• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F-ZERO (SNES) is 30 cents FEB 20th to MAR 21st on the Wii U eShop

Does it matter if we do the times in practice or GP mode (+ the difficulty in GP mode) or is that free to whatever we like best?

Pretty interesting btw. Back in the days of the original game I always thought that the pink one was the only one where you could possibly have good times because of its superior handling. Now I see records with the blue one ^^

Jucksalbe

Banned
Does it matter if we do the times in practice or GP mode (+ the difficulty in GP mode) or is that free to whatever we like best?

I don't think there's an advantage in GP mode and since every type of race counts for the leaderboards, let's just use whatever fits best.

Pretty interesting btw. Back in the days of the original game I always thought that the pink one was the only one where you could possibly have good times because of its superior handling. Now I see records with the blue one ^^

On Mute City I, the pink one should be the best since it has the highest top speed. I just used Falcon because that's what AkimbO_Arcana used.
I just set a time with the pink one and I was about 4 seconds faster even though I crashed into the wall once, so it's probably the best car for the track.

mclem

It certainly does. Can't get the timing right anymore though. I always try to go at the second beep like in Mario Kart.

Wasn't it done by starting as normal then sliding in front of one of your rivals so he gives you a nudge? I think SMK was the first game with explicit timing-based boost starts, at least the first I knew of.

meppi

Wasn't it done by starting as normal then sliding in front of one of your rivals so he gives you a nudge? I think SMK was the first game with explicit timing-based boost starts, at least the first I knew of.

A bit of a combination of the two actually. You can get a quick boost that drops off fast, thus giving you time to get in front of one of your opponents and taking advantage of their back-humping. ;)

The Gamepad is introducing JPEG artefacts in the streamed video, which is unfortunate. Not the end of the world but it'd be nice if they could tweak that out.
Yeah, I was kind of hoping they'd have a lossless image compression mode for these low color and low resolution games, but it's pretty apparent that's not the case.

Robin64

Yeah, I think GP has a sliiiight advantage using a nudge from another vehicle on the starting grid. But maybe the crowded circuit is too much of a hassle for it to be truly viable.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Well, you can set a rival in Practice if you really want. But as far as I remember you can only choose 7 tracks in Practice mode anyway.

Jazzem

So awesome playing this in 60Hz! Never thought I'd see the day of PAL Virtual Console in 60Hz, ha :)

These games sure get tough on the later difficulties though eh?

Davey Cakes

I've only played practice. Are the four cars the only ones you can select for the entire game?

Anyway, it seems like Blue Falcon is the best one. The pink racer has great handling but it can never seem to catch up to the opponent racer because of the gradual acceleration.

The yellow car? Forget about it. Pretty bad IMO.

I'm not an F-Zero buff so I haven't memorized the names yet.

You have to press down on your d-pad before jumping. :)

I had to look this up as well, totally forgot about it and died 5 times in a row without a clue lol

Woot!

I quickly put together a page to keep track of scores. We can make it nicer if it gets popular. But who knows! For now it's there, and if anyone else posts times, I'll add to it.

Here's my first try on Mute City I (the second time is from my Grand Prix race):

Did F-Zero have a boost start? I don't remember.

Awesome, you guys mind to add each other on Miiverse?

I'll send you a pm with my NNID.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Played some more on Mute City I.

zDn1nKq.png

I guess now I can move on to another track.

Awesome, you guys mind to add each other on Miiverse?

I'll send you a pm with my NNID.

Added you. My NNID is the same as my username here, if anyone else wants to add me.

Played some more on Mute City I.

I guess now I can move on to another track.

Added you. My NNID is the same as my username here, if anyone else wants to add me.

O_O

ok, it seems you know what you are doing there! Second attempt with Fire Stingray is 2'12''03. And Practice seems to be the way to go for highscores, because besides your rival there is no traffic that could interfere.

Any advice on how to pull off a quick start?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Any advice on how to pull off a quick start?
I don't really know, I just did what someone recommended before (accelerating after the second beep). If you want to use the bump from your rival, I think you have to accelerate from the beginning. But from what I tried, my times didn't change much with the rival, so I removed him again. My best time was without a rival. I think my first lap was always around 28"50 if you want to compare.

I really haven't played the game in quite a while, but what I remember is how to take corners but tapping the throttle, helps a lot and of course choosing the right time to use the boost.

Does it tell you it's 60hz in the description?

No.

Robin64

I use the boost on Mute City to cut out the zig-zag section with the "mud". Just straight over both big triangle patches and the corner of the next bit.

I don't really know, I just did what someone recommended before (accelerating after the second beep). If you want to use the bump from your rival, I think you have to accelerate from the beginning. But from what I tried, my times didn't change much with the rival, so I removed him again. My best time was without a rival. I think my first lap was always around 28"50 if you want to compare.

I really haven't played the game in quite a while, but what I remember is how to take corners but tapping the throttle, helps a lot and of course choosing the right time to use the boost.

Thanks, didn't know that you can disable the rival too. I boost at the left/right/left/right section with the dirt on the road to drive a straight line through the dirt.

Does it make any difference if you take the jump pad or not? It seems to me like it gives you a slight boost during air time but slows you down a bit after the landing.

Jucksalbe

Banned
There's a menu option "No Rival" below the ships.

I boost at the same section, trying to go as straight as possible.

I think using the jump pad slows you down. I skipped it every time.

Great game, makes me feel 10 yrs old again. I used to pretty much only use the red one, its a little slower but handles so good. Just tried blue and its ok, not to bad, I believe the other 2 handle the worst out of the 4 but I still need to try them at some point.

Great game, The Death Winds are tough tracks

meppi

Not fair, sick in bed is the snes highscore secret sauce ;)

Just like Michael Jordan back in The day, playing his best games when he was very sick and running a fever. :)

The trick is to try and see where you can use your turbo boost to your best advantage.
Taking corners as sharp as possible and not being afraid to let go of the gas for a split second when going into a hairpin turn.

Strange.. i don´t have any artifacts at all. Overall, this game is my gaming highlight in 2013 so far. I own my Wii U since launch day but now it has really "clicked". It´s just an awesome emulation of one of my favorite games of all time. 60 Herz, a Nintendo D-Pad, no lag at all and all of this playable in my bed.

This game is just perfect. Supertight controls, the best F-Zero Soundtrack of all time and and and.

I love it.

Who would have thought... Monster Hunter demo is out and I'm doing Mute City over and over while cursing at the gamepad lol

Not getting close to your times. 2'04".. is all my skills are good for :/

Robin64

Who would have thought... Monster Hunter demo is out and I'm doing Mute City over and over while cursing at the gamepad lol

Not getting close to your times. 2'04".. is all my skills are good for :/

Submit a pic, still got you down as 2'24 on the page ;)

But yeah, I too have the Monster Hunter demo downloaded on both my console.. and I'm playing a game from 1992.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Bounce bounce bounce. Having only played a bit of this before I forgot how devious those drone cars are.

not even 2'04" and on my last 10 tries I didn't come close to my own best time. I know what to do, watched a 1'58" run on yt, but execution lacks :(

Shameless excuse: well I never owned a SNES,

But wait 'till F-Zero X releases! youarealreadydead.jpg
;)

Top Bottom