• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software has 3 internal projects: 1 ARPG ala DS, 1 reboot & 1 new IP

"For first project, it seemed like action RPG with dark fantasy setting but approached from different angle than Dark Souls"

-> Different angle -> First-person -> King's field.

Gotcha. I'm ready!
He explicitly said no Kingsfield lmao. Wonder what"different angle" he could mean though since I doubt it refers to camera angle. Maybe more fantasy than dark?

Mentok

Banned
Miyazaki's personally wants to make a mixture of fantasy and mech, something like The Vision of Escaflowne

But he did rule out fantasy + mech as one of the working titles.

Oh wow, I've never went from hype to sadness so fast before. I thought my dream game was getting made. Especially when you drop Escaflowne in there.....

latest

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Man, happy news!! From Software is my favourite developer, keep delivering Miyazaki. So excited what they have in store for us.

Mendax

Dark souls 3 is the goty 2016 and an amazing game, so no.

because it is uninspired, possibly the most uninspired sequel in a decade. As a separate game it might be great but as part of a series not so much. dark souls 2 was waaaay better in that regard.

Robot Pants

why, why and why.

hasn't dark souls 3 proven yet that a supposed miyazaki touch does not exist..

i will have whatever you are smoking please.
And lots of it!

because it is uninspired, possibly the most uninspired sequel in a decade. As a separate game it might be great but as part of a series not so much. dark souls 2 was waaaay better in that regard.
Just keeps getting better!

I will not turn this into a dark souls war though

Kieli

I think it's a great way to put it. A great standalone game; but uninspired sequel.

I know not everybody is on board with a Bloodborne sequel, but I need more Bloodborne so bad. Even an inferior sequel would be welcome. Just give me more Bloodborne.
Does it really have to be bloodborne 2? Seems so unimaginative. The reason bloodborne was so great was because it took familiar mechanics into an amazing new setting. I feel like most people would be happy if they just did something new with the souls mechanics in a new setting nobody could have predicted.

MrDoctor

Oh wow, I've never went from hype to sadness so fast before. I thought my dream game was getting made. Especially when you drop Escaflowne in there.....
from already did a gundam vs-type game with escaflowne mechs on the dreamcast. it was called frame gride and it was awesome

Mendax

Ah, typical GAF hyperbole. No, not even close.

no, it is fact. Even yearly iterations like Asscreed and COD are more different across sequels. radically so.

DS3 is just various elements from ds1, 2 and bloodborne slapped together. and the asylum/prison from demon's souls. the fact that it is like this is the only surprise the game offered, unfortunately

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
no, it is fact. Even yearly iterations like Asscreed and COD are more different across sequels. radically so.
Hahahaha christ

DS3 is just various elements from ds1, 2 and bloodborne slapped together. and the asylum/prison from demon's souls. the fact that it is like this is the only surprise the game offered, unfortunately
It's funny because DS3 is actually more like Demon's Souls than any of those games so you are wrong even in your hyperbole!

Lux R7

No nothing is slapped, everything, old things and new things are merged wonderfully in a fantastic game and the real sequel i was personally waiting for. That said, you have no facts, you have an opinion, respectable, but just an opinion.

MilkBeard

Just stop now. Hyperbole at maximum levels

So your schtick is... you spout untrue things about games because you don't like them? Good schtick.

Robot Pants

what's crazy is I've only been annoyed enough to put ONE person on my GAF ignore list my entire time on this board..... Until today.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
He apologized for it taking so long to come out. Unlike other companies, they are only able to work on DLC once the main game is done.

Man, Miyazaki though...
Interviewer-Congratulations on DS3! It's sold great and has great reviews.
Miyazaki-Thanks. I've seen both positive and negative ones though.

The guy is such a perfectionist. He mentioned the maps not being as connected as a failure.

Interesting. I wonder how he and his team are evaluating some of the more prevalent gameplay-related concerns from the community, stuff like poise, the covenant systems, magic viability: whether they need to be addressed at all, if they'll "fix" them in a major patch, or if the DLC will be the update to mix things up.

