• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - Game of the Year Edition - September 26

Stygr

Banned
f4goty_ps4_pack_it_pegi_1502365723_2RJhdmD_jpg_800x0_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

Still play it and think its amazing. The Settlement builder and mods really sucked me in.

But it is a dramatic let down in terms of the Role playing elements.

Venfayth

People really don't understand the general perception of bethesda games outside of their internet bubbles, do they?

Kill3r7

People really don't understand the general perception of bethesda games outside of their internet bubbles, do they?

Truer words have never been spoken. We get all the Skyrim memes and shittalking. Yet, Skyrim Remaster was one of the best selling games last year.

Nope, I do. I understand these games sell very well, like how Assassins Creed sells very well while still being bad.

They sell much, much better than AC games. You can basically take all the other (non Bethesda) popular console RPGs from last gen and they sold less than Skyrim.

Van Bur3n

This year is absolutely packed with amazing games. Why the fuck would someone play FO4 now?

Because Bethesda games still offer an open world sandbox RPG experience that no one else in the industry has to offer. And this one comes with all DLC and can be modded like any good Bethesda game. Even on console.

Just like Skyrim: SE proved. There is always an appeal.

As for FO4 itself, it's a weak Fallout game, but serviceable enough as a Bethesda game. If one is looking to experience it again, I definitely recommending jumping into the ocean of mods available. There are some stellar mods that have been made by the community that really enhance the game. Plus, Far Harbor is a very good DLC and probably one of Bethesda's best that show they are capable of making a good story for Fallout somewhere in that dumb noggin of their's.

Despite this game's massive shortcomings, I can recommend someone to get this edition. Plenty of fun to be had.

Same here.

I dropped 150 hours in 2017 alone.

Game has incredible legs.

LOL at the haters.

The game has a lot of value, there is definitely a lot of fun to be had, but this game is so far removed from great RPG elements that it's not even funny. That's the only "hating" I have for the game.

Game is awesome

I still play it with tons of mods, Sim Settlements and Horizon specifically are game changers

Have high hopes for Fallout Cascadia as well

SirNinja

The GAF bubble in particular is bad on this one. One would think 4 was among the worst games of the year if they only remained inside ours.

The usual suspects always show up, every single thread, to drive by and remind everyone how shit the game is. They almost always state it as though it were a fact, naturally. Fortunately I'm still usually too busy playing Survival mode to care.

nayzzar

Neo Member
I would guess the graphical enhancements will be included in an update that's coming out in same time for everyone, right?
Can't see it only being for the GOTY.

MisterR

281akc8.gif

I think it's a good game, but over Witcher 3, Bloodborne or even MGSV? Nah. I should still play the DLC's. Bummed that I have to buy the game again, if I want to play the VR version someday :/

It's one of those things like giving out Emmys and stuff, they are always behind in recognition and in backlash. Fallout 4 got big reviews on hype and franchise recognition, Fallout 5 will pay the price with the backlash, unless they really step up their game.

Killzig

Cool, is the DLC good? Or a mixed bag?

Far Harbor is probably the best of the bunch, the rest is mostly workshop garbage so depending on how much that appeals to you YMMV. Nuka World is a bunch of shitty combat encounters/collection quests scattered over a kind of OK looking map. And there's a really fucking stupid Fallout 2 callback included.

If anyone is considering it.... I do NOT recommend the Pip-Boy edition.

I was extremely excited to have got a pre-order in on Amazon before they sold out, once I opened the package and held it, I realized it was a plastic hunk of crap, no better than a McDonalds Happy meal toy.

This was my experience with the FO3 CE. The lunchbox is nice and has survived, but the pipboy clock that came with had a broken stand out of the box and died within a week. Last time I'll ever give extra for a BGS product. FO4 was a gmg purchase for me and I doubt I'll ever go back to anything BGS proper puts out barring some major changes in their template.

Kinda was hoping to see a Switch version announcement, but I get it. It's an easy bundle for systems that already have all the content.

I was gonna wait for the complete edition to come out before buying Fallout 4 but then I heard the DLC wasn't that great anyway so I just bought the regular version.

