• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - Game of the Year Edition - September 26

Cess007

Man, I wish the Season Pass went on sale. FO4 was one of my favorite games this gen, and I will come back once I have gone over my backlog. Still too much to do and explore!

Finally! Been waiting for this for ages, was starting to doubt it was going to happen

I know there's lots of complaints about the settlement building stuff but after watching some videos I legit think I'll enjoy & spend a lot of time on it

LMAOOOO, the absolute balls on them. Game runs like shit, is such a huge let down compared to the predecessor in most ways and here they go releasing a goty. Top Kek Howard.

Andodalf

Banned
Wow. A game that won many GOTY awards is having a GOTY edition, letting people buy it, with all dlc included, one one disk. For less than the cost of the game +DLC at present.

Why are people upset? Many people said they were waiting for the GOTY edition when it came out. Hey, it finally did! Yay.

Taker34

Banned
Can't tell if most people on GAF are deluded when it comes to Bethesda games while they break sale records, have more daily active player bases than most popular multiplayer titles for years, earn tons of praise from critics and fans at the same time... yet a bunch of people act like the game actively promotes the mass murdering of puppies.

It had its weaknesses, even more so compared to previous Fallout games but come on and get a grip. This is gamefaqs or IGN forums level here.

Van Bur3n

Can't tell if most people on GAF are deluded when it comes to Bethesda games while they break sale records, have more daily active player bases than most popular multiplayer titles for years, earn tons of praise from critics and fans at the same time... yet a bunch of people act like the game actively promotes the mass murdering of puppies.

It had its weaknesses, even more so compared to previous Fallout games but come on and get a grip. This is gamefaqs or IGN forums level here.

This is GAF. Always out of touch.

markwaters

Neo Member
it's an average Fallout game and didn't do anything new, but still I had 100+ hours of fun with it

Yep. I got my mindless, open-world jollies and moved on. The game was a fine time even if it played it very safe and the new things it did try (main character story and voice acting) weren't all that compelling. I especially enjoyed it once the Survival Mode update came out. I haven't thought about it much since completing it though.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Fallout 4 was just trash. I liked Morrowind and Oblivion. I loved Fallout 3. Skyrim is one of the greatest games ever made. But Fallout 4 was ass. A step back from all of their big open-world RPGs on about every level. Hated the game.

Yeah, the story was ass, but the world was the best they've ever made, bar none. The Bethesda hate cycle will begin anew next year, with their new game.

LowRoller

Ghost recon is the best selling game of 2017 and it's barely talked about here. Gaf will never be a good judge of games.

horkrux

Feels kinda strange not to care about this. I gladly bought the GotY for F3 and NV, but those days are over. They have truly lost me.

Van Bur3n

Loved all Fallout games before 4 though. 4 was just such a huge step back from New Vegas.

As another avid Fallout fan myself, I concur greatly and have expressed similar disappointment as well. Albeit, I saw it coming because Bethesda is Bethesda.

Nevertheless, Bethesda being Bethesda means they still release Bethesda games. And Bethesda games are fun in all of their janky nature.

Nevertheless, as someone who is probably more critical of Bethesda than most, GAF can be hyperbolic towards Bethesda and it is highly uncalled for because Bethesda is a leader in successful single player games and a significant influencer to other successful ones from other developers. Ones which GAF hold in high regard.

Acerac

Banned
Dammit I just bought the base game as it was so cheap now...

At a certain point you need to expect bundles like this as an inevitability. If a game is heavily marketed and has lots of DLC, there is a great chance of seeing a goty edition.

It's funny how you act as if a bad game can not sell well, all while insulting others who don't share this incorrect perception, then proceed to mock everyone else for bringing down the level of discourse.

Perhaps I could lend you a mirror?

Cartho

Won the second most GOTY awards in 2015. More than Bloodborne.

tumblr_mdp80j97pP1ruq7fu.gif

As another avid Fallout fan myself, I concur greatly and have expressed similar disappointment as well. Albeit, I saw it coming because Bethesda is Bethesda.

Nevertheless, Bethesda being Bethesda means they still release Bethesda games. And Bethesda games are fun in all of their janky nature.

Nevertheless, as someone who is probably more critical of Bethesda than most, GAF can be hyperbolic towards Bethesda and it is highly uncalled for because Bethesda is a leader in successful single player games and a significant influencer to other successful ones from other developers. Ones which GAF hold in high regard.

