• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank O’Connor: "There is plenty of chance that Halo 5 could appear on the PC."

Kezen

Banned
Mcc is 100% coming...

What makes you say this ? Nothing suggests that so far.

From the limited amount of games Microsoft have said were coming to W10 it's clear that the "big", AAA (or whatever you want to call them) games are to remain exclusive to the hardware.

Only F2P/indies with the exception of a remaster have been announced on Windows 10. I think that's telling of where do Microsoft draw the line. MCC is technically a remaster but I find it unlikely to be announced for W10 because it could lead to further speculation that whatever big Halo game might be coming too, I believe Microsoft want to avoid that.

Just my reading of the current situation of course.

I just wished they'd be upfront about it, like

"It is coming to PC at a later date"

or
"We have no plans for a PC release"

That would clear the air.

But that would be decidedly un-MS regarding the PC. Open air non-promises has been their MO since... well... forever.
What makes you say this ? Nothing suggests that so far.

Exactly. We have not seen any hints about that. None whatsoever.

Mr Swine

Banned
I don't get it why they don't release MCC and Halo 5 on PC? It's not like the 1-5 million PC owners interested in Halo are going to buy a Xbone to play the game.

Don't know what else there is to lose

jelly

I think you probably could get a decent amount of PC users to pay a subscription if you offered good service, games and perks. Last time, it was a worthless paywall and nothing more but you can offer dedicated servers, cloud support if that goes anywhere like Crackdown and cross platform perks, offers on their software and services. Believe me, I would rather not pay at all but a good service with good games, would people absolutely say no? Before Microsoft wanted money for mostly nothing, if they change to money for something good, surely that isn't the worst ? Sure I would be pissed if they required a sub for a P2P game but a game with dedicated servers or something not usually attainable. Yeah, I know Steam but just thinking out loud. Microsoft see Xbox Live as a service and it surely will grow beyond the console.

LewieP

I don't get it why they don't release MCC and Halo 5 on PC? It's not like the 1-5 million PC owners interested in Halo are going to buy a Xbone to play the game.

Don't know what else there is to lose

A portion of the people that might buy the next Xbox for the Halo game on that might no longer do so.

Trup1aya

I have no interest in playing games on PC, but I hope it happens... the more people that get to play the merrier...

Hopefully that means more Req packs sold, and more free maps for everyone!!!! And more reasons for more people to use the Windows store.

A portion of the people that might buy the next Xbox for the Halo game on that might no longer do so.

So what? Either way, they'd be buying software from MS... Which is their main source of income.. Typically, Console gamers are gonna play on console, and PC gamers are gonna play on PC, regardless.

I have no interest in playing games on PC, but I hope it happens... the more the merrier...

Hopefully that means more Req packs sold, and more free maps for everyone!!!! And more reasons for more people to use the Windows store.

So what? Either way, they'd be buying software from MS... Which is their main source of income.. Typically, Console gamers are gonna play on console, and PC gamers are gonna play on PC, regardless.
I believe the main source of income is from xbox live, of course speaking strictly about xbox.

Lazaro

I think you probably could get a decent amount of PC users to pay a subscription if you offered good service, games and perks. Last time, it was a worthless paywall and nothing more but you can offer dedicated servers, cloud support if that goes anywhere like Crackdown and cross platform perks, offers on their software and services. Believe me, I would rather not pay at all but a good service with good games, would people absolutely say no? Before Microsoft wanted money for mostly nothing, if they change to money for something good, surely that isn't the worst ? Sure I would be pissed if they required a sub for a P2P game but a game with dedicated servers or something not usually attainable. Yeah, I know Steam but just thinking out loud. Microsoft see Xbox Live as a service and it surely will grow beyond the console.

If the XBL subscription included a Office 365 subscription and skype calls/texts then maybe I would consider buying LIVE for PC. But otherwise, NO. Microosft can fuck off if they try to do another GFWL paid subscription PC multiplayer service..

deadman69

Lol nothings gunna happen. In a few months some high level guy from xbox will say something similar and nothing will come of it again. And so the cycle continues.

Bessy67

I don't see them putting Halo on PC unless they've truly given up on the Xbox One. As much as people like to say console and PC are different markets and porting to PC won't hurt console sales I just don't see how that can be true, especially when you're talking about the one series that defines Xbox. I think it would be very damaging to the Xbox brand to have it lose it's one iconic exclusive series to another platform, even if it's technically still a Microsoft platform. So I wouldn't say it's impossible, but I don't see them doing it if they want to continue the Xbox brand.

jelly

Ports of ports?

