• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear over the clash of 9/11 anniversary and Eid (End of Ramadan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
In the latest of GAF Islam week:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/17/ramadan-clash-9-11-anniversary

Islamic groups in the US fear an overlap between the end of Ramadan and the anniversary of 9/11 will lead to criticisms that Muslims are celebrating the 2001 terrorist attacks.

Islam follows a lunar calendar, so Ramadan begins approximately 10 days earlier every year. This year, Eid al-Fitr – the festival that marks the end of fasting – falls on or around September 11.

Some groups worry that the coincidence will increase suspicion and hostility towards Islam at a time when feelings towards their religion are already running high.

President Barack Obama has come under intense criticism for throwing his weight behind plans to build an Islamic community centre close to Ground Zero. Newt Gingrich, the former speaker of the House of Representatives, compared the planned mosque to "Nazis" erecting a sign next to the Washington Holocaust museum.

Americans Against Hate have accused organisers of one Ramadan event of "spitting in the face of Americans" because they had scheduled activities for September 12.

The Islamic Circle of North America decided against holding its Muslim family day on September 11 out of respect for victims and families. Founder Tariq Amanullah worked in the World Trade Centre and died in the attacks.

An ICNA spokesman, Naeem Baig, said: "We took the decision not to have it on September 11 because it is not a day to celebrate. We will be mourning the deaths of all those who perished.

"We wish it to be as close to Eid as possible. But we don't want it on 9/11. That would be insensitive, we had to think of that."

He said that some critics would deliberately misinterpret Eid celebrations as something sinister but that the misconception was mostly due to ignorance of Islamic festivals.

The Muslim Public Affairs Council, an advocacy group based in Los Angeles, is reported to have contacted police to alert them to the overlapping dates. Another has urged mosques to improve surveillance and security on their premises.

Ibrahim Hooper, of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said it was up to each individual community how they celebrated Eid but they might change the nature of the public events because of its proximity to 9/11.

"I don't think people will change their religious observance. Eid is a prayer in the morning but they might do something about the funfairs and bazaars they hold to celebrate.

"We always tell mosques to revise their security when Islamophobia is on the rise. We have a whole industry of people searching for any excuse to bash Islam and this is one of them."

Haroon Moghul, the director of an Islamic outreach body, wrote: "If Eid falls on the anniversary of that day, it will be an especially difficult task for a Muslim in New York. Many of our congregations were hurt that day, either personally or through the loss of loved ones. Many good friends of mine rushed to ground zero to give aid and spent hours, even days, doing what they could for the victims and for the brave first responders who were badly wounded."

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The fear is not unfounded if stuff like this keeps happening:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38863919/ns/us_news-life/

NEW YORK — In the latest in a spate of anti-Muslim incidents over the last two days, an intoxicated man entered a mosque in Queens on Wednesday evening and proceeded to urinate on prayer rugs, New York police officials said.

The man, identified as Omar Rivera, reportedly shouted anti-Muslim epithets and called worshippers who had gathered for evening prayer “terrorists.” One witness told the New York Post the man was “very clearly intoxicated” and had a beer bottle in his hand at the time.

“He stuck up his middle finger and cursed at everyone,” Mustapha Sadouki, who was at the mosque at the time, said. “He calls us terrorists, yet he comes into our mosque and terrorizes other people.”

Rivera has been charged with criminal trespassing.

FBI Special Agent Richard Kolko told msnbc.com that New York City has not seen a change in the number of hate crimes reported by Muslims so far this year.

But recent incidents — including the stabbing of a Muslim cab driver and the desecration of a California mosque — have some members of the Muslim community worried that crimes against Muslims could reach crisis levels.

"Without a significant response by mainstream political leaders, this disturbing trend will only continue to grow," said Faiza Ali, a New York spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Start of a bigger trend? Around 6 p.m. Tuesday evening, a drunk 21-year-old student named Michael Enright allegedly attacked a cab driver in midtown Manhattan who had identified himself as a Muslim.

