• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First details on the next Hitman game (IO, PC/next-gen, open levels, no checkpoints)

njr

This is music to my ears. I've played every Hitman to date and by far Absolution was the worst of its kind. Hopefully they retcon it, no references to the previous game. Sadly it took one bad game for them to realize the mistake they made, but I await more good news about this.

The most interesting part is that it is Xbox One, PS4 and PC only. Hopefully IOI can push the machines, and make bigger worlds thanks to being freed from the current generation of consoles and their limitations.

theJohann

I don't understand some people. First, they whine and whine and whine and whine and whine about Absolution and all that they think is wrong with it. Then, when the developers actually listen to the gamers and are promising to try to improve on those aspects, the same people are all "lol, sorry, won't buy, this just reeks of desperation". I mean, do some of you people get off on the constant negativity in your lives or why is it so impossible to be at least (very) cautiously optimistic? Sure, the execution might still be lacking in the end, but at least they are trying to listen to even the worst negative nancies and improve things, which should be commendable instead of being met with constant hostility & negativity towards the devs.

Yes, but it is frankly quite sad that they first needed to spend so much money, time, and effort on a fundamentally flawed design before realising that what the fans wanted was the best route to take all along.

Hung_real

drawing inspiration from past titles like Contracts and Blood Money to fulfil the core Hitman fantasy

Hmmm the levels can't get any worse than Absolution thats for sure

Still happy to see more Agent 47

Moff

But those kinda made sense, wouldn't a good hitman figure out where his targets are and mark them in some way? The Instinct magic stuff was just... odd.
both was pretty magical if you ask me. but yeah, as I said, I prefer the map, it just fit and felt better

Non-linear and checkpoint-less? Blood Money-inspired? I'll need to see the proof first, IO.

The PC/Next-gen focus should hopefully remove technical constraints as an excuse for the small/linear level sizes.

jimi_dini

Fact that they need a pre-announcement reassurance letter is a bad sign.

this right here

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-04-hitman-absolution-returns-interview

"According to lead producer Hakan Abrak, there's more to Absolution than meets the eye. Hardcore fans can, if they wish, play the game the way they're used to"

http://www.officialplaystationmagaz...ion-ps3-interview-with-director-tore-blystad/
OPM How is the level design going? You mentioned bigger parts of the game are on the way.

TB The way that we design the game this time is a little different from the previous games. For example Hitman Blood Money the levels were pretty much the same size, they were paced in the same way.
[There will be more diversity in the levels themselves and there will be these big sandboxes in there, mixed up

I don't trust you anymore IO interactive. You are filthy liars.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again

SentryDown

Sandbox, no checkpoint, Glacier 2, no magic pockets, next-gen, globe-trotting, exotic location, Blood Money & Contracts inspired and next-gen ? Count me in.

Blink Me

this right here

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-04-hitman-absolution-returns-interview

http://www.officialplaystationmagaz...ion-ps3-interview-with-director-tore-blystad/

Yeah I didn't think I imagined it. I will happily be proved wrong though if this game is on par or better than Blood Money. I'd even settle for better than Hitman 2 ie no corridor levels. I've got a bad feeling that they might have just made the corridors more "open" instead. Now you have 2 exits out the building instead of one.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well shit, that sounds perfect. Still have to see it first.

Glacier 2 seemed like a really damn good looking engine, I'm glad they aren't bothering with current gen here.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think they meant current gen.

I know. I was making fun of using "next-gen" as a key phrase. And it will become more and more ridiculous as the time goes. They should stick to EA terminology at list. Or invent one. Call it "Gen 4 ONE" or something.

Moff

OPM How is the level design going? You mentioned bigger parts of the game are on the way.

TB The way that we design the game this time is a little different from the previous games. For example Hitman Blood Money the levels were pretty much the same size, they were paced in the same way.
[There will be more diversity in the levels themselves and there will be these big sandboxes in there, mixed up

you do realize what you're quoting though, right?
they are saying that in blood money all levels were amount the same size, and that absolution will have levels with different sizes.
cant say that was wrong

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Sandbox, no checkpoints and do what you want? FUCK YES. They listened!