People are critical of Bethesda because they with every step forward they take two step backs. They introduce improved combat and weapon crafting and meanwhile they take away nearly all choice and consequence and completely butcher the dialogue wheel. Their writing and worldbuilding remain consistently bad across all games since Morrowind. Not to mention that every one of their games is riddled with bugs and most of it is left to the community to fix it.

Yeah, Bethesda games are insanely popular. Doesn't mean they are of a high quality. Or else The Big Bang Theory would be the best TV series of all time.

Aaron D.

It's funny how you act as if a bad game can not sell well, all while insulting others who don't share this incorrect perception, then proceed to mock everyone else for bringing down the level of discourse.

He's not wrong though.

Every Fallout 4 thread ends the same way, with people coming out of the woodwork just to drive-by shit post the game because it wasn't "RPG-enough" for them or some such. It's impossible to have a F4 discussion of any kind without this dead weight making an appearance.

At some point I'm just left wondering why so many are so invested in tearing the game down.

I get being disappointed. Highly-anticipated games disappoint me all the time. Thing is, when it doesn't work out for me, I just let it go and move on. It's no big deal, there's more than enough games out there to enjoy.

I think that's what makes me wonder the most about the hate-boner so many on 'Gaf seem to have for Fallout 4. It's like they follow behind every Fallout 4 thread like a jilted lover who just can't let go. Making sure everyone knows what a horrible person Bethesda is, LOL.

I just can't wait for the next Bethesda sandbox game to make an appearance. Hopefully by then everyone who has grown to dislike what they have to offer will have moved on, letting Bethesda fans enjoy their unique talents in peace.

Van Bur3n

People are critical of Bethesda because they with every step forward they take two step backs. They introduce improved combat and weapon crafting and meanwhile they take away nearly all choice and consequence and completely butcher the dialogue wheel. Their writing and worldbuilding remain consistently bad across all games since Morrowind. Not to mention that every one of their games is riddled with bugs and most of it is left to the community to fix it.

Yeah, Bethesda games are insanely popular. Doesn't mean they are of a high quality. Or else The Big Bang Theory would be the best TV series of all time.

I know why people are critical of Bethesda (because I'm one of the critics) and what is wrong with Fallout 4. I've explained what is wrong with Bethesda and Fallout 4 a dozen times over to others because I've spent years on their own forums doing it. I don't need it repeated to me.

Acerac

Banned
He's not wrong though.

Every Fallout 4 thread ends the same way, with people coming out of the woodwork just to drive-by shit post the game because it wasn't "RPG-enough" for them or some such. It's impossible to have a F4 discussion of any kind without this dead weight making an appearance.

At some point I'm just left wondering why so many are so invested in tearing the game down.

I get being disappointed. Highly-anticipated games disappoint me all the time. Thing is, when it doesn't work out for me, I just let it go and move on. It's no big deal, there's more than enough games out there to enjoy.

I think that's what makes me wonder the most about the hate-boner 'Gaf seems to have for Fallout 4. It's like they follow behind every Fallout 4 thread like a jilted lover who just can't let go. Making sure everyone knows what a horrible person Bethesda is, LOL.

I just can't wait for the next Bethesda sandbox game to make an appearance. Hopefully by then everyone who has grown to dislike what they have to offer will have moved on, letting Bethesda fans enjoy their unique talents in peace.
He's not wrong? Most people on GAF are deluded when it comes to how much the game has sold? Oh, ok.

I guess since you're using terms like hate-boner you must be the higher level of discourse that the poster was hoping we'd achieve. I think I'll take my leave...

The problem is that people can't tolerate any middle ground today, and that goes both ways. To combat rampant exaggeration they exaggerate rampantly. It's either the best game I've ever played or the worst. No middle ground. The game hold a 86% average on Metacritic, which is a B, this is a perfectly B game. Some outstanding qualities, several bad qualities. It's like people can't be happy unless it's 3/10, which this game isn't close to.

I can understand putting this on a Goty though, if the story didn't grossly offend you, then it's a pretty great game.

The problem is that people can't tolerate any middle ground today, and that goes both ways. To combat rampant exaggeration they exaggerate rampantly. It's either the best game I've ever played or the worst. No middle ground. The game hold a 86% average on Metacritic, which is a B, this is a perfectly B game. Some outstanding qualities, several bad qualities. It's like people can't be happy unless it's 3/10, which this game isn't close to.

I can understand putting this on a Goty though, if the story didn't grossly offend you, then it's a pretty great game.
Yep, it's a good game, and this bundles all the DLC at a great price. Great time to jump in for anyone that loves exploration, loot, and building your own towns in a dynamic world. But be cautious if you value story and dialogue quality above all else.

