• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 will require a day 1 free DLC download

Metfanant

I don't think we were glossing over it. We just understand that this close to launch they aren't going to redo their entire AI system. Their whole plan was to have AI change on a daily basis and become more real by pulling the community data to change things in real time. They can't rely on that for all people now.

I can see how this is a problem to a lot of people, but for a launch day game I am ok with this. Possibly launch window, after spring of 2014 though it'll be inexcusable unless you're an online only game like Destiny, etc. In my opinion.

im not concerned with Day 1 patches...has never really bothered me...the more updates/content added to the games the better as far as im concerned...

my concern however is the ability for a game to pass certification and be launched when it seemingly will literally NOT FUNCTION without this content...

Oh I don't really care what the reaction is, I'm just reporting what Greenawalt told me. My post here was to try and get people to look at it beyond the usual GAF "MS suxxxx!" overreaction.

If Sony does the same thing with its games I'm not going to care either, because my PS4 will be connected all the time -- as will most of GAF, I imagine. Yet people moan and complain anyway.
The same tired arguments, sigh..

The truth can be pretty harsh :/

Your opinion isn't one to be trusted.
This coming from someone calling him/herself "PS4".
tumblr_mkdzg2g0wC1rjwo0xo1_250.gif

Ryan_IGN

Your opinion isn't one to be trusted.

Says the guy with "PS4" as his username and avatar pic.

Me explaining on Twitter WHY I feel like Microsoft is doing something is not the same as defending it. I don't suppose you understand that?

pixlexic

Banned
Oh I don't really care what the reaction is, I'm just reporting what Greenawalt told me. My post here was to try and get people to look at it beyond the usual GAF "MS suxxxx!" overreaction.

If Sony does the same thing with its games I'm not going to care either, because my PS4 will be connected all the time -- as will most of GAF, I imagine. Yet people moan and complain anyway.

Yeah .. the trick is to ignore them and don't let it get to you. These guys change their minds like turning on light switches. Add that to a very long period of no fanboy warring and its a powder keg of hyperbole and prediction.

casmith07

Am I the only one that thinks this will be how Microsoft handles their reverse-course on DRM from now on?

Yeah, there's no DRM. But there will be "free" DLC that you'll have to download within a certain window at launch. After that, key game content becomes paid, thereby making it a "fee" for used game buyers?

If I'm just playing boogeyman, feel free to call me out...but this sets a shitty precedent.

evolution

am I understanding this right? if you don't login and download whatever they want you to download you won't be able to actually play any of the game?

this is not like XBL automatically downloading a patch when you load a game, and you canceling the patch to proceed to the game right away?

Yes its required

Wereroku

Some people seem to be ignoring what this is saying. This would be like Bethesda releasing Elder Scrolls 5 and saying btw most of the items are missing their texture files so you will need to download that before you start the game. This is a big deal and I bet what Microsoft told developers they could get away with for the original drm plan. Since each disc is just an install file they could just patch it before install like a Guild wars or WOW does.

Brannon

Doesn't matter. People need to realize that Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo don't check game for quality or amount of content, they check it for a list of VERY specific issues. If the game doesn't have any of those VERY SPECIFIC bugs into it then it goes to retail. They don't give a shit if the game is 20min long and consist of a guy shitting on you for the whole 20 minutes.

Case in point, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct passed their criteria. The bar isn't very high.

Cess007

Have fun with that.

The future is constantly updated content - esp for online central games like Battlefield or Forza. The days of one and done are over. I applaud devs sticking with projects and adding more life into games. Last gen BF3 is the perfect example of this.

Well... i'm pretty sure that in offline mode, Forza could be even a more fulfilling experience than BF3. I mean, the racing games still have time trials modes, and those extensive career modes, right?

Mrbob

Yeah I don't agree with the outright anger of people currently on the internet to view GAF, but I there is a possible future potential pitfall.

I live in a smaller city in the midwest. Inside the city i get blazing fast internet( 60Mbps ), but go outside the city limits and there are areas with no internet availability at all. Selling a 60 dollar game to someone who may not be able to play it is a slightly dangerous PR move. I can foresee the November backlash already, even if it only affects a low number of people. All it takes is one story to blow up.

Garjon

Me explaining on Twitter WHY I feel like Microsoft is doing something is not the same as defending it. I don't suppose you understand that?

Could you please clarify the original quote from this:

[But] that is required content to play the game. We basically have designed the game to work with all that content no matter how late is coming in
It was clearly taken from the middle of another quote, what was it? You wouldn't put a 'but' into it if that was the original quote.

Well I hope those servers are prepared because it sounds like a lot of people are going to have to do a lot of downloading before they can even get started on their new console.

iMax

I don't get why people are bummed out about this. You're all on here, therefore all have internet connections. Your Xbox One has to go online when you get it out the box anyway, so what's the problem? You'll get a better game out of it. Isn't that worth it?

Edit: Not worth my time.

So much for that 176GB/s.

FINALBOSS

Banned

Maybe we should drag you into the future kicking and screaming.

If you have to come here to explain yourself better it means your article was poorly written.

I'm sure Forza 5 will still be the premiere racing game for quite a while, but this just reeks of a rushed product in order to have something good for launch.

I suppose I should really blame Microsoft. Its probably entirely their doing.

"Well we're seriously short on content at the moment, so why?"

"For launch. Competition with the PS4 is going to be stiff and we need every weapon/name we can get to start strong."
lol, what a load of shit. The PS4's stacked launch of...DriveClub? The game that can't even hit 30FPS without pop-in and Sony has such little faith in that their offering it up for free? Or Knack? Both systems have merely a decent launch lineup, nothing more.

Settle down with the overzealous BS. All launch games are somewhat rushed. ALL. In this case though, you get the developers working on it till the last possible moment.

And anyone buying the Xbox One will have to connect online to get the system Day 1 patch anyway, so you're not gonna see any real issue with those same people updating their Forza 5 games.

Is it inconvenient? Sure. But it's no more inconvenient than 20 minute forced installs, or a plethora of game updates that can take over an hour...something which is a big issue this very moment, and not on an Xbox console.

jtb

Banned
well, at least they promise to finish the game.... sometime.

It's obvious that some deadlines are not going to be pushed back and console launch is one of those, I'm sure. as an avid member of the KOTOR 2 cult, believe me—it could be worse lol.

ummm...so if I read that correctly and someone buys this game but does not have an internet connection, they won't be able to play the offline part? basically shipping an incomplete game

I don't see the problem.

The console isn't out until November or December or some shit. That's a good 4 months away. Requiring a day 1 patch for your very first game that everyone will need to play is tacky. It shows they're not ready. They're not ready for being offline. The game itself isn't ready.

This isn't a matter of crash fixes and extra bonus content. The game literally doesn't work without downloading when you first run it. The disc is useless and once again means that games won't work offline.

How many more games will this happen on? Will I be forced to download and install 4-10GB of data with every game I buy on disc? This sets a terrible precedent that encourages developers to release unfinished games.

FINALBOSS

Banned
ummm...so if I read that correctly and someone buys this game but does not have an internet connection, they won't be able to play the offline part?

Considering Xbone needs to be connected online at least once to even function--it means people without internet won't even be buying the system in the first place.

Just thinking about it shows how much a fuckin mess this is.

lol, what a load of shit. The PS4's stacked launch of...DriveClub? The game that can't even hit 30FPS without pop and Sony has such little faith in that their offering it up for free? Or Knack? Both systems have a relatively decent launch lineups, nothing more.

Settle down with the overzealous BS. All launch games are somewhat rushed. ALL. In this case though, you get the developers working on it till the last possible moment.

And anyone buying the Xbox One will have to connect online to get the system Day 1 patch anyway, so you're not gonna see any real issue with those same people updating their Forza 5 games.

Is it inconvenient? Sure. But it's no more inconvenient than 20 minute forced installs, or a plethora of game updates that can take over an hour...something which is a big issue this very moment, and not on an Xbox console.

Good thing he said the launch was stacked, right?

Oh, wait, it's Monumental. Nothing to see here.

Wereroku

lol, what a load of shit. The PS4's stacked launch of...DriveClub? The game that can't even hit 30FPS without pop and Sony has such little faith in that their offering it up for free?

Or Knack?

And anyone buyign the Xbox One will have to connect online to get the system Day 1 patch anyway, so you're not gonna see any real issue with those same people updating their Forza 5 games.

All of which can be skipped if you just want to play the game offline. You have to admit that this is a new and different situation.

ummm...so if I read that correctly and someone buys this game but does not have an internet connection, they won't be able to play the offline part? basically shipping an incomplete game

If you don't have an internet connection, you're not going to buy a xbox one. It needs a day 1 patch.

You do know you can skip game updates on ps3 and still play offline, right? Forza 5 day1 "dlc" is required to play the game. It's not the same thing. But hey, i wasn't expecting anything different from your posts.

teiresias

Backdoor DRM in the guise of Day 1 DLC. Hardly a 180 on their policies, but I can't say it's surprising from MS and its partners anymore.

Ryan_IGN

Maybe we should drag you into the future kicking and screaming.

If you have to come here to explain yourself better it means your article was poorly written.

I'm not explaining myself. I made a personal comment on a news story I wrote. Perhaps you should actually click through and read the story before passing judgment, rather than reading the bits quoted in the OP.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So many people not bothering to read the OP,

You have to connect the internet and download content in order to PLAY THE GAME.

This has never been done before on consoles for an offline title to my knowledge.

FINALBOSS

Banned
I'm not explaining myself. I made a personal comment on a news story I wrote. Perhaps you should actually click through and read the story before passing judgment, rather than reading the bits quoted in the OP.

Sure, copy and paste it here so I don't have to go to IGN.

After that, Greenawalt said, Forza 5 is like your refrigerator. “You have to fill it up with food the first time,” he explained. “And from then on, you connect whenever you want when you want to update your food. The Drivatars are as fresh as they are. It’s not like they’re going to degrade, but when you’re looking for new stuff – fresh stuff…it’s going to keep evolving. That’s the nature of this Drivatar system.”

We've gotta tell everyone! SOYLENT GREEN IS DRIVEATARS!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm sure Forza 5 will still be the premiere racing game for quite a while, but this just reeks of a rushed product in order to have something good for launch.

this is true for virtually every launch title ever.

ShapeGSX

The way people talk about game patches, you'd think that people had to carry the bits one by one by hand from their cable modem to their game console and assemble them like a puzzle.

I really really hope this is just them failing to get the game done by launch and not Microsoft's "Plan B" to fuck people over without internet.

Top Bottom