• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV's future updates adjust chapters, add cutscenes, add playable characters, more

Vlaphor

I just got to chapter two, so I'm wondering what my options should be. I'm liking the game quite a bit, but I also have a smorgasbord of games to chose from. I also kind of want to wait till the 12th, which is when SE is emailing out the Carbuncle Surprise codes and I'll be able to drive around in my CindyMobile.

Unsure of what to do next....

Soulflarz

Banned
What
Wait
Wait
What?

I have the game, I bought it on Day 1 but I haven't played it yet. I've been beating other games until then.

Are you saying I shouldn't touch it until this is done? Is it that bad? Whoa.
Do not play FFXV as it currently is.
People are in the honeymoon phase still. It's got the same metacritic as FF13 fot a reason, it's actually probably less finished than 13.

ZeroX03

Banned
What
Wait
Wait
What?

I have the game, I bought it on Day 1 but I haven't played it yet. I've been beating other games until then.

Are you saying I shouldn't touch it until this is done? Is it that bad? Whoa.

Don't go past chapter 9ish, get to there and do side stuff if you have to play. But if you've got a backlog, play those games instead and wait for the patch.

I honestly thought people were being hyperbolic about the bad chapter before I played it, but it's really bad. The new cutscenes they're adding seem like they'll really help flesh a certain character out who really needs it too.

Can they patch Ignis so he can just shut the fuck up when I want to drive during the night.

Get to level 30

Slime

Banned
I wish there were plans to add level scaling to the main quest or something. I'm having more fun with the hunts than the main story, mainly because there's now zero challenge or fun in those parts.

I'm on chapter 8 and am pretty much good with sidequests for now. I was thinking of just binging the game in the next couple days, to get the main story over with while I was still on a high.

I'll probably still do it but yeah, this did make me second-guess for a bit.

mollipen

WAT

But yeah, chapter 13 needs way more fixing than that. That is actually the smallest complaint I had about that hell on earth.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope they add a replay chapter thing.

Caim

Limited time events are in the works, including mob hunts and re-battling bosses.

Settings to make the game's text larger and easier to read will be added.

Provide items such as low level clear, invincible suit and etc to improve contents.

HotHamBoy

People are in the honeymoon phase still. It's got the same metacritic as FF13 fot a reason, it's actually probably less finished than 13.

It's less finished but more fun to play, I guess.

I would say everyone should wait a year and aee how ot goes with the post release support. I finished the game and I honestly can't see ever wanting to replay it, regardless of what they do.

Don't go past chapter 9ish, get to there and do side stuff if you have to play.

Disagree, don't play it at all for now. The first half of the game is very anemic on story and characterizations (outside of the main party) that might be updated with much-needed cutscenes and scenarios.

What makes Chapter 13 bad? A spoiler-free explanation (i.e. no story specifics), if possible, please.

That part sounds like it's referring the content in the Season Pass (perhaps the online mode?). But honestly, I'm not sure. That sounds like a crazy change to implement if it's for the main game, which makes me think that's just DLC stuff. But if it's not the DLC...whoa.

It's by far the longest chapter in the game and the majority of it is all stealth gameplay. Not something people are looking to play when they purchase and RPG.

GunBR

Compare XV with XIII is like compare Street Fighter 5 with Street Fighter 1.

Both have problems but only one of them is a piece of shit

MarkusRJR

They really need vague date windows for these updates. I want to start playing my copy but if the story updates are weeks or months away I might as well start playing then and not now (since I'll forget the story and combat mechanics).

Paznos

Not sure why I bought this at launch other than the $10 GCU pre-order bonus, I haven't even started playing yet.

Sorta waiting to see if there will be another Pro sale.

BlueWord

I was talking to a friend the other day, and this was actually my long-shot hope. Given the lack of focus on Ravus in the main game, it seems like there would be a lot of room to tell a story focused on him and some of the other secondary characters in the second half.

