• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuse (formally OverStrike) Re-Reveal (and Impressions), releasing Q1 2013

J-Tier

Gameplay seems like its still in tact, though the quirky humor has been toned down and the art has lost a lot of flair, since they're going for the realistic/gritty look. Despite the strengths of the game, I'm going to have to pass.

Borderlands 2 seems to have caught my attention more, sure, I might keep this on the radar but I really loved Overstrike and this on the other hand...it's not bad, but not good enough for me to add to my growing list of games to buy.

Squire

Banned
Gameplay seems like its still in tact, though the quirky humor has been toned down and the art has lost a lot of flair, since they're going for the realistic/gritty look. Despite the strengths of the game, I'm going to have to pass.

Borderlands 2 seems to have caught my attention more, sure, I might keep this on the radar but I really loved Overstrike and this on the other hand...it's not bad, but not good enough for me to add to my growing list of games to buy.

This sounds like impressions you give after actually playing a game. You sure are drawing a lot from a few previews and a handful of screens.

J-Tier

This sounds like impressions you give after actually playing a game. You sure are drawing a lot from a few previews and a handful of screens.

Nope, "gameplay is still in tact", what they initially introduced is still in the game, but more polished.

"Quirky humor has been toned down", they themselves have said that there is still humor in it, but it's not going to be as zany as Overstrike, to keep it more realistic.

"the art has lost a lot of flair", you can see this on a surface level. It's no doubt a matter of opinion, I liked Overstrike's art direction, I do not like Fuze's look.

So, in conclusion, I acknowledge there are many aspects of this game that are fantastic. It still hasn't won a place on my shelf as many other titles overshadow it.

Toppot

It should be noted TJ Fixman is also writing the new Batman cartoon as well as a one-off Batman comic. A good story is a good story, but I'm sure he's capable of writing something darker than what we're used to in R&C.
Source? I follow him on Twitter pretty closely and not heard anything about this. I know he did the one digital comic book (Which was cool and worth checking out) and he said he'd like to do more similar but I haven't heard anything linking him to the new cartoon.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Not sure. Most of the way there on the legal stuff though, one last hurdle

Kills me we don't have it, as I think seeing the game and weapons in motion would alleviate at lot of the hand wringing - vs just the screenshots.

To note - its more of an action sizzle trailer rather than a story / universe trailer though

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I think we're really close on the trailer. just figuring out timing for release now and fixing a couple last second audio mix things

AcridMeat

Banned
Just caught the thread and I'm really disappointed at the news. That E3 trailer last year made me so pumped for something fresh and not grounded in some form of reality.

Weren't the guys in Army of Two supposed to be wise cracking as well? My point is style goes so much further for me than what your characters say.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Just caught the thread and I'm really disappointed at the news. That E3 trailer last year made me so pumped for something fresh and not grounded in some form of reality.

Weren't the guys in Army of Two supposed to be wise cracking as well? My point is style goes so much further for me than what your characters say.

haha, don't get too stressed about us making this too realistic, some of the locales, enemies and stuff go beyond realism... as do the weapons (a magnetic energy shield, a black hole gun, a lava crossbow, and a crystalizing weapon).

anyways, while we're trying to keep it grounded - realism isn't necessarily the big concern.

The screens make it look terribly boring and bland (especially compared to what we thought we going to get after the original CG trailer), but the impressions give me hope that this will be a fun co-op game, the class variety and mechanics in play sound great. I just wish they would have kept the original aesthetic / name.

I think I'm still interested in this, but the biggest disappointment is definitely the character style. I really liked how they each had their own individual dress and seeing them in generally the same combat uniform takes away from it a little bit. The fun gameplay and the dialogue that I love from Insomniac is probably going to still be there, but it lost just a bit of the Insomniac visual style. Ah well. Keeping my eyes peeled for more information.

Apparently IG is showing FUSE on that crappy show. Logo is lol.
A2tIRZ9CUAAa9Hx.jpg

Toppot

hyper temp logo, btw. Trailer has something that's quite a bit closer to where it'll be when final
Just curious, why is the 'hyper temp' logo being used if the trailer has a better one? Was this filmed a while ago or you couldn't get the newer asset to them in time to use on stage and other material?

Loudninja

Sounds amazing

Each of the four characters - Naya, Izzy, Jacob, and Dalton - have their own impressive, Fuse-powered weapons, but they also each have their own special power, unleashed with the RB or R1 buttons, that often changes how the fight goes. Naya can cloak herself and do some brutal melee takedowns, but her Warp gun fires bullets that can spawn little black holes for sucking up enemies and making them disappear. Izzy was my favorite of the demo; she's got a healing beacon that's thrown like a grenade and it can remotely heal people or even help bring up a downed buddy from a distance, and her Crystal gun fires these crystalline shards that spread and impact among enemies - along with creating a wonderful modern art masterpiece, the crystal solidifies in place, holding enemies trapped in it. I didn't get to see too much of what Jacob does, but he's got a crossbow for silent kills at a distance. Finally, Dalton's big thing is his large, wide shield he projects in front of him. Not only does it block enemy fire, but he can "punch" enemies with it, and even press a button to drop it down in place
The example we saw was breaching a secure facility, where two characters could go through a sewer grate to come up in a back area on the ground floor of the building, while two others put explosive charges on the wall to create a big boom and get inside while taking the stationed soldiers by surprise. While the enemies are staring at the big hole that was created in the wall, two players can get in behind them and easily take them out. We used cover only in certain situations here, as it's often better to stand out in the open with these new Fuse powers or just keep moving and flanking the enemy. What's important here is that while this can be played like a cover shooter, there are other viable options, too. After nearly a whole console generation full of rigid cover shooter mechanics, it's nice to see developers embrace them without relying on them so heavily. (Oh, and in case you're wondering, if you've got a full four-player game going, there's no instantaneous switching between characters, but Insomniac does plan on putting checkpoints throughout levels that allow players to swap characters for the next section of the game.)
http://www.atomicgamer.com/articles/1434/fuse-preview

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Just curious, why is the 'hyper temp' logo being used if the trailer has a better one? Was this filmed a while ago or you couldn't get the newer asset to them in time to use on stage and other material?

please don't ask questions that I don't have good answers to. :-/

I think it looks pretty great. I <3 Insomniac and have total faith in whatever they develop. I even found great enjoyment in the "horrid" Resistance 2. I can't wait to see this Fuse trailer in a bit. Keep up the good work IG!

8byte

Banned
R1 to unleash fuse power? so shoot is on R2? they better have customizable control : <

360, shoot was on the triggers, I believe. Primary fire on RT, secondary on RB. LT was aim, LB was grenade (I think).

I could be wrong, but I believe "Fuse" was up on the d-pad. Left and right swapped between your two weapons.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
New trailer around 9pm PDT

Good to hear! Must've been a pain to hit all those unforeseen roadblocks, but glad it finally worked out for you guys after all.

Really excited to see this thing motion. A solid gameplay trailer could easily put to rest some of my initial disappointment regarding the new art style.

Squire

Banned
Source? I follow him on Twitter pretty closely and not heard anything about this. I know he did the one digital comic book (Which was cool and worth checking out) and he said he'd like to do more similar but I haven't heard anything linking him to the new cartoon.

It's in his bio.

tirminyl

I liked the AtomicGamer piece. It sounds fun and brought me out of my dark "OverStrike was a better name and the previous art was much better" mood. It lost 2 points of interest for name and visual changes but got 1 point back. I can't wait to see gameplay.

Man

Post a new thread please when the trailer is up.

edit: And no point bloating the title with 'previously 2011's OverStrike' etc, everyone who cared originally knows now.

8byte

Banned
jstevenson - Where is the trailer going up? YT Channel?

bankedpony - Just 2. You can play 2 offline with 2 online, and any combination in between, but no more than 2 locally.

bakedpony

jstevenson - Where is the trailer going up? YT Channel?

bankedpony - Just 2. You can play 2 offline with 2 online, and any combination in between, but no more than 2 locally.

Aww would have loved to play this locally with friends. Guess it's too difficult to implement. Ratchet had the advantage of sharing one screen for everybody.

8byte

Banned
Aww would have loved to play this locally with friends. Guess it's too difficult to implement. Ratchet had the advantage of sharing one screen for everybody.

Yea, single screen is significantly less resources intensive comparatively to 4 player split for obvious reasons.

Toppot

It's in his bio.
His Twitter Bio?

Senior Writer, Insomniac Games. Writer of Ratchet & Clank, Fuse, and Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight. All opinions here are my own.

Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight is the comic book. Beware the Batman is the name for the TV show which isn't listed there.

Top Bottom