• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First details on the next Hitman game (IO, PC/next-gen, open levels, no checkpoints)

KJRS_1993

I can see myself looking forward to this, definitely would consider pre-ordering it.

They tried some new things in Absolution that didn't really pan out as well as they likely would have hoped, but it was still an enjoyable game in my opinion. Glad to see that they've acknowledged where mistakes were made and that they are trying to rectify them in the sequel.

Caffeine

this is the best news i heard all day. i was very depressed when they said they cancelled it and were making a ios game lol. i have always been a huge fan of the hitman games.

this is the best news i heard all day. i was very depressed when they said they cancelled it and were making a ios game lol. i have always been a huge fan of the hitman games.
They never said that they cancelled this, it was just the Eidos Hitman game. There were two in development.and they said nothing about this one until everyone started thinking the entire series was canned.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
We are building this game on the backbone of the Glacier 2 engine, using the best parts and what we have learnt through Hitman: Absolution and drawing inspiration from past titles like Contracts and Blood Money to fulfil the core Hitman fantasy. That means we’re packing in an extreme level of detail on the largest levels we have ever built for a Hitman game. We’ve adopted an open, non-linear level design approach to the game, ensuring the game will play out across huge, checkpoint-free, sandbox levels. Our aim is to create living, breathing and believable levels which will allow gamers to play around with the AI to create those unique moments every fan of the Hitman franchise loves.

That is EXACTLY what I (and I assume many others) wanted. Well played, IO. Well played.

I'm a fan of all the games and also really liked Absolution. It awesome to hear with next gen they are going back to open levels. I'm sure instinct mode will still be in it, which I didn't mind as long as there is the ability to turn it off and get rewarded when doing so. Also as other people have said, they need to tweak the disguise system too.

The Assassin's Creed games should follow similar ideas. Show the player the targets that need to be killed, let the player figure out and plan how they want to get the deed done.

I'm a fan of all the games and also really liked Absolution. It awesome to hear with next gen they are going back to open levels. I'm sure instinct mode will still be in it, which I didn't mind as long as there is the ability to turn it off and get rewarded when doing so. Also as other people have said, they need to tweak the disguise system too.

The Assassin's Creed games should follow similar ideas. Show the player the targets that need to be killed, let the player figure out and plan how they want to get the deed done.
I also think that instinct can stay, but they must not design the game around it and rather keep it for easier difficulties. I mean, they didn't design the old games in a way that you had to use the map either. It was just helpful.

So this is the glory of Gen 8 large levels from gen 6 with the detail from gen 7.
It every game becomes this I might cry.

I hope they pulled resources from the in-development game. I really would like to see this in 2015

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I also think that instinct can stay, but they must not design the game around it and rather keep it for easier difficulties. I mean, they didn't design the old games in a way that you had to use the map either. It was just helpful.

Rather have my map back, I think it would tie in more with the professional assassin fantasy.

Rather have my map back, I think it would tie in more with the professional assassin fantasy.
I'd rather have it back as well, but I could live with instinct as well, but only if it doesn't dictate game designing anymore.

Actually, it would even make sense to have at least some kind of map back since the game is concentrating more on prepared hits again rather than being on the run all alone.

Interfectum

All they have to say now is the map is back and they are trashing Absolution's disguise system and I'll be one happy gamer.

Blink Me

Dear IO

Get back to making a new Freedom Fighters you jerk bags.

As much as I loved Freedom Fighters I imagine if the new team made a sequel it would be your run of the mill 3rd person shooter. And I think there was a disguise system in the original. So to be "realistic" every soldier in the Russian army will know each other from 10 feet away until you pick your nose.

Vaiim

Please let this game live up to its potential.

I got badly burned by Absolution though - bought it at launch, but still can't bring myself to finish it, and that's as someone who's completed some Blood Money missions over 10 times. So I'll be treating this new game with a truckload of scepticism.

