• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae 2.0 coming in May | Trailer at E3, more at Gamescom

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Another important distinction is that regardless, as of April 10th there already were improvements especially to lock on. Quite a bit of the feedback were things that they also had noticed internally.

much like hitstun despite how much herp derp internet won chest beating there was

Yeap.

lol Matsuda couldn't clear the goblin dungeon.

wmlk

The whole game is centered around the weapon tiering and the animation locks along with the MP management. Heavy swords deal more damage but take longer, and light swords deal less damage but are faster.

If you can cancel out of any animation, then that renders the combo string weapon pretty much useless since you would be able to get out of even the longest animation with the heaviest sword.

Falk

that puzzling face
The whole game is centered around the weapon tiering and the animation locks along with the MP management. Heavy swords deal more damage but take longer, and light swords deal less damage but are faster.

If you can cancel out of any animation, then that renders the combo string weapon pretty much useless since you would be able to get out of even the longest animation with the heaviest sword.

You know what broke the game?

Hiding to regen MP :V

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

I don't think it'll be that lenient. Can't imagine being able to cancel the dragoon move for example.

Falk

that puzzling face
Why would they choose to have a short trailer for something like E3 but bigger coverage at Gamescom? That seems a little odd to me.

Tabata said they wanted to be fully prepared.

Much like watching the ATR before posting.

I kid, it's 80 minutes long lol

wmlk

I don't think it'll be that lenient. Can't imagine being able to cancel the dragoon move for example.
Not the abilities, but being able to cancel the animation of a Zweihander string would be crazy. It'll be interesting to see how the balance the basic attack command.

theofficefan99

Nah, that trailer was only the way it was because they had to re-announce the game pretty much.

To be fair, E3 2013's trailer could be considered "short" especially since FF games usually have at least one 6-8-minute-long trailer. I'm expecting a 2/3 minute trailer this E3.

LuuKyK

Why would they choose to have a short trailer for something like E3 but bigger coverage at Gamescom? That seems a little odd to me.

It is said in the video. There were talks with the marketing team, and it was decided that they aren't ready to show everything they want to show at E3. So basically, lack of time.

Also Gamescom is open to the public isn't it? Square probably sees it as a better opportunity to show the game to their audience their then at E3 which is a media-only event.

AESplusF

Alright I just finished, I was lucky enough to catch it when someone accidentally unlocked it.

As far as characters go:
-Same voice actor but they are going to approach Noctis' voice direction differently.
-Prompto will need to"step it up".
-They will not change Cindy's design, but will try to present her in a less sexual manner.

As far as combat goes:
-A lot of features have already been added since the demo's release and were left out of the demo's release
-Difficulty modes.
-Remappable controls (possibly).

Overall:
-I think they are approaching the feedback in a pretty level-headed way and I don't think anybody should be worried about "Feedback Fantasy".
-Episode Duscae might be periodically patched and treated like a sort of beta. (edit: they aren't sure about this yet, but they say that they would like to.)
-Those who bought the digital version of Type-0 will be able to provide feedback in the surveys with a new different system.

Overall:
-I think they are approaching the feedback in a pretty level-headed way and I don't think anybody should be worried about "Feedback Fantasy".
-Episode Duscae will be periodically patched and treated like a sort of beta.
-Those who bought the digital version of Type-0 will be able to provide feedback in the surveys with a new different system.

It will not be "periodically updated", 2.0 is not confirmed and they said that if it indeed comes, they doubt they will release anything beyond that because of their schedule.

And the first point is only true if you're not talking about the battle system I suppose...

From what Tabata said Cidney, it seems like they're taking the approach that Kagari suggested for her. Which is to keep her design, but knock off all the unnecessary camera angles that they had when she's around.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
10. Battles are too difficult( Japan found battles difficult, NA found them easy; possibility of adding a difficulty option)

UTruHE9.jpg
Yeah, looking at these two I imagine it's very difficult to cater to both the West and Japan.

The priorities and tastes aren't even in remotely the same categories.

LuuKyK

It will not be "periodically updated", 2.0 is not confirmed and they said that if it indeed comes, they doubt they will release anything beyond that because of their schedule.

And the first point is only true if you're not talking about the battle system I suppose...

2.0 is confirmed. The release date is the only thing thats uncertain.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Not the abilities, but being able to cancel the animation of a Zweihander string would be crazy. It'll be interesting to see how the balance the basic attack command.
Yea, maybe it's frame specific like DMC games.

theofficefan99

It is said in the video. There were talks with the marketing team, and it was decided that they aren't ready to show everything they want to show at E3. So basically, lack of time.