Honestly, I'm just happy that Diana is back. Maybe the girl will show up again too?

stn

Big fan of the locales idea. Some of the best missions across the series include the hotel mission, the embassy party, the heaven/hell party, the American suburban house, and so forth. More of that. Absolution felt like one boring trip across some generic south-west area with bits of interesting thrown in.

Also, please no ridiculous stuff this time around - it detracts from the dark tone the game should have. I'm talking about the antagonist from Absolution, who was an absolute joke, and other stuff like the saints.

Finally, there doesn't need to be a focus on story. Just make it so that 47 is being hunted by someone and use that as an excuse to send him around the world searching for targets. I don't want to
rescue some girl with secret powers or whatever as was in Absolution
, that was just awful.

XaosWolf

Well I remember there being talk of a possible patch for the awful detection system in Absolution, but nothing came of it. (As far as I'm aware)

FULLY on board for a new actual sandbox Hitman game!
Though I share the same concerns as others here, lack of "magic pockets" and such.

Just fix the detection system, remove/rework the points system that penalises you for using a disguise and ditch the detective vision and HUD clutter. >=(

Seriously, IO, I want to believe

EDIT: And everything from the post above!

Foffy

Banned
Reads like "seriously, we hated Absolution too we promise! Diana is back! Real Hitman is back! Please give us moneys..."

Well, didn't the game go through a lot of different phases? I recall reading somewhere where they actually considering making it a grindhouse themed Hitman game, or at least take influence from it. Absolution seems like a game made in response to a hiatus; a game that has loose connections with its previous incarnations, but enough changes in an attempt to make it more modern. It seems that the changes they made, based on taking the claims by IO to heart, have not benefitted them. Perhaps it was the lukewarm reception to Absolution that got them to wake up and realize "okay, we didn't have to change all of this". At least, that's what I hope.

All I want from them is the following.

- David Bateson
- Consider getting back Jesper Kyd (I know he's done a lot of other projects since Blood Money, so he might be busy with other things. If not...GET HIM INVOLVED)
- A decent disguise system. One should not have to take cover and fucking hide in order to not be outed, and using Instinct is a pleb response to it.
- Make Instinct a tool for people who are terrible at stealth games, IF it is to return. The Super Guide to Hitman, if you will.
- Based on the removal of magic pockets, which I assume means you cannot hide big weapons, I do hope that they don't allow guns to warp to 47's hands.
- Offer an element like Silent Assassin and Blood Money to where you can plan with weaponry and maybe get information on your mission before entering it. Knowing an area might be armed with heavy defences could incentivise the player in considering to bring a submachine gun or something.
- Make the targets the victims of the player how the player seems fit. Absolution was designed intentionally with the designers planning out all of the possible options. Make it like previous games to where you can do something not expected or "scripted" by the designers to kill the target.
- Linearity in Hitman is fatal. Avoid this at all costs. The worst missions in the franchise are the missions with the smallest room for player imagination and improvisation.
- Try to design the game that if levels or scenes continue, there's at least continuity. It was always jarring to see in Absolution that if you bothered to use an attire, the game assumed in a scene that you just stuck with the suit. The biggest offender could be seen as early as the first mission in Absolution

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Jesper Kyd seems to be working on less games per year than before. Assassin's Creed and Hitman really don't feel the same without his awesome music.

Anyway, I'm proud that they seems to be listening, but I won't fall into this if they don't confirm that instinct is gone and I see at least three big maps.

And thank goodness for no checkpoints.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
- Try to design the game that if levels or scenes continue, there's at least continuity. It was always jarring to see in Absolution that if you bothered to use an attire, the game assumed in a scene that you just stuck with the suit. The biggest offender could be seen as early as the first mission in Absolution

To be fair here the previous games always did this, where the exit cutscene always has him in the suit regardless of current disguise. But they did curb the design of Absolution too strongly based on the story as he was more on the run instead of being able to have a selection of weapons planned out for hits. No magic pockets is the best part as it lets them set up walking around with a suitcase filled with a sniper rifle instead of being able to pull it out of thin air in an impossible scenario. It also bugged me that weapons couldn't be dropped as it meant there was no way to have frisk/metal detection.