Van Bur3n

Cool, is the DLC good? Or a mixed bag?

Far Harbor is probably the only one that is a true expansion and is really good. Only one quest in it is a real blunder, but that's about it.

Automatron offers a cool little questline but its short-lived. The rest of the focus is on the robot building.

All of the workshop DLC is focused entirely on settlements but they each focus on their own gimmick that you may or may not be interested in even if you are fond of the settlement building. Although some of them still offer some cool stuff to build with on the side. For example, the Wasteland Workshop gives you concrete structures to build with.

Nuka World offers a new cool environment to explore, but it eventually ends up focusing on settlement building but as a raider. Very mixed.

Overall, uh, Far Harbor is really good? Fallout 4's DLC is definitely some of Bethesda's weakest. Too much of it is focused on offering one single gimmick and not content that can just appeal to everyone.

megalowho

This year is absolutely packed with amazing games. Why the fuck would someone play FO4 now?
*quietly raises hand* I've been putting time into my old save over the past few weeks, randomly went to it off the backlog one day and will probably finish it soon.

GOTY edition is presumptuous marketing and I agree about 2017 being a great year, but there's still something to the Bethesda open world gameplay loop that's comforting. Finish off a few quests, get into a couple of decent skirmishes, make a little progression, rinse and repeat.

I still appreciate aspects of the formula while recognizing its staleness overwhelms the good in FO4. There's fewer narrative highs, exploration is drab, pathfinding and inventory management is frustrating, and the protagonist/conversation system dials back any semblance of roleplaying to a disappointing degree. The cracks are showing, but there's still value and fun to be had if you're in the mood for it.

Far Harbor is probably the best of the bunch, the rest is mostly workshop garbage so depending on how much that appeals to you YMMV. Nuka World is a bunch of shitty combat encounters/collection quests scattered over a kind of OK looking map. And there's a really fucking stupid Fallout 2 callback included.

Far Harbor is probably the only one that is a true expansion and is really good. Only one quest in it is a real blunder, but that's about it.

Automatron offers a cool little questline but its short-lived. The rest of the focus is on the robot building.

All of the workshop DLC is focused entirely on settlements but they each focus on their own gimmick that you may or may not be interested in even if you are fond of the settlement building. Although some of them still offer some cool stuff to build with on the side. For example, the Wasteland Workshop gives you concrete structures to build with.

Nuka World offers a new cool environment to explore, but it eventually ends up focusing on settlement building but as a raider. Very mixed.

Overall, uh, Far Harbor is really good? Fallout 4's DLC is definitely some of Bethesda's weakest. Too much of it is focused on offering one single gimmick and not content that can just appeal to everyone.

Hmm, ok thanks. In that case it might be a cheaper option to buy the base game second hand and only buy Far Harbor. I really don't care for that settlement stuff.

Jamaro85

If anyone is considering it.... I do NOT recommend the Pip-Boy edition.

I was extremely excited to have got a pre-order in on Amazon before they sold out, once I opened the package and held it, I realized it was a plastic hunk of crap, no better than a McDonalds Happy meal toy.

Yeah that was a waste of money. I've been meaning to try to get rid of it but here it still sits on my floor. I can't even say the novelty of it was enjoyable, even with the Pip-Boy phone app. I even bought a cheap Android phone that slid perfectly into the device, but wearing it was fun for all of two seconds.

Hope to get back to this one day though. The inventory management and settlement building became too burdensome for me, and I kept running into random side quests that compelled me to never move along with the main one. If there is a mod for PS4 that allows you to completely eradicate inventory encumbrance I may have to consider getting back into it.

I'll take FO4 over NV any day of the week. I spent a couple hundred hours on 4, and gave up on NV after like 12.

That being said, they dropped the ball on the DLC. Hard. Far Harbor may be decent enough, but I seriously doubt there's been a whole lot of people waiting around for the GOTY version to get all those sweet, sweet crafting material DLCs.

Jacqli

I am always tempted to buy it because it is Fallout but:
- fixed background for a blank character (married and with a kid)
- shitty romance system
- retarded story and some quests
- settlements
- bland DLC

I can't.

Top Bottom