• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV's future updates adjust chapters, add cutscenes, add playable characters, more

Rozart

Do not play FFXV as it currently is.
People are in the honeymoon phase still. It's got the same metacritic as FF13 fot a reason, it's actually probably less finished than 13.

Review scores were terribly inflated last gen.

There was no honeymoon phase with FFXIII for me anyway. I bought it day one and I remembered being seriously disappointed by it. What a terriblly dull game that was.

rhandino

Banned
Final Fantasy XV: A Realm Reborn

If they include an Avatar system the first thing I am going to create is Stella lmfao

CHC

holy heck

what other games have patches that change the story post-launch?

Aside from the big one (Mass Effect 3), the Witcher 3 patched in some dialogue for one of the love interests who was a little underrepresented in the late game. But that was more a case of "more of a good thing" rather than "trying to save a bad thing."

But yeah, typically something like this is pretty damn rare.... kind of a DEFCON move on their part it seems like. Fucking with story post-launch just smacks of disorganization, but that has been kind of obvious with FFXV all along.

Baliis

What makes Chapter 13 bad? A spoiler-free explanation (i.e. no story specifics), if possible, please.

It's just very different from the rest of the game. Not super spoilery but,
You're forced to go through a pretty long section stripped of your normal weapons and no allies with you. The game sort of plays it off as a horror/stealth type section, but you can totally ignore that because it gives you a gimmicky weapon that can basically insta kill things.

Now that I think about it, the worst part about the section is a random ass plot point about (Actual spoiler)
Prompto
that's never hinted at nor mentioned again. Now that's what I would want expanded since it makes absolutely zero sense.

Lol at people calling it stealth gameplay. You don't have to avoid anything in that chapter, you can just blast anything out of the way in like 2 seconds.

ZeroX03

Banned
with much stronger FF ties (via the job system and removal of 'everyone learns everything' mechanics)

Still disgusted by that change. Just because older games had set classes for characters doesn't mean they all should. V, VII, VIII and X all had everyone could learn everything. XII regressed in that respect.

I hope someone logs these scenes and puts them on Youtube.

I don't feel comfy just freezing my progress in the game, because we don't even know when the cutscenes will be added.

I wanted to do everything in the open world before I even started Chapter IX. I'm one dungeon, a few Tours, and a handful of sidequests left from doing that...

Do as much as you can, complete as many quests and get as many Royal Arms as you can manage, then just move on and finish the game.

Game was rushed needed more time, if it got another delay people would've been making jokes (funny how it is) lol for those that want to wait, I guess fall 2017 for everything to be complete.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
I'd really appreciate a future patch allowing you to re-recruit the temporary party members in the post-game. They're insanely wasted and more interesting than the main party by far and it'd make the post-game instantly more interesting with next to no effort required on the dev's end.

Toki767

I don't feel like these additions are going to make a huge difference...at least not the short and mid term goals.

The long term goal has a lot of potential though.

This just makes me lament that Final Fantasy XII was not released during today's post-launch downloadable content age.

That game was this close from being my perfect JRPG.

giphy.gif

The-Notebook-Now-Its-Too-Late-GIF.gif

jiggle

It's funny seeing some of these comments here because this is not even the first FF that has done this. FFXII was turned from a very solid but un-FF JRPG into a SIGNIFICANTLY improved game with much stronger FF ties (via the job system and removal of 'everyone learns everything' mechanics) and major game play changes (including level caps!) The difference of course is that FFXII International was released as a separate game (and cost quite a bit of money) while these updates for 15 will be free (minus the DLC episodes).

Plus, FFIV was also remade with all new scenes and story changes. And that was a great game as well.

Being free is nice though

Wonder what aditional playable characters we will get? Aranea, Iris and Cor?

Queen back to reclaim her throne
And Prince Cor
z9Fez.jpg

duckroll

The positive thing about this is that the team is still committed to working on the game and improving what they can in the main campaign not just in small fixes but in substantial additions like more cutscenes and voiced events, etc.