The cab driver told police that the two struck up a conversation in Arabic before Enright turned on him, screaming “This is a checkpoint, mother----er! I have to put you down.” Enright reportedly proceeded to stab the driver’s neck and face with a Leatherman knife.

Earlier this week, a mosque in Madera, Calif., had been vandalized with signs referring to the controversial plan to build an Islamic community center two blocks from the site of the September 11 terrorist attacks, according to CAIR.

“No temple for the God of terrorism at Ground Zero,” one sign read. “Wake up America, the Enemy is here,” read another. Both were signed “ANB,” reportedly standing for the American Nationalist Brotherhood.

Imbrahim Hooper, another spokesman for CAIR, told msnbc.com that it is only after “times of severe crisis” like the Oklahoma City bombing or September 11 terrorist attacks that the organization has seen such an uptick in hate crimes against the Muslim community.

“I think we’re beginning to see the result of this manufactured controversy about the Islamic community center in Manhattan,” Hooper said. “I hope this is not an indication of a trend.”

Hooper said the organization attributes the increasing number of incidents involving anti-Muslim rhetoric to an “Islamaphobia machine” that includes right-wing news, blogs and other media outlets.

When asked to specify exactly what media outlets are to blame, Hooper responded, “We don’t need more enemies right now.”

Roxas

1253930-this_thread_again_super.jpg

TheGuardian said:
"Americans Against Hate have accused organisers of one Ramadan event of "spitting in the face of Americans" because they had scheduled activities for September 12."

I don understand this. Are that group against Eid being moved because they shouldn't bow to pressure, or are they against it being so close because they are celebrating Eid??

If it's the latter, why have that name as a group??

There is one of those that is so applicable to this thread, but I'd definitely get banned for posting and honestly I'd feel bad. So here's this one

129096251994756984.jpg

Alx

Americans Against Hate have accused organisers of one Ramadan event of "spitting in the face of Americans" because they had scheduled activities for September 12.

The Islamic Circle of North America decided against holding its Muslim family day on September 11 out of respect for victims and families.

I don't understand... they postponed the celebration in order to pay respect to the victims, and an association "agains hate" is blaming them for that ?

Alx said:
I don't understand... they postponed the celebration in order to pay respect to the victims, and an association "agains hate" is blaming them for that ?

Associations exist to be upset about things.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This world is fucking juvenile, that this is even an issue.

It's like religion is supposed to be the console fanboyism of the planet.

"Oh, you like Nintendo? Well prove to me now that you don't support fanatical fanboy terror!"

hxa155

I don't really give a fuck. We celebrate at the end of Ramadhan every year and this year won't be different. It's a 14 centuries old tradition.

BocoDragon

hxa155 said:
I don't really give a fuck. We celebrate at the end of Ramadhan every year and this year won't be different. It's a 14 centuries old tradition.
You should have planned ahead *tisk tisk*

How about you post all this stuff in the official islam thread? I'm getting tired of a dozen islam related threads on the front page every fucking day.

Shaka

Steppenwolf said:
How about you post all this stuff in the official islam thread? I'm getting tired of a dozen islam related threads on the front page every fucking day.
Mega threads are shit and the mods agree. Deal with it.

Shaka said:
Mega threads are shit and the mods agree. Deal with it.

Then be modest and stop rubbing it in our faces all the fucking time. It comes off as some sort of attention whoring or even worse missionary work in some cases.

BocoDragon

Steppenwolf said:
Then be modest and stop rubbing it in our faces all the fucking time. It comes off as some sort of attention whoring or even worse missionary work in some cases.
I'm sick of stories about America. Can we stop those?

Narag

Steppenwolf said:

News is news. I clicked the thread to read what was going on whether it legitmiate or crackpot. It's not something I'd have seen if it was consolidated in the Islam thread as it's not one I visit.

