• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Rocket League Cross Platform play is coming! (PC, PS4, Xbox One!)

You pc players went down, and you Xbox players will soon be in my cross-hairs! 😈

Yeah, that idea I like.

50776.jpg

Cynn

I wonder if "other platforms" might mean Nintendo NX as well. Rocket League seems like a game that would really resonate with Nintendo fans.

Vex_

Banned
You pc players went down, and you Xbox players will soon be in my cross-hairs! 😈

Ikr. PC players are legit trash at this game. And PS players have a history of being better than xbawks players anyway so this is gonna me help my win ratio adding them to the player pool.

Chiramii

The game that keeps on giving, time and time again. It never stops! Congratulations to everyone at Psyonix, the game is a masterpiece.

I can already hear the in-game voice banter between PS and Xbox players.

telasoman

I thought rocket league on ps4 and pc already had cross play?

Correct.

Which makes the question of how it will work for PC players. Will you be matched up with either xbone or ps4 players then?

What I kind of want is an in game friends list setup, where if you have friends playing on console, you can group up with them cross system.

I can see it happening across all system. They just can't confirm it yet because they probably haven't talked to Sony.
I would bet Psyonix has talked with Sony about it. Considering Sony already has crossplay with PC and is the console leader, they've probably been waiting for Microsoft to make a move. Now that MS has joined the party, it's probably just a matter of time until Sony greenlights this on their end.

I just hope it's sooner rather than later since PC crossplay with either XB1 or PS4 but not both at the same time will negatively impact current PS4 matchmaking. PC players that would normally be avaliable to match with PS4 players could be routed to matches with XB1 players instead.

Basically, if this happens without Sony joining the party, PS4 players will see longer wait times for matches, and potentially less accurate matchmaking. Also, tournaments would not be able to field teams from all three platforms since private matches would also be split. On the flipside, if Sony agrees, matchmaking and tournaments get even that much better than they are now!

TL;DR. Ball is in Sony's court now. Who do we harass there to make this happen?

This is where I point out that that the game that caused full cross platform play for the first time in forever is rocket soccer with cars

Xbob42

Banned

I wish I had a group to play with. In my experience, we all get pretty frustrated when PS4 players show up in competitive, they're soooo bad at the division I'm in. (Well, was in, was like Gold III, I haven't ranked up much since the switch to these weird stars.) Serious ball hogs and very bad at passing.

Though I guess if you're looking for something like that and can only chat with your own platform, confirmation bias eventually takes place when in reality platform probably makes very little difference.

Is it possible to form parties across platforms?
Psyonix currently does not have a party system that works across the games (from what I know). You have to join a private match to specifically play across platforms. This could change down the road, of course.

Good interview on mashable regarding this announcement.

Link
"We were prodding everyone all the time," Jeremy Dunham, the studio's vice president, told Mashable.

"Today is the first day that anyone outside of Psyonix and Microsoft is aware of this," he said. "So obviously Sony is still getting as much information as they can and understanding the situation before they can really talk about it."

Dunham — and the rest of Psyonix — remains optimistic. He spoke glowingly of how Sony's always been a "good partner." There are just questions that need to be answered.

"The main process is now we have to talk about it," Dunham said.

"We have to discuss what [cross-platform play] means, what the implications are for PlayStation Network users and what the implications are in terms of the existing security protocols. Very similar to what happened with Microsoft and our long discussions with them."

Now, those discussions need to happen all over again, with Sony.

"We understand that Sony's got to evaluate everything that this means for them," Dunham said. "This is the first time in history that this is even a legitimate possibility for anybody. So we understand that it's going to take some discussion, but we're also really optimistic." More at link

man this is so exciting. C'mon Sony I have no doubt they will let this be.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Probably been asked but would any voice chat or finding friends options exist? (Being that both systems are console specific)

FyreWulff

Probably been asked but would any voice chat or finding friends options exist? (Being that both systems are console specific)

In game engine voice chat is feasible. Direct account search likely not, because that'd require MS and Sony to hook directly into each other's accounts systems.

What will likely happen first in any big wave of cross play is that other platforms would primarily be used to fill out matchmaking, where needing to be able to directly contact the other players is less of a concern.

Spinluck

Wonder how this will affect patches and such.

I feel like this is great for devs and consumers, hell, is there even a single negative MS or Sony can spin out of this?

FyreWulff

Wonder how this will affect patches and such.

I feel like this is great for devs and consumers, hell, is there even a single negative MS or Sony can spin out of this?

Developers already used to submitting patches to MS and Sony at the same time, not much of a new workload for them

One thing I do wonder is about The Warthog and Gears car. On PC we see Sweetooth's van as the standard van. What will we see the Xbox cars as? I'm guessing these two are based on vehicles with similar hitboxes?

FyreWulff

One thing I do wonder is about The Warthog and Gears car. On PC we see Sweetooth's van as the standard van. What will we see the Xbox cars as? I'm guessing these two are based on vehicles with similar hitboxes?

Standard cars, every car in Rocket League has the same hitbox

Limality

Banned
Isn't the title of this thread totally misleading? One could think Rocket League will actually have Cross Platform Play among PS4, PC, Xbox One...when in reality it's PC to PS4 and PC to Xbox One.

With that said, I'm hoping full Cross Platform Play / Matchmaking will happen sooner than later.

Top Bottom