• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale had Over 1 Million Players on its First Day

hydruxo

That's....insane. I never would've thought Fortnite would be get this big. I played it for the first week or so and it was fun but the skill trees and crafting were a little much for me. Might have to get back in and try Battle Royale out.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I do feel sorry for PvE and I know it's a massive leap of expectation before evidence is shown but it's clear BR is working far better for them then the PvE content. Doesn't help how scummy that approach was but BR is the hot new thing and a lot more fun. Just sucks for those who spent heaps on packs.

Obviously the PvE side isn't dead, that won't happen for awhile but the fact they even renamed the game to BR shows their focus. I doubt they still have two teams working separately, they only mentioned that concept when BR was in development and the UT team helped them out.

Alienous

How would you parachute in? Hot air balloon? Zepplin?

latest

Mikey Jr.

I do feel sorry for PvE and I know it's a massive leap of expectation before evidence is shown but it's clear BR is working far better for them then the PvE content. Doesn't help how scummy that approach was but BR is the hot new thing and a lot more fun. Just sucks for those who spent heaps on packs.

Obviously the PvE side isn't dead, that won't happen for awhile but the fact they even renamed the game to BR shows their focus. I doubt they still have two teams working separately, they only mentioned that concept when BR was in development and the UT team helped them out.

Br is just more easily understandable. I could explain br to someone in a sentence.
I still have no idea what the other mode is.

I think when the other mode goes free, and they put some cross compatibility with each other, it could give pve the exposure it needs.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Br is just more easily understandable. I could explain br to someone in a sentence.

I think when the other mode goes free, and they put some cross compatibility with each other, it could give pve the exposure it needs.
Oh that's definitely the case as well, BR is just that much easier of a concept, plus isn't filled with scummy microtransactions and a very defined playstyle from the start. The PvE mode is a great concept, just executed poorly compared to BR.

Perineum

This is proof that the console market is starved for this genre.

First big publisher/developer to put something out on PS4 is going to print money. This game is just "ok" for the genre so far, but is clearly getting consumed just because nothing else is available to PS4 owners.

I would love to see someone like Blizzard go after this, or even Kojima's new studio.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Bluehole has been resting on their laurels, and not doing enough QoL updates, like no one else was going to step in and throw money at the genre.

Oops.

Ploid 3.0

How would you parachute in? Hot air balloon? Zepplin?

Go to the Hunger Games Angle. 5 circles of 20 people. Loot in a huge pile in the center. Horses scattered around the map. No eye of the storm, hunger playing a factor to keep moving. Announced drops (this will be West World like with tech overseers) to bring people together for food, supplies, and weapons/armor/clothing (cold set in).

Like the Guild Wars 2 mode rather than air drop.

https://youtu.be/j5CCHDz9uJY?t=162

Thats what happens when you release a f2p game of the hottest subgenre right now as well as make it a more functioning product. The speed at which Epic was able to create their version, and how well it runs and plays is far beyond what Bluehole can achieve. Expect other AAA devs to follow suit in the next year or 2 with products far more polished than Battlegrounds.

The biggest kicker is this coming out on Xbox and PS4 before Battlegrounds has even hit xbox. Bluehole really needs to step up the speed at which they update their game if they want their pie to be eaten as little as possible.

Well, it is a free to play game that's available on three platforms. Not to mention, it's similar to a hugely successful game. I'd actually have been surprised if it didn't hit that number of players.

So, Fortnite Battle Royale will enjoy been available on a platform of more than 60 millions users while their biggest competitor will be available next year?. If Epic makes things right with their game, it's going to be fucking HUGE!.

Honome

So could you please explain what is BR in a sentence? I read about it in a lot of thread titles here on gaf and still have no idea of what that means exactly.

(sorry, i am not much of a multiplayer kind of player so that may explain my ignorance in the subject)

Strakt

So could you please explain what is BR in a sentence? I read about it in a lot of thread titles here on gaf and still have no idea of what that means exactly.

(sorry, i am not much of a multiplayer kind of player so that may explain my ignorance in the subject)

Battle Royale is a mode where you drop from a plane with 99 other people in a big map which shrinks over time (you have to be in the circle on the map); you loot gear found randomly in buildings, kill people, and the last one left is the winner.

WoolyNinja

I hope it continues to have high player counts as I want improvements. The game as it is now is already fantastic so I can't wait!

Strakt

I can see myself playing this and PUBG while I wait for destiny 2 PC as there are no other multiplayer games that really interest me atm

Honome

Battle Royale is a mode where you drop from a plane with 99 other people in a big map which shrinks over time (you have to be in the circle on the map); you loot gear found randomly in buildings, kill people, and the last one left is the winner.

Thanks for the enlightenment. I think i will download to try it, although i'll probably be one of the first 10 killed lol.

Parsnip

Aside from being the same concept, the gunplay differences really set them apart.
I have a feeling that there isn't actually that much overlap between the audiences they attract because of that.

Played my first couple matches. Fun, but I don't like hitscan in an open-world setting like this.

Can anyone tell me how to switch 3rd person shoulders, or is that not a thing here?

specdot

Guys c'mon. We all know the reason Fortnite is gaining more popularity than PUBG is because Fortnite has some T H I C C assets.

CHC

I wonder if people this got such an influx of players because many are just sick of the general lack of polish on PUBG. It was a big turn off for me and I could see the countless "little things" really adding up.

It's definitely a ripe time for a more technically capable studio to capture the excitement of this genre right now.

(Obviously it helps that this is a free trial too, but it's still an abnormally large number of people playing)

tuna_love

Banned
Considering they are a 30$ game that pulls more than 3 million people daily, i don't think they are much concerned about a free game that manages to pull one million distributed across three platforms. Other than that PR guy.

You took that from a PR dude that wasn't a actual developer? Ok then.
i dont think a game can be successful unless its on ps4

Ploid 3.0

What is this even supposed to mean?

Cool animations that look realistic thanks to Euphoria > actual snappy control. I hate Euphoria, but it looks cool, and people like that. It made GTA4 unfun for me. Slow, big circle turns. When you run then change directions momentum makes it so you take a second to start going the other way because the character has to do it's direction change shift. GTA5 was a bit better with controls. Who knows how RDR will be.

EhoaVash

Just played a match with FF7 bombing  mission music in the background while I was trying to escape from a group managed to take 1 member down

this game just gave me a orgasm

I think I now finally understand

Mikey Jr.

1v1 is the scariest shit.

The SCARIEST shit. Especially when you are outside the safe zone, and you have no idea where the other fucker is hiding.

Depending on their commitment to PvE and as a way to stand out from the BR only games it might actually give them more funds to develop it more than if the game would have just died.

Top Bottom