The negative thing about this is that it becomes more and more apparent that XV is work in progress, long after it ships. In a year plus when all the DLC is done and support the game finally ends, it'll be super interesting to see what state the game is in compared to launch.

GunBR

I beat the chapter 13 without using stealth
It's not obligatory

I agree that the chapter isn't good, but stealth isn't the problem of it

Bladenic

-Bad art design
-Bad level design
-You can't use the combat mechanics for a good chunk of the level and replaces it with something shitty
-Narrative remains shoddy and a mess
-Blatant things done to stall player
-Heavy emphasis on stealth mechanics
-Extremely boring
-Lasts at minimum 1 hr and can easily run 3 hrs long

1. I guess but there were some nice views especially at the end.
2. Okay
3. Not really.
4. Not a problem of this chapter and this chapter has more story and plot revelations that 1-8 combined basically.
5. Huh?
6. Not true at all, you don't have to use stealth at all or else I would've hated it too.
7. Subjective lmao I'll give you that it's a bit repetive but the end payoff was worth it.
8. Yeah it's long. And by long I mean the only chapter that feels like a chapter length, instead of the super short rest of the chapters.

However I seem to be completely alone in my like of 13 so don't listen to me

Sounds like the game needs a lot of work. Kind of have morbid curiosity to experience the worst version possible but I also want to play the best version.
The avatar system sounds dumb. Don't do that, just make more clothing options.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
This just makes me lament that Final Fantasy XII was not released during this post-launch downloadable content age.

That game was this close to be my perfect JRPG.

Literally the second thing I thought, right after "those crazy bastards, they're actually doing it."

Gemeanie

It's funny seeing some of these comments here because this is not even the first FF that has done this. FFXII was turned from a very solid but un-FF JRPG into a SIGNIFICANTLY improved game with much stronger FF ties (via the job system and removal of 'everyone learns everything' mechanics) and major game play changes (including level caps!) The difference of course is that FFXII International was released as a separate game (and cost quite a bit of money) while these updates for 15 will be free (minus the DLC episodes).

Plus, FFIV was also remade with all new scenes and story changes. And that was a great game as well.
Because to some people free updates/patches = 'should have delayed the game' and international edition = new juicy content even if they're initially cut from base games

Edit: I see one of their planned updates is limited period hunts and I hope we'll have something like multiplayer Ur Dragon in Dragon's Dogma

Ruff

The worst kind. You can't really do shit because of blahblahblah. You're restricted in a set of hallways that just goes on and on and on.

There is absolutely no reason to bother stealthing in 99% of this chapter because you have a 1hko spell that kills entire hordes at once. Quit the hyperbole, you all make it sound required.

Soma

I... liked what they were going for in Chapter 13 but it just dragged onnnn and onnnn...

Cut that shit in half and I'd be cool with it.

Oh and if you're gonna be patching in stuff, I want a motherfuckin' bestiary!

I don't feel like these additions are going to make a huge difference...at least not the short and mid term goals.

The long term goal has a lot of potential though.

Yeah, the new cutscenes don't sound that much. More like what they do with the Final Mix versions of KH which they add some new cutscenes. But hey, at least it's free now.

There is absolutely no reason to bother stealthing in 99% of this chapter because you have a 1hko spell that kills entire hordes at once. Quit the hyperbole.

What hyperbole? It's literally just go here and here, use ring, and it takes a long time. Where the fuck is the fun in charging that ring attack?

Rpgmonkey

Cool I guess but I really doubt I'll be coming back to this game. Oh well.

While Chapter 13 is awful I'm not sure if making the equipment a little stronger there will help too much. I guess it'll make certain portions less tedious which is at least some kind of improvement even if I think it's only like the fourth or fifth worst thing about the chapter, which is saying a lot as the "fights" in that part of the chapter are really bad lol.

Diablos

It's really amazing how linear the game becomes at a certain point. I just got there.

I really don't want to wait for them to patch it, so I guess I'll just suffer through it if it's really as bad as I think it is.

Crazy that they're fundamentally changing the final product though. I guess that delay from September to November still wasn't enough?

jimmypython

Nomura created a mess
|
Tabata came to fix
|
Tabata created a mess
|
Tabata came to fix

LOL

Now I am curious, which one is better:

The current situation.

or

Let Nomura make his VERSUS epic, without telling ppl there are more to come. We got a more complete game that is FFXV. It also shipped 5m. The team announced to continue to support with XV-2.

Meowster

I mean, the only really bad thing about Chapter 13 (gameplay-wise) was it's insane length. The rest of it really wasn't that bad.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The positive thing about this is that the team is still committed to working on the game and improving what they can in the main campaign not just in small fixes but in substantial additions like more cutscenes and voiced events, etc.

Remember when I told you I was hungry so I was leaving?

Right as I started to stand up from my couch, my wildest dream came true.

Tohsaka

Damn, I really should've just waited to play it. Will definitely not bother doing anymore post-game stuff for now at least.

The negative thing about this is that it becomes more and more apparent that XV is work in progress, long after it ships. In a year plus when all the DLC is done and support the game finally ends, it'll be super interesting to see what state the game is in compared to launch.

This is the future, sadly with all this chopped up content :/

Makes you wonder about games like hitman and FF7r being divided into multiple entries was the smart thing to do, to avoid such a mess like this.

HotHamBoy

A remake is a bit different than expecting all the people you just sold the game to to replay it when they patch in knew stuff in the hopes that it fixes the countless problems that the game has. They should have just delayed it but I understand why they didn't.

Hey, not to derail, but we never got FFXII Internationl, right? We just have vanilla on PS2 in NA?

Because I am interested in FFXII Remastered if it is improved over what I played back in the day on PS2. I really tried to like the game but didn't get past the 15 hour mark.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is the future, sadly with all this chopped up content :/

Makes you wonder about games like hitman and FF7r being divided into multiple entries was the smart thing to do, to avoid such a mess like this.

Well, I mean, Hitman is also a game that's been getting updates to existing content.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's really amazing how linear the game becomes at a certain point. I just got there.

I really don't want to wait for them to patch it, so I guess I'll just suffer through it if it's really as bad as I think it is.

Crazy that they're fundamentally changing the final product though. I guess that delay from September to November still wasn't enough?

I think this is the reason why they delayed it:

They were in negotiations for the last year to use the Waffle House sign. The reason the game was delayed in September was actually to remove evidence of the Waffle House text from the game. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough time to create new sign assets.

cordy

Banned
Do not play FFXV as it currently is.
People are in the honeymoon phase still. It's got the same metacritic as FF13 fot a reason, it's actually probably less finished than 13.
Don't go past chapter 9ish, get to there and do side stuff if you have to play. But if you've got a backlog, play those games instead and wait for the patch.

I honestly thought people were being hyperbolic about the bad chapter before I played it, but it's really bad. The new cutscenes they're adding seem like they'll really help flesh a certain character out who really needs it too.

Thanks for the head's up. Wow, that's crazy.

I picked up Gears 4, Ratchet PS4, FFX-2 Collection, Destiny Collection and some other games so I guess I'll hold off on this then and just beat everything I have even the ones in my backlog. Horrible, I was actually about to crack the game open tomorrow but I don't want the experience to be as bad as it seems to be.

Ruff

What hyperbole? It's literally just go here and here, use ring, and it takes a long time. Where the fuck is the fun in charging that ring attack?

Making it sound like you MUST stealth because you cannot do anything else is the hyperbole, people don't need to be dreading the chapter for being a forced shitty stealth section, other reasons, fine. But not this one.

LiK

NG+ should be short term. Is it hard to just let people restart with all the shit they unlocked sans story-related things?

Top Bottom