• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Club Unlocked Appreciation Thread (saving $$$ for the console/handheld gamer)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So I'm planning on picking up freedom wars on Tuesday which is $40 + tax which qualifies for this deal. I currently have the 20% off which would drop it to around 34, would that get me the $30 gcu deal? Or since it'll drop below $40 it's disqualified

As long as the MSRP of the game is $39.99 or higher then you will still be able to get the 75% discount for GCU, even if you end up paying less than $39.99 for the game.

So yes it should still work.

SnakeEyez

As long as the MSRP of the game is $39.99 or higher then you will still be able to get the 75% discount for GCU, even if you end up paying less than $39.99 for the game.

So yes it should still work.

Thanks for the quick reply. Made the freedom wars purchase easier to make.

Well, that was a complete failure...

Went to BestBuy to get this deal, and I was looking for an ideal game for 39.99 or more, and they had absolutely nothing for the platforms I own. The newest Vita game they carried was Borderlands 2, they weren't carrying Super Smash Bros [which I don't even want, I only intend to get it to play with a close friend] for my inbound 2DS, and there were no X360 or PS3 games I needed to get [I AM buying Guilty Gear Xrd for PS3, but that's all the way in December], not to mention that there was no employee help anywhere near the video games area.

There are 2 other BestBuys in the area between my job and home, and maybe in a few days I'll try again in a different location, but that was a burnout of a first attempt at reconsidering my all-digital ways.

Boogiepop

Oh, and this has been throwing me off: can you buy 3 of the same game with this, or just 2? It says 3 on the card but that seems to conflict with some of the posts in here. I'm trying to share the wealth around a little with my friends so this would be helpful to know.

mannerbot

Well, that was a complete failure...

Went to BestBuy to get this deal, and I was looking for an ideal game for 39.99 or more, and they had absolutely nothing for the platforms I own. The newest Vita game they carried was Borderlands 2, they weren't carrying Super Smash Bros [which I don't even want, I only intend to get it to play with a close friend] for my inbound 2DS, and there were no X360 or PS3 games I needed to get [I AM buying Guilty Gear Xrd for PS3, but that's all the way in December], not to mention that there was no employee help anywhere near the video games area.

There are 2 other BestBuys in the area between my job and home, and maybe in a few days I'll try again in a different location, but that was a burnout of a first attempt at reconsidering my all-digital ways.

I hadn't been to Best Buy in years, but apparently they don't keep new games on the shelves anymore. You probably want to check stock online and then just go to customer service and ask for the stuff you want.

Oh, and this has been throwing me off: can you buy 3 of the same game with this, or just 2? It says 3 on the card but that seems to conflict with some of the posts in here. I'm trying to share the wealth around a little with my friends so this would be helpful to know.

It should be 3 per platform, though you'd only get the $10 preorder rewards bonus once per title regardless of platform.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Stopped by earlier today to pick up Borderlands: TPS for my PS3 and got Gamers Club Unlocked alongside it. The discount kicked in for the game so my total bill was ~$80 after tax. Not bad. My brother is thinking of getting Bayonetta 2 so with that purchase I will be 80% of the way towards the membership paying for itself. Not bad at all.

akileese

I hadn't been to Best Buy in years, but apparently they don't keep new games on the shelves anymore. You probably want to check stock online and then just go to customer service and ask for the stuff you want.

It should be 3 per platform, though you'd only get the $10 preorder rewards bonus once per title regardless of platform.

What? The ones around me always carry new games and they're available on the shelves. Plenty copies of bayonetta 2 and Fantasy Life (which I picked up for my GCU). Where do you live that your best buy just doesn't stock anything?

fenners

That is definitely not the official policy.

Doh, doh, doh, doh - you're right. I was thinking of price adjustments - where BB drops the price within the timeframe allowed. *That's* the one I was thinking of when I made that comment. A lot of stores don't know how to process it, but on the BB GCU forum, BB agents have said that it should be supported - you'd get the price drop & then 20% off that adjusted price.

Sorry, really didn't mean to spread misinformation around.

Really excited to get in on this today. Best Buy has officially stolen my business from Amazon.

I picked up Drive Club today even though I wasn't that excited about it, but I only paid $52 for it after tax, and being part of the club I can trade it in right now for $44. So at worst it'll be a rental if I trade it in soon.

Already pre-ordered Sunset Overdrive and Advanced Warfare, and got the $20 in credit for doing so. Just buying those two games I've already made out on this deal.

Thanks for the advice, I'll certainly do those things on my 2nd attempt.

Prologue

Picked it up today, very happy.

I actually thought you can't pick up two of the game title on the same system? The bonus is still there.

What does this mean?

Members are limited to three copies of a new (i.e. not pre-owned) gaming software title per platform, per year. Collector’s and Limited Editions count toward that title limit. Game of the Year editions, usually released much later including additional content do not count toward that limit but would essentially start as a separate game and limit.

Source

Skiesofwonder

Members are limited to three copies of a new (i.e. not pre-owned) gaming software title per platform, per year. Collector’s and Limited Editions count toward that title limit. Game of the Year editions, usually released much later including additional content do not count toward that limit but would essentially start as a separate game and limit.

Source

The funny thing is that Best Buy will allow you to continue to get 20% on the fourth version and beyond, but later they will flag your account which results you not being able to get further GCU discounts on games.

Can you preorder with GCU or no? I know people asked earlier in the thread but I don't think it was ever answered.

No. Preorder transactions are processed differently and don't qualify for any promotions, including this one. Preorder pickups do though since they're a regular sale.

Source

The way that is worded can easily confuse you into thinking they're saying "3 Xbox One games per year", but I think they're saying "you can only buy 3 copies of the same game with your discount".

Right?

Webhead

Banned
Really excited to get in on this today. Best Buy has officially stolen my business from Amazon.

I picked up Drive Club today even though I wasn't that excited about it, but I only paid $52 for it after tax, and being part of the club I can trade it in right now for $44. So at worst it'll be a rental if I trade it in soon.

Already pre-ordered Sunset Overdrive and Advanced Warfare, and got the $20 in credit for doing so. Just buying those two games I've already made out on this deal.

Wait, are you saying you have already received the $10 reward certificate for both games?

The way that is worded can easily confuse you into thinking they're saying "3 Xbox One games per year", but I think they're saying "you can only buy 3 copies of the same game with your discount".

Right?

Correct.

You can only buy 3 copies of a title, the purpose is to stop people from sharing the GCU.

Webhead

Banned
No, but it showed the offer on their site when I pre-ordered. I assume I'll get them once the transactions are complete.

Ahh ok I see. Yeah, supposedly you get the certificate emailed to you when you pick up the game. I'm still waiting on my from Shadow of Mordor though and I picked it up on launch day...

akileese

No. Preorder transactions are processed differently and don't qualify for any promotions, including this one. Preorder pickups do though since they're a regular sale.

Ah okay. So in theory you could do a preorder for in store pickup online and it should take the discount off?

Skiesofwonder

Ahh ok I see. Yeah, supposedly you get the certificate emailed to you when you pick up the game. I'm still waiting on my from Shadow of Mordor though and I picked it up on launch day...

It takes around 15 days after purchasing the game for it to become available.

Can someone summarize what this current deal is? I've been wanting to sign up for a while....is now a good time?

It's summarized in the OP.

Smokey

I've been a member for some time. Pre-ordered Sunset Overdrive today and it came out to $30. Used the GCU discount plus a $20 certificate I had that probably came from other game purchases through out the year. Not to mention the $10 I'll get for pre-ordering the game. If it is terrible I can probably trade it in to Best Buy for $40+ and come out ahead.

Based GCU

I had GCU before and it was really nice for when games went on sale. You can get games are great prices that way with the extra 20% off. I'd like to jump on it during this sale but... I don't think there is anything out that week that I really want. I already have Halo and CoD paid off. Maybe there will be a decent $40 game to pick up.

Maybe I'll just get Sunset Overdrive, play it for a week and then trade it in to put the money towards GTA, Far Cry or whatever.

Ah okay. So in theory you could do a preorder for in store pickup online and it should take the discount off?

Yup, it's just the brick & mortar preorders that won't process the discount until pickup. I only ever put $5 down instore for that reason. All of my pickup orders, including preorders, get GCU taken off in checkout.

EDIT: So are we talking about GCU in general, or the sub for $30 deal? Because the latter won't work with instore pickups since they are technically online orders and the promo is for instore only.

Lasdrub

Thanks for the thread. I usually don't trade in games, but I think this will be worth it for Nintendo games that don't go down in price.

netguy503

For people that can't find a game this week, know that this offer will be extended to COD week so don't worry too much about doing it this week if you're feeling forced to pick a game. Also Best Buy is having a 50% extra trade in (60% w/CGU) bonus that week so if you bring in some games you might make up the cost of the two year membership in your very first transaction. :)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/337277-best-buy-weekly-ad-112-118-50-trade-in-bonus/

LQX

Question for those with Gamers Club. I plan on asking my sister to sign up for me being that she works close to a BestBuy. What exactly do you need? I have a My Best Buy account. Should that and my email be enough for her to sign me up?

Sovereign

Banned
I haven't set foot in a Best Buy for many years, never ordered from their website, and have never signed up for the free rewardzone(?) card, which you apparently need to have first. What's the best way to do this deal? Just bring a game to checkout and say you want to sign up for Gamers Club Unlocked? Is there a physical card they give you?

kdoll08

It generally takes about 24 hours. I bought mine last night at about 7pm and I received my welcome email today at noon

Brannon

Best thing is no more $60 games for a while. Never bought them at full price anyway, but this is that thick, thick icing that you just wanna eat after eating all the cake portion of the cake.

newsguy

Do you have to buy a game that day or can you get this deal by paying 100% on a preorder?

Can someone please answer this? BB employees have no idea about this promo and I would like to pre order SO tonight so I can get the $10 reward. They claim you can't get the promotion by paying the balance of a pre order but I don't trust them.

there's literally no games i want. i went there today and everything was almost empty. i hope they aren't holding games back for black friday.

Boogiepop

Man, I was going to use the buy 2 get one coupon on preowned games, but it turns out that's store only and thus super, super limited. Oh well. Not like it was too important anyway.

Top Bottom