Also Gamescom is open to the public isn't it? Square probably sees it as a better opportunity to show the game to their audience their then at E3 which is a media-only event.

Ah, what a shame. Though I'm sure they could throw together a story trailer of some sort, considering that I'm sure every scene related to the main plot is done by now, or nearly done. At least the CGI.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Alright I just finished, I was lucky enough to catch it when someone accidentally unlocked it.

As far as characters go:
-Same voice actor but they are going to approach Noctis' voice direction differently.
-Prompto will need to"step it up".
-They will not change Cindy's design, but will try to present her in a less sexual manner.

As far as combat goes:
-A lot of features have already been added since the demo's release and were left out of the demo's release
-Difficulty modes.
-Remappable controls (possibly).

Overall:
-Episode Duscae might be periodically patched and treated like a sort of beta. (edit: they aren't sure about this yet, but they say that they would like to.)

Thank goodness they aren't changing Noctis' voice actor. And those other character changes sound like a good compromise.

2.0 is confirmed. The release date is the only thing thats uncertain.

Only if they confirmed it outside of the ATR, because they said more than once that they don't know if they'll get permission to release the update (and if they couldn't do it, then they would show the 2.0 version during events).

LuuKyK

Only if they confirmed it outside of the ATR, because they said more than once that they don't know if they'll get permission to release the update (and if they couldn't do it, then they would show the 2.0 version during events).

I am pretty sure they were questioning if there would be another ATR and not the 2.0 update, but I could be wrong.

Crocodile

"she's a mechanic, so the dress is normal (for google image searches pushing up the most clicked pics by horny boys)!"

Oh wait, what's this?

If you don't infantilise the females to "girls", and instead search for "women mechanics" with Safesearch turned on:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.91665533,d.d2s&dpr=1

:p

I'm still seeing a lot of "hot" and "pin-up" mechanics in that search too though (to say nothing of those specific sub categories) so I'm not sure if your point is as salient as you'd like :p But again, when they say "normal" it seems obvious they mean "normal" for the archetype not "normal" for a real life person. As least I hope/assume given the snippet we have.

The "fantasy based on reality thing" and the relatively normal (albeit boy bandy) look of the main cast, including Stella is why she sticks out and just seems like a pandering character design.

Well, I certainly agree that this seems to be one of the more grounded Final Fantasy games but I don't think every character needs to be within the same standard deviation of the mean of "grounded" design. I can agree she stands out but as to whether is so far off the mean of the rest of the cast (playable or not) as to be inadmissible I suppose is super subjective. Which I also suppose is both obvious and fine :p

I will say I think she was clearly designed with some cute/sex appeal in mind which I think is fine (same way I don't think Tifa is egregious in context of like Aerith of Yuffie). I assume by not an "erotic character" (though as a native English speaker I don't think I'd ever use that choice of words) I guess they mean they were going for a cheerful, energetic woman who was attractive rather than a bombshell whose sexuality was at the forefront of their personality?

As an aside (open question to anybody), does "pandering" just mean "thing I know a lot of other people actively like but I don't like or makes me comfortable"? Is context insensitivity what pushes something into the realm of pandering?

I do like that alternate design that been tossed around but I also like the design as is. I guess I'm easy to please? I'm curious and look forward to seeing how the feedback, gameplay and non-gameplay, is incorporated into updated builds and the final product :)

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
So they are keeping Noctis current voice actor? If so that's great.

Do we happen to know who he (or anyone else) is? I never heard any unveilings to that end. A lot of people were saying Ignis is Gideon Emery, and that it's "quite obvious", but... I disagree.

AESplusF

To me it didn't really seem like they were going to be changing things left and right based on feedback, a lot of the issues that players had started being addressed before they even received the feedback. And it sounds like they expect things to work themselves out over time with careful tweaking. Or in the case of difficulty and the camera, they are going to give the player options, so I don't really see any problem in that.

As a side note, the presentation was pretty entertaining, especially as someone learning to develop games, I'm glad they'll continue doing these.

Man the demo was disappointing. The visuals and music were cool, but the gameplay itself felt incredibly clunky and the voice acting was garbage.

I don't even know if the fixing the combat system would make the demo significantly better. It didn't really show off any role playing elements well, which is important in an RPG.

i bet you didn't master the combat

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Man...seeing this kind of development presentation is refreshing as hell.
Thank you FFXIV ARR.

Frankly, I am beginning to genuinely wonder if the Square Enix I spent my late adolescence through mid-twenties with -- the one between 2004 and 2013 or so that's been awkward, aloof, and perpetually estranged -- has in fact been replaced with competence.

Top Bottom