• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombless

Be careful! Nendoroids are one of those things where you think to yourself "Oh, this is cute, and so cheap, I'm going to pre-order/add it to my order!". Then, months later, you start to realize the small Nendoroid army coming into form, as you buy more and more [after all, you need to collect that set...right?].

It is a scary cycle!

I've cut back on my purchase of them [there's too many being released!], but I can definitely see why so many people collect them. Interchangable parts/accessories, lower price-point, and the "kawaii" factor.

Some of them just make me go "DAWWW!" when I see them.

You have been warned!

Oh yes, those low low prices and all the different stuff you can do (Plastikitty's Iron Man article was a riot) are damn tempting. But I will wait until 2014 to start on Nendos. Too much stuff on the plate already and 2 holiday trips in between.

Also I'm out of shelf space, but that's a weak excuse.

Mandarake haven't sent me a payment request for the Gurren Lagann Riobot I ordered a couple of days ago. Hope some dude didn't buy it in the store and screw me.

Okay, I made a quick myfigurecollection page. Looking at it, it doesn't seem like I have that many. But then I bought some a few years back, and only just got into them again recently. I'll have a house full of boxes soon enough, I'm sure. I also have a bunch of the old Kaiyodo Evangelion figures, but fuck trying to find them all on that list.

You've got some real OG stuff in there. Kusanagi high five. Also...

For anyone interested, here's my MFC page: http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/Giolon

I've started taking more photos of my figures lately, so expect a lot more to show up there. Also, if you have any photo requests, I'd be happy to oblige where possible. Someone already asked for a specific photo of Momohime and Kongiku together in a certain arrangement that I happily provided.

Both of you have this:

http://myfigurecollection.net/picture/34836&ref=item%3A389

Which is really cool, and I want to ask you to hit me with some pics Giolon, but I'm afraid I'll have to buy it after :p

Giolon

Mandarake haven't sent me a payment request for the Gurren Lagann Riobot I ordered a couple of days ago. Hope some dude didn't buy it in the store and screw me.
You've got some real OG stuff in there. Kusanagi high five. Also...

Both of you have this:

Which is really cool, and I want to ask you to hit me with some pics Giolon, but I'm afraid I'll have to buy it after :p

Can't hotlink images from MFC, nobody can see. You get a generic badge like this:
mfc80x15.png

Either re-host or link to the image page. I may only be telling you this so I can assault you with photos of whatever figure that is. ;)

Standard size, I guess. The funny thing is, for the last several figures I've had to keep them in their boxes since I don't yet have a display case to place them in. Since dust is a vital enemies to figures, especially those with glossy/intricate surfaces, I want them protected the moment they come out of their box.

I'm starting to get a sizable wall full of unopened figures. It's beginning to look a lot like Mandarake... O_O

Yup.. Mine is starting to look the same >.<

Thought I'd post my cabinets as they look now. It's a bit messy, and that is only about 30% of the figs that I have.. Maybe less!
9153205399_b3acab993b_k.jpg

:D

I bought her way back when she came out. Pre-order and all. I couldn't believe how much her price skyrocketed.

I know right. There's a tiny mark on the leg of mine and I was nearly going to be weird about it to the point of buying a spare until I saw the price she goes for now. Nope!

Can't hotlink images from MFC, nobody can see. You get a generic badge like this:
mfc80x15.png

Either re-host or link to the image page. I may only be telling you this so I can assault you with photos of whatever figure that is. ;)

Ah thanks for that. I edited in a link instead. It was Mononoke. Another one that I have to imagine has risen prohibitively in price. Probably deserves the pictures actually, since I couldn't find any great ones when I looked just now.

chrono01

Here we go : Preorder list http://myfigurecollection.net/list/19082

11 so far and I intend to keep it there for now. The following months are pretty booked and with the possible delays it's better to keep some leeway I guess.
Nice start to your collection, Bombless! Most notably the Momohime/Kongiku figures. Such a beautiful set with a really unique look. They look great together.

My small but growing collection! Still some stuff i'm in the process of adding to this list but most of the recent stuff is there now. 5 of the ordered items arriving within the next weekish. My collection is rather female-lite. I'm trying to fix that in a future order :p I spend too much money on western figures and legos is part of the problem!

owned
ordered
wished

and goddamn chrono01... you are what I am scared I could turn into :p But good on you man!
It can be easy to fall into the "Pit of Pre-order Despair" if you are not careful which, in turn, causes your collection to grow at a pace faster than you originally intended. That's what happened to me. -_-

I am trying to slow things down, though, and I don't pre-order as many figures as I used to. My Ordered list is pretty big, but most of those were ordered a nice while ago [those Alter delays!], or in some cases, are already paid for [such as the Exclusives].

Nice selection of Mega Man figures, BTW. I take it you're a fan [me too!]? Also, the Nintendo-themed line of figma's are great. My personal favorite would probably be Samus, the amount of poses you can do with her is insane [all of them look good, too].

Okay, I made a quick myfigurecollection page. Looking at it, it doesn't seem like I have that many. But then I bought some a few years back, and only just got into them again recently. I'll have a house full of boxes soon enough, I'm sure. I also have a bunch of the old Kaiyodo Evangelion figures, but fuck trying to find them all on that list.
If you just look at the number it might seem small, but people underestimate the amount of space some of these figures take up. Also, as I said prior, it's not so much about the quantity but the quality of figures. It seems like you're good on that end. You're most recent purchases [Momohime, Kongiku, Hacker] are all great, and ones on order [Zero Suit Samus, Tharja, Asuka, Kobato, Estellise, etc.] will all be great I'm sure. I can vouch for Zero Suit Samus, as I own the previous release. It's amazing.

You're off to a great start!

For anyone interested, here's my MFC page: http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/Giolon

I've started taking more photos of my figures lately, so expect a lot more to show up there. Also, if you have any photo requests, I'd be happy to oblige where possible. Someone already asked for a specific photo of Momohime and Kongiku together in a certain arrangement that I happily provided.
Some very nice figures here! I see you're collecting the Seven Deadly Sins line as well. They really are unique and will look incredible when posed together. I just love the idea behind them, it seems really cool.

Nothing else really needs to be said. You have a great collection.

Keep up the great work!

Thought I'd post my cabinets as they look now. It's a bit messy, and that is only about 30% of the figs that I have.. Maybe less!
Those cardboard boxes can definitely take up more space than you'd think. I always [horribly] imagine the whole thing toppling down, but I have them stacked relatively secure so that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, nice picture! I especially like your set of Alter beauties. They do some incredible work.

Is that an embarrassed Samus I see in the lower-left corner. Judging from her expression, I'm guessing either:

A) She forgot to re-fuel her ship and it's about to crash [on a nearby planet inhabited by, you guessed it, Space Pirates

B) Link won't stop with his "HIYAH!"

SUPARSTARX

Bleh ... those Medicom figures... they're gonna be like $300 USD plus shipping with barely any accessories. Shits insanely overpriced.

LiK

UPS guy is gonna hate me. I have three Hot Toys figures coming next week and each one is coming on a different day and they all need signatures...lol

my D-Arts Blastoise has yet to arrive ... stupid german customs always taking so long (with EMS the package took less time to get from japan to germany, than just lying around inside the german customs department in frankfurt ....) PLUS they will also want 19% customs tax from me ;) GERMANY - FUCK YEAH!

I got the Medicom Ultra Detail figs of Tanuki Mario and LoZ1 Link tonight, looking forward to setting them up in my office tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be getting D-Arts Raidou's shipping confirmation soon too.

Is it cool in this thread to advertise sales at all? I am trying to sell some things on MFC right now for space reasons and I would definitely be up for giving a deal for a gaffer.

So...I'm guessing Hot Toys Hulk won't fit in a Detolf, eh?

(Also, nice Thread, Johnsmith!)
You'd have to remove one of the glass shelves. I did that to fit some of the taller Sideshow statues I have:

iTA6xrzbjUkuU.JPG

If you want to reduce the amount of dead space above the figure, you could also buy a cheap acrylic stand to put him on which will rise him up a bit for display. (I've got two on the way to do that very thing for the figures on the bottom)

Got this back in December when I was in Tokyo playing the damn claw machines.

Also got a few other goodies while I was there; like a 1/48 scale Gundam and an Asuka 3.33 model, so I'll take some pics of those too. Planning to go back again this year and hopefully I tone down how much I buy...maybe.

Jube3

You'd have to remove one of the glass shelves. I did that to fit some of the taller Sideshow statues I have:

iTA6xrzbjUkuU.JPG

If you want to reduce the amount of dead space above the figure, you could also buy a cheap acrylic stand to put him on which will rise him up a bit for display. (I've got two on the way to do that very thing for the figures on the bottom)

You can also buy these little locks they sell to modify the detolf. If you're interested I can find the link but it lets you place the shelfs along the metal sides of the Detolf. Nice collection man!

I just started test fitting some lights in my detolfs. I'm really happy with how they look with the lights off and when the room is lit. I'm working on how to hide/minimize the ugly wires now, I think im going to buy some sort of cover to put along it. Still a work in progress but Im happy with what it so far.

Excuse the crappy phone pic.
9155446611_4c7943615e.jpg

The stuff in the display is temporary, I just moved and im still unpacking stuff. This week should be awesome with Iron Man, Odin, Snake eyes, Red Skull coming in :D

Wow a new thread. Totally subbed.

Here's my MFC page for the new thread: http://myfigurecollection.net/collection/meijiatron

Pretty happy overall with my collection so far, but I'm starting to slow down my preorders. The 300+ a month was getting unsustainable.

Nice F4F Zelda figures. I remember reaaaaally wanting the Phazon suit Samus they did but having no cash at the time.

Billy figma owners unite!

Lol oh my. TIL indeed. They even did a halloween version:

figma_billy3.jpg

Torraz

[IG]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3825/9153205399_b3acab993b_k.jpg[/IMG]

I know this is figure HQ, but....

Dat WoW- classic CE.

Bombless

I stopped playing WoW after Frozen Throne yet I still buy the collector's editions. Lovely display sir!

Takuan

Couldn't pull the trigger on Tharja. Beautiful figure, but a little too suggestive to be fit for public display. Ah well.

Amiami finally changed Raven's release date (now summer 2013) and sent me a payment request for June. 6K shipping. Wonder what it would have been without the 2 delays.

You can also buy these little locks they sell to modify the detolf. If you're interested I can find the link but it lets you place the shelfs along the metal sides of the Detolf. Nice collection man!
Yeah, I posted a link to those locks in the last thread.

Thanks on the collection front! Though that's 2 of the 6 detolfs I have now. I have room for maybe four more Hot Toys figures but once they arrive, I'm officially out of space.:(

I just started test fitting some lights in my detolfs. I'm really happy with how they look with the lights off and when the room is lit. I'm working on how to hide/minimize the ugly wires now, I think im going to buy some sort of cover to put along it. Still a work in progress but Im happy with what it so far.

Excuse the crappy phone pic.
9155446611_4c7943615e.jpg

The stuff in the display is temporary, I just moved and im still unpacking stuff. This week should be awesome with Iron Man, Odin, Snake eyes, Red Skull coming in :D
That's really nice. I'm not usually big on displaying one figure per section in the case but I like the boxes behind them and the LED strips. Nice work!

Couldn't pull the trigger on Tharja. Beautiful figure, but a little too suggestive to be fit for public display. Ah well.

Don't be a prude. I used to think swimsuit figures were unfit for display. This only lasted until I was browsing HLJ one day and stumbled upon a figure that was some anime chick bent over on all fours getting pounded by a dog. I shit you not. I forget what I was actually searching for, but that certainly wasn't it.

The first D-arts I've pre-ordered and it turns out looking horrible.
A review on Raidou left a bad taste in my mouth regarding the line, and I seriously hope that mine doesn't look like THAT.

Jessicat

The first D-arts I've pre-ordered and it turns out looking horrible.
A review on Raidou left a bad taste in my mouth regarding the line, and I seriously hope that mine doesn't look like THAT.
Oh geeze, I pre-ordered a few to cover for bad paintjobs but D: Hoping for the best now ;>> If all else fails, there's still that super awesome Megahouse Raidou to look forward to? ^^;

Bombless

Quick and dirty mobile picture of Cobra. He came in yesterday but since I was on a Asura's Wrath marathon I didn't even know!

IffpsRhl.jpg

Really impressed by the packaging and the amount of stuff that came with the box.

M3nwguil.jpg

So many hands o_O The stage was a complete surprise too. Now I can't wait for Lady to finally get released.

chrono01

That D-Arts Raidou looks like a bootleg. That's horribly disappointing.

I didn't pre-order him, but I definitely feel bad for those that did. Hopefully the one in the review is only a few of the entire batch that looks like that, because if it's a widespread issue...

I'm just happy that the Pokémon D-Arts line is great [so far]. At the very least, the upcoming Megahouse Raidou should be quality, so fans can at least grab that.

Even still, what happened to D-Arts Raidou never should have occurred. :(

Jessicat

That D-Arts Raidou looks like a bootleg. That's horribly disappointing.

I didn't pre-order him, but I definitely feel bad for those that did. Hopefully the one in the review is only a few of the entire batch that looks like that, because if it's a widespread issue...

I'm just happy that the Pokémon D-Arts line is great [so far]. At the very least, the upcoming Megahouse Raidou should be quality, so fans can at least grab that.

Even still, what happened to D-Arts Raidou never should have occurred. :(
Seriously, I've got a couple of the digimon D-Arts and they're pretty good for the most part (one does have a weird paint mark that shouldn't be on it, and one of my spare/unboxed figures had a small part break off of it while I was trying to interchange parts ._.; ), which is why I got multiple Raidous, just incase something looked bad/off with the paint, or if something breaks I'll have back-ups ^^;
Of course, I'll be getting the megahouse Raidou as well, can't have too much SMT :p

Previous thread wall of shame:

1. SUPARSTARX Posts: 681
  2. johnsmith Posts: 670
  3. LiK Posts: 531
  4. Freezasaurus Posts: 342
  5. Ragingnight Posts: 297
  6. sixteen-bit Posts: 274
  7. chrono01 Posts: 241
  8. cajunator Posts: 236
  9. Dabookerman Posts: 221
  10. Barrow Roll Posts: 210
  11. Razgriz-Specter Posts: 208
  12. NEO0MJ Posts: 182
  13. Samurai_Heart Posts: 165
  14. sca2511 Posts: 145
  15. Giolon Posts: 143
  16. Ken Posts: 140
  17. DeadRockstar Posts: 138
  18. NihonTiger90 Posts: 138
  19. Anastacio Posts: 138
  20. Dragonzord Posts: 128
Wow I thought I had more than that.
would have bet 100+ more.

chrono01

Seriously, I've got a couple of the digimon D-Arts and they're pretty good for the most part (one does have a weird paint mark that shouldn't be on it, and one of my spare/unboxed figures had a small part break off of it while I was trying to interchange parts ._.; ), which is why I got multiple Raidous, just incase something looked bad/off with the paint, or if something breaks I'll have back-ups ^^;
Of course, I'll be getting the megahouse Raidou as well, can't have too much SMT :p
It really is unfortunate.

I know flaws happen in finished products a lot, although they happen less frequently [Alter, Max Factory, Native, Orchid Seed] with some manufacturers than others [Good Smile Company, Kotobukiya, Megahouse]. I still love Good Smile Company, Megahouse, and Kotobukiya [the latter of which is releasing some very impressive figures as of late, such as Asuna from SAO]. It's just that their QC can differ at some times, while Alter, Max Factory, Native, and Orchid Seed are more..."consistent".

If the Raidou D-Arts is a widespread issue, though, with a large percentage being affected? That's a problem, and would definitely be seen as a "warning" for me to pre-order anything from that particular company until I see photos of the released product.

But yes, Raidou from Megahouse show be amazing. I didn't expect we'd get a figure based on the series since it's relatively considered niche, so I'm happy someone like Megahouse picked it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom