• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV's future updates adjust chapters, add cutscenes, add playable characters, more

artsi

The Witcher 2.

Witcher 3 also added several cutscenes (regarding Triss / Yen / Ciri) in a patch because of fan feedback.

It's not bad, it's good if a dev is committed to fixing things. Shame that it didn't release in "complete" state but no reason to leave it that way if they can do something.

Daeoc

The wait for the PC version now seems like less of a wait somehow. Maybe they will fix PS4 frame pacing along the way, too.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
NG+ should be short term. Is it hard to just let people restart with all the shit they unlocked sans story-related things?

Well, you might as well wait so you can play Final Fantasy XV: Enhanced Edition in NG+ anyway.

Got the game day one but haven't played yet because of the end of the semester and upcoming finals. Any word on when the first patches are coming?

Also for those saying the stealth is horrible in the game, is it worse than The Order?

Koodo

Banned
So it's been two Final Fantasy games in a row that Square Enix basically wants to reconstruct post launch. This is embarrassing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
1. I guess but there were some nice views especially at the end.
2. Okay
3. Not really.
4. Not a problem of this chapter and this chapter has more story and plot revelations that 1-8 combined basically.
5. Huh?
6. Not true at all, you don't have to use stealth at all or else I would've hated it too.
7. Subjective lmao I'll give you that it's a bit repetive but the end payoff was worth it.
8. Yeah it's long. And by long I mean the only chapter that feels like a chapter length, instead of the super short rest of the chapters.

However I seem to be completely alone in my like of 13 so don't listen to me

How is the ring being terrible a not really?

Like you literally just hold down a button and kill things. For well over an hour.

While slowwalking down ugly hallways that are filled with random jump scares.

Making it sound like you MUST stealth because you cannot do anything else is the hyperbole, people don't need to be dreading the chapter for being a forced shitty stealth section, other reasons, fine. But not this one.

When I say you can't do shit, I mean you can't attack as normal and stuck with a gimmick ring. I did not say the stealth was the issue.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The wait for the PC version now seems like less of a wait somehow. Maybe they will fix PS4 frame pacing along the way, too.

More like once the game has been fully patched, they'll release FFXV for the PC.

Meaning, maybe 2018 or 2019.

ZenTzen

Those last chapters really do need heavy adjustments and expansions but damn, all this stuff should have been in the base game

Also the avatar thing just seems stupid to me

Foffy

Banned
The positive thing about this is that the team is still committed to working on the game and improving what they can in the main campaign not just in small fixes but in substantial additions like more cutscenes and voiced events, etc.

The negative thing about this is that it becomes more and more apparent that XV is work in progress, long after it ships. In a year plus when all the DLC is done and support the game finally ends, it'll be super interesting to see what state the game is in compared to launch.

It does make me worry about future FF games, though.

Could VIIR face this same problem? What was the last main FF release that wasn't a mismanaged project?

A Realm Reborn doesn't count. That was an apology for FFXIV Legacy.

Toth

Still disgusted by that change. Just because older games had set classes for characters doesn't mean they all should. V, VII, VIII and X all had everyone could learn everything. XII regressed in that respect.

Yeah but XII's characters were TOO changeable, thanks to the rather worthless Quickening system that rarely did the damage it was supposed to and not really being all that difference power wise between characters. V got away with it because you only had those 4 characters the whole game (technically :D ). VII got away with it because Limit Breaks were so diverse and allowed you to cater playing styles to their uses. VIII also had very useful character specific limit breaks that were all useful in many different circumstances. X did not allow that level of customization until late game (well, early if you are in the International version).

I suppose it comes down to if you like to create a static party of 3 or not for your adventures.

mollipen

And yeah, I totally spaced on the stupid "cautious" movement mode that pollutes the game too often. GET RID OF THAT PLEASE

I don't see any patch fixing ch13. It's garbage straight to the core. The only way they can save it is by cutting it out of the game and making a new chapter from scratch.

Bladenic

How is the ring being terrible a not really?

Like you literally just hold down a button and kill things. For well over an hour.

While slowwalking down ugly hallways that are filled with random jump scares.

God the walking was annoying, but that was present in every dungeon/area with enemies. Not exclusive to 13 (not defending the walking though).

Nomura created a mess
|
Tabata came to fix
|
Tabata created a mess
|
Tabata came to fix

LOL

Now I am curious, which one is better:

The current situation.

or

Let Nomura make his VERSUS epic, without telling ppl there are more to come. We got a more complete game that is FFXV. It also shipped 5m. The team announced to continue to support with XV-2.
Tabata wouldn't have this mess if this was not for SE.

Stop trying to portray Nomura like he is god-tier or something. He is not without his faults. This shit is getting annoying in every FFXV thread.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah but XII's characters were TOO changeable, thanks to the rather worthless Quickening system that rarely did the damage it was supposed to and not really being all that difference power wise between characters. V got away with it because you only had those 4 characters the whole game (technically :D ). VII got away with it because Limit Breaks were so diverse and allowed you to cater playing styles to their uses. VIII also had very useful character specific limit breaks that were all useful in many different circumstances. X did not allow that level of customization until late game (well, early if you are in the International version).

I suppose it comes down to if you like to create a static party of 3 or not for your adventures.

XII HD should add reclassing. No problem with set classes, just don't lock players in.

Saying Limit Breaks add significant diversity is a bit of a stretch. Unless you wanted to drop Aura and spam Lion Heart it was a pretty meaningless change, your roles could be what you want.

GunBR

Got the game day one but haven't played yet because of the end of the semester and upcoming finals. Any word on when the first patches are coming?

Also for those saying the stealth is horrible in the game, is it worse than The Order?
There's gonna be a patch with New Game + in december
But the ones from this thread will only show up in 2017

And about the stealth
there's a really quick section at the first half (5 minutes) of the game and near the end there's a section where you can use stealth, but isn't obligatory

As somebody that is on a media blackout and won't be playing FFXV for awhile, I'm kinda concerned about this. Are they gonna water down the difficulty of a chapter?

I can't read the link cuz spoilers. Plz help me GAF.

Chapter in question serves no real purpose other than to piss you off and make you hate FFXV. Trust me. The director's cut should have that chapter as a cutscene only and not make you play garbage design that should have the people involved fired.

HotHamBoy

Day one buyers always taking the L.

That's been the case since last gen, sadly.

On the other hand, it's pretty great to be able to fix a game instead of it being stuck in a messy state.

Man, just look how far The Witcher 3 has come since launch. Bloodborne got some much needed improvements, too. Or an even better example is Driveclub.

Honestly, these days people really should just mentally add 3 months to the release date of any game. You get a better product for less money.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The positive thing about this is that the team is still committed to working on the game and improving what they can in the main campaign not just in small fixes but in substantial additions like more cutscenes and voiced events, etc.

The negative thing about this is that it becomes more and more apparent that XV is work in progress, long after it ships. In a year plus when all the DLC is done and support the game finally ends, it'll be super interesting to see what state the game is in compared to launch.

My plan was always to jump into this game after the inevitable GOTY/complete edition releases in 1-1.5 years because I figured patches and the DLC would be significant additions and I'm in no rush to play. Like you, I'll be very curious how that version of the game compares to what is out now.

LiK

Chapter in question serves no real purpose other than to piss you off and make you hate FFXV. Trust me. The director's cut should have that chapter as a cutscene only and not make you play garbage design that should have the people involved fired.

They could cut out 80% of that chapter and it'll be fine. Make the rest a cutscene.

Are you fucking serious

Stop playing right now people

Do not get up to that chapter until the patch hits

I repeat

DO NOT PLAY THE WORST CHAPTER IN FF HISTORY UNTIL IT'S FIXED

Fuck which chapter? Who the hell edits story AFTER! This game should have been delayed again IMO

diablogod

I don't see any patch fixing ch13. It's garbage straight to the core. The only way they can save it is by cutting it out of the game and making a new chapter from scratch.

I think it would be fine if it was 20-30 minutes long, I actually really like the vibe of the chapter when it starts.

KyleCross

Are you fucking kidding me?! I've taken a few days break from the game to do other stuff and was ready to jump back in and now I'm basically being told by Square-Enix "Don't." I'm only up to chapter 5, how long am I suppose to wait for these patches, 6 months? I guess I shouldn't have dropped $60 on this because by the time I'm able to play it the way it's "suppose" to be it's probably going to be half-price or more.

ZangBa

Man, you guys are really making it hard for me to not rush through the story to experience this apparent travesty.

I have the Deluxe Edition, but I won't be starting it anytime soon.

These massive updates better be free.

:/
All updates post-launch will be free. Where did you get the idea of 'paid' updates? :p

Do we have any idea how long these mid-term cutscene additions will take?
I mean for all we know, they could do it along with DLC episodes so maybe the first big mid-tern update releases along the DLC?

ZeroX03

Banned
Fuck which chapter? Who the hell edits story AFTER! This game should have been delayed again IMO

I don't really think it needs to be spoiler tagged but:

Chapter
~13~
is the bad one.

Chapter
~09~
is where you should stop and do side quests, where you have the most things open to you without being in the post game.

I wonder if I should just stop playing, wait a few months and restart the game after all this is said and done..
I got Skyrim still. World of final fantasy is totally unplayable without the Pro being fixed..

Top Bottom