BizzyBum

I posted this in the Fallout 4 OT but I'll repost it here since it will get more exposure. I personally would play without mods for a little bit if you're a completely new player and add them later but definitely give the below a try if you're a returning player. Unfortunately, not all of the below mods are available on consoles, but there should still be a lot available to you.

I played this game for 350 hours without mods and stopped playing during Far Harbor. I wanted to finally beat Far Harbor and get into Nuka-World as well so I downloaded 42 mods and changed my difficulty to Survival and dear lord... what a game changer they are. I'm playing a completely new game. Here's what I have if anyone is looking to get back into this game (no particular order, listing from top to bottom using Nexus Mod Manager):

Weapons of Fate (Ballistics Overhaul) - Gives ammo bullet drop and different properties making it more realistic.
Button Lowered Weapons - First and Third Person - Small change to lower weapons without putting them away entirely.
Swinging Animated Meat Bags - Instead of being static. Something so minuscule to mod that makes a big difference in Super Mutant territory. Adds swinging noise and flys around them, too.
Eli's Armour Compendium - I only used this to complement the Better Settlers mod to make them look more varied.
Dynamic Music Overhaul - I chose Ambiance-only so no more combat music queuing so I have no idea if a threat is near.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Music Mod
No more cash register sound when XP gain
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch - Mandatory
Wearable Backpacks and Pouches - Great addition for Survival mode. I would even say mandatory if you plan to play on Survival.
The Mobile Mechanic - Portable Workbenches and Junk Scrapping - Great addition for Survival mode. I would even say mandatory if you plan to play on Survival.
Crows And Creatures - HD re-textures of lots of different crows and creatures.
Delightful Dead Fish - HD Retextures for the Commonwealth and Far Harbor DLC
Smaller Moon
True Storms - Wasteland Edition (Thunder-Rain-Weather Redone) - Mandatory. Complements Darker Nights.
Vivid Fallout - All in One - Updated HD textures for a lot of stuff that somehow looks better and also gives you better performance.
Campsite - Simple Wasteland Camping (and HD Sleeping Bags) - Great addition for Survival mode. I would even say mandatory if you plan to play on Survival.
Increased Walking Speed - I like walking in these games but I find default too slow. You can turn this on / off in your inventory.
Survival Mode Fast Travel Enabled - I try not to fast travel a lot but sometimes going across the entire map to complete a quest or store items gets old fast.
SURVIVAL QUICK SAVE - No Sleep Till Bedtime - The only reason I use this is because my game tends to crash a lot so I have to save often or else I could lose hours of playtime which is very annoying.
Survival Mode Console Enabler - Survival mode disables console commands, I use this because I need the console for the Ultra God Rays fix (below)
Ultra Quality God Rays Performance Fix Must have if your system can handle Ultra quality god rays. Gives me a 20fps boost and god rays still look great. Type "GR MaxCascade 1" into the console once you activate this to lessen the shimmering effect.
Ponytail Hairstyles by Azar v2.5a - I only used this to complement the Better Settlers mod to make them look more varied.
Journal of the Sole Survivor - Personal Journal - For the immersion geeks out there.
Pip-Boy Flashlight (Pipboy - Power Armor - Lamp Overhaul) - Mandatory. Complements Darker Nights wonderfully. I chose a smaller flashlight and I forgot name. HT50 or something like that.
Rain of Brass - Keeps bullet shells on the ground longer. Looks cool after a big firefight when looting a place.
Realistic Stars
Visual Reload - Visually drops ammo cartridges on the ground when reloading.
Enhanced Blood Textures
Fallout Texture Overhaul PipBoy (Pip-Boy) UHD 4K
Improved Map with Visible Roads - Just makes roads and small details on the Pip-Boy map more noticeable.
Realistic Pool Balls HD
The Eyes Of Beauty Fallout Edition
Better Settlers - Adds 250 unique settlers to the game.
Sim Settlements - Mandatory if you plan to tinker with settlement building.
Sim Settlements - Industrial Revolution - Expansion to above mod.
More Where That Came From - Diamond City Radio Edition - Great to put on if you decide not to fast travel.
OLD WORLD RADIO - BOSTON - Same as above. Adds a ridiculous amount of lore-friendly radio content.
Full Dialogue Interface
HUDFramework - Used for Sim Settlements for some added HUD elements.
Enable Achievements with Mods - Unfortunately not available on consoles.
Darker Nights - Mandatory. Choose the darkest setting!
Enhanced Lights and FX - Mandatory. Makes the lighting inside buildings amazing and way more realistic.

I would say the biggest game changers would be Survival difficulty, True Storms, Darker Nights, Pip-Boy Flashlight, Enhanced Lights and FX, and the music changes. The game is way more tense and if I wasn't careful I was getting one-shotted by some mobs in Far Harbor. I'm always used to being indestructible when I play Fallout but with these changes it practically makes it into a survival / horror experience.

For instance it was starting to get dark in Far Harbor and I entered an abandoned house and I started to hear these big ass swamp creatures stomping around outside. It was dark as shit, went upstairs where there was a single lantern and a dead body with a note saying he probably won't make it until morning, and I ended up just peeking and ducking through the windows trying to pick off each creature one by one all while some creepy music from STALKER was playing. If it were the Vanilla experience I probably would have just ran out with a shotty and be done in a few seconds. It really felt like I was playing a survival horror game.

If you're new to modding it might take some time to set everything up properly. Just download Nexus Mod Manager from that same site and use the program to download the mods and run through each installer when activating a mod. It's pretty straight forward but just be sure to read mod descriptions as some give you what the proper load order should be. I also use the program LOOT to automatically set my load order and make sure I don't have any errors, as well.

Taker34

Banned

Where do I state that "bad games" can't sell well? I specifically listed areas in which this game succeeded and pointed out the stark contrast between a lot of hateful comments and positive facts about the game. Since you're apparently fond of your propensity to exaggerate: you should know that a bad game doesn't objectively exist and thus can sell as many or as few copies as possible. A portion of consumers want to attach a certain level of quality rating on a game, so they can quickly generalize whether it's worth your time or not.

I also don't insult anyone with contrary perceptions of Fallout's quality. I find it rather insulting to read short one liners, lame jokes and most importantly the pure hatred in some of those posts. You don't have to look far to see people being jealous about the fact that Fallout won more GOTY titles, which is ridiculous! Does it lower the worth or quality of Bloodborne? I assume it lowers their self worth which results in such a toxic atmosphere on GAF more often than not.

The same toxic environment I dislike about forums like gamefaqs, like IGN - minus the hateful worldview.

I don't need a mirror since I can see myself just fine, you may just want to check if your mirror isn't broken.

CHC

God the bitching in here.... it's 2+ years ago, just move on already. We all like Bloodborne too, it's not a zero sum situation here.

I actually never played Fallout 4 but occasionally do think about that world and want to check it out. I'll probably grab this on sale over the winter. Glad it's all in one package, sometimes it's annoying tracking down DLC for cheap and figuring out which is worthwhile and which is crap.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
God the bitching in here.... it's 2+ years ago, just move on already. We all like Bloodborne too, it's not a zero sum situation here.

I actually never played Fallout 4 but occasionally do think about that world and want to check it out. I'll probably grab this on sale over the winter. Glad it's all in one package, sometimes it's annoying tracking down DLC for cheap and figuring out which is worthwhile and which is crap.

It's not as good as 3/NV, but it's not as bad as others are making it out to be, tbh.

Bizzquik

This was the game that made me realize that there is only so much the modding community can do.

Despite years of pent-up demand and a deep love of the lore, the modding community couldn't save the almighty Bethesda from their own terrible design choices.

Now to begin the inevitable task of waiting for the GOTY edition to go on steam sale.

Cwpo9SUUoAAmuV-.jpg

I may hate the story and lack of compelling quests, but the Gundam mods alone merit a revisit lol

Rarius

It's an alright gameplay wise game, but holy shit the writing is beyond bad. like, hilariously awful. The plot itself feels like it was written by ten different people and then bits and pieces were chosen to go together with 0 proofreading.

RootCause

Now to begin the inevitable task of waiting for the GOTY edition goes on steam sale.

Cwpo9SUUoAAmuV-.jpg

I may hate the story and lack of compelling quests, but the Gundam mods alone merit a revisit lol
Do you need the dlc for the gundam mods? 😱
Are there any weapon mods?

Shredderi

Their most ambitious game? Didn't feel ambitious to me! Map is smaller than Skyrim. It didn't feel more advanced than Fallout 3. It had better graphics but that isn't enough to call it ambitious. It didn't feel like a step forward. Even having very, very few or no loading screen between areas would have gone a long way to make this ambitious but no, still loading screens for areas literally the size of one room. Hell it felt regressive in some areas. Fuck what a disappointment this was.

Top Bottom