• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank O’Connor: "There is plenty of chance that Halo 5 could appear on the PC."

Saty

Go on, press the button. Release all the stuff on PC. Whoever wants to keep playing the games on the console, go ahead. No reason not to get millions of more sales with the PC version. People should stop pretending that any more than 5% of Xbox owners or potential owners are going to suddenly change their gaming preference because of availability of games. 'Worst' case, get the PC versions out 6 months after the console release.

Leb

I mean, I feel like Phil Spencer has been very clear on this point:

Phil Spencer said:
There isn’t a tremendous request today for [such titles] on PC. Obviously through the streaming we showed in January you’ll be able to play on any of the PCs you have in your home. I don’t want to build things because you can build them, I want to build things that our customers are asking for. But ultimately, it is not through interviews and executive decisions that these great questions of the day are decided - that was the great mistake of the Xbox One launch - but by iron and blood.

LewieP

I find great amusement in the fact that a big part of Microsoft's pitch for Windows 10 is that it is relatively trivial to port Xbox games to Windows 10, but they still for some reason haven't ported most of their games to Windows 10. If they said "All Xbox 360/One games published by MS are now on the Win10 app store, crossbuy with Xbox Live" that would be a huge win for their PC gaming business. I know why they won't do this, my point is their statements about being dedicated to PC gaming are hollow.

They claim to be really dedicated to PC gaming, but their involvement in PC gaming is always a means to an end. It's abundantly apparent that the only interest MS have in PC gaming is to use it as a trojan horse for other MS products and services, be it Windows Vista, using GFWL to advertise Xbox consoles to PC gamers, or now using a handful of b-tier ports to get users engaged with the Win10 app store.

Obviously that's fine, it's their choice, but it's why I can't take anything they say about PC gaming seriously.

This kind of stuff betrays the conflict inherent in MS's company wide strategy at the moment to be honest. They want to be a services company, and those services need a degree of industry ubiquity in order to be of value. But they also want to be a platform company, with features, products and services exclusive to their platforms/devices. They are trying to pull in two different opposing directions at once.

Did they ever justify not shipping an Xbox One streaming app for iOS/Android? They want to use Minecraft to shift Xboxes and Windows 10, but a great deal of Minecraft's value is in it's ubiquity. Any MS devices need to have a good Skype experience. But Skype is useless if you can only use it on MS devices. A big part of the pitch for their Surface devices has been that they are the best/only tablet for using MS Office, except then only recently they announced a version of MS Office for iPad.

It seems to me that for the immediate future (and the last decade or so) any commitment they have to PC gaming will be extremely limited, as to avoid undermining their Xbox console business. I'd love to be proven wrong, and see the kind of broad support for PC gaming that a company like MS could provide if they had an uncompromising dedication towards it, but I can't see that happening.

Lingitiz

If any Halo title were to make it over they would wait until 1 or 2 more iterations later when the game is irrelevant in terms of moving consoles and has already been succeeded by another game in the franchise.

Until then, it's not going anywhere. As for TMCC I think that package as a whole will never leave Xbox One just because of the issues in bolting it together into a semi decent state. I mean maybe I can see the games releasing separately one day, but that actual package itself seems like a bad idea to try and port over.

KingJ2002

It would be great to see it on PC... but like others have said... it makes more sense to release the master chief collection first since Halo 3, Halo: Reach & 4 were skipped.

The old halo games did pop up in steam ages ago before the MCC came out. Wouldst be surprised if they have that another go after they fix the XB1 for good.

I'd be curious to see what form it would take. Not sure a direct MCC port would be worth it since the cross game matchmaking seems like its a fool's errand.

Selling 1-4 on the Windows store for $20 each and then have a box at retail with them all for $60 would be a cool way to go.

Omikaru

As a not-Xbox One owning PC gamer who used to have Xbox and is still interested in Halo (just not enough to get an Xbox One), I think bringing The Master Chief Collection over would be a great start, and I'd definitely buy it. I haven't played Halo 4, for starters, but I really enjoyed 1-3 and I'd quite like to play them again. Now that Halo 5 is on Xbox One I question the value of MCC's exclusivity, especially considering they are just remasters in the end.