Vibranium

Banned
Thank god IO seem to be listening, I hope it lives up to what they're promising.

Derrick is probably fairly wary, but I'm sure he's also probably as intrigued as I am. Drawing on inspiration from Blood Money and non-linear levels in good news. I hope they think of scrapping Instinct and fixing the disguise system too.

After all the lies with Absolution, I refuse to believe anything they say about that next game. I'll even go so far as to say that the reveal and any footage leading to release shouldn't be trusted either after the blatant smoke and mirrors shit they pulled with the Chinatown level...

It was as bad as what Gearbox did with the early Colonial Marines demo.

"We’ve adopted an open, non-linear level design approach to the game, ensuring the game will play out across huge, checkpoint-free, sandbox levels"

Ubisoft Toronto please take note

That all sounds good.
Still want to be able to save anywhere I want tough I know that maybe not "true" hitman but that is the way I like to play the game.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
After all the lies with Absolution, I refuse to believe anything they say about that next game. I'll even go so far as to say that the reveal and any footage leading to release shouldn't be trusted either after the blatant smoke and mirrors shit they pulled with the Chinatown level...

It was as bad as what Gearbox did with the early Colonial Marines demo.

To be fair, at least with the Hitman series, they've only messed up once. Heaven knows I was VERY disappointed (which is probably well documented on this here board) but I think comparing it the A:CM debacle is a bit much; at least the game they released worked and was polished, it just wasn't the Hitman game we were expecting or wanted.

Vibranium

Banned
To be fair, at least with the Hitman series, they've only messed up once. Heaven knows I was VERY disappointed (which is probably well documented on this here board) but I think comparing it the A:CM debacle is a bit much; at least the game they released worked and was polished, it just wasn't the Hitman game we were expecting or wanted.

Yeah, I think IO deserve one more chance they can deliver the true sequel to Blood Money. They did bring back David Bateson as 47, he may not be a superstar VO but he is the Hitman, so that proves they do listen. It's not at Colonial Marines level, I agree.

And adding to my previous comments, I hope the points meter isn't in single-player, it doesn't add anything. Keep it in the next Contracts mode instead, that's where it belongs.

NoPiece

I understand people reserving judgement, but they said every possible right thing. I can't help but be excited for it.

Oh I agree that it was technically sound. My main issue is that they employed the same smoke and mirror tactics as Gearbox when demoing the game. They almost always showed the bigger levels (of which there were only a small handful) and went out of their way to make sure people thought that's what the majority of the game was like.

That still doesn't sit right with me and it's the reason why I'll never believe IO say. Don't get me wrong, they are saying mostly the right things and normally I'd be very excited, but they burnt that bridge with Absolution and there's really no way to repair it until I see/hear about their next game in its entirety...

derFeef

Good for them, sounds they took the feedback to heart.
I generally like IO but Absolution had turned out not that great, even though I believed it would.

Moff

Oh I agree that it was technically sound. My main issue is that they employed the same smoke and mirror tactics as Gearbox when demoing the game. They almost always showed the bigger levels (of which there were only a small handful) and went out of their way to make sure people thought that's what the majority of the game was like.

they did say though that absolution wont have only blood money but also smaller levels, the quotes are in this thread. they also showed the linear police escape mission long before release. its really not like they were hiding it.

they also showed the chinatown level to prove that this game will have ALSO the known sandbox levels. they always said it will be a mix of the two. I dont think they ever lied honestly, although I agree with you that the scale and the amount of the very few big sandbox levels was only known after release, so I get where you're coming from.
they haven lost their skills either. they just more or less openly chose another patch with absolution, and they had their reasons, blood money a huge financial bomb among others.

absolution was also much more successfull, so while I beleve them when they say there will be mostly blood money style levels, I still expect them to keep some kind of narrative between the levels. maybe even with still some linear levels, but in a much better ratio than absolution.

they did say though that absolution wont have only blood money but also smaller levels, the quotes are in this thread. they also showed the linear police escape missionabout a month before release .

Actually no they showed the police mission over a year ahead of release at E3 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWf3dPKYf1E

Not that I'm disagreeing with your point, we had ample knowledge that linear levels were in the game far in advance.

NoPiece

Awesome, awesome news. All they need is to tweak the disguise system to be a blend with Blood Money and then we're good. It would be nice to have Kyd back as well!

The music has been integral in setting the mood of the Hitman games, so for sure bring back Jesper Kyd.

KAP151

Hey I/O,

Make sure you fucking test your game properly this time. Deleting save files on a completely random basis is a sure fire way to piss off loyal customers.

Cheers.

Blink Me

Hey I/O,

Make sure you fucking test your game properly this time. Deleting save files on a completely random basis is a sure fire way to piss off loyal customers.

Cheers.

Yeah that added to my frustration with the game. After forcing myself up to the orphanage level my save file got wiped and that was when I decided to sell the horrible game.

they did say though that absolution wont have only blood money but also smaller levels, the quotes are in this thread. they also showed the linear police escape mission long before release. its really not like they were hiding it.

they also showed the chinatown level to prove that this game will have ALSO the known sandbox levels. they always said it will be a mix of the two. I dont think they ever lied honestly, although I agree with you that the scale and the amount of the very few big sandbox levels was only known after release, so I get where you're coming from.
they haven lost their skills either. they just more or less openly chose another patch with absolution, and they had their reasons, blood money a huge financial bomb among others.

absolution was also much more successfull, so while I beleve them when they say there will be mostly blood money style levels, I still expect them to keep some kind of narrative between the levels. maybe even with still some linear levels, but in a much better ratio than absolution.

You make some good points, but I have to disagree that they didn't lie. They lied about how instinct would work, they lied about how open ended the sandbox missions (as few as they were) would be, they lied about the removal of the map not having a detrimental effect on gameplay and most importantly, they lied about how the disguise system would (or in this case, wouldn't) work. Almost everything about the game was a half truth or phrased in overly PR guff to try and confuse people...

I can't forgive them for that. The fact that they clearly and wilfully went out of their way and lied to Hitman series veterans will never sit right with me.

Moff

You make some good points, but I have to disagree that they didn't lie. They lied about how instinct would work, they lied about how open ended the sandbox missions (as few as they were) would be, they lied about the removal of the map not having a detrimental effect on gameplay and most importantly, they lied about how the disguise system would (or in this case, wouldn't) work. Almost everything about the game was a half truth or phrased in overly PR guff to try and confuse people...

I can't forgive them for that. The fact that they clearly and wilfully went out of their way and lied to Hitman series veterans will never sit right with me.

I dont know all the quote you're referring to, but some of these things are at least debatable. for instance I agree with them that the loss of the map didnt change the gameplay much, as I have said earlier in the thread.
sure, many of the statements are PR stuff, but I still wouldnt cal that lying. when they say they will have more contracts/blood money oriented levels and the biggest ones we have seen in the franchise, yet. I honestly believe them. I dont think they ever made clear statements like this, tha turned out to be lies.

Jintor

I dont know all the quote you're referring to, but some of these things are at least debatable. for instance I agree with them that the loss of the map didnt change the gameplay much, as I have said earlier in the thread.
sure, many of the statements are PR stuff, but I still wouldnt cal that lying. when they say they will have more contracts/blood money oriented levels and the biggest ones we have seen in the franchise, yet. I honestly believe them. I dont think they ever made clear statements like this, tha turned out to be lies.

imho when thinking about whether we'll get a game we actually like, it doesn't matter if it was direct lies, half-truths or just PR speak. The end result is I don't trust them when it comes to words; I'll only trust what gaffers and the knowledgeable press say about the finished product. (If I don't get caught up in the hype cycle, but after Absolution, I probably won't).

Moff

well thats ok, everyone needs to decide that for himself, I just dont feel comfortable calling them liars

Top Bottom