However they go about it, I hope they take their time with the DLC and don't feel pressured to release it as soon as possible.

Mendax

So your schtick is... you spout untrue things about games because you don't like them? Good schtick.

nope, i like dark souls 3. just saying it is quite disappointing as a sequel. And it is also not untrue that other series have more difference between iterations. for example nothing is the same between AW and BLOPS3 (not locations, not items, not story, not maps etc.) and nothing except some animations is the same between Unity and Syndicate.

MrHoot

I wouldn't say that it's as bad as he puts it but I wouldn't disagree that some stuff don't feel like they're slapped together

Oh hello Stormbringer from DES1 in a way less impactful boss fight

Hello Catacombs and Izalith (that one super important place) designed like the most boring chalice dungeon

Hey to the plethora of item description just being callbacks to soul 1 as they barely have relevance to the current plot.

Denying the fact that fromsoft does (or rather HAS TO) rehash a ton of it's assets and themes to make these games on an annual basis, and that it doesn't impact the games negatively is being dishonest for me. Souls 3 is a good game but there's absolutely no surprises for someone who has played previous games, as almost everything falls into a predictable formula now

That's why I do not expect a bloodborne sequel to reach anywhere near the highs of the first one. It'll try and it might have some "huh, cool" moments but it'll all be stuff we've seen before but done in a less interesting way.
Just like the Yhorm fight

Lux R7

Hey to the plethora of item description just being callbacks to soul 1 as they barely have relevance to the current plot
I'm sorry but Ds1 was the same. 90 percent of item description had almost zero relevance in the plot, but full relevance in the lore. Ds3 is like the same.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Looks like my type of game. Is it any good?

Action Card RPG. I personally love the games but I can see how some people might be turned off by the game for a few things. The first game had random battles, there is a risk of running out of cards which wouldn't stop you from advancing in the game and having to repeat the stage. Common thing between both games is that both games are short about 8 hours each and around 10 if you go collecting all the cards and doing the sidequests of the games. The second game cuts framerate to 30fps, introduce basically a useless element and the story is not as interesting as the first game but still fun to play and has its fair share of improvements over the first in some areas but they have trade offs that IMO make them even in the end of the day.

silva1991

why, why and why.

It's not entirely his games like DS1 or BB

he joined DS3 team like after he finished with the base BB meaning he worked on it in less than a year.

BB is his last baby and what a game it is.

Coda

I honestly don't want another DS game at this point, as much as I loved DS III it was starting to become too familiar.

I'll accept a Bloodborne sequel but I'm excited to see which old IP they bring back and what new game they have in store for us as well.

Gbraga

It really wasn't. Dark Souls 3 is an actual sequel, it doesn't throw away everything that 1 built to say "no one remembers anymore, lol. By the way, your decision in the ending of the first game didn't matter, and we chose the worst possible ending to be canon".

All of the areas that 1 created and 3 expanded upon, like Astora, Carim, Vinheim and so on? Who cares, no one remembers any of that shit, we'll talk vaguely about new regions, but not nearly enough. Instead of giving more depth to the world, we'll just add more superficial stuff.

It's Dark Souls III, not Blood Souls or Darkborne, it does what a sequel should do, builds upon the foundation of the first game.

Let's take, for example, Chaos Storm, a pyromancy.

Its description in Dark Souls 1 reads:

Art of the Flame of Chaos, which engulfed
the Witch of Izalith and her daughters.
Erects localized chaos fire pillars.

The Witch of Izalith, in an ambitious attempt
to copy the First Flame, created instead the
Flame of Chaos, a twisted bed of life.

Ok, alright. We all know that, cool.

In Dark Souls 3, the description is:

Art of the Flame of Chaos, from Ancient Izalith. Erects multiple chaos fire pillars in vicinity.

Chaotic flame melts even great boulders, and creates a brief surge of molten lava on impact.

The all-engulfing Chaos Flame eventually formed a tumultuous seedbed, which birthed the twisted things known as Demons.

Thematically consistent, touches upon the same event and even the use of the word "seedbed" ties into another item, the Cleric Blue Robe:

They bore large covers on their backs to ensure that they would not become seedbeds for spreading darkness.

