• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuse (formally OverStrike) Re-Reveal (and Impressions), releasing Q1 2013

This game looks ok. Definitely more excited for the new Ratchet though. As long as Insomniac keeps giving us the R&C love I don't really care what they do beyond that.

8byte

Banned
You did your best. You fought the good fight.

Snakesalute.jpeg or however you do it.

:lol. well played.

There's a point from which the more you argue the more poisonous the argument becomes. It will escalate with people adding fuel just to watch the flames grow. That will not benefit you or the game. From this point let the game stand by itself.

I know, it just baffles me that someone could consider this of all things, the biggest disappointment of this generation with such a tiny amount of media. Their hype for it must have been extraordinary.

jstevenson can you please tell me why you guys are releasing this game in March? Q1 is so overstacked at this point its ridiculous. Most people dont have the time or money to play 10-12 AAA titles over the course of three months. GTA5 is also rumored for the March/April time frame. Heres a list of big releases for Q1 2013. Im sure I forgot some. I already plan to buy 6 of these titles, which is more then I've ever bought during the holiday period.

GoW Ascension- March
Tomb Raider- March
Gears of War: Judgement- March
Sly Cooper- Feb
Dead Space 3- Feb
Bioshock Infinite- Feb 26th
Metal Gear Rising- Feb 19th
Aliens Colonial Marines
DmC- Jan
Ni No Kuni- Jan
Lost Planet 3- Jan

edit: I think Crysis 3 is March/April too.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The body-hopping mechanic with each character having a specific gameplay "hook" reminds me of Jericho.

boxart.jpg

Game is looking good, although to be honest I'm mostly looking forward to Insomniac's weapon design. Resistance 3 was great only because its weapons were so damn fun to use.

Sounds like EA wants their own Gears of War...

Except this doesn't look as fun or as good as Gears.

I miss Overstrike.

Maybe EA will pull an SSX after this backlash and get rid of the military tone, but I doubt it.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

I miss Overstrike.

Maybe EA will pull an SSX after this backlash and get rid of the military tone, but I doubt it.

i missed the time where we were making a military shooter, apparently

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I miss Overstrike.

This is Insomniac's game.

EA's take on the co-op third person military shooter genre is Army of Two.

This is pretty clearly an Insomniac driven game as well if you look at the way the weapons work and the general designs, even if I find them less appealing than before and disagree with their take that characters must be more photorealistic to be taken seriously.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
jstevenson can you please tell me why you guys are releasing this game in March? Q1 is so overstacked at this point its ridiculous. Most people dont have the time or money to play 10-12 AAA titles over the course of three months. GTA5 is also rumored for the March/April time frame. Heres a list of big releases for Q1 2013. Im sure I forgot some. I already plan to buy 6 of these titles, which is more then I've ever bought during the holiday period.

GoW Ascension- March
Tomb Raider- March
Gears of War: Judgement- March
Sly Cooper- Feb
Dead Space 3- Feb
Bioshock Infinite- Feb 26th
Metal Gear Rising- Feb 19th
Aliens Colonial Marines
DmC- Jan
Ni No Kuni- Jan
Lost Planet 3- Jan

edit: I think Crysis 3 is March/April too.

Pretty much this and Rising are the only games I'm interested out of that line up personally.

Besides that people say this every year. Q1 is always crowded

8byte

Banned
So will this game linear? Or say more open like a Halo.

It feels in the middle, at least in the sections we played Kind of like a larger area with evolving combat scenarios (enemies coming in waves from different areas, having to shift position and progress, etc).

It's hard to say since we only played two areas, but if it's anything like their previous games, expect it to be in the middle somewhere.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
On a more positive note jstevenson, I feel your visuals are quite nice from a technical perspective, especially given that you support full 4 player campaign co-op and are multiplat.

8byte

Banned
Pretty much this and Rising are the only games I'm interested out of that line up personally.

Q1, 3 and 4 are almost always a little crowded in some way, haha.

Did anyone confirm what platform they played it on? Theres a good chance PS3 is the lead platform.

The game was running on a PC in the Dev environment, not on a console. There is no lead platform.

Corto

On a more positive note jstevenson, I feel your visuals are quite nice from a technical perspective, especially given that you support full 4 player campaign co-op and are multiplat.

Had that CG trailer never existed and we would be drooling over this screenshots on a 4 players co-op game.

Sorry to bother again but does someone has an ETA to the GT show that will unveil the gameplay video? jstevenson?

I have no doubt this game will play great, being an Insomniac 3rd person shooter and all. Once my disappointment with the artstyle change subsides, i'll probably end up looking forward to it. But man, so much disappointment... looking at the original Overstrike character designs and then these... :/

I honestly think it will get overshadowed, which sucks for Insomniac.

