• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Rocket League Cross Platform play is coming! (PC, PS4, Xbox One!)

derFeef

Guys, it's there in the text. MS is open to PS4/XB1 crossplay, but I guess Sony did not hear from this as of now.

Arttemis

Expect to see Rocket League cross-network play working on Xbox One and PC later this spring, with information regarding other platforms coming soon.
We can’t wait!

It sounds like PS4 connectivity will come, just later than spring! Later is better than never!

Unless this is a stealth NX confirmation?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Thats interesting wording. So Cross Play with PC and not PS4?

So how does that work?

Cross play on consoles just matching you with PC people?

The other thing I'm wondering though is...what other platforms. Outside of One and PC, Rocket League is on PS4 and nothing else, correct me if I'm wrong.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Color me shocked. I didn't think Microsoft would ever allow it.

Good move, Microsoft.

ps3ud0

Yeah OPs got it wrong it seems, I wouldnt be surprised if PC transpires to be Win10store version of RL and nothing more for now...

ps3ud0 8)

Ball seems to be on Sony's side now, Microsoft is allowing cross-play with PC AND other consoles.

Times are a-changing.
Sony never forbid it, unless you can find me where they did.

If it's anyone's "court", I imagine it would be up to Psyonix (and maybe Sony working with them to get it working).

singhr1

Probably should link to the full quote by Chris Charla

First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players. We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.

Can't see why Sony wouldn't allow cross-platform play and look like the bad guys in this scenario, unless of course it deals with using Sony's authentication servers or something

Wow. This is huge. Very exciting news indeed. Rocket League community will officially never die, assuming Sony makes good on their previous claims.

cross posting

Microsoft announces Xbox Live cross-network (PSN and other networks) play

This is HUGE.

http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/14/letter-chris-charla-idxbox-updates-gdc
-------------------
Cross-Network Play
First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players. We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.
-------------------

Edit: obviously for this to work with PSN, Sony needs to allow the same from PSN versus other networks. Not only PCs.

Expect it to be limited to the possible W10 Store version. Lol.
This announcement specifically refers to crossplay between our Xbox One and Steam versions. There is no windows 10 requirement. As for other platforms, like it says in our blog, "with information regarding other platforms coming soon."

That's pretty wild.

Edit: Wait... Now I'm a little confused. How can Xbox players play with Sony players unless Sony also allows it? So all that's really going on here, at least for now, is just that Xbox can play with PC (Which is crazy in its own right, but not completely unheard of). If it goes beyond that, and MS really has agreed to cross-platform play, it would be amazing.

Oh no, it's not coming to PS4/Xbox yet...what are the chances that it magically gets dropped for just PC/Xbox?

Please be true cross play, itd be so cool.

Stuff like this is going to really pay off for a title like Titanfall 2.

Amazing to see such big steps being made from such a small team. VIDEOBALL hopefully going to be the same.

This announcement specifically refers to crossplay between our Xbox One and Steam versions. There is no windows 10 requirement. As for other platforms, like it says in our blog, "with information regarding other platforms coming soon."

Neat then ! :eek:
But does it means Steam version will play with both communities ?

Davey Cakes

Such great news. Rocket League is the kind of game that thrives from the largest online player base possible.

I have the game on PS4 but one of my friends is getting it on XB1. He'll be thrilled!

Yudoken

So MS suddenly decided to stop being so obsessed about their strict online policies?

Cool for everyone, this is one big step to finally merge online with all consoles and pc.

Games like Trials which suffer from being cross-platform (less active players, content creations are divided and so on) can finally be united.

PC players should additionally be able to choose mouse and keyboard (pc vs pc) or pad (vs console).
This would be truly the most next gen feature of this gen of consoles/games.

Edit: We'll, at least PC players can play against Bone players I guess...

So this means PS4 players will have a smaller PC base to play with? How will this work? They just segment off some PC players and assign them to either console?

singhr1

I'm glad its also not just cross-play with W10 store games but possible with Steam games as well. Nice job keeping it open :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So this means PS4 players will have a smaller PC base to play with? How will this work? They just segment off some PC players and assign them to either console?

No, it means PC players will start matchmaking and the matchmaking will check PSN/XBL for players, and whichever platform has players will pull the PC user that is in matchmaking into that console server. (For now, anyway?)

Boke1879

Like someone said earlier hopefully Sony will their playerbase to play with Xbox users as well. That would really open the floodgates and allow for some potential.

Say for something like Titanfall or the next COD. But you'd have to wonder how map exclusivity would factor into that.

ps3ud0

Your announcement doesnt really make that clear at all...

But yeah its up to Sony to make it completely platform agnostic crossplay.

Oh woe is Wii U :p

ps3ud0 8)

Top Bottom