Which gives us some possible insight into the tree-shit that is going on with people in Dark Souls III.

Now, what is the description for Chaos Storm in Dark Souls II?

The chaos flame is said to have devoured the mother of pyromancy.
Create multiple pillars of chaos flame.

Those who sought great power were consumed by their own desires. Where are these lost souls now?

WHERE ARE THESE LOST SOULS NOW? SwiftRage

What the fuck is this shit? Why are they wasting description on pointless and idiotic riddles? What does that add to the lore and world of the game? Why does no one remember shit in Drangleic? Is history not a thing there? It makes no sense that everything is lost knowledge by now.

And it's not like they use that as an opportunity to have a brand new story or anything, its main quest is a retread of Dark Souls 1's main quest, but without a choice (later added as a patch, which made lore youtubers look dumb, when they said that not having a choice was the point, that your choice didn't matter, when it not mattering was a retcon in the first place).

Remember the Chaos Bug from Dark Souls 1? You see it crawling inside the Lost Sinner in the cutscene. The Lord Souls from the first game are all dropped from the equivalent Lord Bosses from Dark Souls II, Seath still has direct influence over the land after all this time, even though no one should remember anything. Bosses that shouldn't be so relevant in the grand scheme of things are pulling the strings, in a way.

I love Dark Souls II, a lot more than this post might lead you to believe. After all, these aren't walking simulators, there's more to them than their story. Not a fan of Scholar of the First Sin, but vanilla Dark Souls II is amazing. That being said, I honestly don't get this meme that "at least Dark Souls II did something original with the lore". No it didn't. Dark Souls III expands on the world created by Dark Souls, gives us more information on areas previously mentioned, shows us the current state of that world and gives meaning to the decision Dark Souls II made of choosing the linking of fire to be an uninterrupted cycle. We even get to know more
about what one of the serpents has been up to
, something I was expecting to get to know in Dark Souls II.

Dark Souls III even sort of pokes fun at this "no one remembers anything" from the second game. In Dark Souls III, every previous area is remembered by name, important figures are still remembered, even if no longer pulling the strings, we get to know what happened to almost every area after the first game, but when it comes to Drangleic, no one really remembers anything. Vendrick is just The King of Want, the knights are Drang Knights, "descendants from the land known for the legend of the Linking of the Fire." I thought it was kind of clever that the only place no one really remembers is the place that remembers nothing.

Jingo

In 3 projects one of them gotta be a bloodborne/dark souls sequel, they need the money from those games to finance other ips.

convo

why, why and why.

You can rest in peace since you won't have to deal with souls games from him anymore. Armored Core 4 sure as heck is a fine game in the series.

Kieli

Just stop now. Hyperbole at maximum levels

I don't know about the series he's mentioned, but Dark Souls 3 feels very derivative.

There's a lot of recycled armors, weapons, spells. A lot of the environments feel like rehashes: High Wall <-> Undead Burb, Grand Archive <-> Duke's Archives, Catacombs of Carthus <-> Catacombs, Farron's Keep <-> Blighttown.

Some elements of Dark Souls 3 we've seen in BB, like the Eclipse vs. Paleblood Moon.

As much as people like to criticize DSII, it was quite creative in how it changed things up. Unfortunately dual stancing, we've lost during the transition.

Tactics18

So these are "Internal" From projects, it could be that the projects that they are developing with SCEA are not included in this.

Sesha

Want

Demon/Dark/Blood spiritual successor
Tenchu
Otogi 3
Deep Space Giger Souls
Original stylish action game IP
Original horror game IP

I don't expect them to revive stuff like Echo Night or Shadow Tower. I'd be very surprised if one of the three is a revival of one of their one-off games.

Do the right thing FS

This looks wicked cool. Reminds me of Shadow Hearts.

So these are "Internal" From projects, it could be that the projects that they are developing with SCEA are not included in this.

I think it just means internally developed and not potentially outsourced like a remaster or the PS2-era Tenchu games.

Top Bottom