Bioshock Infinite I think is most peoples most anticipated, including mine. But I also really want to get Rising, DmC, Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3, and definitely GoW: Ascension. I'll probably have to choose between Dead Space 3 and Tomb Raider based on reviews and what not.

edit: Regardless if were interested in the games it doesn't change the fact its over crowded during Q1 2013 and there many other people interested in these games. Not a good time to release a new IP like Fuse.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but I mean people say that every year about every quarter but the summer.

So I just assume professional developers and publishers know what they're doing when they choose release windows and know something I don't

instead of trying to convince them to change their minds on message boards, you know?

Like I'm sure they know what else is coming out in that time period.(It's their job) They're not gonna see your post and think "OH SHIT JohnnySasaki86 is right call EA we what were we thinking!!"

So I never understand the purpose of posts like that

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be reading this thread through the hour, but I am curious, does the game have splitscreen co-op? I am anxious to know! I wanna have a cool game to play with friends and Insomniac makes awesome co-op games.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Exaggeration much? Nothing is that bad. Nothing. That looks like crap, even going by realistic standards.

It's not nearly as severe, but the art itself can impact the perception a lot. I liked the main designs they had and it's a shame to see them go away from it. Most people didn't see to care about Borderlands until they revealed the new artstyle, standing out from the crowd is a good thing.

Holy crap, Fuze seems darker than I thought.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/09/12/why-did-overstrike-become-fuse
The heroes of Fuse are barely heroes at all. They’re all deeply flawed, and their group, Overstrike 9, is hardly a team at all. They’re mercenaries who happen to organize together, and some have personal histories with each other. They’re the grown-up version of a ragtag motley crew, each with disturbing (not just dark) pasts. Jacob Kimble, for instance, is a former LAPD cop – “former” because his black-and-white brand of justice once involved locking a child-killer in the trunk of a car and burning him alive. Dalton Brooks, on the other hand, used to work for the terrorists he’s hunting down.

Well, some crazy sci-fi pulp, I'm intrigued. Hopefully it doesn't end up like Bulletstorm :(

Reading the gameplay impressions now

uhm.. this seems like a total 180 from the original trailer...? the impression I got from the trailer is like they're real close with each other and Brooks is very likeable as he tried to defends the accusations against his team. can't believe this come from the same guy who write ratchet games.

I... I'll try to be positives and this is just the backstory of the team, hopefully in the game they've already had solid bond as a team. and mercenaries happened to organize together is not always bad, that's how Binary Domain team come to be..

8byte

Banned
^^^^

Ted made it sound like they start out at odds with each other, and slowly grow on each other and build a relationship, which fleshes out their character development, buzz words etc etc.

I'll be reading this thread through the hour, but I am curious, does the game have splitscreen co-op? I am anxious to know! I wanna have a cool game to play with friends and Insomniac makes awesome co-op games.

It will have split screen co-op for 2 people.

Ploid 3.0

Thinking back to R2 co op (which I loved like crack), I wonder how different it will feel only having 4 players. One of the things I liked about R2's co op is that I could almost become invisible in the scale of the group. No one needed me too much but I could help a lot. With 4 I hope we don't really depend on the 4 players too much.

4 player R2 co op.

"What happened? We almost had that!"

"Tank kept dying man, he's been half asleep the whole run. Also this Spec Ops wasn't on top of the ammo refills."

Ploid 3.0

uhm.. this seems like a total 180 from the original trailer...? the impression I got from the trailer is like they're real close with each other and Brooks is very likeable as he tried to defends the accusations against his team. can't believe this come from the same guy who write ratchet games.

I... I'll try to be positives and this is just the backstory of the team, hopefully in the game they've already had solid bond as a team. and mercenaries happened to organize together is not always bad, that's how Binary Domain team come to be..

Maybe that trailer is from a later part of the story. I like the show Leverage (series shoe of thieves doing heists lead by a strategy guy), at the start they didn't really care for each other, but down the line in the series they are a family much like that trailer.

Really hate the changes they made to the art. It really is like a reverse Borderlands(which used to look like...)

I don't think I ever saw that version of borderlands. The move to color and the style they ended up with was a great choice. So much gray and brown in that shot.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is somewhat unfortunate for me. I hate how coop shooters are being designed these days. I hate the name. I hate how it looks.

But I do like Insomniac so that's something.

Ploid 3.0

Looking at the screen shots again, it seem to have some kind of Sin City effect going on. The orange and green in them are the most interesting parts while the gray is almost invisible. Imagine more color on the robot (I think the close up robo screen is the best. It looks like a cool looking robot). Then you see the shot with the guy holding up his shield, and the orange is shown again (JJ Abrams flare, cool effect showing the silhouette of the tank guy), which draws in your eyes.

Highlighting things in this game will be pretty easy, maybe pickups and weak points will be important.

Edit: At least everything isn't black and gold. I should finish Deus Ex HR.

8byte

Banned
I hate how coop shooters are being designed these days.

Totally unrelated to Fuse, but I'd be interested in pursuing this discussion further. What is it that you don't really like with regards to standard co-op mechanics?

Mrbob

Holy cow, this thread is harsh. I'm not a fan of the new art style either but I'm not going to condemn the entire game for it.

Bobstradamus predicts a 180 in this thread once the trailer hits.

March 2013 release date does seem like horrible timing, though.

Squire

Banned

It should be noted TJ Fixman is also writing the new Batman cartoon as well as a one-off Batman comic. A good story is a good story, but I'm sure he's capable of writing something darker than what we're used to in R&C.

Also, not sure if 8byte, jsteve, or anybody can answer this, but can you mix/match bots and live co-op players? (i.e. Myself and a friend play online as Dalton and Izzy while Jacob and Naya are bots.)

Ploid 3.0

Holy cow, this thread is harsh. I'm not a fan of the new art style either but I'm not going to condemn the entire game for it.

Bobstradamus predicts a 180 in this thread once the trailer hits.

March 2013 release date does seem like horrible timing, though.

I don't care when it's released, if it's as good as the R2 co op (a some what of a sequel to it?!!) I'd be all over it, even if it was only black and white. Gun class based rpg. Borderlands scratched the itch a bit, but it wasn't the same. I couldn't even play with my friends because of a glitch with the friends list in that.

It should be noted TJ Fixman is also writing the new Batman cartoon as well as a one-off Batman comic. A good story is a good story, but I'm sure he's capable of writing something darker than what we're used to in R&C.

Also, not sure if 8byte, jsteve, or anybody can answer this, but can you mix/match bots and live co-op players? (i.e. Myself and a friend play online as Dalton and Izzy while Jacob and Naya are bots.)
Well they're talking about how you can switch character you control on the fly, so it'd be nice if I control Dalton and Sinclair while you control the other 2 character, I think it's brilliant, one annoyance in coop game is you're out of play once you are downed needing to wait for your friends to revive you, with the abiloty to switch character on the fly, you can just switch to different character and keep playing, revive your downed character yourselves, also love how they mention the game felt sandboxy, resistance 2 coop got old really fast for me since the character class rely on other class to xurvive, the formation didnt really change much, with skill trees etc, I hope you dont have to rely too much on your team this time, but cooperation will make you even more deadly and more efficient. Instead of just enough to survive.

8byte

Banned

Sorry, I totally missed this!

Yes,, you can mix and match. If you're playing with 2 players, then you can swap to any available bot. You can also do this if you're online with 2 other people (3 players total) then you can leap to open bots.

Looks sharp, but I wish they were using the previous character designs. Shame they changed it to something more mature looking.

At the very least, the game should be fun to play.

Squire

Banned
Well they're talking about how you can switch character you control on the fly, so it'd be nice if I control Dalton and Sinclair while you control the other 2 character, I think it's brilliant, one annoyance in coop game is you're out of play once you are downed needing to wait for your friends to revive you, with the abiloty to switch character on the fly, you can just switch to different character and keep playing, revive your downed character yourselves, also love how they mention the game felt sandboxy, resistance 2 coop got old really fast for me since the character class rely on other class to xurvive, the formation didnt really change much, with skill trees etc, I hope you dont have to rely too much on your team this time, but cooperation will make you even more deadly and more efficient. Instead of just enough to survive.

I didn't think of it this way, but I absolutely agree! Should keep players from having to sit out the acTion too much. (I hate that too.)

Sorry, I totally missed this!

Yes,, you can mix and match. If you're playing with 2 players, then you can swap to any available bot. You can also do this if you're online with 2 other people (3 players total) then you can leap to open bots.

Great! Thanks for the clarification and wonderful impressions in the OP. You're not a games journo, but those impressions sure made it seems like you went for a job. Much appreciated.

Ploid 3.0

I actually loved the black and gold art style from Deus Ex HR, it seemed to fit so well with the setting and soundtrack. Very immersive experience.

I thought it looked interesting at first, then I just got a bit tired of the theme. I wish there was an option to change the gold to another color.

Look generic third person shooter #5000

Hard to believe they've gone from making Spyro to this

Maybe if you actually read the preview you'd be able to grasp just what Insomniac is doing with the game. But go ahead and be superficial and base your entire opinion on the one screenshot you looked at.

Top Bottom