• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Rocket League Cross Platform play is coming! (PC, PS4, Xbox One!)

Chucker

Xbox needs this. I have the game on all 3 platforms and the population is minuscule on Xbox compared to the other two.
Yes, I realize it's been out far longer on PS4/PC.

BiggNife

Reminder that, for Rocket League, cross platform play does not equal cross-platform parties for matchmaking. You can't party up with people on other platforms for ranked play and they would need to implement an account system specifically for Rocket League in order to do that.

It's still awesome that this is happening, but I think some people will assume this means they can play with their friends on PS4/PC when in this case that unfortunately isn't true.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Reminder that, for Rocket League, cross platform play does not equal cross-platform parties. You can't party up with people on other platforms and they would need to implement an account system specifically for Rocket League in order to do that.
You can't do matchmaking between platforms, but you can join custom games with them.

If you had 8 friends across different platforms you could all join the same room for 4v4.

viHuGi

Banned
Reminder that, for Rocket League, cross platform play does not equal cross-platform parties. You can't party up with people on other platforms and they would need to implement an account system specifically for Rocket League in order to do that.

It's still awesome that this is happening, but I think some people will assume this means they can play with their friends on PS4/PC when in this case that unfortunately isn't true.

You can play against them or in your team but parties ain't happening unless they do a own system inside the game.

J-Skee

Don't see anything about Rocket League support PS4-X1-PC play in their blog, but the fact that Microsoft is finally opening up to this is huge. I guess they're seeing the trend of games like SFV, Paragon & FFXIV being only PS4/PC with cross-play & they want in on that too. Maybe the next generation will truly be device agnostic.

EDIT: Also just realized that this opens up Xbox One-Steam play instead of just Xbox One-Windows 10. This is such good news.
EDIT 2: They're also supporting MonoGame, which means Axiom Verge will come to the Xbox One. More good news.

Shady859

I wonder if XB1 to PS4 voice chat would work as well. Not many people chat in game thankfully because those who do are usually annoying.... Voice chatter has always been more widespread on MS consoles.

BiggNife

You can't do matchmaking between platforms, but you can join custom games with them.

If you had 8 friends across different platforms you could all join the same room for 4v4.

I actually didn't know that, and that's cool, but most people want to team up with their friends for matchmaking and right now that isn't possible. And it probably won't ever be, because setting up an account system for Rocket League would be a shitload of work.

You can play against them or in your team but parties ain't happening unless they do a own system inside the game.

You could randomly match up against someone on another platform, but you can't actually team up together and go into the same matchmaking pool.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
What a save!

Good on Microsoft for allowing this. It needed to be done. I play primarily on PC so having more people is always a good thing.

I wonder if XB1 to PS4 voice chat would work as well. Not many people chat in game thankfully because those who do are usually annoying.... Voice chatter has always been more widespread on MS platforms.

My guess is PS4/XBO cross play will not be in. PC and XBO. PC and PS4.

EDIT: Yeah, based on the article that seems current.

Aricle said:
Expect to see Rocket League cross-network play working on Xbox One and PC later this spring, with information regarding other platforms coming soon.

Ricky_R

So Sony was on board with cross platform play already? They just didn't announce it?

Edit: Nvm. Sony isn't confirmed.

Copenap

If they really get PS4 into that party as well this would be incredibly huge as it would lead the way for a cross platform future. I cannot really believe this will be happening but I'm hoping for the best.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I wonder if XB1 to PS4 voice chat would work as well. Not many people chat in game thankfully because those who do are usually annoying.... Voice chatter has always been more widespread on MS consoles.

I mean to a person who is playing on steam and not through a MS account. I don't think he is running Win10 either.

Probably not. It will probably work exactly the way that the PS4/PC works. You can chat with other PC users but only send the regular "nice shot" etc commands back and forth.

Spizz

Banned
Hopefully this is the start of a great trend. Games like Destiny, CoD, The Division etc. would benefit greatly from this.

FyreWulff

Yeah it would...

I honestly have serious doubts though that this goes anywhere beyond generally smaller team titles. I mean, it isn't even happening here yet.

Big developers want to do it too. So many stories of where a 360 and PS3 version of a AAA title was working cross plat and MS said "nope".

IIRC this is also the reason why the One and 360 didn't get FFIV. Square wanted cross play between all versions, MS wanted the 360 and One to be on their own servers, Square was like "nah"

So I imagine soon the One might be getting FFIV.

Basically third parties all want this in theory because it means all of your customers can play together, you don't have to worry about population splits, etc.

FaintDeftone

I really hope Sony jumps on-board. No longer will I have to argue with my friends to buy the version of that hot new multiplayer game on the console I prefer.

FyreWulff

This is for 1 game though, right? Rocket League.

They announced it's for everyone. No way that they only give something that only indie devs can use but not AAA. Industry just doesn't work that way.

Hey Nintendo, join the party dont be a loner!

Nintendo joined the party back in 2006, you've always been able to do crossplat on Nintendo hardware, and they iterated again recently that developers are allowed to do it.

They announced it's for everyone. No way that they only give something that only indie devs can use but not AAA. Industry just doesn't work that way.

AAA devs dont give 2 shits about crossplay, too much work

Nintendo joined the party back in 2006, you've always been able to do crossplat on Nintendo hardware, and they iterated again recently that developers are allowed to do it.

I was talking about cross-not-same-company-platform-multiplayer

FyreWulff

AAA devs dont give 2 shits about crossplay, too much work

It's not too much work at the base engine level. Square already does it. Other companies wanted to do it but had to cut it due to politics. Now that political rule is gone. Defiance, for example, was demoed at E3 with PS3 and 360 kiosks playing with each other.

I was talking about cross-not-same-company-platform-multiplayer

So was I. There were Wii games that that had Wii and PC version crossplay. Pure Chess on the Wii U allows you to play games against PC and PSN and mobile users. Nintendo has not blocked anyone from crossplay.

Top Bottom