Xbox > PC > Xbox One > PC

Sounds legit.

Get Bluepoint to redo the whole thing and included Reach, Halo Wars then re-release on Xbox One plus a mega patch for current MCC owners and as a new release on Windows 10 PC.

Rename it the Halo Collection : Mark V Edition. Developed by Bluepoint Games.

Halo 5 Guardians for Windows 10 PC, release 2016/2017.

LewieP

There is definitely a degree of overlap. In economic terms PC gaming and Xbox consoles are imperfect substitute goods. Neither is a perfect substitute for the other, but customers could be convinced to go for one over another by a variety of factors. Availability of games is one such factor.

If someone invests further in PC gaming, they will be mostly buying games from Not-Microsoft, MS will not make a cut of sales apart from on MS published games and on games bought from the Windows App Store.

If someone buys an Xbox console, Microsoft will make a cut from every single game they buy for it.

Microsoft prefer the latter situation.

Angel_DvA

That would be stupid for Microsoft to do it, if it's the case, I'm selling my Xbox One, it would be useless, the Xbox One definitely need real exclusive to stay competitive against the competition, with the NX coming and the PS4 leading this gen, it would be a death wish.

BokehKing

Banned
For a game series with no ADS, it always screamed needs mouse and keyboard support to me, should have never been on consoles, should have been a PC game that console fans had to pine for and not the other way around

But that's just my personal opinion, I need ADS in my games

BokehKing

Banned
That would be stupid for Microsoft to do it, if it's the case, I'm selling my Xbox One, it would be useless, the Xbox One definitely need real exclusive to stay competitive against the competition, with the NX coming and the PS4 leading this gen, it would be a death wish.
What? Lol no

It would generate them the money they lost on Xbox one this gen (not just from game sales but the micro transactions as well from the PC community) people don't own xbox's just for "halo" it's not 2001 anymore, some people own xbox's because their friends simply tell them "ps4 is the suck" or whatever way kids speak now a days

Granted I would never spend $400 to play ori when I can spend $20 instead

TheOddOne

What? Lol no

It would generate them the money they lost on Xbox one this gen (not just from game sales but the micro transactions as well from the PC community) people don't own xbox's just for "halo" it's not 2001 anymore, some people own xbox's because their friends simply tell them "ps4 is the suck" or whatever way kids speak now a days

Granted I would never spend $400 to play ori when I can spend $20 instead
Yeah, sure. That is why.

Zombine

Banned
Great chance like in real life where the odds are in your favor, or great chance like in video games where even with a 90% chance the 10% chance in the game's favor will happen more often than not?

JaggedSac

I find great amusement in the fact that a big part of Microsoft's pitch for Windows 10 is that it is relatively trivial to port Xbox games to Windows 10, but they still for some reason haven't ported most of their games to Windows 10. If they said "All Xbox 360/One games published by MS are now on the Win10 app store, crossbuy with Xbox Live" that would be a huge win for their PC gaming business. I know why they won't do this, my point is their statements about being dedicated to PC gaming are hollow.

They claim to be really dedicated to PC gaming, but their involvement in PC gaming is always a means to an end. It's abundantly apparent that the only interest MS have in PC gaming is to use it as a trojan horse for other MS products and services, be it Windows Vista, using GFWL to advertise Xbox consoles to PC gamers, or now using a handful of b-tier ports to get users engaged with the Win10 app store.

Obviously that's fine, it's their choice, but it's why I can't take anything they say about PC gaming seriously.

This kind of stuff betrays the conflict inherent in MS's company wide strategy at the moment to be honest. They want to be a services company, and those services need a degree of industry ubiquity in order to be of value. But they also want to be a platform company, with features, products and services exclusive to their platforms/devices. They are trying to pull in two different opposing directions at once.

Did they ever justify not shipping an Xbox One streaming app for iOS/Android? They want to use Minecraft to shift Xboxes and Windows 10, but a great deal of Minecraft's value is in it's ubiquity. Any MS devices need to have a good Skype experience. But Skype is useless if you can only use it on MS devices. A big part of the pitch for their Surface devices has been that they are the best/only tablet for using MS Office, except then only recently they announced a version of MS Office for iPad.

It seems to me that for the immediate future (and the last decade or so) any commitment they have to PC gaming will be extremely limited, as to avoid undermining their Xbox console business. I'd love to be proven wrong, and see the kind of broad support for PC gaming that a company like MS could provide if they had an uncompromising dedication towards it, but I can't see that happening.

What? Most of MS services are everywhere. They have had versions of Office on iPad for quite a while now. The new announcement was an update. Skype is everywhere, Office is everywhere, OneNote is everywhere, Groove is everywhere, OneDrive is everywhere, etc. You don't see much criticism directed towards MS about them not putting their shit everywhere these days. You are about 2 or 3 years late with this.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If someone invests further in PC gaming, they will be mostly buying games from Not-Microsoft, MS will not make a cut of sales apart from on MS published games and on games bought from the Windows App Store.

If someone buys an Xbox console, Microsoft will make a cut from every single game they buy for it.

They're also making money off the console buyer through Gold subscriptions.

Kssio_Aug

Maybe MS intentions are to make their next gen consoles a PC with Windows 10. That way I could see they porting Halo, Gears, Forza and whatever else!

Kezen

Banned
Exactly. We have not seen any hints about that. None whatsoever.
Not a tease, nothing. It would sell very well though, although I probably would not buy it.

No problem, I don't mind being wrong but I can only wonder what is your basis for your belief.
Your previous comments are very strange as well, insider sources ?

Look, I don't pretend to be a market analyst but the way I see it Microsoft will not take the chance to release their AAA stuff on PC, not even exclusive to the Windows 10 store. Games which are not marketshare drivers (Fable Legends, Gears 1 Remaster, indies and F2P) are okay.

That's just the way it seems, to me. So I'd be very, very shocked if one "big" Xbone exclusive was to be ported to PC. It does not fit into what they're doing right now.

I don't know about Halo 5 but perhaps when Halo 6 rolls around MS will have gotten their PC platform sorted out to the point where the below is possible.

Kudo Tsunoda said:

I don't think it's a stretch anymore to say that a next gen Xbox is going to be running games from the same place as MS PC games.

kodecraft

4RrpqHu.png

Just joking.
Please come to Steam as well

Nah, Gears Ultimate, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and this Halo 5 if it comes will be Win 10 exclusive...meaning sold in the Windows Store.

The only strange thing I find about that extremely non-committal quote is the fact that he suggested that it would be a relatively easy port. I wouldn't expect them to say something like that because it just makes the true reasoning behind the lack of a port in the first place that much more obvious. MS is usually a little more careful to dance around that with other nebulous reason why ports don't come to the platform.

Trup1aya

I believe the main source of income is from xbox live, of course speaking strictly about xbox.

Ok, software and services are their main sources of income...

What they lose in service revenues from Xbox live, they could easily make up with software sales on PC... As the PC installed base dwarfs that of Xbox...

There is definitely a degree of overlap. In economic terms PC gaming and Xbox consoles are imperfect substitute goods. Neither is a perfect substitute for the other, but customers could be convinced to go for one over another by a variety of factors. Availability of games is one such factor.

Sure, MS would get just a small peice of the PC software pie, BUT, that pie is much larger than the console gaming pie... Also, Microsoft is currently getting nearly 0 percent of the PC pie, and they would like that to change.

MS would still stand to make money in console gaming: Some people simply prefer to play games on console and that's not going to change, even if their exclusive games become available elsewhere...

If you like Halo, but don't like playing on PCs, you're going to buy an Xbox. Otherwise, you'll get it from the MS store... Either way, your spending your money with MS. Which for MS, is better than you spending it with Sony, Nintendo, or Valve. If MS want to grow in the gaming space, they need to come to terms with the fact that there are a ton PC gamers that want to play their games , but don't want to buy a console...

Some people despise Microsoft ,yet would still get the game on a Windows pc. I'm not a genius, but doesn't it sound smart to release it on Windows 10?

LewieP

What? Most of MS services are everywhere. They have had versions of Office on iPad for quite a while now. The new announcement was an update. Skype is everywhere, Office is everywhere, OneNote is everywhere, Groove is everywhere, OneDrive is everywhere, etc. You don't see much criticism directed towards MS about them not putting their shit everywhere these days. You are about 2 or 3 years late with this.

My point was not that they never aim for ubiquity, but that they do so inconsistently. Hence very few MS published games on PC.

Top Bottom