I bet the inevitable FFXV: Complete in 2018 will end up being a much more satisfying experience, at least with regard to narrative.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I just want to take a moment to bask in the utter lunacy of the fact that this is literally precisely what I've been calling the pipedream to end all pipedreams and these crazy bastards just went ahead and announced it.

This could turn a decent game into a great one.

Afrocious

I'm on Chapter 7 or 8. This patch apparently changes chapter
?

Could someone tell me what is wrong with the chapter that needs to be fixed without spoiling it?

Well if it gets patched as hell and if they play the cards right, might as well be a great game in the end, no? :p
It is a 9/10 but without patch, maybe they can make it 10/10 :p

I'm on Chapter 7 or 8. This patch apparently changes chapter
?

Could someone tell me what is wrong with the chapter that needs to be fixed without spoiling it?
It is just a part of the story where the main character loses combat and is forced to use magic. The forced magic section will last for a while but the rest of the chapter is still too long.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Can they patch Ignis so he can just shut the fuck up when I want to drive during the night.

Tbf, where you are in the game, he's doing it for your own safety (usually). Those shits will FUCK YOU UP.

Later on he'll stop saying anything because you're able to take them on.

Jarmel

Banned
What makes Chapter 13 bad? A spoiler-free explanation (i.e. no story specifics), if possible, please.
-Bad art design
-Bad level design
-You can't use the combat mechanics for a good chunk of the level and replaces it with something shitty
-Narrative remains shoddy and a mess
-Blatant things done to stall player
-Heavy emphasis on stealth mechanics
-Extremely boring
-Lasts at minimum 1 hr and can easily run 3 hrs long

Whelp, I should have waited until next year to play XV. Damnit. I was thinking of digging into the post-game stuff after TLG, but I might wait a bit then, and replay the later chapters of the game after the updates come in.

I'm incredibly annoyed and flabbergasted that they even have to do this, and I can't believe it's a reality for a mainline FF game. I suppose it's better than not doing anything at all, though. It does seem a bit ironic since the recent release date delay was so that players could have the most complete and polished version of the game. I'm not sure how it will help the already Frankensteined feel that the game's story has, sigh. They already had trouble inserting the
Luna flashback cutscenes
into the back half of the game.

-Bad art design
-Bad level design
-You can't use the combat mechanics for a good chunk of the level and replaces it with something shitty
-Extremely boring

...wtf
More stealth?
Ugh

HotHamBoy

It's by far the longest chapter in the game and the majority of it is all stealth gameplay. Not something people are looking to play when they purchase and RPG.

Lol, it's definitely not "stealth" gameplay. Not the way I played it.

But it is very tedious.

It literally looks and plays like a level from Metal Gear Solid.

Looks like, yes, plays like, no.

They present it as stealth but that is the worst option to play through it.

Yeah I was going to get the game but not anymore.

Changing/adding/completing the story with patches is a big no no for me.

Oh well. Hopefully they release a GoTY edition with everything on 2 discs.

Toth

It's funny seeing some of these comments here because this is not even the first FF that has done this. FFXII was turned from a very solid but un-FF JRPG into a SIGNIFICANTLY improved game with much stronger FF ties (via the job system and removal of 'everyone learns everything' mechanics) and major game play changes (including level caps!) The difference of course is that FFXII International was released as a separate game (and cost quite a bit of money) while these updates for 15 will be free (minus the DLC episodes).

Plus, FFIV was also remade with all new scenes and story changes. And that was a great game as well.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

-Bad art design
-Bad level design
-Extremely boring

Ah, I see. Stealth is definitely my least favorite thing to encounter is RPGs/action games, so I guess this change is welcome. Thanks for the explanation!

Foffy

Banned
I hope someone logs these scenes and puts them on Youtube.

I don't feel comfy just freezing my progress in the game, because we don't even know when the cutscenes will be added.

I wanted to do everything in the open world before I even started Chapter IX. I'm one dungeon, a few Tours, and a handful of sidequests left from doing that...

Top Bottom