like the other.

One of these things just doesn't belong.

So they have games, but not the type of games us gamers like, which are just first-party titles?

Some of y'all are moving that goalpost.

3rd party games are only for dirty scrub casuals.

B-tier exclusive AAA games (Until Dawn, Driveclub, Infamous:SS etc) and indie games don't count either.

Only exclusive games that are rated 90+ on metacritic are worth the enthusiasts time.

Nameless

What was wrong with the Rise of Tomb Raider deal?

You gotta admit it was a bit tone deaf of MS to snag exclusive rights to a series who's audience is least represented on their platform all to act as a holiday season foil to a similar game by their competitor that ended up getting delayed 6 months anyway.

probably

Also, you don't hire a manager which shares the same views of the previous one which just got sacked.

You seem to have answers for everything (mostly wrong though)! :)
Nope but you hire a new face, one that as far as customers (like you) know has nothing to do with the concept and can turn things around! It is to impress uninformed customers (again like you) that MS learned their lesson and thing will get better!

flattie

*reads the PS4 article*

It isn't the most surprising outcome in the world - I've always found Playstation consoles to be slow going for the first 2-3 years. They invariably come to life in a big way during the later years.

leeh

You seem to have answers for everything (mostly wrong though)! :)
Nope but you hire a new face, one that as far as customers (like you) know has nothing to do with the concept and can turn things around! It is to impress uninformed customers (again like you) that MS learned their lesson and thing will get better!
If your telling me that the role of a department head is mostly customer facing, then I don't know what to say.

You hire a department head for their long-term strategies and visions.

I'm stopping after this, cause it's way off-topic to OP.

GametimeUK

I was a huge Sony fan (still am) with a huge Sony bias too. Unfortunately the past two years have pushed me towards PC gaming as my main platform and even though my PS4 is my most played console, I just think Microsoft have had the best approach since turning things around. Sony are really sloppy at the moment and I don't think they will deliver the goods in 2016. The Xbone feels like the PS3 after it turned around and the PS4 feels like Sony are going back to their arrogant ways. Shame, really.

Tigress

*reads the PS4 article*

What promises?

That you can suspend your games? We can do that. That you can have some one take over your game for you via remote play? We can do that. That you can remote play your games with Vita? We can do that. That you can get a service that lets you remote play PS3 games? We can do that. That you can play at least physical games five minutes after you put it in? We can do that. That you can press a button and share your games over twitch or take the last fifteen minutes and put it up on twitch? We can do that and we can also do so on youtube now. That we can watch other people's streamed games? We can do that. That we can participate in games we are watching streamed that take advantage of that? We can do that. That Sony is working to be a very open place for developers to put their games? I think the fact they are getting good indie support shows that. And from what I've read of indie developers they seem pretty happy with Sony support.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure they at this point have fulfilled the promises they gave us when they launched the PS4 and are now working on new stuff (and also have done some new stuff too).

I was a huge Sony fan (still am) with a huge Sony bias too. Unfortunately the past two years have pushed me towards PC gaming as my main platform and even though my PS4 is my most played console, I just think Microsoft have had the best approach since turning things around. Sony are really sloppy at the moment and I don't think they will deliver the goods in 2016. The Xbone feels like the PS3 after it turned around and the PS4 feels like Sony are going back to their arrogant ways. Shame, really.

The only way Sony feels like they are going back to their arrogant ways (and I have felt this) is with the downfall of PS+. But honestly I've been happy with the last two months and if they keep it at least like that I'll stop being so annoyed by it. But I think a lot of it also is they require it for online now so they don't need to make PS+ look so good as that has shown to sell PS+ a lot more than having a good variety of games.

Three

The PS4 is being carried by multiplats and Bloodborne. Yes Bloodborne is the highest rated exclusive and a great one at that but it is just one title. Since launch, Bloodborne is the only big name title that really is worth shouting about on the PS4.

Others are all forgettable experiences including Infamous;SS, The order, Driveclub, LBP3 etc.

'Barely moving the needle in terms of sales isn't a good metric when Eurogamer are talking about quality. You use the metric interchangeably.

Bloodborne. That's it. That's the only big AAA title I see worthy of mention. In that regard, Eurogamer are spot on imo.

This is such nonsense. What "quality" are you talking about? if you are alluding to highest rated then you're dead wrong. Both for 2014 and 2015.

It isn't the most surprising outcome in the world - I've always found Playstation consoles to be slow going for the first 2-3 years. They invariably come to life in a big way during the later years.

You are correct, but have on thing in mind (and for that thing i really like Sony as a game company). They support their previous consoles till the very end while MS likes to slowly abandon ship 2-3 years before a new hardware is released!

And with the above said, I personally think that Sony has done an amazing job with their exclusive line up so far, given that the PS3 is still supported till this day!

jimboton

Number one hasn't been revealed yet. IIRC Bloodborne 'only' got a recommended, so Sunless Sea now seems just as possible (or more likely as they often follow Simon Parkins number one).

Also, 'best version' is not a real argument.

It got Essential, as did its DLC.

EGM1966

You gotta admit it was a bit tone deaf of MS to snag exclusive rights to a series who's audience is least represented on their platform all to act as a holiday season foil to a similar game by their competitor that ended up getting delayed 6 months anyway.

That's a good way of putting it. The deal strategically made sense for MS. But the second Spencer didn't get a positive reaction and both he and SE were more or less hounded by media and fans afterwards showed they'd goofed at least with respect to consumers.

From that point the general reaction was always mostly negative about the deal and TBH by the time the game launched I feel MS themselves had decided to mostly write it off as an effort and distance themselves from it.

Their marketing and PR around the release were fairly muted compared to the big push of the the reveal and they clearly put far more behind Fallout instead.

Ultimately when in a consumer market business strategy and tactics always has to account for consumer response, which can be a tricky thing to get right. In this case both MS and SE misjudged the response and paid for it.

As you say while focusing on their business view they made the mistake of being "tone deaf" to the actual market.

If your telling me that the role of a department head is mostly customer facing, then I don't know what to say.

You hire a department head for their long-term strategies and visions.

I'm stopping after this, cause it's way off-topic to OP

Then you should not have started it at all!
No i'm telling you that after the fiasco they needed a new face for the X1! One that has worked and is familiar with the division but was not involved (as far as customers are familiar) with the original concept for the X1!!!

Love the bold part, so you are stopping after this because it is way off topic and your first comment in the thread is:
How do you know? That contract could of been signed before the console even got announced.
You have not stayed on topic since your first post! :D

I can not even.... whatever! :D

Shin-Ra

"renewed trust," ha! my memory isn't shitty enough for that
They must be choosing not to believe Kotaku/Jason Schreier's source on Darkside Games.

http://kotaku.com/how-a-small-game-studio-almost-made-it-big-1696997142
Darkside was in the very early stages of development when E3 came around in June of last year, and some at the studio say they were shocked to see Microsoft announce Phantom Dust there. They were even more shocked to see the game announced through a pre-rendered trailer that nobody at Darkside had worked on, according to studio sources. Perhaps most frustratingly for people at the studio, Microsoft wouldn’t tell anyone that Darkside was developing the game. Darkside was put on a gag order; though the game had been announced, they still couldn’t tell anyone they were making it. “It was very sad,” said one person on the project. “It showed a lack of confidence in us.”
The original plan was for Darkside to finish the vertical slice by December, but after some struggles, they convinced Microsoft to extend the deadline to January. One particularly strange moment for Darkside happened around then, when Microsoft’s Ken Lobb said on a podcast that Phantom Dust would be “about a 30-hour JRPG.” The developers were baffled. That was never part of their plan. “Nobody knew he was gonna say that,” said one Darkside staffer. “We were told by people at Microsoft that Ken just does things like that.”

PlayStation in 2015: Goodwill ensured that the party continued

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...015-goodwill-ensured-that-the-party-continued

Xbox in 2015: A textbook year, but it's time to innovate again

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-textbook-year-but-its-time-to-innovate-again

Yada yada yada. Yeah, another year where people are only buying the PS4 out of goodwill, and no one is buying an Xbox because of what they said at a conference 3 years ago.

foamdino

Two different writers - different opinions and all that perhaps?

I personally prefer indies and the old Sony franchises so bought a PS4. I think your opinion of which of the XBox One/PS4 delivered most value, 'had the best 2015' really depends on what you were looking for initially.

*if* you're mainly interested in Forza/Halo/Gears - then obviously the XBox had a pretty good year as you got sequels to those (or remaster but whatever)

*if* you value backwards compatibility again XBox had a better story this year.

&c.

On the other hand...

*if* you have more interest in niche titles (and don't have a gaming PC) - then PS4 had a great year (really great, so many indies in 2015)

*if* you like Dark Souls and want more from the same people - Bloodbourne delivered

finally *if* you only care about AAA multi-platform games (and again don't have a PC), then PS4 had solid versions of these.

There are loads of ways to suggest that one had a better year than the other - it just depends on preferences.

It is interesting to me how western media outlets have seemed (in my opinion) to be cheerleading for XBox since this generation was revealed. It suggests that for the most part the XBox brand and the Microsoft exclusives more closely align with the preferences of the writers that work at Eurogamer/Kotaku/Polygon.

dealer-

Eurogamer's top 10 game of the year list is as follows:

1. Bloodborne (PS4 exclusive)
2. Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain (PS4, best console version)
3. Splatoon
4. Rocket League (PS4 console exclusive)
5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4, best console version)
6. Her Story
7. Invisible, Inc. (coming soon to PS4)
8. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
9. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4 exclusive)
10. Life is Strange (PS4, best console version)

6 PS4 games, 3 exclusive.
3 Xbox games, 0 exclusives.

You had a point until "best console version", that's just a stupid way of looking at things.

Tell me this isn't true.

Mario 3D World launched in the UK on the same week as the PS4, and bundled copies of Knack meant it technically sold more that week (Chart-Track counts bundled games). That's also why Nintendo Land charted pretty high on the UK all-formats charts on the week Wii U launched, if I remember correctly.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Sony has really brought in indies on the scene, they have VR next year, brought back several long lost treasures (Grim Fandango, Shenmue, Final Fantasy VII, The Last Guardian, etc), maintained great 3rd party relations, have great 1st party titles coming next year and have really defined the dedicated hardware crowd. I don't see what they could have done differently except release more games. In contrast: have Microsoft done anything this generation except found out what gamers DON'T want and backpedal?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Everybody really needs to chill. The author of this piece is not the same as the author(s) of their games of the year. It's OK for one person to feel that a console had a disappointing year or didn't fulfill its full potential this year without it being an existential knock on the product. I read both articles and I don't agree necessarily with either of them, but that's OK.

I do think both articles are just a little too flippant, though. This line in the PS4 piece really stuck out to me:

Reading back through a year of PS4 news, it's only the astonishing sales figures that truly leap out.

Really? They go on to mention the Kojima news later in the article! That was incredible and great news. This reads as pretty jaded, especially if all Gatsby really is good for is news (the sizzle).

Oh well. Anyway, anyone who continues to flip out is going to be banned.

EthanC

Banned
PS4's 2015 resembled a typical year of the 360. Really good multi-plat support, really lackluster exclusive support. So I agree with that assessment. Xbox One wasn't all that special. They didn't do much of anything until the end of the year, and when they did it was basically just new entries in old franchises. Backwards compatibility and the elite controller were far more impressive than anything new Sony offered all year though. The new UI though is really lacking.

No one knew UC4 was getting delayed though.

The TR deal was a business decision that was meant to benefit the platform by adding a good game to it's staple in 2015 and to counter UC4 as well as the avalanche of marketing deals that Sony had this fall/holiday. It's not like MS didn't know they had lost COD, or that Disney was steering all Star Wars related to Sony.

Tomb Raider remains unique in it's space until it launches on PC and more so on console unit UC4 launches. I don't see how that is a bad deal.

mejin

Everyone has the right to have an opinion, no problem at all.

But I would say...people who still want to push "AAA exclusives" in favour of XB1 are deluding themselves and that's why they still don't understand why PS4 is doing so much better. They don't want to look at the overall picture: PS4 has more games than XB1 in quality and quantity wise.
The year of the best lineup of Xbox history is the same year PS4 killed XB1. There's no competition anymore, PS4 took the gen right this year. There are only dreams now.

But I do find ironic that people remember Ryse and Dead Rising 3 as good choices and examples of XB1 exclusives. Gears Ultimate and Rare Replay are a must play. Games like The Order and Until Dawn can't be mentioned even if the first is probably the most expensive new ip of this year (probably this gen on consoles). But since it failed it doesn't count. MLB is often dismissed too and it probably sold better than Forza 6 this year (no numbers here just speculating).

ps3ud0

LOL MS came from last place last gen and decided to reward us with the XO launch. Nothing has changed in Xbox, as far as Im aware its still run by the same people that brought us the XO just with a new figurehead. Mattricks a scapegoat if ever I saw one...

How any of that really gives consumer confidence for the future just seems to be a press/marketing agenda being played out. Neither Sony nor MS deserve our mindless trust, make great products/services and dont try and fuck us over and we will likely be there - its not hard...

ps3ud0 8)

These articles are useless

You can't use gears remaster as a positive in one article, and then gloss over uc remaster in the other

You can't praise ori in one article and then downplay until dawn in the next... Not to mention completely ignoring helldivers

You can't use games with gold has caught up to PS plus in value as a positive and then say PS plus is a potential problem because makes ppl not wanna spend money for a negative

If you're gonna do articles like these, the two writers need to collaborate, or it just needs to be one writer... Obviously ppl are gonna compare the two articles, and the praises and criticisms are just way too inconsistent

Just for the sake of my curiosity, would you mind telling me all these promises Sony have made you? I am fascinated to know what kind of contract you signed when you bought a PS4.

I think the only promise they made us is that greatness awaits and they are fulfilling that promise. J/k

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I didn't love any exclusives this year, but enjoyed the PS4's more. I don't really see how Xbox had so great of a year, when it sat collecting dust for the first 9 months of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom