• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster - PS3/Vita, 2013 [Amazon: $40, Trailer in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
FFX won a poll for favorite FF in Famitsu, this should get some decent sales in Japan at least.

Not only that but back in 2006-2007, it was the number 1 game in the Famitsu polls.

Day one!

Although in a perfect world where good things happen all the time, there will be a HD FFXII ZJS with a job changing capability (aka the FFT job system)....
I think it's a better game for making you pick a job and commit to it (and really, the assorted jobs are extremely flexible, especially with six party members).

However, the game really should have FFX-2's new game+ (levels go back to 1, but keep all equipment and abilities) and let you pick new jobs the second time around; it'd drastically improve replayability.

Hobbun

I hope your wrong lol. I want to enjoy it the summer when im off from college :)

I highly doubt it will be out before you go back to school. The absolute earliest is probably September, and it’s almost assuredly going to be later than that.

And KH HD 1.5 Remix is releasing this fall, so I doubt SE would release two big catalog titles so close together.

KH 1.5 HD Remix is certainly coming out in the West before TGS because they're extremely likely to want to be ready to announce the 2.5 HD Remix.

I'd like to think that a collection of FFXII/FFT is coming soon as well, but I don't see something like that getting announced so soon.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Who knows, FFXII being bundled with Dirge of Cerberus might not be as surprising since it's the only other FF PS2 game that's not FFXI. :p

Who know, FFXII being bundled with Dirge of Cerberus might not be as surprising since it's the only other FF PS2 game that's not FFXI. :p
It'd be more likely to be bundled with Crisis Core, but ugh. I don't want to replay either of those games. Crisis Core at least had a great ending, it's just that the gameplay was such a slog.

Seda

I played and completed Dirge of Cerberus.

I don't remember anything about it other than I didn't like any aspect of it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I don't remember any SE developed game having a WW launch, especially FF (maybe XIV?). Their latest HD collection (KH) and old game remake (DQ) all got released first in Japan. What makes you think this would be different?

XIII-2 was fairly close, as was Dissidia 012. LRFFXIII will be too.

Dirge of Cerberus feels like a game that was originally designed using lock-on for the guns, and was much more fun for it (think of Devil May Cry's gun combat; lots of twitch-reflex shooting and dodging), but suddenly Resident Evil 4 came out and everyone loved it so they decided to drastically alter the gameplay without really changing the enemy design.

It really is one of the first post-RE4 over-the-shoulder shooters and I guaran-fucking-tee that it wasn't that way throughout the whole design process.

Bah, Rikku is where it's at.

In FFX, yes, but wow they they go overboard with her fanservice in X-2.

In FF trope terms, Rikku was the cute and spunky girl in FFX, with Lulu being the sex bomb. In FFX-2, they made her into the sex bomb, and yuna into the cute and spunky.

Honestly, I didn't much like the change.

alexein

I remember when FFX came out in 98, it was such a hype even without internet.
Now isnt it sad the only games i expect from square is remake of kingdom hearts and FF X and maybe XII.
What are you doing square?

I remember when FFX came out in 98, it was such a hype even without internet.
Now isnt it sad the only games i expect from square is remake of kingdom hearts and FF X and maybe XII.
What are you doing square?

Whatever they want with all that Lightning money.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Who knows, FFXII being bundled with Dirge of Cerberus might not be as surprising since it's the only other FF PS2 game that's not FFXI. :p
No one wants this game.

Except for maybe Noi.

For being a big FF7 fan, I never played Dirge of Cerburus.

How bad was it?
Identity Crisis Central. That game did not know what it wanted to be at all. Do you want to be an FPS? Devil May Cry? TPS? How did you people think over the game design for this game? Settle on one thing prior to designing your levels. Some of the narrative points weren't to my liking either.

I also feel as though it's one of Hamauzu's weaker soundtracks, but that may be because I just didn't like the game.

sqwarlock

Gah, this thread has me wanting to listen to the soundtrack again. Unfortunately I'm at work and YouTube's quality isn't that great. Anybody know of any sites that have the full album available? Grooveshark's got a lot of the songs, but not the full OST and especially not in any sort of reliable order.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
God, Dirge just wasn't good. Suppressed that shit like nobodies business.
Definitely don't want it tainting FFXII HD. Couldn't they just package the latter with FF Tactics War of the Lions HD, with both being Ivalice set?
Dump Dirge with Crisis Core. It'd at least be consistent, plus CC more than makes up for Dirge's mediocrity. They could call it the G Report collection... :p

Hobbun

I've never played Dirge. It just never caught my interest even when I was a big Final Fantasy fan.

I think it was because it was a shooter, and really had no desire to play it.

Ithil

I just think it would be better to wait a few years an get a super high quality remake. I'm not saying I'm not happy about the remake though I'm just saying I don't particularly like the trend of hq releases lately.

Some games really need it, like Shadow of the Colossus, which got a stable frame rate and clear graphics at last. Ambitious, console maxing games like that need the restraints taken off.

SkylineRKR

God, Dirge just wasn't good. Suppressed that shit like nobodies business.
Definitely don't want it tainting FFXII HD. Couldn't they just package the latter with FF Tactics War of the Lions HD, with both being Ivalice set?
Dump Dirge with Crisis Core. It'd at least be consistent, plus CC more than makes up for Dirge's mediocrity. They could call it the G Report collection... :p

Ivalice... oh gawd, I just got visions of a Vagrant Story HD. ...Never mind.

But DoC shouldn't be bundled with XII indeed. If it needs to be HD'd so bad, bundled with CC makes the most sense.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I can't believe you people are talking like DoC should ever be re-released. :p

Shahed

Ivalice... oh gawd, I just got visions of a Vagrant Story HD. ...Never mind.

But DoC shouldn't be bundled with XII indeed. If it needs to be HD'd so bad, bundled with CC makes the most sense.

In a hypothetical Ivalice collection, I'd much rather have Tactics over Vagrant Story to be bundled with FFXII. Mainly because I haven't played the former :p

But even then, it makes more sense what with it actually being called Final Fantasy. Besides even if I loved Vagrant Story ages ago, I found I just could not play it when I got it off PSN. The controls and systems just seemed to dated for my liking, and I stopped playing before it could tarnish my memory.

Seda

In a hypothetical Ivalice collection, I'd much rather have Tactics over Vagrant Story to be bundled with FFXII. Mainly because I haven't played the former :p

But even then, it makes more sense what with it actually being called Final Fantasy. Besides even if I loved Vagrant Story ages ago, I found I just could not play it when I got it off PSN. The controls and systems just seemed to dated for my liking, and I stopped playing before it could tarnish my memory.

I played Vagrant Story for the first time this year.

The incredibly low inventory limit, the need to use a storage chest, the loading and required saving each time you use the chest. Man that was awful.

Shahed

I played Vagrant Story for the first time this year.

The incredibly low inventory limit, the need to use a storage chest, the loading and required saving each time you use the chest. Man that was awful.
Yep. A part of me feels sad when I make a point of not recommending it when someone asks for PS1 games.

Seda

Yep. A part of me feels sad when I make a point of not recommending it when someone asks for PS1 games.

The characters, storyline, and dialogue(!) were all top-notch though.

Too bad the game itself is not a whole lot of fun to play.

EDIT: Well this thread has certainly gone off topic, perhaps these sorts of discussions should go to the community thread. Perhaps just close this one.

Vashetti

Banned
The characters, storyline, and dialogue(!) were all top-notch though.

Too bad the game itself is not a whole lot of fun to play.

EDIT: Well this thread has certainly gone off topic, perhaps these sorts of discussions should go to the community thread. Perhaps just close this one.

I think we're all just a bit disappointed to be honest.

We've been waiting ages for news and then BAM, here's loads of new screenshots, oh and a trailer on Monday?! Awesome!

Oh, the trailer's shit. Move along everyone.

Hobbun

In a sense, it feels like having that candy dangled in front of you and then pulled back right before you can take it.

We see an official announcement, new screenshots and a new trailer coming, so hype level is increased. And then as Vashetti indicated, the trailer is pretty poor and now, with our increased hype to play, we realize it most likely won’t be out for at least another 6 months (at the minimum).

Like I said earlier, when reading up on the announcement, I really had the itch to play FF X again, and a small part of me was hoping we would be seeing this in 3 months. But even though I have this desire to play, I have to temper it as it will still be awhile.

Vagrant Story needs more of a full remake than a simple up conversion. It's gorgeous for a PS1 game, but it's still a PS1 game.

I still want to see Squeenix Montreal taking on the Vagrant Story IP, though.

Oh, I almost forgot about this. I forgot the J version had english sub (am I right?). As much as I would buy that.. the price is too much. Once I get a bigger memory stick for the vita, I may just buy it via psn.

http://www.finalfantasy.net/x/international-content-final-fantasy-xx2/
Let me cross-post this from the other thread:

Here's what we know.

• 2013 Western Release
  • International Editions for both games. X-2 Last Mission, however, has not been confirmed specifically.
  • PS3 version contains both games on one disc and is $40
  • Vita versions are separate and there are no pricing details
  • CG seems to be updated, but cropped to fit widescreen.
  • Still seems to being using 2 sets of character models, one lower poly and one higher poly, although both are updated. (One for cutscenes, one for battles & lesser cutscenes?)
  • No significant changes to gameplay

Here's what we don't know

• Whether we will have the option to watch the CG in 4:3
  • Anything about dual language or lip-sync
  • Anything about adding animations in non-cg lesser cutscenes
  • Anything about cross buy or cross save
  • If anything will be available digitally
  • Anything about UI changes
  • Anything about an Asian version similar to FFXIII

Here's what we also don't know:
  • Blitz ball will also feature online play XP
In my dreams... wouldn't that be amazing