But I am glad that people at Xbox are publicly mooting the possibility of the mainline series returning to PC, even if they're still insistent that nothing is being planned or in the works. I don't see any value in keeping a wall up between Xbox and Windows, especially since MS is very big on the "everything everywhere" approach in regards to their products and services.

Kezen

Banned
I don't believe Microsoft will port any of their "flagship" title on Windows 10. Halo 5 is supposed to sell Xbones so no chance of a PC version.

Indies/F2P could cross the line but AAA games will likely remain exclusive.

TechOne

This Frank O'Connor dude sounds just like every other shady M$ suit.

Don't trust him.

He looks trustworthy to me...

300px-FUD_-_Beamish_portrait.png

foxbeldin

I just wished they'd be upfront about it, like

"It is coming to PC at a later date"

or
"We have no plans for a PC release"

That would clear the air.

Shy

I just wished they'd be upfront about it, like

"It is coming to PC at a later date"

or
"We have no plans for a PC release"

That would clear the air.
Yep,especially as i'm sat here right now debating whether to get an X1 for it or not, i'd rather not, because apart from scalebound there's nothing i want on it.

Guerrilla

Yep,especially as i'm sat here right now debating whether to get an X1 for it or not, i'd rather not, because apart from scalebound there's nothing i want on it.

even if halo 5 would come (and it's unlikely imo) it would probably take a few years. So if you are just waiting because you think it might come to pc, you are making the wrong call...

AcAnchoa

This is the nth time we read things like this. There were a fair amount of rumours of MCC (and to a lesser extent Halo 3) coming to PC and we are still waiting, and as much as I would like to be wrong, we will be forever. This "Halo X may hit the PC" is just a very old running joke no one laughs at anymore, they should put an end to it once and for all with an outright “NO”.

Yudoken

There is nothing worse than quotes from Microsoft employees about pc versions of their game without a proper confirm of the port.
Those games already run on Intel cpus with nvidia gpus on Windows.
They know even people know this and the only thing keeping the pc version from being released is that the Bone gets more irrelevant for (pc) gamers (which most of them only care about the games but are not interested in the Xbone).
Starting a new thread about such a comment is not worth it in my opinion.
They need to confirm and announce it properly or otherwise there is no information about releasing the game on pc.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There is nothing worse than quotes from Microsoft employees about pc versions of their game.
Those games already run on Intel cpus with nvidia gpus on Windows.
They know even people know this and the only thing keeping the pc version from being released is that the Bone gets more irrelevant for (pc) gamers (which most of them only care about the games but are not interested in the Xbone).
Starting a new thread about such a comment is not worth it in my opinion.
They need to confirm and announce it properly or otherwise there is no information about releasing the game on pc.

It is the same redundancy every-time these threads pop up, much in the same way Sony or Nintendo won't release games on the PC. Makes the box they are selling irrelevant for a lot of people.

Yudoken

It is the same redundancy every-time these threads pop up, much in the same way Sony or Nintendo won't release games on the PC. Makes the box they are selling irrelevant for a lot of people.

While it's true for Nintendo and Sony (those run on pc's too) there is of course a way different situation than windows vs bone.
Especially when they want people to switch asap to W10 with all those X12 hype and games.
For me personally Killer Instinct will be the reason I upgrade to 10 when the game is out and works online.
Otherwise I don't have a single reason to do so.

Kssio_Aug

What I don't understand is why the heck he has made this statement in such hour. He could have waited.

Anyway, I still doubt it!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
What I don't understand is why the heck he has made this statement in such hour. He could have waited.

Anyway, I still doubt it!

To get Halo on minds of gamers that don't own an Xbox One. Then as they think of how much they miss it, they say screw it, and buy a Bone along with Halo 5. Think about it, it's releasing in less then a week. It's a pretty sneaky way to get some more sales.

Top Bottom