Hitman always had weapon limits. Actually, Absolution was the game that removed them. In previous Hitman games you had to put sniper rifles in suitcases and couldn't just put away bigger guns like shotguns and aussault rifles. In Absolution they just said 'fuck it' and allowed players to stuff anything in their pockets.

Frankly, the "Suitcase" mechanic was one of the most badass things about BM. It was always like, "Okay, let me find a nice, secluded place...now let me make this kill...now let me put my gun away...now let me saunter back out of this place with nobody the wiser."

And if you decided to bring the shotgun? You had to go pick it up at a drop off point, then it was like "EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE TONIGHT" time.

I don't really think the change in the disguise system was that bad of an idea. The idea behind it was more realistic than before, as it isn't plausible either to jump around a fellow guard and not having him suspecting anything if you just have the same uniform as him. However, IO needs to adjust the level and speed of suspicion raised by NPCs according to how many there are of the same people wearing the same outfit. If there are hundreds of police officers within a level, one should be quite secure. If there are more like two of them, the other police man should immediately recognise Agent 47 as being an impostor. Also, if the disguise hides the face completely, there should only be trouble if someone speaks directly to Agent 47 demanding a response. This has always been kind of broken in every game of the franchise.
In my opinion, the disguise system should definitely be improved on and not dropped totally in favor of the old one.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I guess they dropped some of the rumored plans, thankfully. Hopefully they're no longer targeting a fall date and completely rushing this as well.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I guess they dropped some of the rumored plans, thankfully. Hopefully they're no longer targeting a fall date and completely rushing this as well.

I hope they don't rush anyting. BF4 comes to mind.

stn

The lack of "magic pockets" is a great idea. Say you have a level where you need to snipe a target. Well, suddenly you'll have to think of how to conceal your weapon and bring it in. Adds another level of depth to the puzzle element. Also, the more realism the better. 47 should only be able to conceal his ballers, fibre wire, and perhaps a knife.

Also, one more thing I thought of. I'd like to see faster and more fluid animations when changing disguises and using stealth attacks. Some of the animations drag on too much when you're trying to act quickly in order to avoid being spotted. Lastly, they should definitely bring back the cover system. It worked fine, its also much better than hugging a wall and using the camera to peek.

I loved Absolution but, I'm not a Hitman fan so to speak. So why is no checkpoints a good thing?

The classic Hitman model was to drop 47 in an environment (ex. a hotel, a weird party in a meat warehouse, or a suburban neighborhood) with one or more targets and the odd extra objective to complete before leaving. A checkpoint system tends towards a linear set of hostile enemies and objectives instead, which unfortunately describes at least 3/4s of Absolution.

The classic Hitman model was to drop 47 in an environment (ex. a hotel, a weird party in a meat warehouse, or a suburban neighborhood) with one or more targets and the odd extra objective to complete before leaving. A checkpoint system tends towards a linear set of hostile enemies and objectives instead, which unfortunately describes at least 3/4s of Absolution.

also the checkpoint system sucked ass due to repositioning/respawning all enemies.

Really curious if they can rejigger to engine to support old school manual save/load.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I'll definitely be waiting for reviews from my fellow forum denizens before jumping on this. More fun was had in the Sniper Challenge than the full game proper as far as I'm concerned.

Absolution was the 1st Hitman I played. I wanted to like it, but didn't finish it because it just wasn't fun. The previously-mentioned disguise/instinct system was the main reason.

I'll wait for more details/impressions/reviews before I decide to try the new one.

Almighty

You say the sweet words IO, but I don't believe you. It will take a lot to convince me they learned from their mistakes and are not just giving lip service.

I have a feeling that this next game will be great. I hope IO have learned their lesson and it seems like they've been listening. I just hope they remove the mark and execute option. Well, if they don't, it doesn't bother me too much because it doesn't waste two buttons like it does in Splinter Cell.

Ithil

I've always wanted a huge open airport level in a Hitman game. Where almost all of it is accessible, from the terminals, to the shops, to the car parks, to the boarding halls, to even one of the planes, and the hangers. Basic logic says that if they had big open levels in Blood Money, in 2006, then in 2015 or whenever they should easily be able to have big open levels twice as big.

Still holding out hope. I haven't played much of Absolution, but I love the prior series and Blood Money is one of my favourite games of all time. Use that as the base, IO.

Top Bottom