BocoDragon

Steppenwolf said:
It's an american forum. What a silly comparison.
:lol :lol

Half the posters in this thread are from Canada, Europe or god knows where. Maybe even those MUSLIM countries too.

Nowhere did GAF state that it was for your narrow viewpoint alone.

It's up to EvilLore I suppose.

Siebzehn50 said:
It's an English speaking forum, but why is it an American one? We have an international community here.

It's located in america, the majority of the users are american if you haven't noticed.

Also i'm not asking to stop threads about islam. All i'm asking for is modesty. We have an official islam thread, we have a ramadan thread, we have a islamic community center near ground zero thread and many more where this could have been posted.

This thread here is just spam. If you think being obnoxious does the image of islam any good then go on like that.

BocoDragon

Steppenwolf said:
It's located in america, the majority of the users are american if you haven't noticed.

Also i'm not asking to stop threads about islam. All i'm asking for is modesty. We have an official islam thread, we have a ramadan thread, we have a islamic community center near ground zero thread and many more where this could have been posted.

This thread here is just spam. If you think being obnoxious does the image of islam any good then go on like that.
No more World Cup threads.

No more Nintendo threads.

This is 'Merica.

Zapages

SmokyDave said:
America Vs. Islam: Round 11.

The speed that anti-islamic sentiment in the US has grown is remarkable.

It is kind of scary because we had police standing in front of our mosque for protection for all the prayers that were there on Friday.

BocoDragon said:
No more World Cup threads.

Are you really that thick? We have one world cup thread every four years. If the football fans would start new threads every day it would be just as annoying as the quantity of islam threads.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Steppenwolf said:

Server location is irrelevant, I could change it right now and nothing about the site would change except latency.

The majority of GAF users are not American.

BocoDragon

Steppenwolf said:
Are you really that thick? We have one world cup thread every four years. If the football fans would start new threads every day it would be just as annoying as the quantity of islam threads.
Islam: 1.5 billion people

America: 300 million people

It makes more sense to confine ALL American matters to some megathread than it does Islamic-related issues.

Steppenwolf said:

Oh no! Not four threads on Islam!!!

We've had like 8000 threads on Atheism/Christianity in the last week or so and I don't remember you bitching about those. Or wait, is Christianity more 'Merican so it's ok?

Edit: And Evilore has spoken. You're wrong.

Ydahs

Steppenwolf said:
Well, the majority of these threads do relate to American politics. They don't fit in the Official Islamic thread which is dead, the Ramadan thread is religious focused so let's not derail that and that Mosque thread is discussing only that particular issue.

While there has been an increase in Islamic threads, many of them are separate issues which do not belong in one single thread.

Islam: 1.5 billion people

America: 300 million people

It makes more sense to confine ALL American matters to some megathread than it does Islamic-related issues.
This doesn't make sense considering that Muslims are a minority on this forum.

BocoDragon

Ydahs said:
This doesn't make sense considering that Muslims are a minority on this forum.
Why does that matter at all?

My point is that Islam represents 1/4th of the people on this planet.

Making a "megathread" of everything to do with them strikes me as utterly hilarious.

This is getting out of fucking hand. Islam is not terrorism. Cut the fucking bullshit already. America should stop pointing fingers at "Islam" and point the fingers at themselves. New Yorkers that work in wall st(like myself)at the time knows what the fuck went down that day. I lost a lot of co-workers that day. Jet fuel my ass brought those buildings down. Islam is the new "N****r" for this generation. America, don't change.

ShinobiFist said:
This is getting out of fucking hand. Islam is not terrorism. Cut the fucking bullshit already. America should stop pointing fingers at "Islam" and point the fingers at themselves. New Yorkers that work in wall st(like myself)at the time knows what the fuck went down that day. I lost a lot of co-workers that day. Jet fuel my ass brought those buildings down. Islam is the new "N****r" for this generation. America, don't change.

So wait...are you a Truther?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom